Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-02-2005, 04:54 AM   #1
Carlwill
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Carlwill is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1st SR oil change

I decided to change the oil in my Redtop SR20DET. I drain the oil and everything is fine untill I realize where the damn oil filter is .
I then think this will be easier perhaps if I get under the car and try and grab the filter...wrong. The oil filter is mounted in the dumbest spot and almost impossible to get to and then for some small miracle you do get the oil filter lose, oil is now dripping all off my engine.

Is this just because I have no clue what I am doing? I have never seen a oil filter in a more annoying place and who the hell mounts their oil filter horizontal to the motor?

Any tips for getting this done w/o making a mess?

Linux System Administrator
rm -Vfr /etc/*nix "Love is a fist"
Carlwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2005, 07:38 AM   #2
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Remove the intake brace from the bottom of the intake to the block. This is right next to the filter and makes changes a bitch. You can also get a greddy intake to make more room.

If it's really a pain get a relocation kit.
S14DB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:53 AM   #3
wakdady
Leaky Injector

wakdady is on the path to ruinwakdady is on the path to ruin
get a long ass screw driver and hammer it through, then turn it as much as possible. Keep trying, eventually, you'll get it.

Taking off the manifold is for pussies! Once you get it off, be sure not to overtighten the new one.
wakdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:17 AM   #4
zenkiticks
Zilvia Member

zenkiticks is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlwill
Is this just because I have no clue what I am doing?
to early to determine that...
Quote:
Any tips for getting this done w/o making a mess?
try to not dump all the oil that is in the filter all over the side of the engine bay. basically as soon as you unscrew it, turn it up so you do not to spill anything.
zenkiticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:03 AM   #5
Carlwill
Zilvia Member

Ok, I have a Greddy intake manifold on the way so I hope this will make a big difference.

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-02-2005, 09:17 AM   #6
420sx
Post Whore!

420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
^dont forget u gonna need to mod a few things with the intake mani. its gonna be painful.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:54 AM   #7
Carlwill
Zilvia Member

I did not forget, I just don't know. What exactly needs to be modified to get the Greddy manifold to work? Every thread I searched in said nothing about modification at all.

Old 05-02-2005, 04:39 PM   #8
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
This is the most backwards thinking I have seen in a while. You have trouble getting an oil filter off so you decide to buy a $400 intake mani that will be much more of a pain in the ass to install than replacing an oil filter.

Also, you complain that it's going to leak on your engine but the greddy intake mani you ordered isn't going to help in that respect. You are still going to leak oil all over your engine mounts when you change your oil in the future. You should have just ordered a oil filter relocation kit for $150.
Flybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:39 PM   #9
S13_SX
Leaky Injector

S13_SX is a well-known jackass
I honestly don't see the problem with the SR oil filter. I have 0 problems changing my oil. Am I missing something or do all of you have fat ass arms?
S13_SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:50 PM   #10
Carlwill
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybert
This is the most backwards thinking I have seen in a while. You have trouble getting an oil filter off so you decide to buy a $400 intake mani that will be much more of a pain in the ass to install than replacing an oil filter.

Also, you complain that it's going to leak on your engine but the greddy intake mani you ordered isn't going to help in that respect. You are still going to leak oil all over your engine mounts when you change your oil in the future. You should have just ordered a oil filter relocation kit for $150.
You did not calculate eveything all at once ...

I was simply stating that the oil filter is bound to leak when you losen it as it is mounted horizontally. So because the oil filter is in a hard to reach spot, I should never upgarde my manifold? The fact is the oil is changed and it can be done w/o wasting $150 on a relocation kit.

socal -1

Old 05-02-2005, 04:58 PM   #11
NZO
Zilvia FREAK!

NZO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to NZO
Youre not the only one who is annoyed by this. Oil filter relocation is very high on my list.

sentinelguild.com/nzo/PFCDB/
NZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:13 PM   #12
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
You did not calculate eveything all at once ...

I was simply stating that the oil filter is bound to leak when you losen it as it is mounted horizontally.
No shit. I'd say most of us on here know that already seeing as we own 240sx's.

Quote:
So because the oil filter is in a hard to reach spot, I should never upgarde my manifold?
I don't remember ever saying that. However, I do believe I said that you shouldn't spend $400 on an intake manifold just to make oil changes easier.

Quote:
The fact is the oil is changed and it can be done w/o wasting $150 on a relocation kit.
But that kit would keep you from spilling oil on your engine mounts which seems to be a big problem for you.

Quote:
socal -1
Carlwill -91875210347502345 for making the most retarded newb thread topics on zilvia and for buying a CA powered silvia just to throw in an SR.

As somebody said before, take off the stupid intake manifold bracket, get a filter wrench adapter from autozone or wherever, and simple green the area that you spilled oil.
Flybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:17 PM   #13
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to wootwoot
How about you just get some brake clean and rags? They usually work pretty well.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:46 PM   #14
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Powder coating the block will make it easyier to clean too.
S14DB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:16 PM   #15
sr240mike
Zilvia FREAK!

sr240mike is making a name for him/her selfsr240mike is making a name for him/her selfsr240mike is making a name for him/her self
Put some cheap ass oil in, go to oil change place, pay the $19.99 and make it their problem.

TWO IN THE COOT, ONE IN THE POOT
sr240mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:54 AM   #16
Blues13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Blues13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The thing to remember is to not overtighten the filter. It becomes much easier once you start doing it yourself and not some mechanic who insists on using a wrench to permantly affix the filter to the block. Having it just snug enough to stay on will alleviate most of your headaches.
Blues13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:54 AM   #17
Carlwill
Zilvia Member

Yes, sprayed down the block with brake cleaner and looks nice and clean for the time being. Now the manofold is off and I was able to get to the mess I made much easier.

The trick for me is getting the filter loose and then quickly tiping the oil filter up so nothing else spills out. I have never seen a side mounted oil filter or I guess I am just to use to the 3SGTE motor.

Anyways, I am sure by my 3rd oil change I will be a champ. I just have a lot more shit on that side of the car than people realize since it is RHD. Power steering pump and res plus all lines and housings are right there, no to mention the huge alternator does not help.

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-03-2005, 06:43 AM   #18
sepulchral
BANNED

sepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymore
yeah you figured it out. nothing too it, a little oil on the block just means you're more hardcore
sepulchral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:19 AM   #19
wutangben
Zilvia Addict

wutangben is making a name for him/her selfwutangben is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to wutangben
The GReddy intake manifold will require a throttle wheel off an S14 SR motor (which jspec carries) as well as a custom throttle bracket, I think some bending w/ the fuel rail, and possibly a few other things I am forgetting. It's definitely no picnic to install...
wutangben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:18 PM   #20
SirWarrior
Zilvia Addict

SirWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
last time I checked OFRK from summit was about 50bux.
What are you paying the extra 100 for???
Old 05-03-2005, 03:44 PM   #21
ZK
Zilvia FREAK!

ZK is making a name for him/her selfZK is making a name for him/her selfZK is making a name for him/her self
To take the filter off, use one of those cap-type oil filter things that attach to a rachet and a long extension.. easily found at any auto parts place. As far as spilling oil all over the place taking out the filter, not much you can do about that. I just place a lot of newspapers underneath and go in and spray and wipe everything with a degreaser when I'm done.
ZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:50 PM   #22
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
^^^^ yeah those things are the best. Once again this is about having the right tools! You can have oil filter grips, the slip rings, or the ratchet deals which I dont know the right name of but are definitely my favorite for most situations. The correct tools and some brakeclean and the whole spiel is a breeze. Reguarding never seeing filters mounted in such a manner, you havent done to many oil changes then. Some manufactuers put the filter in the most ridiculous places ever. Ford Taurus for example. Oil filter is placed on front of the block above the catalytic converter and directly next to the starter. Anyone know how hot a catalytic converter operates at?
Old 05-03-2005, 05:03 PM   #23
dunno
Leaky Injector

dunno is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to dunno
Someone mentioned hammering a screwdriver into the filter and turning it that way. Pops it right out.

-Matt
dunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:50 PM   #24
wootwoot
Post Whore!

or you can not be ghetto and get the right tools....
Old 05-03-2005, 08:10 PM   #25
krustindumm
Zilvia Junkie

krustindumm is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
who the hell mounts their oil filter horizontal to the motor?
Honda, basically anything with a 4-cylinder since forever, and currently. Get over it, it's not that big of a deal. Honda does have one special tool (that I can't find a picture of) that has a magnet to stick to the oil pan, and directs the oil draining from the filter away from a x-member (to prevent oil from getting inside it, looks like an oil leak to customers).

Just spray the block down with some brake clean, and lube the seal good before instalation. Don't overtighten the filter, contact plus a turn is just fine.

And rule number one for ANY engine swap:

If you dont remove the filter before you install the engine, it is going to be stuck VERY well and be VERY hard to reach. So remove it while you can reach it easy!!
krustindumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:10 PM   #26
sciamop
Zilvia Member

sciamop is making a name for him/her selfsciamop is making a name for him/her self
Hopefully, you replaced the mad tite JDM oil filter before you installed the engine. If not, it is a PITA to get a tool in there to loosen it.

Otherwise, it should be easy to loosen by hand. If it's tough, you need to work on your kung-fu grip. Once mastered, you will be able to use your palm to remove the most stubborn oil filter. FRAM is a good beginner oil filter to practice with; it has a bedliner/grip-tape-like substance that will allow you to get a firm hold on it.

Spillage, alas, is a fact of life. Deal with it.

GL,
Todd
93 Coupe (needs oil change)
91 SE-R (needs oil change)
sciamop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:20 PM   #27
dunno
Leaky Injector

dunno is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to dunno
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot
or you can not be ghetto and get the right tools....
My ass. This is a 240 we're talking about.

-Matt
dunno is offline   Reply With Quote