Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:31 PM   #31
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
SinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Got my under dash support bar back from the blaster, primed and ready for paint:

And the paint to be used...Truck bed liner ftw!

And the final product:

Just the start of the mission: No More Rust Ever Again!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2008, 06:27 PM   #32
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

SinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfection
I finished my 350z climate control mold today to replace the old style lever controls, I was going to use the S14 digital climate controls but the complexity of the 350z wiring and incompatibility of the controls forces me to use these. I could probably get the S14 controls to work, but this is just plain easier and I like how the 350z controls look.

Started out with the two trim pieces, obviously the S14 trim on the left and the 350z on the right.

Roughly cut to fit and glued into place, all the while being careful to keep all mounting tabs in place.

Molded and sanded smooth ready for paint:

Painted with the texture back on, truck bed liner ftw!

The final product
Old 05-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #33
heyitzalan
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
heyitzalan has a brilliant futureheyitzalan has a brilliant futureheyitzalan has a brilliant futureheyitzalan has a brilliant futureheyitzalan has a brilliant futureheyitzalan has a brilliant futureheyitzalan has a brilliant futureheyitzalan has a brilliant futureheyitzalan has a brilliant futureheyitzalan has a brilliant futureheyitzalan has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
damn dude, this thread is cool. i'm looking forward for more process of your work. GOOD JOB.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:57 PM   #34
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitzalan View Post
damn dude, this thread is cool. i'm looking forward for more process of your work. GOOD JOB.
Thanks, I got so much to do but its so much fun.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #35
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Finished my 350z/240sx hybrid column today. I landed a new used column off ebay for $15! I opted to combine the two columns because I needed to change out the lock cylinders for the nats security and I wanted the look and the feel of the newer multi controls and the newer keys lol.
Columns side by side (S14 up top 350z on bottom obviously):

Columns would have swapped out almost perfectly if it wasnt for the ends being way different:

So after comparing and planning I decided to combine the two to make one...
Removed the locks for comparison:

Test fit of the 350z lock on the 240sx column:

Found out that due to the different shapes of the slots the locks fit into the 350z lock did not sit flush into the 240sx slot.
240sx one is round like so:

350z is oblonged like so:

But no problem, got out the drill with a metal file bit and went to town and got the lock to seat right:

Now I needed to change the mounting plates for the multi controls in order to use the newer 350z type controls, these are actually controls out of an altima, the reason I used them is because they have a switch for the fog lights that I will hook up to control my factory S15 fogs.
Here is a picture of them to compare (S14 left 350z right):

As you can see the 350z plate is alot larger, but the S14 steering shaft is fatter, so I busted out the grinder took some measurements, made my marks and went to work grinding the welds off to free the plate. End result:

In order to get the 350z plate to fit onto the S14 column the hole in the center needed to be bigger, no sweat. I got out a hole saw some screws and a piece of wood to do the deed. My trick, anytime I want to widen a hole in metal, either to make the circular hole bigger or just to turn a hole that is not circular into a clean circle, is to screw a piece of wood to the back side of the metal and use the wood to keep my drill straight to make a nice clean, circular hole. I did this like so:

After the hole was drilled I lined my bracket up with my marks I put on the column, went down to my buddies house and had him weld it back into place for me. Re-installed the lock cylinder with new shear screws from the $tealer$hip and here is the final product:

And the test fit with the new multi controls:

Steering column.............CHECK!
Old 05-15-2008, 01:47 AM   #36
CoasTek240
Post Whore!

CoasTek240 has much to be proud ofCoasTek240 has much to be proud ofCoasTek240 has much to be proud ofCoasTek240 has much to be proud ofCoasTek240 has much to be proud ofCoasTek240 has much to be proud ofCoasTek240 has much to be proud ofCoasTek240 has much to be proud ofCoasTek240 has much to be proud ofCoasTek240 has much to be proud ofCoasTek240 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to CoasTek240
wow mad props on the fab work. lookin hott.
-dave
Old 05-15-2008, 03:11 AM   #37
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Dude this thread looked a lot like my S14 build, minus the S15 front and VQ nonsense, but you're doing a much better job documenting everything. Are you going to keep your fuse box? If so, did you take any notes on which wires out of the body harness to keep?

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 05-15-2008, 03:37 AM   #38
Flipzide
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
Flipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Great build so far. Definitely one I'm keeping my eye on .

D-Street.net | bcuison.wordpress.com
Old 05-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #39
UNDFTD
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
UNDFTD is not welcome here anymoreUNDFTD is not welcome here anymoreUNDFTD is not welcome here anymoreUNDFTD is not welcome here anymoreUNDFTD is not welcome here anymoreUNDFTD is not welcome here anymoreUNDFTD is not welcome here anymoreUNDFTD is not welcome here anymoreUNDFTD is not welcome here anymoreUNDFTD is not welcome here anymoreUNDFTD is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
sick project, props
Old 05-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #40
touge monster
Zilvia Addict

touge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to touge monster
nice build! Can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 05-15-2008, 12:37 PM   #41
low and slow
Zilvia FREAK!

low and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfection
Subscribing because of all the awesome work you are doing. Keep it up, man, nice job.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:21 PM   #42
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Dude this thread looked a lot like my S14 build, minus the S15 front and VQ nonsense, but you're doing a much better job documenting everything. Are you going to keep your fuse box? If so, did you take any notes on which wires out of the body harness to keep?
Basically I am just taking the easier route and using the full 350z harness and adapting plugs as I need them to power things such as the headlights and tailights, seems like the logical thing to do since everything is stripped out of the car, plus it will freshen up the interior look by adding newer model nissan parts.

Thanks for all the compliments guys!
Old 05-15-2008, 06:53 PM   #43
francogt1
Zilvia Member

francogt1 will become famous soon enoughfrancogt1 will become famous soon enoughfrancogt1 will become famous soon enoughfrancogt1 will become famous soon enoughfrancogt1 will become famous soon enough
very nice project i wouldent have the patience to do such a build and document it all like you are oustanding.
again i wish you the best of luck and hopefully you have no Problems or setbacks in the future!

Franco
Old 05-15-2008, 07:01 PM   #44
lolatclint
BANNED

Trader Rating: (1)
lolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to lolatclint
hard worker=nice project. cant wait to see the end result
Old 05-15-2008, 08:27 PM   #45
shadow_s13

shadow_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
NICE NICE work so far. ^_^
Old 05-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #46
midnight zenki
Zilvia Junkie

midnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfection
Thumbs up

This is the most refreshing thread that I have opened in months in the chat section. Congratulations on actually making a worthwhile build thread that is breaking newish ground and has inspired custom work. Thank you sir
Old 05-16-2008, 10:40 AM   #47
CylonFrakker
Zilvia Addict

CylonFrakker has a reputation beyond reputeCylonFrakker has a reputation beyond reputeCylonFrakker has a reputation beyond reputeCylonFrakker has a reputation beyond reputeCylonFrakker has a reputation beyond reputeCylonFrakker has a reputation beyond reputeCylonFrakker has a reputation beyond reputeCylonFrakker has a reputation beyond reputeCylonFrakker has a reputation beyond reputeCylonFrakker has a reputation beyond reputeCylonFrakker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to CylonFrakker
I totally agree with midnight zenki this is one of the best build threads so far that I have read. Just for the sheer fact that you stepping into uncharted territories with combining different nissan model components into your interior. I really like the altima controls and the 350Z HVAC controls. Makes me wonder wahts next! +349573495743 To you my friend for being so adventurous.

UGR.....SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES....
Old 05-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #48
silviavert
Leaky Injector

silviavert is a well-known jackass
this is freaking AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good Work!!!
Props to you man!
Old 05-16-2008, 09:36 PM   #49
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight zenki View Post
This is the most refreshing thread that I have opened in months in the chat section. Congratulations on actually making a worthwhile build thread that is breaking newish ground and has inspired custom work. Thank you sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonFrakker View Post
I totally agree with midnight zenki this is one of the best build threads so far that I have read. Just for the sheer fact that you stepping into uncharted territories with combining different nissan model components into your interior. I really like the altima controls and the 350Z HVAC controls. Makes me wonder wahts next! +349573495743 To you my friend for being so adventurous.
Thanks guys, I just like to be different. No offense to everyone, but Im just not down with the typical SR swap and clean stock interior. I like to change it up a bit. I have built enough SR powered fwd cars and frankly, I have grown bored of that engine. Its a great engine and I still like working on them but I wanted to get my hands dirty with something newer and bigger, VQ35 just seemed like the way to go. With the VQ35 came the interior mods. I love gizmos and gadgets so I will have alot more to add to this car.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:25 AM   #50
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Nice +1 for the fab work. I am defintely lookin forward to the rest of the build.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:34 PM   #51
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Ok so I bought this black leather covered steering wheel from a 05 Maxima off ebay for $25.00, to go along with my newer theme, going to make all the controls on the wheel work too.

As you can see it comes with no air bag, well I looked up pricing for a used, unactivated air bag and the price starts around $400. So I was like hell-to-the-NO! Especially since I am not putting air bags in this car and I was planning to gut the air bag out. So I went to the local bone yard and got a deployed air bag center for free and went to work. Here is how it looked when I got it:

Removed the air bag and the exploeded device thing:

What was left:

Used super glue to temporarly hold everything back in place while the good stuff ( gorilla glue ) did the permanent bonding and held it all in place with tape for the facial reconstruction:

The result:

Put the metal frame back in for the next step:

Filled her up with light weight expanding great stuff to support it (god I love that stuff)

Prepped for some filling and smoothing:

Smoothing it over to hide the creases and cracks from the air bag deployment:

All sanded and ready for final covering:

Black leather to do the deed and match the steering wheel:

Stretching the leather for the clean look:

The result:

And the final touch to complete the new silvia feel:

Lots more to come!
Old 05-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #52
francogt1
Zilvia Member

francogt1 will become famous soon enoughfrancogt1 will become famous soon enoughfrancogt1 will become famous soon enoughfrancogt1 will become famous soon enoughfrancogt1 will become famous soon enough
very nice sinister you deff are very creative.
keep them cominnng =]
Old 05-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #53
theslows13
Zilvia Member

theslows13 will become famous soon enoughtheslows13 will become famous soon enoughtheslows13 will become famous soon enough
freaking amazing man. +rep
Old 05-17-2008, 09:03 PM   #54
gregfarz78
Zilvia Member

gregfarz78 is on a distinguished road
Nice fabrication very creative

How much did it run you to have the dash support blasted? Mine is rusted as hell too it would probably take me hours to do it myself
Old 05-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #55
MunsonAuto
Zilvia Member

MunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to MunsonAuto
Great work bro, very creative work! Keep it up. + 1 for you
Old 05-17-2008, 09:44 PM   #56
DrtyRat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
DrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterSntra91 View Post
Well I posted the start of my project a little while ago, it wasnt enough of a start for the moderators, so Ill try this again, here goes:.........
Pay attention to this, all of the little crybaby's out there. Here's a guy who did something that didn't fly, got his thread locked. What did he do? Did he make a little thread to cry about the big bad mods, and how much he hates zilvia, and rep, and blah, blah, blah. No. He understood that there are rules, and they have to be followed. He waited until he had enough pics to qualify for a "build thread", not a "look I spray painted my front fender thread", then he posted it, and added something to the forum in the process. Its really not that difficult to do the right thing. +1 to you sir, you've earned it. BTW, I can't stand the S15 front end

Quote:
America... Too soft to place a killer in a well deserved tomb, But brave enough to kill a baby before he leaves the womb
Old 05-18-2008, 01:14 AM   #57
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Haha Drty, it's refreshing, isn't it? Great job with that steering wheel ~

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 05-18-2008, 09:10 AM   #58
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregfarz78 View Post
Nice fabrication very creative

How much did it run you to have the dash support blasted? Mine is rusted as hell too it would probably take me hours to do it myself
It didnt cost me anything, a guy I know has a big blasting booth and he blasted it for me, he will be doing the whole car soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyRat View Post
BTW, I can't stand the S15 front end
Yeah I know I am going to get that comment quite often, but to each his own, but I also think it goes along with the newer feel I am giving this car. As far as my first thread being locked Ill admit I was a pissed and I even bitched at ThatGuy through PMs a little, but then I read some other hey look at me threads and I realized what the reason for the lock was.

Thanks for all the compliments guys.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #59
gregfarz78
Zilvia Member

gregfarz78 is on a distinguished road
I'll be watching this thread for wiring up the vq also, I'm attempting the same thing and I'm starting to agree with you its probably easier to use all the wiring from the z instead of trying to make the stock s13 stuff work, plus it gives a classic car that new car feel
Old 05-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #60
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregfarz78 View Post
I'll be watching this thread for wiring up the vq also, I'm attempting the same thing and I'm starting to agree with you its probably easier to use all the wiring from the z instead of trying to make the stock s13 stuff work, plus it gives a classic car that new car feel
You could also use all the wiring from a Maxima or a Altima the 350z wiring was just available for me.
Closed Thread