Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-15-2005, 09:05 PM   #1
sleedawg

Trader Rating: (0)
sleedawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 89 s13 w. sr20det Power Steering install issues. will pay for real HELP!!!

Okay... so I search the forums and read all the posts about how to put together a 1989 SOHC USDM s13 w. a SR20DET swap w. powersteering. It's very light reading and not very informative. You figure there be a FAQ or Sticky on this, but there isn't. Oh well.

I have a 1989 s13 w SR20DET installed. Runs beautiful. I decided I want powersteering. So I bought brand new 91-93 Power Steering lines and a freshly rebuilt 91-93 PS pump. Now here's the issue. Take a look. Basically things aren't lining up as easily as people say the do.

Does anyone have pictures of their setup that they can show me? Am I miss any brackets or bolts that are basically making this more difficult? Last thing I want to do is fabricate brackets to make this work if it's supposedly a bolt on job.

Better yet... does anyone have a s13 w. Power Steering setup that could drive to Torrance to show my mechanic? I'll pay someone $20 via Paypal if they can do it on Monday morning. The zipcode is 90501. The shop is about two miles from Signal Auto, and about 3 miles from Nissan and Toyota US headquarters off of the 405. It's a secret hole in the wall place that people who know... know. Trust me. When you learn what kind of cars they build and for whom, you'll be VERY impressed and happy you stopped by and did me this favor.

email me at [email protected] if you can help w. showing them the "proper setup" on Monday.
sleedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2005, 09:15 PM   #2
my240iguanas
BANNED

my240iguanas is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to my240iguanas
you know i want to help but my comp wont let me show the pics , i just see the red X in a box , I can send you a tech manual just catch me on AIM
my240iguanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 09:57 PM   #3
sr240mike
Zilvia FREAK!

sr240mike is making a name for him/her selfsr240mike is making a name for him/her selfsr240mike is making a name for him/her self
Did your front clip have a hicas pump? Iirc a stock sr non-hicas pump did not bolt up to a hicas bracket correctly.

TWO IN THE COOT, ONE IN THE POOT
sr240mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:03 PM   #4
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
well we just did that and if they are such a great shop they should be able to nail it without blinking an eye . Normally this would be something I would be willing to help with but seeing as you want someone to show a shop thats another story. Its the shops job to know these kind of things. If you were going to do it yourself that would be another story.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html

Last edited by drift freaq; 04-15-2005 at 10:22 PM..
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:26 PM   #5
sleedawg

sr240mike... i don't know how the donor car was equiped. if you're saying that a clip w. a hicas pump bracket doesn't fit properly w. a USDM non-hicas pump, it's probably a hicas bracket. now, i'll just have to source another bracket... great.

drift_freaq... the shop I speak of doesn't normally do swaps and why Signal was the one who did the original swap. it's more a race car fabrication (read full on race car, w. cage and chassis fully seam welded), fine tuning, ecu programming, and full motor builds. they could fabricate a bracket and make it fit, but that's "reinventing the wheel" if it's an easy bolt on process.

they don't need me to defend them as they probably don't care (but I do)... so... just a little history and the shop's resume. the owners of the shop were the top engineers at HKS back in the day before they started their own hole in the wall shop. very traditional Japanese and why i would want to respect their privacy and not have every ricer stop by their shop when it's not a "show place." they are very well respected in the racing community. just to give you an idea of who some of their customers are... (modern era people that the drift community would know) they had Tarzan Yamada's 350 twin turbo drift car this past week and 2 other TT 350zs by very high profile people in the industry that needed help. (more historical) the engine they built for a WRX team won Pike's Peak hill climb in Pro Rally, and they won with the Archer brothers in their Eagle Talon program back in the day. etc. etc. who do the people in the industry go to? these guys. if you read any major magazine (automobile magazine, car and driver, road and track, superstreet, sports compact car)... you've come across cars they've worked on.

now, i wasn't asking you to teach them what to do... they need to see if they're missing a part or if any of the parts I provided them are wrong since there's no real shop manual for a sr20 swap w. US parts. they thought that either the bracket was wrong or that the pump was either missing a bracket, etc. they took my word that everything should bolt up. (and i thought it would since i read it on the internet... that was dumb) what did they say when they tried it... "nope." so thus i'm trying to get the right information.

ps. i'll add one more thing drift_freaq... i also happen to be in the automotive industry and you would have been doing a favor for me which i would pay back (not just the $20). but, oh well. sorry if it's too much to ask to help a fellow 240 enthusiast who has his latest track toy sitting.

Last edited by sleedawg; 04-16-2005 at 12:08 AM..
Old 04-16-2005, 12:14 AM   #6
Inland180
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
Inland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Inland180
You need to use the DOHC KA power stering pump and bracket. lines.. pretty much bolt on!!

Feedback LINK
Inland180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:49 AM   #7
sleedawg

i was told when i bought the remanufactured pump that it's a 91-93 DOHC pump. all the lines are brand new 91-93 lines from Nissan. the only thing in question is the bracket.

so i need the US bracket and it will bolt right on to the sr20 block?

by the way... some people are saying they're not seeing the pictures. the album is located here. http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePh...1&sort_order=0
Old 04-18-2005, 11:21 PM   #8
sleedawg

the answer to the mystery... the parts distributor sent me the wrong pump. thanks for everyone's help.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:10 PM   #9
theimbalance

theimbalance is an unknown quantity at this point
so just to clarify things, i have the same problem as sleedawg.
i bought my sr swapped 240 without powersteering. no pump, resevoir, nothing.
all i need is a pump, brackets, lines, and resevoir from a 91-94 ka24de?
how hard is it to install the lines? ive heard from others that it's done easier while the motor is out.
i've also heard that the threads on the lines are known to strip very easily.
thanks
theimbalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:24 PM   #10
the head
Nissanaholic!

Location: in a dark room mastering the art of typing with one hand
Trader Rating: (3)
the head is making a name for him/her selfthe head is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
the reasons the threads strip are because people rush you need to be very careful not to cross thread the lines as fo needeing the motor removed no you can get to tehm fine with the motor in if you want more room to get to them take off your turbo and mani it is really easy then
Old 05-02-2005, 05:13 PM   #11
sleedawg

there's gotta be something else to it... cause i'm still not done. UGGHHHH!!!!! i have the right pump now, but have 2 issues. 1 is getting the 91-94 powersteering pulley to line up w. the crank pulley. the other part is getting the tension bracket to line up properly so that we can get the belt to fit on properly.

for those who have "done it" please respond. once i have it done i will put a full write up. but those who answer... "oh yeah, it's just lines, pump, and a reservoir" haven't done it. cause it just ain't that plug and play.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:15 PM   #12
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
KA pump only fits the KA bracket.
KA bracket only fits the KA block.

Thank you, come again.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:05 PM   #13
sleedawg

that doesn't make sense...

let's start over. for those who have a 89-90 w. a sr20det swap...

1) we all agree you need the 91-93 power steering lines
2) also needs to move the reservoir.

assumptions...
3) "they" (whoever that may be) say you can use the USDM ka24de power steering pump from a 91-93.

variables...
a) which bracket that mounts to the side of the block do you use?
- i'm using the one that came w. the sr20det
b) which tension bracket do you use?

---- if you're saying you can only use a USDM bracket w. a US block and a JDM w. a JDM bracket... how da heck do people do the 91-93 swap w. US power steering pump?
Old 05-03-2005, 01:03 PM   #14
SirWarrior
Zilvia Addict

SirWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleedawg
---- if you're saying you can only use a USDM bracket w. a US block and a JDM w. a JDM bracket... how da heck do people do the 91-93 swap w. US power steering pump?
I use PS pump that came with my SR.
Since mine is 92, all the lines are fine.
So my guess for your stuff to work would be to:
Get the DOHC lines, Get res, get JDM pump and bracket.

Hope this helps
Old 05-04-2005, 01:36 PM   #15
theimbalance

im in the same boat as sleedawg, and jdm powersteering parts aren't that easy to find. the only pump i did find was off heavythrottle, where my motor came from, and it was 250.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:11 PM   #16
wa22jimmy

wa22jimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to wa22jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleedawg
that doesn't make sense...

let's start over. for those who have a 89-90 w. a sr20det swap...

1) we all agree you need the 91-93 power steering lines
2) also needs to move the reservoir.
with the slightest bit of fabrication skill the 89-90 sohc PS lines can be made to work on a SR or KADE.

Jimmy
Old 05-04-2005, 11:07 PM   #17
theimbalance

i emailed heavythrottle, and i got : "Not easy to use KA pump or SR, requires a lot of modification, we have not done it.*" this is from a shop that deals primarily with the SR.