Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #1501
Csomme
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
Csomme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You guys running a Power FC with a 2871r and the EBC, wheredo you keep your boost settings at? lol I mess around with mine constantly and just now got it where I like it.
Csomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #1502
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by S13 curtis View Post
stock is fine, thats what i ran and gave me no problems.
Again, running E85 certainly is a HUGE safety fuel compared to the rest of us shleps that rely on pump gas hehe.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #1503
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csomme View Post
You guys running a Power FC with a 2871r and the EBC, wheredo you keep your boost settings at? lol I mess around with mine constantly and just now got it where I like it.
I run an AVC-R along with a PFC....the AVC-R allows for much more flexibility in terms of seeing what you are controlling....i.e. solenoid duty vs. RPM....also has closed loop feedback as well.

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #1504
Csomme
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
Csomme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspaeth View Post
I run an AVC-R along with a PFC....the AVC-R allows for much more flexibility in terms of seeing what you are controlling....i.e. solenoid duty vs. RPM....also has closed loop feedback as well.

really now? that's freaking awesome. Never thought of doing that.
Csomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #1505
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Seriously? I thought it was well known that the AVC-R is far superior to the built in boost control in the PFC?

It's really simple. You literally just turn off the Boost control on the PFC, and run the AVC-R independently.

You end up having 2 separate pressure sensors....1 for the PFC D-Jetro, one for the AVC-R.

Daily driven
Old 01-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #1506
D.Bo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
D.Bo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hey i got a question...i just picked a 2871r and the compressor side is a/r .50 and exhaust side is a/r .64....im not really lookin for big numbers but more response...should i just use the turbo as is now or upgrade the comrpessor housin to a a/r .60?
D.Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #1507
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Bo View Post
hey i got a question...i just picked a 2871r and the compressor side is a/r .50 and exhaust side is a/r .64....im not really lookin for big numbers but more response...should i just use the turbo as is now or upgrade the comrpessor housin to a a/r .60?
Taken directly (errrrrr paraphrased) from Garrett's website:

"Compressor A/R - Compressor performance is comparatively insensitive to changes in A/R. Larger A/R housings are sometimes used to optimize performance of low boost applications, and smaller A/R are used for high boost applications. However, as this influence of A/R on compressor performance is minor, there are not A/R options available for compressor housings. "

TurboByGarrett.com - Turbo Tech102

Daily driven
Old 01-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #1508
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
S13 curtis is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
pics please. pics say a million words. and i dont think the a/r 60 is an upgrade.
S13 curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #1509
HPballer76
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
HPballer76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
when all of you did your cams and valve springs and retainers did you replace the timing chain also? trying to decide if i need to replace mine when i do the cams.

sorry for all the questions just trying to make sure i do everything right.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:01 PM   #1510
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Sounds like a gt3071 maybe?

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:31 AM   #1511
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPballer76 View Post
when all of you did your cams and valve springs and retainers did you replace the timing chain also? trying to decide if i need to replace mine when i do the cams.

sorry for all the questions just trying to make sure i do everything right.
It's good that you are trying to do things right. I did not replace mine, as this involves pulling the front cover in order to get to the crank sprocket, and was too much work for me haha.

Then again, I ended up with a mint SR20, which I paid a lot of money for, so I was fairly confident it hadn't been beaten on and had relatively low mileage.

It depends upon how many miles the motor has on it. Also, take a look at the chain itself and look fro cracks or nicks or bends or things like that.

Clearly, timing chains are way more beefy then belts, so we have that going for us.

Daily driven
Old 01-29-2010, 07:52 AM   #1512
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore
its about time we have one thing going for us.
replacing the timing chain is fairly easy though. if i have my engine torn down for rebuilding, im replacing the timing chain...that simple
2fast4y0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:06 AM   #1513
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Absolutely, if you have it on a stand, I say do as much as you can possibly afford.

but with the motor in the car, it makes everything last thing that much more annoying.

Daily driven
Old 01-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #1514
yabeet
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
yabeet is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Older timing chains are still likely to stretch over time, the naked eye will not see this though.
On my S14 SR I want to keep vct and Im thinking of running 256/264 in/ex Greddy or HKS combo with a 2871 .64, leaving the rest of the motor stock [new pump, timing parts & rocker arm stoppers only]
Should running stock valvetrain be ok like the companies say it is?
The thing is, it’s a gearbox, okay? It has one job to do! One job! Pull the lever… ‘Am I a pencil? Am I a cauliflower? Am I a nuclear power sta– I’m a gearbox! Oh, heavens, I’m gonna swap some cogs around!’

Jeremy Clarkson on Automatics
yabeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:12 AM   #1515
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabeet View Post
Older timing chains are still likely to stretch over time, the naked eye will not see this though.
On my S14 SR I want to keep vct and Im thinking of running 256/264 in/ex Greddy or HKS combo with a 2871 .64, leaving the rest of the motor stock [new pump, timing parts & rocker arm stoppers only]
Should running stock valvetrain be ok like the companies say it is?

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that the biggest factor is the lift of the replacement cam.

What are the lift specs on the cams you are looking at?

Daily driven
Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #1516
yabeet
Zilvia Member

10.5mm so Im thinking it should be ok. Starting ar 11+mm is when they recommend upgrading the springs so they can compress more correctly without making contact with itself.
The thing is, it’s a gearbox, okay? It has one job to do! One job! Pull the lever… ‘Am I a pencil? Am I a cauliflower? Am I a nuclear power sta– I’m a gearbox! Oh, heavens, I’m gonna swap some cogs around!’

Old 01-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #1517
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
10.5mm so Im thinking it should be ok. Starting ar 11+mm is when they recommend upgrading the springs so they can compress more correctly without making contact with itself.

Yes I believe stock valvetrain is fine with 10.5 mm cams, however, you may not want to rev it higher than the OEM redline (I think it's 7400-7500).

Might want to wait to hear someone else's opinion. Actually, with higher lift cams than stock, but stock springs/retainers, you may actually want to rev LESS high....not 100 certain though.

Daily driven
Old 01-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #1518
HPballer76
Zilvia Junkie

HPballer76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
It's good that you are trying to do things right. I did not replace mine, as this involves pulling the front cover in order to get to the crank sprocket, and was too much work for me haha.

Then again, I ended up with a mint SR20, which I paid a lot of money for, so I was fairly confident it hadn't been beaten on and had relatively low mileage.

It depends upon how many miles the motor has on it. Also, take a look at the chain itself and look fro cracks or nicks or bends or things like that.

Clearly, timing chains are way more beefy then belts, so we have that going for us.
alright thank you. i guess i will just wait and see if i end up taking the motor all the way out or not. but i am fairly certain mine is in good shape since i have an s14 sr that was an auto when i got it and i have not had any problems with it.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #1519
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Absolutely, if you have it on a stand, I say do as much as you can possibly afford.
Solid advice for sure. I've never bothered with a new chain though...I mean if you're dealing with some abused car based upon other parts of the motor it may not be a bad issue, but it takes quite a bit to wear the chains out. That tensioner has a TON of 'slack' take up ability

Quote:
Yes I believe stock valvetrain is fine with 10.5 mm cams, however, you may not want to rev it higher than the OEM redline (I think it's 7400-7500).

Might want to wait to hear someone else's opinion. Actually, with higher lift cams than stock, but stock springs/retainers, you may actually want to rev LESS high....not 100 certain though.
There are many factors involving 'safe' limits of cams, not so much the hard numbers. Ramp rate, lobe design, etc etc all go into it. For example: With JWT cams (like the S3) it has a 0.442" lift (11.2ish mm)...and they are plenty safe on stock valvetrains to 7850 (where they set their limit at).

S4's have a 0.464" lift (11.7mm) and they too are safe to 7850 on stock stuff. Crazy huh?

But The C1 cams at .476" lift (12mm) require springs.

Just some food for though. The crappy thing about any cam in any motor is that is a HUGE discrepancy between measurements, lobe design, and general R and D. Sure a cam may make power, but being safe, and harmonically sound are very different. I mean, there is just TONS of engineering involved with cams it's rediculous.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 01-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #1520
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Listen to Cody, he knows what he is saying....

But to answer is question, would you agree that if a reputable manufacturer (Greddy, HKS, Tomei, BC, etc.) say the cams are drop in and require no other head modifications, then it is safe to do so?

Daily driven
Old 01-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #1521
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Listen to Cody, he knows what he is saying....

But to answer is question, would you agree that if a reputable manufacturer (Greddy, HKS, Tomei, BC, etc.) say the cams are drop in and require no other head modifications, then it is safe to do so?
I wouldn't put BC in that group at all, considering they are a copy cat company

But yes, I would certainly trust a major manufacturing company in regard to their claims as of what is safe, and what isn't. They have their own RD involved. Will they spin higher? Maybe...but no reason to try and prove HKS or JWT or Greddy persay wrong, as they aren't going to care

However ensuring proper install is the main thing. Following FSM spec is KEY.

I will say this though, for as many 'options' as we may have, you guys should see some of the domestic stuff I've had to help with. You have LSA to consider, and new vs old lobe designs, vs manufacturers haha. It's certainly another art in itself.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #1522
yabeet
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Solid advice for sure. I've never bothered with a new chain though...I mean if you're dealing with some abused car based upon other parts of the motor it may not be a bad issue, but it takes quite a bit to wear the chains out. That tensioner has a TON of 'slack' take up ability

There are many factors involving 'safe' limits of cams, not so much the hard numbers. Ramp rate, lobe design, etc etc all go into it. For example: With JWT cams (like the S3) it has a 0.442" lift (11.2ish mm)...and they are plenty safe on stock valvetrains to 7850 (where they set their limit at).

S4's have a 0.464" lift (11.7mm) and they too are safe to 7850 on stock stuff. Crazy huh?

But The C1 cams at .476" lift (12mm) require springs.

Just some food for though. The crappy thing about any cam in any motor is that is a HUGE discrepancy between measurements, lobe design, and general R and D. Sure a cam may make power, but being safe, and harmonically sound are very different. I mean, there is just TONS of engineering involved with cams it's rediculous.

Cody, going with a stock S14 motor, 2871 .64, Greddy IM and Tomei manifold, what Jim Wolf cams would you recommend me while keeping stock valvetrain? I would prefer to keep vct, but am open to opinions, your input is smashing so far mate!

Old 01-29-2010, 04:06 PM   #1523
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Cody, going with a stock S14 motor, 2871 .64, Greddy IM and Tomei manifold, what Jim Wolf cams would you recommend me while keeping stock valvetrain? I would prefer to keep vct, but am open to opinions, your input is smashing so far mate!
Any of the JWT cams are not going to be VTC compatable. However, that is something that would not be a 'make or break' point, as any decent cam you run is going to produce better power than any good cam that retains VTC.

I really prefer the S3 cams for these setups. My general 'rule' is that T2 flanged turbos work best with S3 cams, and T3 flanged turbos work best with S4's. S3's really promote better mid range, with S4's being on the high end of the RPM band. A selling point to me, is that JWT cams do not require any valvetrain upgrades...so you can keep stock springs/retainers...saving money in the end when comapred to a HKS 264 step II or a Tomei cam persay. This is not to say that the HKS or Tomei cams will not make power, as the ymake great cams...I just prefer JWT for the simple install, and lower end cost. (Plus you can find used JWT cams all over the sr20forum, and sr20-forum, FWD sites for great prices)

Old 01-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #1524
yabeet
Zilvia Member

So last question Cody, to rid of VCT, I will buy an S13 intake cam and sprocket and an exhaust cam that is the same from S13 thru S15 SR engines?
Thanks!

Old 01-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #1525
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
So last question Cody, to rid of VCT, I will buy an S13 intake cam and sprocket and an exhaust cam that is the same from S13 thru S15 SR engines?
Thanks!
Yup! Make sure you get S13 cams (well, B13/B14 are the same as well) and then to correctly remove VCT you should unplug it, as well as replace the the cam gear as well (intake cam gear only). Chain remains the same.

I may have a set of stock cam gears if you want them,but I'd like to look for sure. PM me if interested, they aren't doing me any good hehe.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #1526
yabeet
Zilvia Member

Thanks Cody, I will let you know if I need one, Im going to check with friends to double check if anyone has one kicking around, if not Ill send a PM your way. Thanks for all the excellent help

Old 02-06-2010, 09:04 AM   #1527
miller1775

Trader Rating: (0)
miller1775 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
took my s14 w/redtop to the dyno. stock motor with gt3071r and a safcII on 16lbs made 398 whp and 350tq on a dynojet.

now tore the motor down boring to 87mm with apexi head gasket with wisco 9:1 pistons, bc rods, all acl bearings, stage 3 bc cams, valve springs, and retainers, hks rocker armstoppers everything will be sealed up with arp studs all around and tuned on a AEM EMS tuned by Tampa Mike.
Should have it back together by may sometime wish me luck on the next dyno.

oh and the 30r rolls the hell out. v8's tend to have a problem with me haha.
miller1775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #1528
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
i just read this entire thread in one sitting and i'm still stumped! i cant decide between the 28rs .86 and the 2871r .64. i had the gt2871r paired with undialed bc cams (this was b4 it was discovered they need adj. cam gears) and it was HORRIBLE laggy. to the point where i downgraded back to an s15 turbo lol. i'm piecing together my new motor build and cant decide which to run... i'm going with tomei cams this time for sure.
obviously the 28rs will spool 15-17psi quicker...but how much faster? and at what efficency? i've read that most of you guys are hitting full boost around 3800 but thats like 19+psi and for a setup that i'd like to keep no more then like 330whp...is the 2871r necessary? i guess i'm just traumatized from my last experience with it LOL
sidewaysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #1529
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

With stock intake manifold, you can slap on the 2871R with your toda cams and hit 17-18 psi by roughly 3500-3700 RPM.

Your tq will probably start dropping off pretty early though, around 6K bc of the stock intake mani.

But you should easily see your 330 whp goal with that turbo and those cams with everything else stock.

Daily driven
Old 02-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #1530
djcobra
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
djcobra is making a name for him/her selfdjcobra is making a name for him/her selfdjcobra is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you want 320-330whp then go with the GT28RS .86 trim will be brilliant. I have the same turbo but in the smaller trim along with HKS Step 1 cams 256/264, 1.1mm Apexi' HG. Response is amazing, perfect for the street. Oh, i'm hitting almost 330whp at 15psi using 92 octane, end of the day its all about the tune! see my signature...

Steve.