Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-30-2022, 05:11 PM   #1
gmorrone1214

Trader Rating: (0)
gmorrone1214 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S14 V8 Traction Issues

Hey all, I am trying to see if anyone has had similar issues and what they did to resolve/lessen it.

Currently, I am running a 6.0 LS motor with 410/400 hp/tq in my S14 with 275/40/17, 555R, and I get a ridiculous amount of wheel spin.....its scary to say the least, and the rear end whips like crazy.

BC Coilovers, ISR pro series everything besides F/R LCA.

350 VLSD.

Any guidance for better traction? 1-2-3 all spin like crazy without even full throttle.
gmorrone1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2022, 07:07 PM   #2
inferno s14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
inferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowninferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowninferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowninferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
be easy on the gas
inferno s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 05:44 AM   #3
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
How many miles are on the tires? and what is the date stamped into them? Also, what spring rates/damping levels are you running in the rears?
Old 05-01-2022, 07:05 AM   #4
nissankat
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
nissankat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
That seems odd. I have a similar LS setup making 405 wheel and running 245 RT660's. This setup hooks really well. I can easily go WOT in second and 3rd with little wheel spin. I am thinking you may have some binding causing the rear spring rate to increase under compression. Your 350z setup could be bottoming out the axles causing the suspension to bind. Or if you are running z32 aluminum spindles, they can cause the suspension to bind because the shock mounts at a different angle.
nissankat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:03 AM   #5
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Ditch the crap BC coils and add a tire with more side wall. Plenty of guys making more power than you do not have traction issues. My 255 DR’s hooked better than what you’re saying making more power, less trq.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:57 AM   #6
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
learn how to drive? Assuming you have good tires
Old 05-02-2022, 09:21 AM   #7
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
okay before we jump into get rid of this and put on that, lets just cover a few basics. The OP hasn't even replied to a few follow up questions. The tires may need to be broken in and put through a heat cycle, they could be really old tires, he may have his suspension setup a bit too tight, there are a lot of things that could be happening, so lets just take a collective breath

not saying the other ideas posted aren't the case, but issues like this don't always have a smoking gun that's an easy fix.
Old 05-02-2022, 09:34 AM   #8
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm with burns on this one.

Additionally, what is your alignment like? I'd imagine this is more of a suspension issue than a parts issue.

My KA makes really similar power and although it definitely has a much different power delivery, I run a 235/40/18 and don't nearly have the traction issues you have.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:50 PM   #9
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
A 275? Lolz

Call us back when your tire number starts with a 3.

275 is a front tire on a stock Cobra.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:17 AM   #10
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
At 3000lbs~ S14 ~600rwhp, 3.5:1VLSD, 4l80e, 27.6" diameter tire (cheap $90 normal tires)
+OEM suspension

500-600rwhp = No tire spin in 3rd, 1:1 transmission gear from 80mph+ roll
400-450rwhp = second gear(1.48:1), 40-100mph bit of spin near the top of second
~350rwhp = first gear(2.48:1) spins easy

To deal with 1st gear spin:
A. Early shift to second (about 5000rpm shift instead of 6200~)
B. Rolling into the throttle gradually
C. Close the cutout to raise Exhaust pressure = slower spool = saves the tires
D. Torque management during shift spikes boost pressure while removing torque

Lots of ways to gain traction but if its a daily driver I'd rather be going slow spinning the tires than 100+mph on city streets getting tickets
It will do a massive burnout from 0 to 100mph if I let it, just stay in it from a dead stop and the thing will smoky trail the entire time, It will shift to 2nd gear at about 15mph and keep the wheels going 100mph from 15 to almost 100, I love doing that
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:20 AM   #11
importdude
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
importdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to importdude
All valid points. posted

Check your air pressure, alignments, suspension. +BIG one is LEARN to adapt.

You cannot drive the same as you would say a stock KA or any other engine.

at some point you will have too much power x traction and you need to know how to drive it to have the max traction before spin.

If your spinning in 1st and you slam 2nd gear yes its gonna keep spinning

This is the tuning part of the car that cannot be bought like parts
fix the issue before throwing more parts in it .

Alignment - check your toe/caster/camber (*toe and caster* ) make sure they are same L/R (alot of alignment shops shoot for Green and do not spend the time to make sure both sides are the same)

Suspension- soften them alittle. Most guys think riding hard is good. for BC/tw coils. lean more on the soft side if 30 clicks. try 10 clicks from soft

Tires- 555R - Yes they are some nice sticky tires. But they need to heat up. are you having this issue AFTER they have been heated up?
what is your tire psi ?

built ka-t
importdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 03:39 AM   #12
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
On topic of tires and traction, I have a question(s)

I've never purchased 'good' tires before, just the cheapest.

But now I'm thinking of getting a better tire, looked at some reviews, pretty sure I want to try the Nitto 555 G2 as my first 'better than average' tire. It scores higher than the NT05 in most reviews, everything except traction dry of course.
But the trade off in treadwear seems worth it.

I need a daily driver tire, that won't heat cycle or whatever. And wont pickup debris.
Any other suggestion for street tire that has long life? I notice the nitto "motivo" has a huge treadwear number. How much worse than a G2 would the traction be...

And also, this is the exact one I'm looking at
NT555 G2:
295/45ZR18 112W XL Treaddepth: 10.2 Diameter inflated: 28.46 Width: 11.65 Rim size:9.5-(10.0)-11.0

Supposed to be 28.46" Tall! Will that fit on the back of my stock suspension S14?
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:12 AM   #13
Janz99
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Janz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
On topic of tires and traction, I have a question(s)

I've never purchased 'good' tires before, just the cheapest.

But now I'm thinking of getting a better tire, looked at some reviews, pretty sure I want to try the Nitto 555 G2 as my first 'better than average' tire. It scores higher than the NT05 in most reviews, everything except traction dry of course.
But the trade off in treadwear seems worth it.

I need a daily driver tire, that won't heat cycle or whatever. And wont pickup debris.
Any other suggestion for street tire that has long life? I notice the nitto "motivo" has a huge treadwear number. How much worse than a G2 would the traction be...

And also, this is the exact one I'm looking at
NT555 G2:
295/45ZR18 112W XL Treaddepth: 10.2 Diameter inflated: 28.46 Width: 11.65 Rim size:9.5-(10.0)-11.0

Supposed to be 28.46" Tall! Will that fit on the back of my stock suspension S14?
I have Nitto's NT05 285/40/18 on the back of my car and it fit without too much issue. However, I also have IDS coilovers that push the lower mount inboard an inch or more. With a completely stock suspension car I doubt it will fit, at a minimum I would think a set of coilovers would be needed.

-Ryan
Janz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:30 AM   #14
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janz99 View Post
I have Nitto's NT05 285/40/18 on the back of my car and it fit without too much issue. However, I also have IDS coilovers that push the lower mount inboard an inch or more. With a completely stock suspension car I doubt it will fit, at a minimum I would think a set of coilovers would be needed.

-Ryan
285?s fit just fine so long as you have the wheel specs and alignment settings correct. I have 285?s on my car as well, but my car has usable suspension settings, not smaller on is balls.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:56 AM   #15
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had old re11's on my 350hp rb once. I swear I couldnt try to accelerate on the highway or that mofo would try to fishtail right away. I replaced my tires as soon as I could. Awwww.... fun days