Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #391
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjNightshade View Post
I saw earlier in the thread that the S1 MAF is the same as J30, but what if you have an S2 RB? what us maf can I use?
I've been discussing this same thing with a few people - a lot of people say a S1 ECU will run a S2 engine, but no one seems to mention whether they're using a S1 MAF or S2 MAF. The diameters are the same, and they're rumored to read the same, so it's possible they have compatible internals and just different plug.

I'm interested in anyone who's done some actual testing here!

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #392
Flaco S14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Flaco S14 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
anybody have the wiring diagram on how to install a Q45 maff on a S1 rb25?
Flaco S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #393
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
You'll need some type of correction (SAFC, ROM tune, etc), but here's the wiring diagram I found that covers most Nissan MAFS - credit goes to whoever made it.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 11-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #394
eh?
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
eh? is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S2 maf is the same as the 4th gen maxima.
eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #395
Flaco S14
Zilvia FREAK!

Flaco S14 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
You'll need some type of correction (SAFC, ROM tune, etc), but here's the wiring diagram I found that covers most Nissan MAFS - credit goes to whoever made it.

that should work ill put it on tonight, thanks for the quick response.
Flaco S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #396
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
I've been discussing this same thing with a few people - a lot of people say a S1 ECU will run a S2 engine, but no one seems to mention whether they're using a S1 MAF or S2 MAF. The diameters are the same, and they're rumored to read the same, so it's possible they have compatible internals and just different plug.

I'm interested in anyone who's done some actual testing here!
I might be doing some testing soon,

I have a S1 RB25

Other RB's im seeing are using Green Tagged J60 MAFS when the MAFS I was sent is a Pink Tagged E61. When i ran the number it came up as an "01 INFINITY Q45 AIR FLOW METER
98-99-00-01 MAXIMA-I30" I can Find Nothing else on this MAFS. It would seem
that it might be an RB Series 2 MAFS but the Series 2 are E60's

havent really gotten a confirmation it it will work though....

1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #397
ProjNightshade
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
ProjNightshade will become famous soon enoughProjNightshade will become famous soon enoughProjNightshade will become famous soon enoughProjNightshade will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I know this is alot of text, but please bear with me and read through it. This is why i asked about the maf.

On Sunday morning 11/1 (a pretty cold morning, about 35-40) I started my car and it idled ok, but would not rev over 2000-2250 rpm before it started acting like it was bouncing off the rev limiter. It would idle for a while but would eventually die. I unhooked the battery for about 10 minutes, but that did nothing to help the situation. It cranks right up and idles every time.

The shop engine manual I have for the R33 shows that the MAF is a 5 pin plug, but mine is only a 3 pin. So I couldn't really test the MAF to see if it still worked. I did manage to test the coolant temp sensor (red 2 prong) that goes to the ECU but I saw no resistance and no continuity. Unplugging that sensor and letting the car run resulted in a crappier idle and it seemed like the car would die after I stopped revving the motor.

I have no idea what this is, but I feel like it might be a faulty coolant temp sensor and the ECU is stuck in safe mode. But obviously I really have no idea.

Do any of you guys have any ideas? Everything worked awesome until I had issues with my boost controller and unhooked it to mail it back. The boost controller was taken out earlier on Saturday. I don't know if a small vacuum leak from one of the hoses associated with that would cause this much issue or not. Please advise.

Thanks for reading guys.
ProjNightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:20 AM   #398
eh?
Zilvia Member

Quote:
I know this is alot of text, but please bear with me and read through it. This is why i asked about the maf.

On Sunday morning 11/1 (a pretty cold morning, about 35-40) I started my car and it idled ok, but would not rev over 2000-2250 rpm before it started acting like it was bouncing off the rev limiter. It would idle for a while but would eventually die. I unhooked the battery for about 10 minutes, but that did nothing to help the situation. It cranks right up and idles every time.

