Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-27-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Bleakley is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
RWD SR20VE-T engine management

I am sitting here rattling my brain searching and thinking and cannot figure this out. I plan on performing the VE head swap and can not decide/figure out what to do about engine management. I am considering an AEM standalone. My biggest thing is what I heard..
I heard (do not know, just heard) that Honda's VTEC is controlled by the ECU and there is two seperate maps (for in VTEC and out of VTEC).

Now, I am sitting here searching and thinking, if they can have it why the f*** can't I? I am spending the money, it's my cake, I want to eat it too..

What are my options? There does not seem to be a lot.. Or have I not searched enough? As far as my preferences, I think an ECU (based on if Honda has it, if they don't and it is not possible, then so beit.) option that does not give us control/tuning over the VVL does not sound great...

Anyone with experience or knowledge on what to run and what works, and delivers in depth tunng, I am ready to digest..
Bleakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2014, 07:38 AM   #2
Not You
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Not You is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you are buying a full standalone from either AEM or Haltech they will have the proper parameters to control the VVL. I personally, like Haltech over AEM. Thats just my prefrence however.
Not You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Bleaky- read the Sr20/22Ve thread in chat. If you have questions, ask them there.

You pretty much have your answer above. You do not need two maps. The cars are tuned on the low cam and then switched to the high cam and tuned there in their appropriate rpm ranges. This has been done with an RPM based switch for VVL solenoids and a Nistune. No need to over think it really.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
You don't need two maps, but on nicer ECU/EMS you can blend between two maps so that you can change the switch point and already have everything tuned for that (i.e. change cam switch from 4000 RPM to 4500 RPM, and you already have a fully tuned VVL lobe map - no worries).

An AEM Infinity 6 or 8h can do this no problem. You can use a P12 CAS with an AEM disk in it and pretty much a stock harness that you hack the ECU plug off and pin in the Infinity connector. Then just run some extra wires for the extra Infinity sensors. I considered doing this, but decided against it and just built my own harness - which takes for F'in ever, but will be cleaner.

But really, if this is throwing you that much, I suggest you do not tune your own setup.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

I see. It is starting to make sense to me. I just need kickstarted on this as I have no experience. Once I get my feet wet, I should be able to spread my wings and fly. I am on a constant learning curve. Lol.
So tune a map for low, tune a map for high. Where you are intersecting/switching, blend the two maps... AWESOME!
If I had to build my own harness, I believe I could, I am quite capable/adaptable in most cases. I just want the best and the upmost reliability out of my setup. Do not care which way I have to go to get there.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
For a setup like VVL/VTEC, you don't blend the maps, it's either 100% on the low map or 100% on the high map. For something like dual VANOS/modern Nissan VTC you'd blend it between values.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
For a setup like VVL/VTEC, you don't blend the maps, it's either 100% on the low map or 100% on the high map. For something like dual VANOS/modern Nissan VTC you'd blend it between values.
I am not understanding. That sounds like you would not be at optimum performance..:/

How can there be just one map for either or? UNLESS you blend the maps at intersection? Low map would not be sufficient for high rpm ops. High map would not be sufficient for low rpm ops. What am I missing/not seeing/not understanding?
I appreciate any and all the help, I can not tell you how much.

EDIT: I think I meant what you meant (I think we meant the same thing..)
(Day 1) 2 maps: One for Low, one for High - both idle to 8,000
Determine when you want VVL to kick. For instance - 4.25k
(Day 2) 1 map: beginning half is your idle to 4.25k low parameters from day 1's low map, second half is your 4.25k to 8k High parameters/map from day 1...
Old 07-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #8
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
You'll tune for the low lobes and high lobes on the same map. They switch lobes, not maps. Tune low lobes up to 5k, cams switch and tune up to redline. I think you're over analyzing it.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:01 PM   #9
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Go Nismotronic, they have great support when it comes to VE stuff:
http://www.sr20-forum.com/tunercode/...ck-de-ecu.html
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
Not You
Leaky Injector

Not You is an unknown quantity at this point
You don't need 2 maps for a cam profile change. You just change a parameter on the map at witch the profiles change. If you are having someone to tune this they already know this, if not take it somewhere else
Not You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:28 PM   #11
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
You'll tune for the low lobes and high lobes on the same map. They switch lobes, not maps. Tune low lobes up to 5k, cams switch and tune up to redline. I think you're over analyzing it.
I think I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Go Nismotronic, they have great support when it comes to VE stuff:
http://www.sr20-forum.com/tunercode/...ck-de-ecu.html
Thanks for the recommendation. I will look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not You View Post
You don't need 2 maps for a cam profile change. You just change a parameter on the map at witch the profiles change. If you are having someone to tune this they already know this, if not take it somewhere else
This is where I would beg to differ though... If i were running JWT S3's and were tuned for them and then switched to, say, BC stage 3's or back to stock I would need another tune to really dial that sucker in.. EDIT: on a DET that is.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #12
OnTheChip
Zilvia Junkie

OnTheChip is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's a link to the NismotronicSA system features list.

Here's a link to the Nismotronic Advertisers Thread
OnTheChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #13
Def
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleakley View Post
I am not understanding. That sounds like you would not be at optimum performance..:/

How can there be just one map for either or? UNLESS you blend the maps at intersection? Low map would not be sufficient for high rpm ops. High map would not be sufficient for low rpm ops. What am I missing/not seeing/not understanding?
I appreciate any and all the help, I can not tell you how much.

EDIT: I think I meant what you meant (I think we meant the same thing..)
(Day 1) 2 maps: One for Low, one for High - both idle to 8,000
Determine when you want VVL to kick. For instance - 4.25k
(Day 2) 1 map: beginning half is your idle to 4.25k low parameters from day 1's low map, second half is your 4.25k to 8k High parameters/map from day 1...
The lift and duration change is near instant, so that's why there is no "blending" between the maps. You run on the low lobe map until you kick the cams over, then immediately go full high lobe map. With something like continuously variable valve timing like newer VTC/VANOS/VARIOCAM etc. you use percentages of blend between two maps depending on what your cam timing is.

I'm not sure why everybody here is so stuck in the 90's way of tuning of changing the values drastically in the map. Yes - it works, but it's not the ideal way to do it because you've got to retune things if you ever change your VVL switchover point. With two tuned maps you're good.

Personally I'm going AEM Infinity 6 on my car. I think it's a great price point for its features.