Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #31
wolf904
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
wolf904 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KravingAKouki View Post
I would stay away from uhaul. I used them once, and the trailers aren't made for lower than stock cars, unless you leave your car sitting on 2x4s. The sides of the tracks have 45* angle to hold the tires incase the car slides, and it'll pinch your frame. I had to drive 3 hours home on 2x4s, constantly having to check to make sure they didn't move around. Not to mention having a hell of a time loading and unloading the car. Keep up the progress man, car definitely did a 180 since the first pics of it.
dang i'll keep it in mind then. I just dont like borrowing peoples trailers because if shit hits the fan then its on me. With uhual/ they have their insurance stuff. I'm sure it'd be hard as hell to get on though lol.

Thanks again man. too bad the car itsself cant turn into a 180 hahaha . I think im gonna do one or 2 more events and really get driving down then finish up the exterior and hopefully have more wheels by then. I didn't want to stop running the works and go to janky spares lol but got to a point where was getting absolutely no grip from them. Want to keep the car looking cool while drifting so its more fun to watch
wolf904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #32
KravingAKouki
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
KravingAKouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf904 View Post
dang i'll keep it in mind then. I just dont like borrowing peoples trailers because if shit hits the fan then its on me. With uhual/ they have their insurance stuff. I'm sure it'd be hard as hell to get on though lol.

Thanks again man. too bad the car itsself cant turn into a 180 hahaha . I think im gonna do one or 2 more events and really get driving down then finish up the exerior and hopefully have more wheels by then. I didn't want to stop running the works and go to janky spares lol but got to a point where was getting absolutely no grip from them. Want to keep the car looking cool while drifting so its more fun to watch
I hear ya man. I am looking for an enclosed trailer, and just biting the bullet. I was in your shoes, and it motivated me to get my own so it was on me. I rushed and got a beat up trailer for cheap, and regretted not just getting the one I wanted from the get go. All in due time man. Focus more on perfecting your driving before you style up. I felt the same way, but i used stockies as spares till I could afford some real wheels as spares. I hear ya on wanting to look good, but I would sacrifice some style to keep driving man. I had works to start, but as the day went on, I would switch to stocks to keep driving. Tires are cheaper for stocks too, which left more money for fixes/mods. Just don't mod past your skill level. I was on no angle mods, and ka for 2.5 years before I felt like I was content with my driving technique.
KravingAKouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:18 PM   #33
wolf904
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KravingAKouki View Post
Focus more on perfecting your driving before you style up. I felt the same way, but i used stockies as spares till I could afford some real wheels as spares. I hear ya on wanting to look good, but I would sacrifice some style to keep driving man. I had works to start, but as the day went on, I would switch to stocks to keep driving. Tires are cheaper for stocks too, which left more money for fixes/mods. Just don't mod past your skill level. I was on no angle mods, and ka for 2.5 years before I felt like I was content with my driving technique.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf904 View Post
I found out over the weekend that it functions pretty much perfect so I'm going to stray away from overcomplicating the build and instead focus on more seat time and improving my skill with this setup. And use the money instead to make the car look better haha. I appreciate the kind words though man, I will do my best to get it looking proper forsure.
Trust me dude when I say I will focus more on perfecting my driving. I too used my works to start the day off, then switched to my garbage spares just to keep going haha, which the tires for were free. Car already has angle mods and well setup suspension with plenty of power for me, so all thats left to do to the car is continue maintaining it, alongside with making it look proper. And I'm not sinking money into it either. I'm getting rep 180 kouki aero, and just a cheap single stage paint or getting a hook up on a regular bc/cc. I just want it to not look multi colored and aero-less. I definitely understand what you're saying though. I know people who did like one or 2 events then took their car down to build it for another few years. Not trying to end on that path.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:17 PM   #34
wolf904
Zilvia Addict

came across these photos of me sucking from the event lol. love that inconspicuous watermark too.

Anyone know the first name of whoever shot the photos so I can credit them?

In other news, I had to assess the car from the event. most of the damage was taken from getting on/off the trailer alone

Good thing this intercooler isnt sweet. More reason to get a cool one

Oh and also on my very first run at the event my hood flew the fuck up on that ebrake entry. Real sick like. Great first impression of who I am as a person. I didn't really like how hood pins look but I guess I should get some now

not too concerned as I want to get a cooler looking vented hood in the future anyways

The main thing I was concerned to find out was when I removed my intercooler to redo the broken bracket. Suddenly...

Reverting back to the oem pcv system did stop the smoking issue I had at first versus the shoddy catch can setup I had, but I'm assuming this was only temporary until oil got into the system. I did notice the exhaust was smoking at times in grid at the event after some hotlapping! I have done my research and will be running a baffled catch can on the exhaust cam cover pcv hose, and another hose from the catch can to the intake pipe so the vapors still can be burned off without throwing oil inside.

