Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-04-2022, 11:02 PM   #1
adey
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
adey is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RB Z34 spare tire for WGNC34 BBK

Hi all!

I am trying to solve a spare tire problem.

SHORT VERSION:
Will the Z34 spare wheel/tire clear 360mm discs and OEM BREMBO calipers on my WGNC34?

LONG VERSION:
I have a Stagea WGNC34 (RB26DETT/AWD) with the BIOT big brake disk kit. This keeps the OEM BREMBO 4-pot calipers but up-sizes the brake discs to 2-piece 360mm units (OEM is 324mm).

Naturally, I test-fitted the spare tire that came with the car, and it won't clear the brakes. However, I do like the idea of having a spare, since the car is a daily, and I am fine to haul around a few extra pounds for the peace of mind. So, I started looking for alternatives.

Of course, first thought was: "What is the narrowest 17" TE37 made?" but I quickly realized that even if they made a 17*6 wheel, it would stick out too far in the spare tire slot.

That got me thinking about other OEM spares... and the Z34 came up. It has a 355mm OEM brake disk with those giant Akebono/Nissan calipers, and I figure they should fit my need... but I've never seen a photo of the Z34 on a spare tire, let alone details of how the brake clearance looks from behind the wheel.

*So, would anyone here volunteer to test fit their Z34 spare on the front of their car and take some detailed photos of the caliper clearance for me?? Or could you make a prediction on whether or not this would fit my needs?*

Thanks!!

(I never thought I would be posting something almost specific to the Z34, but here we are!)

And yes, I realize I would need to keep a set of 5 Z34 lugnuts with the spare wheel, since the mounting face is most likely different from my existing wheels.
adey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2022, 11:22 PM   #2
adey
Post Whore!

A little bit of supplementary info:

WGNC34 Spare:
17*4
145/70-17
(Dia: 24.99")

Z34 Spare:
17*4
145/80-17
(Dia: 26.13")

That makes the Z34 spare's over-all diameter of the tire about 1" wider/taller than the WGNC34's! I may have a spare tire trunk space fitment problem lol
Will have measure that up later, though...
Old 05-05-2022, 08:03 AM   #3
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you wanted to go full baller with a new wheel, there's a company called Modern Spare that makes new 18x4" alloy spares for various new cars that don't come with factory spares with different tire diameter options. They say it clears the Akebono 4-pots on the Infiniti Q50/Q60 but needs a spacer for the Brembo 6-pots on the R35 GT-R and Mustang GT350.

https://modernspare.com/product-cate...-kits/5x114-3/

Edit: apparently the 370Z with Akebonos also uses an 18" alloy spare with a 145/70R18, not 17".

https://www.redlineautoparts.com/nis...el-18x4-7z010/
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 11:12 PM   #4
adey
Post Whore!

Wow, thanks, that's a good find. Appreciate it!

Can you (anyone) think of any big brake clearance cars/spare tires that use the standard M12 cone-type lugnuts so I don't have to buy a spare set of Z34 lugnuts??

Cheers!
Old 05-06-2022, 08:36 AM   #5
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by adey View Post
Wow, thanks, that's a good find. Appreciate it!

Can you (anyone) think of any big brake clearance cars/spare tires that use the standard M12 cone-type lugnuts so I don't have to buy a spare set of Z34 lugnuts??

Cheers!
The RC350 F-Sport has an 18" spare and those have big front brakes roughly the same size as the Akebonos. Has the same bolt pattern but Lexus has a smaller hub bore, so may not actually fit. It's the yellow 5 spoke one if you go searching info on it.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:30 PM   #6
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Lancer Evo X has an 18" steel spare and Brembos. That's a 67.1 hub bore.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote