Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Polls

Polls Post All Polls in Here.

View Poll Results: RB25DET or Built KA-T?
RB25DET 63 48.46%
Built KA24DE-T 61 46.92%
Other (make a post about it) 6 4.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 12:13 AM   #31
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
I know what I know and when I don't know I don't act like I do.. hahaha
yah.. i originally wanted to go RB so I researched it alot.. I would love to have one but it seemed a little out of my price range and 2 years ago parts weren't so available to me for the RB as they are now, so KA was my choice and turbo fell into my lap.

I'll keep you posted on my build and give you a build-cost tally you may be right.. I sometimes get overzealous on finishing deadlines and costs.. we shall see

and dude.. I'd love to ride in your RB someday..
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2005, 12:24 AM   #32
MaD1337M3DRiV3r
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
MaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Personally i think the RB isnt worth a crap, it weighs more than a small block chevy. The KA is great if you do your own work and know what you are doing. I say forget both of them.. get this:
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...99&prmenbr=361

or you could just get a junkyard 350 sbc and make way more power for less
Old 09-30-2005, 12:33 AM   #33
ALTRNTV
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
ALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ALTRNTV
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD1337M3DRiV3r
Personally i think the RB isnt worth a crap
This coming from someone with 1337 in their username..
Old 09-30-2005, 12:58 AM   #34
MaD1337M3DRiV3r
Zilvia Junkie

MaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkademikONE
This coming from someone with 1337 in their username..
and this is coming from someone who claims to be an “academic”, but cant spell.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:10 AM   #35
ALTRNTV
Post Whore!

ALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfection
Nice comeback.

The topic asked for KA-T or RB25, not any of the engines you posted.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:12 AM   #36
MaD1337M3DRiV3r
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Nice comeback.

The topic asked for KA-T or RB25, not any of the engines you posted.
RB25DET 20 46.51%
Built KA24DE-T 20 46.51%
Other (make a post about it) 3 6.98%

Old 09-30-2005, 01:24 AM   #37
ALTRNTV
Post Whore!

PWNED.

You don't really think he's gonna go with an LS7 do you. He's already made his mind and went with a KA-T. Inline 6 turbo > junkyard 350 sbc (as you said).

I'd go with an RB25DET myself. KA-T's are great and all, but you get 2 more liters and the torque and powerband is greater with the I6.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:09 AM   #38
MaD1337M3DRiV3r
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
PWNED.

You don't really think he's gonna go with an LS7 do you. He's already made his mind and went with a KA-T. Inline 6 turbo > junkyard 350 sbc (as you said).

I'd go with an RB25DET myself. KA-T's are great and all, but you get 2 more liters and the torque and powerband is greater with the I6.
- I suggested the LS7 because the poll requested suggestions.
- He can have a KA-T and still get a LS7 later on, no one is bound to one motor
- Please re-read my post, i stated that the junkyard 350 will make more power for less
- You would rather go with a rb25, so you dont have either...
- 2 more liters? The KA is a 2.4 liter engine, the RB25DET is a 2.5 liter engine.
- torque + powerband... it depends on a lot of variables
Old 09-30-2005, 02:27 AM   #39
ALTRNTV
Post Whore!

Woops. Got me there. I meant 2 more cylinders, not liters. Haha

I've ridden in my friends 300rwhp SOHC KA-T and boy did that puppy pull, HARD. A week after that, my long time friend Jon visits me with a surprise under his hood. RB20DET. He showed me his dyno sheet and it was 305rwhp and something like 320tq @12psi, or close to that. He took me for a drive. RB hands down. Mind you that his was an RB20, I've yet to feel how an RB25 feels like. I'm waiting for my friend to finish his RB25 install.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:24 AM   #40
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
drift freaq - When you say "RB"...you mean "RB25DET" right? Because I drove a RB20DET...but I think that's different...or am I wrong? I was browsing some Skyline forums and I read or skimpped over threads where guys blow piston rings on the RB25 when they crank up the boost. Why is this?...does the drivetrain layout have something to do with it? (longer driveshaft = more work) How much can the RB25 handle on stock internals?
Old 09-30-2005, 10:06 AM   #41
MaD1337M3DRiV3r
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleS14
drift freaq - When you say "RB"...you mean "RB25DET" right? Because I drove a RB20DET...but I think that's different...or am I wrong? I was browsing some Skyline forums and I read or skimpped over threads where guys blow piston rings on the RB25 when they crank up the boost. Why is this?...does the drivetrain layout have something to do with it? (longer driveshaft = more work) How much can the RB25 handle on stock internals?
"poor ringlandings" is what i read was the problem. I too have seen those threads where people pull out a piston and it crumbles.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:47 PM   #42
ALTRNTV
Post Whore!

Quote:
drift freaq - When you say "RB"...you mean "RB25DET" right?
Yes. He means the 25. He has one in his car and is currently making install kits for it.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:09 PM   #43
vinhisbored
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (15)
vinhisbored will become famous soon enoughvinhisbored will become famous soon enoughvinhisbored will become famous soon enoughvinhisbored will become famous soon enoughvinhisbored will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vinhisbored
Back on topic, I say the built KA-T, just because 'to me' it's more affordable, and it's going to be in my daily driver, I don't have the time, money, and I need it to get around. [Well, speaking with a basic turbo kit first, then working up to having it built.] My friend is going through a RB25 swap as we speak, and he's spent alot.. I think in the end, around 9k, but then that's with 'custom fabrication' done, but very clean work.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:52 PM   #44
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
I think those guys might have been pushing it real hard. basically you can run a RB25 all day at 11lbs of boost without a problem. Also stock internals can handle large numbers. Without changing the oil pump you can run up to 400-500 HP change your oil pump and you won't run into the ringland problem they are talking about.

Now to address vinhisbored. The whole point of us designing the kit was to take all the expensive fabrication stuff your talking about out of the picture. I outlined it before, I will outline it again $2500 for a clip. $1000 for a kit . $3500 then if you wire yourself you save $300 but otherwise $300 for wiring . We are also developing a FMIC kit.
Now you could run that with the stock manifold and the sidemount intercooler with a boost controller and your probably going to get close to 250 whp. Bolt on a few upgrades like the Greddy intake, Q45 throttle body, fmic and your going to get into the 300 whp range at 11lb's. thats still at the $4800 mark. Now thats a reliable daily driver as well.
You will spend that much or more to get the KAT there, and in the end with the RB you still have a better engine.
Go ahead, go with the KAT because its cheap in the beginning, but once you start going for the HP, its going to add up quickly.
If your poor, you should not be entering this discussion to begin with, because basically, either setup KAT or RB, is going to cost you somewhere in the 4-5k range, to get those HP figures we have been talking about.

I just feel if your going to spend that money, do it on a engine that is nice to start. Not one that was built for the American car buyer, who does not care about smooth and high revving, they just want torque.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
Old 10-01-2005, 11:51 PM   #45
TheSnail
Nissanaholic!

TheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to all
The run down of what driftfreaq is saying is: HP is addictive, There is no such thing as enough. While there may be a difference in initial costs, down the road hp for the 25 will be pennies to the dollar. My old boss was like some of you guys. Kept telling me "Why would you get a rb25 when you can build a sr with more hp for the same price as a stock 25" and my response was always "Then what".
Old 10-02-2005, 12:10 AM   #46
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnail
The run down of what driftfreaq is saying is: HP is addictive, There is no such thing as enough. While there may be a difference in initial costs, down the road hp for the 25 will be pennies to the dollar. My old boss was like some of you guys. Kept telling me "Why would you get a rb25 when you can build a sr with more hp for the same price as a stock 25" and my response was always "Then what".
A fitting finish!!! I do not think there needs to be anymore debate in this thread, its pretty much game over!! RB wins!! If you KA guys cannot see the logic behind this, then.....

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 10-02-2005, 02:11 AM   #47
vinhisbored
Zilvia FREAK!

vinhisbored will become famous soon enoughvinhisbored will become famous soon enoughvinhisbored will become famous soon enoughvinhisbored will become famous soon enoughvinhisbored will become famous soon enough
Yes, I did read the first outline, and I understand completely where you are coming from, there's power, and the internals are pretty fine for a while. In the beginning, I was also planning about the whole RB25 thing (like exactly a year ago) but then after researching about how much money I'd have to come up with, that just died. For now, when I get my basic turbo kit running, I hope to be sufficient until I can slowly work my way up. It'll be fun either way.. and who knows.. maybe the second project will be RB25 and up..
Old 10-02-2005, 03:48 AM   #48
240SeXy!
BANNED

240SeXy! is making his/her stupidity well-known240SeXy! is making his/her stupidity well-known240SeXy! is making his/her stupidity well-known240SeXy! is making his/her stupidity well-known240SeXy! is making his/her stupidity well-known
RB

I laugh becouse I got a complete front clip for 1,000 bucks..

and yes it will be better than sr's and wastefull Ls1-7. For this price, how could i not buy it, When i start putting it in my s14 ill keep you guys updated..

:P cheerz
Old 10-02-2005, 10:56 AM   #49
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SeXy!
I laugh becouse I got a complete front clip for 1,000 bucks..

and yes it will be better than sr's and wastefull Ls1-7. For this price, how could i not buy it, When i start putting it in my s14 ill keep you guys updated..

:P cheerz
congrats , now you can come buy the best install kit on the market from us. email me for pics and info. shameless self promotion here

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 10-02-2005, 01:01 PM   #50
vinhisbored
Zilvia FREAK!

Where did you get one for $1000? I want one now . Someone go buy my KA-T KIT! Haha!
Old 10-02-2005, 01:46 PM   #51
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinhisbored
Where did you get one for $1000? I want one now . Someone go buy my KA-T KIT! Haha!
I don't know, but he has been posting in peoples for sale threads, about how he got the same part they are selling for cheaper and parading it. Its like ok we got the point you got a hookup. I get hookups on stuff too, but I don't go shouting to the world about it. That as we know breeds resentment.

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 10-02-2005, 09:29 PM   #52
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
I guess I will just wait until this install kit comes out. I fear prices for the RB will increase though....so who knows.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:10 PM   #53
haggards13
Zilvia Member

haggards13 has made poor choiceshaggards13 has made poor choiceshaggards13 has made poor choiceshaggards13 has made poor choiceshaggards13 has made poor choiceshaggards13 has made poor choices
Send a message via AIM to haggards13
Quote:
I guess I will just wait until this install kit comes out. I fear prices for the RB will increase though....so who knows.
I hate that you're right.
Hopefully I can get mine within the next 2 months.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:05 PM   #54
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

guys, the install kit is out for the S13 and being tested on a S14 sometime in the next month. email me for more info [email protected]
P.S. We just have not done an official product announcement of the install kit as of yet.

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 10-04-2005, 07:30 PM   #55
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

kouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kouki_s14
i am also considering both options as of now and ka-t is winning for one main reason
i would LOVE to have the RB in my car, but im in so cali and i get scared that a cop will pull me over and will ask me to pop my hood, im not sure what will happen, but the chance of it getting towed away is there and i dont want to risk spending all that money on the RB and get it taken away. yes turbo KA is also illegal but it's a lot less eye catching, maybe i can hide the turbo with a heat shield or something. theres nothing that can hide a huge 6 banger

if anyone has ideas of how to help me get through that then please inform all of us, im sure there are a lot of people on the forums that would like to know, otherwise i think i may just have to stick with the KA
Old 10-04-2005, 09:36 PM   #56
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Face it , if your going to go KA turbo the cop is going to see. They are no longer that ignorant. If your that scared about getting pulled over and losing it, you should not be doing anything performance wise. Just sell your car and buy something powerful new and legal.
Fact is I live in L.A. just like you do and unless your down in Culver City or out drag racing in the San Fernando Valley or driving stupidly out in Industry you really do not have to worry. My friends and I have driven modded engine cars here for years. The trick to not getting pulled over is not being stupid. Also don't run an exhaust that screams pull me over. The RB with the right exhaust is so quit you cannot hear it. With my exhaust it has a throaty healthy six sound but guess what ? I drove by no less than 5 cops in Torrance/Gardena yesterday afternoon on tuning runs never once did they look at me.
Oh ya my exhaust is a Buddy Club Spec II with a high flow cat.

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 10-04-2005, 09:39 PM   #57
lucky7
Post Whore!

lucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfection
Quote:
curious as to why you feel that prices for RB's will increase. there are a billions +1 more 25/20's than 26's. just wondering.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:55 PM   #58
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky7
curious as to why you feel that prices for RB's will increase. there are a billions +1 more 25/20's than 26's. just wondering.
one word , Popularity.
As popularity increases importers raise prices. a few years ago a RB25 clip could be had for as cheap as $1500 because most importers could not sell them. Everyone wanted a SR and no one had really publicly addressed the install. Mckinney was just showing their install kit at the National convention and it looked ugly . hahahhahhahhahha
It took a few years for people to realize that for around a 1k more difference over the SR install they could have a engine in their car that already put out 250hp stock and with a boost controller and some minor bolt ons could be pushed to 300whp on a completely stock engine. Ya you could do it with the SR but the cost of the bolts on the SR would wind up costing you the same amount to do the RB.
The reason the RB has started to get popular is because unlike a SR the RB has gobs of torque stock. Plus a very smooth revving linear torque and power band that is broad and flat . From idle to redline the engine pulls like a freight train. The SR is like a wild horse calm at the bottom with nothing there and then all of sudden bucking and pulling . I can roll down the street in 5th gear at legal speeds because of the torque and power I have . I was on the freeway yesterday and I went to shift out of 5th to another gear because it felt like it was in third. SR does not do that.

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 10-04-2005, 10:28 PM   #59
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

Yea, as mentioned before...I fear price increases due to popularity and eventually scarity on good motors. Heck...the new Fast and Furious movie is suppose to have a RB-powered Mustang. If this holds true, who knows what kind of price gouging were going to see.

Okay...so I'm interested in this install kit...and I will e-mail you later about it drift freq, but I have one more question....

tuning...how do you go about tuning this motor?
Old 10-04-2005, 11:17 PM   #60
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
use the rb ECU, don't need to tune right away
Closed Thread