Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 05-29-2003, 07:03 AM   #1
nrcooled
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
nrcooled is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to nrcooled
East Coast Honda Challenge+ME= He1l yeah!

My main goal right now is to join ECHC after I get my racing licence. I have been to a HPDE through NASA but still in novice. So my questions are:

1. is it really feasible to race a four door (I know there is a civic wagon)
2. will I need tons of chasis reinforcement?
3. what are suggestions on taking the right track to w2w racing

Since I still have a lot of learning to do most of my lurking on Honda Tech has been strictly research and will remain that way. Just wanted to get any and all suggestions for my plans.

I have a 3 yr plan:
-keep going to HPDEs and progress as a driver
-enter racing school and get licenced
-build the civic continuously
safety
brakes
suspension
rubber
cooling
power
-then finally w2w
-hopefully sponsership

I am now seeing what DSC and Hippo are going through. It is one he1l of a build up process and I have support from the wife who excited that she will get track time in the 240 while I am in the civic.
Comments and suggestions are welcome. ::hoping to not have to put on flame retardant suit::
Old 05-29-2003, 07:11 AM   #2
nrcooled
Nissanaholic!

Thumbs up Pics of the new racer

Note the holes on the trunk where there was a massive wing, the ricer wheels, altezzas, and lowered stance from the aerospeed coils. I have got a lot of work including an engine swap (original has 250k on it) I am really looking forward to this so please all those out there please give me any good advice you have. I have researched the hell out of this so the basics have been covered
Old 05-29-2003, 08:28 AM   #3
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think the 5g DX/LX sedan should work great if you use a stock engine. They're subject to the same 2400lb minimum weight as the DX hatchbacks and coupes so I don't see any disadvantage. Going with a hybrid engine and racing in H1 just might get you owned, though.

A good cage builder should be able to take care of chassis bracing for you. It seems like the Honda Challenge is very loose about what they'll let you do with a cage.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 08:55 AM   #4
bbp
Zilvia Junkie

bbp is an unknown quantity at this point
Your plan looks good to me. HC is gaining popularity quickly. Stick with the plan and keep building the program over time. Hope to see you out there.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:16 AM   #5
nrcooled
Nissanaholic!

I hope everything works well. I just need to stay focused and keep progressing and not get a half built race car that just sits in my driveway.

Now all I have to do is get out of the Marine Corps and start making some real money so I can finance this venture

BTW I will never get rid of the s13!

Last edited by nrcooled; 05-29-2003 at 09:25 AM..
nrcooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 10:18 AM   #6
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

HippoSleek is an unknown quantity at this point
I posted some comments over there and will add to them here...

As a preliminary matter, I'd take a look at vtec.net or some site that shows you what the weight of the car will be. I don't think there is too much difference b/n the sedan and coupe, but I'm not too sure about that. The other issue is wheel base. FWD cars are push pigs to begin with. A short wheelbase, a la hatch or CRX, will get around the turns much faster. While you can gut like mad to reach weight, you can't change the wheelbase.

The other thing is that even the LX is an H4 car. H4 is the home of the CRX, EX, and Si hatches. That is a definate uphill struggle. The ITA CRX is the car to beat -- and I don't think even an EX 4 dr. can do it. H1 is a killer class. Without a min. weight and given the wheel base, I think you'd be looking for a race with people in H3.

If I were in your shoes, I would hold off and find a $2000 CRX or 4th Gen. Hatch that someone has built 50% of a race car out of. They come up at the end of every season. Heck, I've seen good tubs w/ cages go for $500. You'd have to do some work to add suspension bits, motor, etc. -- but you'd have to do that to your pile anyway. A lot of the work would already be done.

When I (briefly) considered the idea of ECHC, I would have bought a CRX or 4th Gen Civic (pre-built) or a GSR (although those get pricy! ). In the end, you get a car that you can find some racing in, can use in other series (SCCA) competitively, and maintains a fair resale value when you want to step up. If I were dead set on buliding a car, I'd go CRX. Cheap. Plentiful. And plenty of used parts out there from former race cars. (besides, two seaters are tha shizzle).

Either way, good luck -- I hope to see you out there soon!
HippoSleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 01:58 PM   #7
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
The 5th gen LX has the 1.5 SOHC non-VTEC, it's mechanically = to a 5th gen DX and would be classed with the DX in H5.
Old 05-29-2003, 02:37 PM   #8
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

HippoSleek is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face

Heh - oops. "H4... 92-present Civic (all 1.6L Not Otherwise Classified)"

I forgot the DX/LX had a 1.5. The funny part is that I wrote up, then erased, a bunch of stuff saying how it might be competitive in H5 but would be killed in H4. At any rate, the thrust of that argument was that there is 1-2 cars that ever run H5 and if you want a race, you have to go to H4.

Either way, here's a builder for you:

ebay

How do you like the Prote? I'm trying to convince my GF that that would be a good car for her/us... now that I officially own the most impractical car on the planet. I don't supposed heated seats are an option, are they?
HippoSleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 03:01 PM   #9
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Heated seats? No... but the heater warms up quickly. With all the wet weather I've had to run the defroster all the time.

It's an awesome car, no complaints from me. I'm not the best to judge a car's subjective qualities, though. Fit and finish, ride quality, noise, and power are average for the class, but the chassis is far above average. Plenty of front seat room, too... my 6'2" friend was comfortable in it.