The shop engine manual I have for the R33 shows that the MAF is a 5 pin plug, but mine is only a 3 pin. So I couldn't really test the MAF to see if it still worked. I did manage to test the coolant temp sensor (red 2 prong) that goes to the ECU but I saw no resistance and no continuity. Unplugging that sensor and letting the car run resulted in a crappier idle and it seemed like the car would die after I stopped revving the motor.

I have no idea what this is, but I feel like it might be a faulty coolant temp sensor and the ECU is stuck in safe mode. But obviously I really have no idea.

Do any of you guys have any ideas? Everything worked awesome until I had issues with my boost controller and unhooked it to mail it back. The boost controller was taken out earlier on Saturday. I don't know if a small vacuum leak from one of the hoses associated with that would cause this much issue or not. Please advise.

Thanks for reading guys.
You have a S2 maf and a maf/maf circuit problem. Double check your wiring. Use the diagram posted above for reference.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:42 AM   #399
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh? View Post
You have a S2 maf and a maf/maf circuit problem. Double check your wiring. Use the diagram posted above for reference.
Agreed, you def have a S2 MAF, and that doesn't sound like a vacuum or CTS issue. It's interesting that you couldn't measure resistance across the CTS, the FSM states where it's supposed to be (I don't remember the range off the top of my head). Sounds like a MAF problem.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:49 AM   #400
ProjNightshade
Zilvia Member

ProjNightshade will become famous soon enoughProjNightshade will become famous soon enoughProjNightshade will become famous soon enoughProjNightshade will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eh? View Post
I know I have a S2 MAF and I know it was wired correctly b/c it ran for 3 months with no issue at all.

I thought it was also very weird I couldn't get resistance or continuity from the CTS. Losing continuity leads me to believe that maybe the element in there failed.

I need to know how to test the 3 pin MAF and if there is something else that failed that would cause these issues. My wiriing was professionally done by Syko, and like I said, ran like a champ from first crank from the time the motor was in the car until november 1st.

How do I test the 3 pin MAF since obviously it's different than the procedure for the 5 pin?
Old 11-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #401
ProjNightshade
Zilvia Member

Quote:
I know I have a S2 MAF and I know it was wired correctly b/c it ran for 3 months with no issue at all.

I thought it was also very weird I couldn't get resistance or continuity from the CTS. Losing continuity leads me to believe that maybe the element in there failed.

I need to know how to test the 3 pin MAF and if there is something else that failed that would cause these issues. My wiriing was professionally done by Syko, and like I said, ran like a champ from first crank from the time the motor was in the car until november 1st.

How do I test the 3 pin MAF since obviously it's different than the procedure for the 5 pin?
So I went back tonight armed with the diagram of what wire does what, and I got voltage with no air passing and with air passing that was damn close to manual spec.

I also retested the CTS and determined that my leads on the multimeter were making poor contact. So that came back at a reasonable resistance since its cooler than 20 deg Celsius in my garage here in TN.

Since both of those work, anyone else got any thoughts about why my ECU seems to be in failsafe?
Old 11-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #402
Rittmeister
Zilvia FREAK!

Rittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really nice
N/A RB engine - anyone have experience?

Just curious.

Yes, I know it wouldn't make much power, so let's get that out of the way first. However, you'd be getting the smoothness of an I6 engine, none of the overheating worries of a turbo motor, and holy crap they're cheap. Like $900 for the engine and tranny. This is for an R33 RB25DE engine/tranny, with VCT. According to the intarweb this motor is good for about 200hp at the crank.

With header, intake, cams, and some kind of tuning, I think it'd be possible to get near 200 hp at the wheels on a 2.5L RB. I have no idea the cost of parts like these, and it's conceivable that a header would have to be custom-made to fit LHD vehicles.

Don't know how hard/expensive it would be to find the harness and ECU and get it to work in the S-chassis, but it can't be too much different from the turbo Skyline engines. Mounts, driveshaft, wiring.

This is kind of just for discussion, for my own curiousity. Comments welcome.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #403
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rittmeister View Post
Just curious.

Yes, I know it wouldn't make much power, so let's get that out of the way first. However, you'd be getting the smoothness of an I6 engine, none of the overheating worries of a turbo motor, and holy crap they're cheap. Like $900 for the engine and tranny. This is for an R33 RB25DE engine/tranny, with VCT. According to the intarweb this motor is good for about 200hp at the crank.

With header, intake, cams, and some kind of tuning, I think it'd be possible to get near 200 hp at the wheels on a 2.5L RB. I have no idea the cost of parts like these, and it's conceivable that a header would have to be custom-made to fit LHD vehicles.

Don't know how hard/expensive it would be to find the harness and ECU and get it to work in the S-chassis, but it can't be too much different from the turbo Skyline engines. Mounts, driveshaft, wiring.

This is kind of just for discussion, for my own curiousity. Comments welcome.
Comment: All that work for nothing. What's so bad about having a turbo attached to the motor? It's not like RB's have turbo lag on anything smaller than a GT35, and overheating is an addressable problem.

As soon as you have that N/A RB25 installed with a custom header/intake/exhaust, you'll hate the fact that you didn't pay $1k more and get the DET.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #404
Rittmeister
Zilvia FREAK!

Rittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really nice
That wasn't my question. Your arguments are 100% right, but it really depends what end result you're looking for. This was more an "it's fun to think about" question - I tried to start a separate thread but it was moved here.

Not all of us are into big power. My car makes about 300whp on an SR/T28 right now, and that's more than I need for what I do with it. I suppose I could go to a KA but the idea of an NA straight-six really appeals to me for some reason.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:40 PM   #405
gearhead55
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
gearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I've thought about building an N/A RB also. Something like you see in Rocky Auto kpgc10s and 240Zs, ITB'd or carbed. I think it would be awesome to have something with high comp pistons and N/A specific cams but everything would have to be completely custom unless you import directly from Rocky Auto or something. I ended up deciding just to do forged pistons and i plan on going with a gt3076r, but built N/A is a cool idea...
gearhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:55 PM   #406
jspecusa
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (7)
jspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jspecusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead55 View Post
I've thought about building an N/A RB also. Something like you see in Rocky Auto kpgc10s and 240Zs, ITB'd or carbed. I think it would be awesome to have something with high comp pistons and N/A specific cams but everything would have to be completely custom unless you import directly from Rocky Auto or something. I ended up deciding just to do forged pistons and i plan on going with a gt3076r, but built N/A is a cool idea...
Nissan did made limited amount of N/A RB26, so I'm sure you can order the stock N/A piston from Nissan.
but less money, I would build a RB25DE neo with ITB instead due to VVL and RB25DE neo cost less then 1k.
good luck,

sam
Old 11-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #407
eh?
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post
Nissan did made limited amount of N/A RB26, so I'm sure you can order the stock N/A piston from Nissan.
but less money, I would build a RB25DE neo with ITB instead due to VVL and RB25DE neo cost less then 1k.
good luck,

sam
No VVL on any RB ever.
An AL block'd RB with a VVL head would have been awesome.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #408
jspecusa
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (7)
jspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jspecusa
RB25DET vs. RB25DE NEO - HybridZ
Old 11-18-2009, 10:21 PM   #409
eh?
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post
Sorry man but this is a neo head

Virtually the same as the DET head but one can tell the DE intake ports are smaller.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #410
deep in silvia
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
deep in silvia is a splendid one to beholddeep in silvia is a splendid one to beholddeep in silvia is a splendid one to beholddeep in silvia is a splendid one to beholddeep in silvia is a splendid one to beholddeep in silvia is a splendid one to beholddeep in silvia is a splendid one to beholddeep in silvia is a splendid one to beholddeep in silvia is a splendid one to beholddeep in silvia is a splendid one to beholddeep in silvia is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Could any one please put a list together of all the parts a person would need to add power steering to there s13 if they have a RB25det swap?

ALSO

Could any one please put a list together of all the parts a person would need to add A/C to there s13 if they have a RB25det swap?

Thanks
deep in silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #411
Silviaracer1988
Zilvia Member

Silviaracer1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
ok so im trying to research doing a rb25det swap in a s14. now all i see over this thread use syko, so with that said thats what im going to use. but at the bottom of the conversion page it says "
This conversion kit is designed and sold for off road use only!
Like the SR20DET, the RB25DET and RB26DETT engines are not legal for use on any pollution controlled vehicle!!"

so i live in pittsburgh, pa and we have emissions. now this has been answered before i bet, but what would i need to make it legal for that? please dont make fun or ask me to search further or anything. just looking for help. thank you

Silviaracer1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #412
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep in silvia View Post
Could any one please put a list together of all the parts a person would need to add power steering to there s13 if they have a RB25det swap?

ALSO

Could any one please put a list together of all the parts a person would need to add A/C to there s13 if they have a RB25det swap?

Thanks
Sure, although these are pretty straight forward.

RB25DET's usually (almost always) come with a power steering pump. You need the AN fitting adapter for the rack and the pump (I don't have my notes with sizes at this computer), an AN line connecting the two ($80 or so for all of this from Hung @ Baker Precision, he knows the sizes), so that takes care of the high pressure side. Then you need an AN fitting for the low pressure side of the rack, and run a -6AN line up to the cooler or reservoir if you're not running a PS cooler. From the reservoir to the pump is -10AN (5/8") low pressure, you can use AN line or heater hose.

A/C is slightly more complicated, and relies on you having a working A/C system in the S13 (since the Skyline stuff never comes over). Get a RB25 A/C compressor (most motorsets come with them since all R33's it seems had A/C) and have an A/C shop make you some lines to go to the factory S13 ports. Shouldn't be very expensive if your S13 A/C is workable.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #413
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silviaracer1988 View Post
ok so im trying to research doing a rb25det swap in a s14. now all i see over this thread use syko, so with that said thats what im going to use. but at the bottom of the conversion page it says "
This conversion kit is designed and sold for off road use only!
Like the SR20DET, the RB25DET and RB26DETT engines are not legal for use on any pollution controlled vehicle!!"

so i live in pittsburgh, pa and we have emissions. now this has been answered before i bet, but what would i need to make it legal for that? please dont make fun or ask me to search further or anything. just looking for help. thank you

You can not make it legal, federally.

The engines were never offered in the United States, they are not legal. End of story.

Good luck.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:43 PM   #414
Silviaracer1988
Zilvia Member

damnit. gonna have to stick with the ka til i move south carolina
Old 11-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #415
Silviaracer1988
Zilvia Member

forgot, thanks for the quick answer
Old 11-25-2009, 07:48 PM   #416
Silviaracer1988
Zilvia Member

oh wait you live in NC. whats the deal with cars there. my girl and i are talking about moving to charolette or close to that area for her work. and i want to know what i can do with my 240. cause i want to do a rb25 swap but i dont want to do something that will prevent me from having a dd.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #417
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
FEDERALLY illegal. That means nationwide. Meaning they are not legal in ANY state.

I do not run an illegal engine, nor do I plan to. NC has different emissions laws for different areas. With my car being OBDI, I wouldn't have to worry about emissions checks in most areas, not even visuals.

Then again, I am also Military, so my car doesn't even require an inspection in my area.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #418
BIGGJERRYC

BIGGJERRYC is an unknown quantity at this point
RB motors dont even fit in 240sx's.... i dont know where you all got your information....
BIGGJERRYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #419
PacificDrift_Nick
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
PacificDrift_Nick is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGJERRYC View Post
RB motors dont even fit in 240sx's.... i dont know where you all got your information....
why dont go crawl back under the rock that you came from and STFU!
Old 11-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #420
foreverdark
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (13)
foreverdark is close to perfectionforeverdark is close to perfectionforeverdark is close to perfectionforeverdark is close to perfectionforeverdark is close to perfectionforeverdark is close to perfectionforeverdark is close to perfectionforeverdark is close to perfectionforeverdark is close to perfectionforeverdark is close to perfectionforeverdark is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGJERRYC View Post
Really dude!!!! Really???