Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 12-22-2023, 02:10 PM   #1
cgtdream
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
cgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You'll rarely see a car restoration this in depth (240Z)

Datsun 240Z restoration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B13vXFj37RI&t=2s
Old 03-03-2024, 05:06 PM   #2
johndebra

Trader Rating: (0)
johndebra is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtdream View Post
This was so interesting to watch! During me senior year of high school in 1998 I bought a '78 280Z (last year of the original body style) with a blown engine for $50. I worked on it for over a year. Seeing this video brought back so many forgotten memories. Removal of the 4 bolts to take off the hood, door panel removals, interior door handle removals. I had forgotten how those looked and this video brought that and so many other memories flooding back

Last edited by johndebra; 03-03-2024 at 06:14 PM..
johndebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 01:49 PM   #3
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Note that the above asshole added a spam link to the quote, so beware the "uno online."

Now that I've actually watched the video, I've realized how much fun it is to see the differences in how the Germans, Italians, and Japanese built their cars in the '60s and '70s. Different fasteners, different lock washers, different methods of attachment. Obviously so much similar, but variations of the same. I'm a fucking geek when it comes to hardware, so I got my jollies from this video.

Also seeing his Hazet, Knipex, and Celette tools, tools I've only seen in the old guys' boxes or that I've bought for my own box since I get a discount for Hazet parts through one of my suppliers. Would've thought he'd have bought some Vessel JIS screwdrivers for a restoration like this.

I'm on his third video showing the body work. We leave the wrinkles and tears caused by production stamping because concours judges want to see them, but they are unsightly.

Spotweld drill bits are a thing. They get spendy but all that drilling without them makes me sad.

Strange choice of some tools.

Once the rust in the rocker was shown to be more serious, I would have contacted my client, let them know the rockers need to come off to evaluate the extent of the rust, and go from there. You can see seam rust that's not being addressed and that will only grow with time. Where do you stop, though? Every joint that was a water collection point will have rust extant.

Last edited by KA24DESOneThree; 03-05-2024 at 01:44 PM..
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote