Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-05-2005, 08:05 AM   #1
JohnC
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
JohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
buying an engine, advice needed

Hello all,
First time posting here.
I was a WRX owner untill now but came back to experience some RWD bliss.
I own a 1995 EU spec s14 (200sx as it is know here). The car
has an sr20det, AT, LSD. not staying AT 4 long.
The engine is OK and was overhauld a few months b4 I bought it but the guy that did the work, well I don't trust his work at all. There is the chain rattle, compression is OK but I do not feel good about the engine.
Now for my question.
The dealership here has a NEW, yes NEW, complete longblock including sensors
pumps etc... and for a VERY good price.
The only dilema I have is this:
The engine has been sitting in the warehouse for the past 9 years.
Should I be wooried about buying an engine this "old" that has been sitting for so long? Is there anything I should look for?
btw, money is not an issue, just to avoid the cost considerations in your replies.
Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

John
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2005, 08:55 AM   #2
AzNCmB
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
AzNCmB has a reputation beyond reputeAzNCmB has a reputation beyond reputeAzNCmB has a reputation beyond reputeAzNCmB has a reputation beyond reputeAzNCmB has a reputation beyond reputeAzNCmB has a reputation beyond reputeAzNCmB has a reputation beyond reputeAzNCmB has a reputation beyond reputeAzNCmB has a reputation beyond reputeAzNCmB has a reputation beyond reputeAzNCmB has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AzNCmB
how much is the engine?
AzNCmB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:56 AM   #3
jononioo
Zilvia Member

jononioo is an unknown quantity at this point
there shouldn't be anything wrong with a new engine besidedes the fact that the injectors could be stopped/gunked up. If you get that engine you will prolly want to change those out. And since this engine is brand new, your also gonna have to take it real ez on it for the first couple thousand miles.
jononioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:13 AM   #4
JohnC
Zilvia Junkie

JohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of light
AzNCmB, $3K. it was almost double when I first started talking to the dealer.
I am not going to be pushing more that 260rwhp so the stock engine should be fine for that. correct me if I am wrong plz.
jononioo, thanks for the advice. I am aware of break in period. As for the injectors I will be getting the 550 nismos in the mail next week and some other goodies.
All suspension stuff is on the way too so I can get the power down to the blacktop.

Thanks.

Any more opinions?
Old 05-05-2005, 01:17 PM   #5
amolao
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
amolao is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Exclamation

Buy engine, even if you take some of it apart for a quick inspection, you are coming on top....this is a new engine, just take it easy and dont push it for a while. You should be Ok, the main issues that will make me check the inside are corrosion and seized parts, but this you can check easily....go for it, dude and check my sig for 3 year storage story....

http://home.sw.rr.com/longstorenissan ***UPDATED 13 AUG 05 ***
amolao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:39 PM   #6
nlzmo400r
Zilvia FREAK!

nlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to nlzmo400r
Quote:
Originally Posted by amolao
Buy engine, even if you take some of it apart for a quick inspection, you are coming on top....this is a new engine, just take it easy and dont push it for a while. You should be Ok, the main issues that will make me check the inside are corrosion and seized parts, but this you can check easily....go for it, dude and check my sig for 3 year storage story....
the link in your sig doesnt work

[email protected] - gt32 .6bar
nlzmo400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:44 PM   #7
Al_S14
BANNED

Al_S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Al_S14 Send a message via MSN to Al_S14
as long as it was stored properly it should be free of corosion BUT in 9 years all seals must have dried out by now so make sure you replace valve seals and front rear seals before you put it in. other then that its all good .id jump on it !
Al_S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:44 PM   #8
vinhisbored
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (15)
vinhisbored will become famous soon enoughvinhisbored will become famous soon enoughvinhisbored will become famous soon enoughvinhisbored will become famous soon enoughvinhisbored will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vinhisbored
if it comes from a dealership, shouldn't they have a guarentee if it works or not? also.. there should be a short warentee of maybe like a month or something?
vinhisbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 03:19 PM   #9
JohnC
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks for your replies.
I will get a three month warranty on it.
It is being stored properly, very dry place and any place that has an opening is sealed well.
I will however have them take some of it apart for inspection as suggested.

Thanks again.

John
Old 05-06-2005, 03:36 PM   #10
JohnC
Zilvia Junkie

amolao,
thats is a long period to store a car!!!!