Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-03-2005, 06:44 PM   #1
xka24detx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
xka24detx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FAILED CALI SMOG... Need Help

Okay my 91 240 just failed california smog. It passes everything but NOX... The Maximum Allowable Emmisions at 15mph is 799 and 25mph 738 and the Gross Polluter Limits is 2002 at 15mph and 1802 at 25mph. The car is putting out 4964ppm at 15mph and 4952ppm at 25mph... The guy said it might be a bad EGR or CAT... Anybody have any ideas to help me out? Cause i dont want to spend alot of $ having a shop check it out when it might be something simple i could fix...

Thanks
xka24detx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2005, 07:05 PM   #2
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I betting EGR. Check the vac lines to it first. Then check the vavle.
S14DB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:14 PM   #3
xka24detx
Zilvia Member

This is a newb question... but where is the EGR valve? I grew up with toyota's all my life so im not yet aquainted with Nissans yet.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:27 PM   #4
sLip techniques
Zilvia Member

sLip techniques is an unknown quantity at this point
behind your intake manifold right near the firewall, and to check if your egr works get your finger and push under it to see if it bogs, if it does bog then it works. Since it appears you just bought the car i would take out the cat to see if melted or not.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:39 PM   #5
xka24detx
Zilvia Member

okay i found the EGR valve... but i dont get what you mean by push it in? If someone could take a pic and show me what to push? Thanks
Old 05-03-2005, 07:46 PM   #6
SauN
Zilvia Member

SauN is an unknown quantity at this point
also check the small hoses around the EGR valves as well. Some of them go through some wierd bends causing the hoses to crack and tear at those bends.
SauN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:51 PM   #7
Var
Post Whore!

Var is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Var
there is more than just one problem..5000 nox is really unusual . Could be a combinations of timing, carbon buildup, cat and egr. Maybe dirty fuel filter. Post up the rest of the numbers

HC, CO, CO2, O2, and rpm's
Old 05-03-2005, 08:20 PM   #8
xka24detx
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westboroughpimp
there is more than just one problem..5000 nox is really unusual . Could be a combinations of timing, carbon buildup, cat and egr. Maybe dirty fuel filter. Post up the rest of the numbers

HC, CO, CO2, O2, and rpm's
I was already planning on running seafoam through the engine, changing oil, new plugs, etc... but i dont think that would have made that big of a difference. Thanks... Here is the results...
Old 05-04-2005, 10:01 AM   #9
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
run Seafoam!!!!

I had same problem. Pleease dont PM me about how.. its been discussed. But I also thru on a new cat when I retested...
Old 05-04-2005, 12:56 PM   #10
drew935
Zilvia Addict

drew935 is making a name for him/her selfdrew935 is making a name for him/her selfdrew935 is making a name for him/her self
It's not the cat. Yea run the seafoam. Do a search for it. Looks like you have a problem with the charcoal canister, pvc valve, and maybe the egr. But it is a problem that I have on my civic as well. It barely passed the nox reading. Also read up on the FSM to get better acquainted with your 240.
FSMs
Old 05-04-2005, 01:32 PM   #11
Ritz S14
Post Whore!

Ritz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud of
I say start with checking the EGR(yes toyotas have them too), and if you haven't already, replace the Oxygen sensor.

Things you need to verify..
Was the car warmed up? How old is the cat? Air injection working?

The early 90s tend to fail right out of the factory, which is why they probably stopped using the "91" cams.
Ritz S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:00 PM   #12
drew935
Zilvia Addict

drew935 is making a name for him/her selfdrew935 is making a name for him/her selfdrew935 is making a name for him/her self
That's right. I forgot that we have a smog tech on the boards. What's your name? I have some friends that need a smog...
Old 05-04-2005, 11:49 PM   #13
racer98
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (128)
racer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 128 reviews
Send a message via AIM to racer98 Send a message via MSN to racer98
Quote:
Originally Posted by xka24detx
Okay my 91 240 just failed california smog. It passes everything but NOX... The Maximum Allowable Emmisions at 15mph is 799 and 25mph 738 and the Gross Polluter Limits is 2002 at 15mph and 1802 at 25mph. The car is putting out 4964ppm at 15mph and 4952ppm at 25mph... The guy said it might be a bad EGR or CAT... Anybody have any ideas to help me out? Cause i dont want to spend alot of $ having a shop check it out when it might be something simple i could fix...

Thanks

OK here are a couple of things you need too do.

1) replace the CAT
2) when you go in for smog make sure the fuel load in your car is about
quater of a tank.
3) inflate the tires as much as possibile for the tire you have on the rear.

then tell us the results.
racer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:55 PM   #14
007jpang
Zilvia Junkie

007jpang is an unknown quantity at this point
sea foam that shit

john

April 24th, 1915
http://www.shockdrifting.com
007jpang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:12 AM   #15
s13gonwild
BANNED

s13gonwild is an unknown quantity at this point
1.Replace CAT
2.when you go in for smog make sure the fuel load in your car is about
quater of a tank.
3. inflate the tires as much as possibile for the tire you have on the rear.
Also drive/leave car on as long as you can then smog it.
s13gonwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:31 AM   #16
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
haha v is the greatest.........pitching sales..
Old 05-05-2005, 02:03 AM   #17
idlafie
Zilvia Addict

idlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13gonwild
1.Replace CAT
Better to remove it from the exhaust manifold, visually inspect the insides & see if it's still good. If the honeycomb catalyst inside the cat is missing or melted then you'll have to replace it. If the honeycomb is still intact, then just bolt it back up & continue to use it.

Quote:
2.when you go in for smog make sure the fuel load in your car is about
quater of a tank.
HUH?? How is a quarter tank of gas gonna affect your smog test?

Quote:
3. inflate the tires as much as possibile for the tire you have on the rear.
HUH?? you're gonna have to explain this one!!

Quote:
Also drive/leave car on as long as you can then smog it.
Yep...by leaving the engine running you are heating up the catalytic converter so it can due its job - to filter as much of the noxious gases produced by the internal combustion engine as much as possible before venting it to the atmosphere/air we breathe.

The purpose of your EGR system is to reduce oxides of nitrogen pollution which causes smog. Oxides of nitrogen are produced when combustion temperatures are high. By allowing some of the exhaust gas (mostly carbon dioxide and water vapor) to be recirculated back into the engine, the inert exhaust gas cools the combustion process by taking up space in the combustion chamber and making combustion less efficient - kinda like pouring water on a roaring HOT fire so as to keep the fire under control & keeping the fire in check.

You might want to click on the attached link & read the postings I listed.
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=65792

These links can also help:
http://www.valvoline.com/carcare/art...cid=2&scccid=1
http://www.valvoline.com/carcare/art...cid=2&scccid=1

You'll find the information helpful.
ID
'95 SE
Old 05-05-2005, 02:26 AM   #18
Buffalo Daughter
Zilvia Addict

Buffalo Daughter will become famous soon enoughBuffalo Daughter will become famous soon enoughBuffalo Daughter will become famous soon enough
Somethings i might suggest -

Before wanting to replace the cat, make sure that that is actually the problem. Although People always say to its the cat you should know that it is actually damaged or no longer working. You can test it by using a pyrometer or shake the cat and hear if it rattles. A catalytic converter is suppose to last the lifetime of the vehicle unless you have detenonation that causes it to melt the cat.

NoX - Anything that increases temperature will cause high NoX. Probs with the cooling system, heated air intakee, or compression raised by carbon deposits can cause Nox to increase. Ignitition Timing also affects this. CHECK YOUR SPARK AND TIMING. Maybe your spark plugs are fouled up and/or your cap and rotor need to be replaced.

EGR - like the said above you need to check this bad boy out to. From what i know its most likely your egr. Test it or get it tested because the EGR is one of the most important things if not the thing that helps keep NoX low. Check if the valve is still functioning. CHECK THE EGR MOST IMPORTANTLY.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:45 AM   #19
drew935
Zilvia Addict

I'm curious as to which part is actually causing all that Nox,..
Old 05-05-2005, 01:24 PM   #20
Var
Post Whore!

Var is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Var
1-inflating your tires will cause a little bit less load on the car therefore reducing emissions. Because the numbers are so high, that's irrelevant in this case

2-Having less gas i supposed would also put less load on the rear end during the smog..?

3- Leaving the car on helps in a sense, but before it's run it should be heated up again with a fast idle. Some smog guys wont do this for you cause you're technically not supposed tol.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:48 PM   #21
Ritz S14
Post Whore!

Ritz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud of
Yeah..but whatever. I do it all the time
Ritz S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 08:25 PM   #22
Pacman
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Pacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had this same problem with my '91. Definitely do some work with your EGR. Take it off and clean the hole thats on the intake manifold. Clean the EGR whole so it'll work correctly. Look at all those hoses, especially with the bottom hose thats on the EGR that one is always rotted. After you do that, take it again to get it pre-tested. If the ratings go down significantly, go ahead and look at the Cat. Replace that AFTER you do the other things.

This same stuff happened to me so I talk from first hand expirence (also having fuel control problems). I had to go to the smog only like you're going to have to do. Good luck, and remember, PRE-TEST WILL SAVE YOU!!!
Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote