Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-08-2016, 06:44 PM   #7021
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
GKTECH is making a name for him/her selfGKTECH is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Hi Nikzilla,

You could email us and we would be able to assist.

As for the bolt not going through, this is the first time I have ever heard of this and I've just checked a few of the caster rods we have here and they're all fine. Have you tried both sides? To confirm the bolts supplied should be M12x1.25.

In regards to the swaybar in order to get maximum clearance with our tension rods not only do we bend the tension rod but we also offset it on both sides. This does require modification to the base of the swaybar end link holder. A dremel or grinder is probably the easiest tool to use.

If there's anything else that we can help you with or you have any other info please email me directly at [email protected]

Regards,
Greg
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2016, 06:57 PM   #7022
Toaster
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Toaster is not welcome here anymoreToaster is not welcome here anymoreToaster is not welcome here anymoreToaster is not welcome here anymoreToaster is not welcome here anymoreToaster is not welcome here anymoreToaster is not welcome here anymoreToaster is not welcome here anymoreToaster is not welcome here anymoreToaster is not welcome here anymoreToaster is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wouldnt that weaken the mounting point?

Why does GKtech not just remove this in production?
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #7023
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

GKTECH is making a name for him/her selfGKTECH is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
Wouldnt that weaken the mounting point?

Why does GKtech not just remove this in production?
The washer just helps to locate the OEM style rubber for the end link, it's no big deal.

This is an OEM LCA, our LCA's do not have this style locator.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #7024
Nikzilla
Zilvia Member

Nikzilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKTECH View Post
Hi Nikzilla,

You could email us and we would be able to assist.

As for the bolt not going through, this is the first time I have ever heard of this and I've just checked a few of the caster rods we have here and they're all fine. Have you tried both sides? To confirm the bolts supplied should be M12x1.25.

In regards to the swaybar in order to get maximum clearance with our tension rods not only do we bend the tension rod but we also offset it on both sides. This does require modification to the base of the swaybar end link holder. A dremel or grinder is probably the easiest tool to use.

If there's anything else that we can help you with or you have any other info please email me directly at [email protected]

Regards,
Greg

That's really disappointing. I've test fit my friends ISIS angled tension rods, and they provide about twice as much wheel clearance, and have no fitment issues whatsoever (no sway bar mods).

On top of that, I already painted my LCA's after cutting off the bump stops. So I now have to do that all over again. Nowhere on the gktech website does it mention anything about having to modify the LCA to fit these tension rods. http://www.gktech.com/index.php/v3-s...mid-april.html

As for the bolts, I confirmed that the bolts provided are indeed M12x1.25. I've tried putting them in through both sides of the tension rod, and I've also tried it on the other (matching) tension rod. I then found some other M12x1.25 bolts I had laying around, and they had the same problem going through the hole.
Nikzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #7025
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Very odd indeed as as mentioned I have not ever had a single issue with the bolt hole being the incorrect size.

Please email me and I will provide a resolution: [email protected]

Regards,
Greg
Old 02-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #7026
sr vegas 240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
sr vegas 240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
My big angle tension arms weld this up or I might make a new end and weld it up to the threaded end
sr vegas 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:11 PM   #7027
Joobie610
Leaky Injector

Joobie610 is making a name for him/her selfJoobie610 is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr vegas 240 View Post
My big angle tension arms weld this up or I might make a new end and weld it up to the threaded end
Right idea, but I wouldn't trust the amount of porosity in that.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2016, 05:14 PM   #7028
2_Liter_Turbo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr vegas 240 View Post
I hope you're kidding...
Instagram: @SS.Maxey
2_Liter_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #7029
sr vegas 240
Zilvia Junkie

No not really
Old 02-10-2016, 05:19 PM   #7030
2_Liter_Turbo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
You spend money on drop knuckles and coilovers, but hack up a tension arm rather than buying a legit one? (I get the LCA). I would not run that thing at all man, it's going to fatigue, break, and cause a whole world of hurt. Just warning ya.
Instagram: @SS.Maxey
2_Liter_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:42 PM   #7031
sr vegas 240
Zilvia Junkie

I appreciate the concern but I'm out of funds it's just an idea not sure what I'll do yet.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:37 PM   #7032
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
oh wow, just save up until you have enough for proper tension rods.... I had some GKtech ones for cheap not too long ago.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:05 AM   #7033
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
You are soon to be nominated for a darwin award.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:46 AM   #7034
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Yea don't run that man. I neglected my wheel hitting my tension rod and when it finally broke it pretty much totaled the car. It snapped my coilover, bent my flca, destroyed my subframe, bent my tie rod, and it push the wheel into the firewall hard enough to put a hole into the cabin.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #7035
stuckonfresh
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
stuckonfresh is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I also would not use that tie rod the way it is. It was a good thought for clearance purposes, but doesnt seem structurally secure. I think the risk of using the tie rod like that is MUCH higher than the reward of added clearance. If this breaks there is nothing to hold tension on that side of the car during braking (or any external force working in a lateral/horizontal direction against the FLCA)- the whole FLCA gains freedom to move laterally and the subframe mounting points are not strong enough to keep it from moving laterally.

stuckonfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:13 AM   #7036
Jorgs_7
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Jorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
lol @ welding ebay tension arms for clearance.

Please post pics afterwards atleast. May as well try if you're willing to risk a wheel.
Jorgs_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:42 PM   #7037
epik1
Zilvia Member

epik1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikzilla View Post
So I recently purchased the new v3 gktech s13 tension rods, but I've run into a couple of issues with them.

To start off, the bolts provided by gktech for bolting the tension rod the LCA, do not actually fit the holes. They go in a bit, and then start binding and I'm unable to push them in anymore.

Here you can see the scratches on the inside of the hole where the bolt is binding. I've tried turning the bolt with a wrench but it binds up really hard and I'm pretty sure if I go any harder I'll damage the threads on the bolt.

My second issue, is that the tension rod does not clear the sway bar mounting point. Here you can see how much the tension rod overlaps over where the sway bar bushing is supposed to go. Because of this, the tension rod can't even sit flat on the LCA, so I'm unable to put it on the car.

For this picture, I moved the tension rod the side of the sway bar mounting point so that it sits flush with the LCA. You can see how far off the holes are.

All this test fitting was done with the gktech tension rod set to the same length as the OEM.

Not sure if applicable for you, and sorry if this is a stupid suggestion .
I ran into this same issue (rod not matching up to LCA mounting points) but not with GKtech arms.
I'm a noob, was putting back together my front-end suspension, make sure there is no tension in any of the connecting suspension parts.
(S13 w/ S14 LCA [not modified], aftermarket endlinks, aftermarket sway bar, stock knuckle)

ex. if I tightened up sway bar endlink before bolting up the tension/castor rod, the mounting points wouldn't match up.
epik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:26 PM   #7038
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

That's a good suggestion epik1 however unfortunately in this case it seems as though 1 of the caster rod holes wasn't machined all the way out which is what was stopping the bolt going through all the way.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:37 PM   #7039
epik1
Zilvia Member

epik1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKTECH View Post
That's a good suggestion epik1 however unfortunately in this case it seems as though 1 of the caster rod holes wasn't machined all the way out which is what was stopping the bolt going through all the way.
yeah, I read that as well, only had a bit of input on the "holes not lining up with LCA" issue.
epik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:48 PM   #7040
sr vegas 240
Zilvia Junkie

Just ordered my self some gktech lcas can't wait
Old 02-20-2016, 11:21 AM   #7041
yoni_nismo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (29)
yoni_nismo has a reputation beyond reputeyoni_nismo has a reputation beyond reputeyoni_nismo has a reputation beyond reputeyoni_nismo has a reputation beyond reputeyoni_nismo has a reputation beyond reputeyoni_nismo has a reputation beyond reputeyoni_nismo has a reputation beyond reputeyoni_nismo has a reputation beyond reputeyoni_nismo has a reputation beyond reputeyoni_nismo has a reputation beyond reputeyoni_nismo has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Does anyone know if you can use stock s14 moog inner and outer tie rods with the PBM front knuckles? It seems to be short when doing my initial tape measure alignment before I take it to the shop.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:21 PM   #7042
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
I would presume that tie-rod combination is too short.

Do you have everything mocked up? If you have a minimum of 1xDiameter (12?14?mm) thread engagement between the inner and outer you will be fine.

If you need a little bit more length, the easiest thing would be to switch to Maxima outers as they are 1" longer than S14. There's a post in this thread with the exact year of Maxima.

Last edited by derass; 02-20-2016 at 01:58 PM..
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:06 PM   #7043
Nikzilla
Zilvia Member

Nikzilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Having more issues with gktech.

I assembled my other tension rod today, only to notice that the threads on the 2nd rod end are damaged. I couldn't thread in the rod end. I never took it out of it's packaging, so there is no way I could have caused the damage.

I filed down the damaged threads to get it to go in, but it's still binding hard and is very hard to turn the rod end.

I also bought some gktech offset rack spacers. As you can see in the pictures, the notches don't line up.

This is the right side of the car (I tried fitting both of the spacers).

This is the left.

Nikzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:24 AM   #7044
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Do you have an early model S13? The notches were in different positions on 89/90 models I believe.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:55 PM   #7045
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
From the PBM website:

derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:51 PM   #7046
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

[email protected] any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact us and we'll gladly be of assistance (it's much easier via email as we can easily miss new posts in a forum)
Old 02-24-2016, 10:32 AM   #7047
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (37)
dazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Aftermarket rear drop knuckles vs 300zx aluminum rear knuckles.

Wondering if it's really necessary to get the drop knuckles. I was mainly considering them for the corrected suspension geometry and the spherical bearings would be a plus too.

Plan on raising the subframe with SPL bushings which should help. Car won't see any track time, just a low street car.

Are the 300zx uprights a good idea for a low car? I remember reading somewhere about the strut mounts binding in certain situations, I kinda forget exactly when. Obviously I'd need to get new lower mounts, but that's not a big deal as I'm sure Stance sells them seperately.
dazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #7048
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed View Post
Aftermarket rear drop knuckles vs 300zx aluminum rear knuckles.

Wondering if it's really necessary to get the drop knuckles. I was mainly considering them for the corrected suspension geometry and the spherical bearings would be a plus too.

Plan on raising the subframe with SPL bushings which should help. Car won't see any track time, just a low street car.

Are the 300zx uprights a good idea for a low car? I remember reading somewhere about the strut mounts binding in certain situations, I kinda forget exactly when. Obviously I'd need to get new lower mounts, but that's not a big deal as I'm sure Stance sells them seperately.

Honestly you're fine if it's a street car. The strut mounts only bind if you have an S14, S13's line up great.

I would suggest getting sphericals if you really want it to have proper function, it's huge to have zero bind in your suspension and let the dampers do the work.

If you have an S14 you'll be in pro-squat, but you can move the lower arm mount if you're really concerned about that.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:09 AM   #7049
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (37)
dazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Honestly you're fine if it's a street car. The strut mounts only bind if you have an S14, S13's line up great.

I would suggest getting sphericals if you really want it to have proper function, it's huge to have zero bind in your suspension and let the dampers do the work.

If you have an S14 you'll be in pro-squat, but you can move the lower arm mount if you're really concerned about that.
Thank you for the input.

I have an S14. Honestly, I think when you add it all up; Z32 uprights ($75-$100), SPL bearing kit ($329), Stance Z32 lower mounts ($100?), I'll probably be spending less in the end just getting the PBM drop knuckles ($400).

Might be overkill, I just want the geometry back to or close to normal.
dazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #7050
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
I'd highly suggest the GKtech knuckles.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote