Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat > LOUD NOISES

LOUD NOISES A place for political mudslinging, Pro/Anti legalization, gay marriage debate, Gun control rants, etc. If it's political, controversial, or hotly debated, it goes here. No regular Off-Topic stuff allowed. READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!

Old 09-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
slowvia
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
slowvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Man faces 75 years in prison for recording cops

Doesnt this just make your blood boil? I feel like this is a clear violation to the first amendment.
Courageous Illinois Man Faces 75 Years In Prison For Recording Cops - YouTube
slowvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
roboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Absolutely in fucking sane.

The constitution has to be held higher than a state law correct?
Old 09-07-2011, 12:45 AM   #3
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
BOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wow fuck that law.
BOROSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:54 AM   #4
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Walperstyle
Anyone thats going around recording cops sounds like a real stand up man.

frankly, most of you don't know the back story behind any of these tools of society. Yes there is bad cops, but really, some of these people need to be knocked out, tased etc.

Lawyers screwed up the US, the last thing we need is to be making looser rich by giving them a hope in court.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
travisty_
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
travisty_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
...Seriously?
travisty_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:11 AM   #6
tgd89
Leaky Injector

tgd89 is on a distinguished road
Uh, wtf are you talking about? We need less loose rich people?

I'm no constitution expert, but I don't think you have rights to record others, I don't think that falls under free speech or freedom of press. States are allowed to make laws tougher than federal, but not otherwise I believe?
tgd89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:42 AM   #7
Nidd
Leaky Injector

Nidd is an unknown quantity at this point
didn't know Illinois was one of the states pulling this bullshit. don't really see what the big deal about recording cops is. they record everything we do / say when we talk with them. just seems like the government is trying to find loop holes to gain more authority then they actually have.
Nidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:14 AM   #8
slowvia
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgd89 View Post
Uh, wtf are you talking about? We need less loose rich people?

I'm no constitution expert, but I don't think you have rights to record others, I don't think that falls under free speech or freedom of press. States are allowed to make laws tougher than federal, but not otherwise I believe?
The police record every single traffic stop they have. They dont need permission, and they dont have to inform you of it either.
And technically I believe you are correct. America was founded on the opinion that the state government should have more control of itself than the federal government does. But these days I think its the other way around.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:04 AM   #9
Silverstone

Silverstone is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Silverstone
This is retarded.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:47 AM   #10
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
IL law is trying to frame vids as a form of 'wiretapping'.
Wiretapping = Felony if found guilty up to 15 yrs sentencing.
5 counts of wiretapping = Max possible sentencing up to 75 yrs.

I think that's an implausible stretch to say videotaping is akin to wiretapping
(hence the controversy & media attention).
If anything I feel this is, yet again, the states trying to push boundaries against the constitution.

Chances that the said dude will get 75 years is not likely.
I doubt he'll get much prison term at all.
(still it sucks to get caught up in this legal farce)
Should be an interesting case to follow.
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:03 AM   #11
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
the police are getting tired of having their crimes exposed

if they have nothing to hide then why is there a big problem

police state....
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:30 AM   #12
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
[QUOTE=word sux;4238579]the police are getting tired of having their crimes exposed

[QUOTE]

However true this statement may be, it doesn't change the fact that the police do not make the laws.

I would like to know what politician came up with this law then pushed to have it passed? There's your real corruption, law makers trying to help cover up dirty cops.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:38 AM   #13
superbike81
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
superbike81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by word sux View Post
the police are getting tired of having their crimes exposed

if they have nothing to hide then why is there a big problem

police state....
I understand what you are saying, but if the "nothing to hide" argument is valid, than it should be valid for the average citizen as well. But then everyone gets up in arms about privacy rights and stuff. But if you aren't doing anything wrong, you shouldn't be concerned with being randomly pulled over and having police do random searches of your belongings, right?
superbike81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:42 AM   #14
HalveBlue
Zilvia FREAK!

HalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond repute
10$ says the Supreme Court is going to rule on this.
HalveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:56 AM   #15
xBandiTx
Zilvia Member

xBandiTx is an unknown quantity at this point
this is bullshit! What are the other states thats doing this? i hope its not in cali
Old 09-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #16
HyperTek
Post Whore!

HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
And people wonder why we say "fck the police" lol
Old 09-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #17
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperTek View Post
And people wonder why we say "fck the police" lol
I'm for a cop punching someone in the face for saying that.

Police save lives and catch criminals, but firemen only save lives...yet they are hero's. Maybe if many of you didn't get speeding tickers or told to turn down your music at a party you would have a different opinion of the Police.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #18
HyperTek
Post Whore!

HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walperstyle View Post
I'm for a cop punching someone in the face for saying that.

Police save lives and catch criminals, but firemen only save lives...yet they are hero's. Maybe if many of you didn't get speeding tickers or told to turn down your music at a party you would have a different opinion of the Police.
Because this is every cop right?

don't worry, we are more upset with the law. Don't hate the cop, hate the system. =p

Sorry, if you are a minority and have dealt with a cop before, you may know why we say that. If you never got shafted by anyone than I can understand "all cops are good and they save people weeeeeee lets pick flowers"
Old 09-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #19
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

fair enough. There is bad apples in every group. I just hate the hatebreeder's on youtube especially.

I knew a guy that got shot and killed in Tailand while on vacation a few years ago by an off duty cop. The media made the guy seem like a hero, and the cop a villian. First hand knowing this guy, he was probably trying to buy drugs off of someone, in a foreign country none the less. Not 100% positive but thats likely how it went down. some people have it coming to them.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #20
HyperTek
Post Whore!

I understand dude, i hate stereotyping them i know there are some good ones out there, these stories just kind of fuel us
Old 09-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #21
evomike
Zilvia Member

evomike is an unknown quantity at this point
This recently happened to someone else i forget the state where it took place but a man was arrested for recording police and well it didn't stand up at all.
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #22
tgd89
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalveBlue View Post
10$ says the Supreme Court is going to rule on this.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowvia View Post
The police record every single traffic stop they have. They dont need permission, and they dont have to inform you of it either.
And technically I believe you are correct. America was founded on the opinion that the state government should have more control of itself than the federal government does. But these days I think its the other way around.
But the constitution and state law isn't preventing them either, like it or not a state agency has more power than the average citizen. There is a state law (while a stretch at wiretapping) that could be interpreted against what he did, also the constitution was not written in mind with the ability to record or monitor anyone digitally.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #23
slowvia
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgd89 View Post
Agreed.

But the constitution and state law isn't preventing them either, like it or not a state agency has more power than the average citizen. There is a state law (while a stretch at wiretapping) that could be interpreted against what he did, also the constitution was not written in mind with the ability to record or monitor anyone digitally.
Thats debatable. One could argue that the fifth amendment protects us from such videotaping of citizens against their wishes. And Im sorry but the police have no more rights than any other citizen... at least technically.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:53 AM   #24
tgd89
Leaky Injector

There's definitely no fine line, I'm curious how would you argue that the fifth protects against this? I agree the police have not more rights than regular people on paper, but there is a difference in a court room if you are a cop.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:57 AM   #25
slowvia
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation
IE: A police officer informing you that you are being videotaped, and you ask them not to, but they still do. Only they dont ask.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:15 AM   #26
superbike81
Zilvia Junkie

superbike81 is an unknown quantity at this point
So how about when you are walking down a public street and there are video cameras? Wouldn't that be the same thing? Are you really arguing that video evidence of a crime is a bad thing? Or am I misunderstanding you? Because the fact that we have video evidence in crimes has been the reason that thousands of criminals have been caught.
superbike81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #27
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
so if i happen to be recording something outside, and a cop rolls by punching people in the head, i go to prison? AWESOME. Wire taps are legal without peoples consent, but recording a cop bashing someone isnt? Its called evidence, if no one recorded cops, than they would feel even more above the law since no one is reporting their crimes.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #28
slowvia
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbike81 View Post
So how about when you are walking down a public street and there are video cameras? Wouldn't that be the same thing? Are you really arguing that video evidence of a crime is a bad thing? Or am I misunderstanding you? Because the fact that we have video evidence in crimes has been the reason that thousands of criminals have been caught.
I cant answer all of that, but Im sure Mr. Cochran could get you off on it.
But what I can say is that the cops obviously think video taping crimes is wrong, because they wont let YOU do it.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #29
murda-c
Post Whore!

murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
I don't understand this. Other than possibly interfering with an undercover investigation? Maybe to reduce backlash?(though the easiest way to stop that from happening is for cops to not do stupid shit)

Maybe they just want to see what they can get away with?

I know there was a similar case last year here in MD with a guy on a bike recording a traffic stop, and the judge dismissed that. They really need to update those laws.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #30
bkt808
Zilvia Member

bkt808 is an unknown quantity at this point
this happened locally in maui also here is a vid I challenge Dog The Bounty Hunter and his crew to their video footage of the events. - YouTube the officer was put on administrative leave for striking the camera man
bkt808 is offline   Reply With Quote