Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2020, 04:34 PM   #1
DiscountPirate
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
DiscountPirate is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S13 Silvia Frankenstein, SR20DE w/ Auto > SR20DET w/ Manual Tranny

I have been working on completing this Silvia for a few years now, almost done. It is a 1990 PS13 Silvia that was imported to Cali in 2000. Originally it was a Q car with SR20DE and auto tranny, but it had been converted to SR20DET with manual tranny. I got it as a complete rolling chassis, and I just recently installed a complete SR20DET drivetrain from a K car. I intend to have the engine bay and drivetrain complete with all original accessories like HVAC and boost control solenoid, egr/evap cannister, etc. Since the car was previously set up in the same configuration most of the hard work has been done and I believe I just need to do some basic re-wiring to make it work. I've read a bunch of threads and have a general idea, I'm just having a hard time finding pics showing locations, etc. Please let me know if you have any info or suggestions. I can post pics (how do you post pics to a thread?). This is what I know:

-Car has original sr20de Automatic body/chassis/dashboard harness, still has auto ecu controller next to ECU in left footwell, and fuse box does not have relay for ignition coils.
-ECU is #62 and engine harness is sr20det with 3 pin MAF.
-Drivetrain is stock redtop sr20det with manual tranny, stock lower harness is complete with S13 VSS.
-Car already has manual pedals and clutch cylinders in place. There is no neutral safety switch behind clutch pedal.

At this point for the most part everything plugs into place, with the exception of one plug from the lower harness does not match the 6 pin plug that is next to the fuse box. There are also 3 additional wiring plugs mounted next to fuse box but I don't believe those are used. I haven't thoroughly inspected every single pin and wire color for match but when I put it together everything seemed to match up fine. I have read about doing some stuff for the manual swap like bridging neutral switch wires, hardwire reverse lights, VSS, etc. Is there a good thread anyone can show me with pics and info regarding all this swapping? I know what I'm doing with the car, I just can't find the info to do it. Thanks for any help.

Cliffs Version **** Problem solved. There is alot of info on internet for doing sr20det swaps and auto to manual conversions into 240sx but I only found a few bits of information that were JDM RHD specific. In the end it all comes down to wiring and having known good parts. Even though the rhd wiring and mechanicals had slight differences from US 240sx most things plugged in or just required wire matching. I got the drivetrain from a clip and had spare components which made a big difference. It helps when you have known good parts, unless it was pulled from a running car or you tested it yourself there is no way to rule it out. If you don't have spares you can do checks with a multimeter to confirm something as good. You can visually check alot of the wires for matching colors at the plugs at ecu, dash, engine, chassis, coilpack and lower harnesses. Don't assume everything is connected properly unless you have visually confirmed yourself. Also for wiring I have never hardwired or butt connectored anything, I always maintain intact oem wiring and make wiring connectors or adapter harnesses. There are a couple versions of the oem sr20det harnesses with one or two different connectors but main thing is having correct harness for ecu (62/63 vs. J4). Check ALL of your grounds are present and good. If something doesn't work focus on that part of the system but in the end it all comes down to the basics: air, fuel, ignition. As far as fuel I had to replace the fuel pump which was caked due to old gas, used an R32 gtr fuel pump. Here in Cali we have ethanol crap 91 gas, and it can cause breakdown of rubber hoses and wiring insulation. The jdm silvia fuel tank is slightly different from 240sx, the filler neck does not have a flapper. I had a o ring that I thought was supposed to seal between pump housing and gas tank but it originally did not have one, so I just used Toyota FIPG to seal it. That's some of the stuff I learned.

Last edited by DiscountPirate; 10-06-2020 at 03:18 PM..
DiscountPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links