So basically here is what the car is looking like at the moment. Need to get some energy and clean all the piping out, hook everything back up, and hook a catch can back up. If I still have smoking issues then gonna do some more diagnosis but I'm hoping/fairly sure the issue was only from my poorly setup pcv system.

switched wheels up on my daily again for a little while. Next even is january 23rd so need to get whatever prep work done on the car and get ready! then after this next event want to start making moves on the aero/paint.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:45 AM   #35
wolf904
Zilvia Addict

Now it hurts to look back on the thread and see where the car has been. Feels

where do i start off? so much has happened in so little of time.

So Where was I? the oil in the intercooler?

So I pulled the piping and the intake tube all out. cleaned everything out Ic had pools of oil in it

hit it with air compressor of course afterwards

plugged intake tube off

ran that hose to a catch can with a breather

sunroof popped even in the rain

car ran good afterwards. no more smoke. boosted fine. good.

got a wilwood master cylinder for free form a friend so installed the hydro that had came with my car just to try it out. wasnt all that and definitely wouldnt do some shit like this in a full interior car, but it was fun to be able to pull the handle and was more comfortable than regular ebrake i guess

if only i had more wheels when this was taken

started it and drove it everyday before the next event. did my oil change and all my prep work. even had the car on the trailer a night before the event (a first lmao)

sexy style

Well I got to the event. First one there actually. Never felt more prepared for an event in my life. forgot to air the works down on the first run so it was spin city at 60 psi haha. went to do my 2nd run which was better and i was getting the hang of it. come back and oil is all over the place and dripping on the ground and i think i fucked my oil pan. pop hood and the catch can breather is saturated in oil. sickmove car. also it felt like it was fucking -20 degrees out with gusts of wind so didnt even feel like troubleshooting the car. just ran the hose under the trans tunnel on intake side and skipped the catch can. said fuck it. oil was still good and i always slightly overfill. kept trying to do runs and for some reason cam angle sensor plug kept falling off and causing loss of power or the car to die. then it got a nasty misfire after i drifted on the works and i was done for the day

several paychecks down the drain. countless hours down the drain. I dont like to be the little bitch since drifting is all about having fun and showupshowoff. but couldnt really show off when the car couldnt even do a a entry without shutting off hahahaha. so for feeling more prepared than ever, and to do horrible i was over it. my family had already basically told me despite how bad i wanted to register the car, they didn't think it was safe or a smart move for me. cant blame em. i was pissed i drove the car every day around the neighborhood and it was perfect then get to the event and its garbage.

so where did that leave me? i had been fiending for seat time since the last event where the car did perfect and my driving was actually pretty good. i talked to a friend who is basically a mentor to me and he essentially said "well, thats why my old coupe was registered. i could daily the car, and take it streeting. this way if there was any weakspots or problems with the chassis/motor, i could work them out ahead of time and have a car ready for the track." this kind of hit deep since i wanted nothing more to register the car.

I got depressed and my s14 wasn't selling. I had to reevaluate what I wanted out of drifting, and what I wanted out of my build in general...

My preferable style is pretty simple and straightforward. its a formula thats worked for countless other cars:
-stock body chassis
-full interior with some dope seats/interior theme
-A proper wheel setup with a good ride height and wheel fitment. love monoblock, but 3 piece is also cool if the wheels aren't overly wide and don't look retarded
-proper exterior. OEM aero or a cool kit. lights and mirrors. cool paint
-proper engine bay that looks good and is a reliable swap
-proper suspension. bushings/balljoints/quality components.
-a street driven car. load up, drive to the track, drive home. streeting afterwards. etc.

I know what everyone is thinking. This is the exact opposite of my s13. which is overfenders, was getting replica oem aero, was gutted. etc.

HOWEVER

lots of these things applied to my s14. This car was also registered and insured. I had just been putting it off since i was doing so much stuff to the s13 trying to make it what I wanted. But it was finally time so let go all the plans I had. I had met a friend down in Clermont and seeing his car, and just talking, made me subconsciously realize what needed to be done.

I listed up the main parts for sale first on the local forum. east bears, hood, and coilovers sold in the first night. right now the car is going to be a stock suspension, 4 lug, stock hood/mirror, running driving car. engine and swap remain untouched and i've figured out the oil issue. but i can't afford 2 cars at age 18, and even if i could, i'd want to drive both on the street which isn't going to happen. So I parted the car out, made money on pretty much everything i had invested. I'm wasting no time on the s14. I've made a vow to only buy quality parts for it, and use my experience and lessons from the s13 and apply it to that car.

Before I move forward, I might as well spam what little coverage I have from the last event in the s13 ever

(my wheels look like schwerts in that photo haha)

http://vid1224.photobucket.com/album...toodriftoo.mp4

Next post I'll put whats been going down with my s14. All I can really say is I'm going to take everything I've learned from the s13 and apply it to this car, and this time around with quality parts.I'll post a few updates on it here while I wait for a new thread to be made. To anyone thats read all of this, appreciated what I've done with this car, it means alot. I'm going to do a rps13 kouki one day but when I do the next time around it will be stock body and full interior haha.