Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-17-2011, 03:43 AM   #1
FiltheOne

Trader Rating: (0)
FiltheOne is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CAR OVERHEATS!! what to do!?

Sup guys, i got a 91 240sx recently i replaced the radiator because it had some bad corrosion and found out it had a slight crack on the top, went to the junk yard and got another one and put it in, now it keeps heating up again. I thought it could be the thermostat so i bought a new gasket and thermostat, replaced everything back and tried having the car on idle and having the bleed bolt loose and was filling the radiator til it came out the bolt but never did. I know theres no leak and i also realized that the second fan not the clutch fan the fan near the radiator isnt spinning. I really wanna fix this without breaking my pockets to fix it.

ALSO when driving it it seems to heat up in idle but when i reach about the 3rd and 4th gear it starts to cool down...

ANY HELP, SUGGESTIONS, or ADVICE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!
FiltheOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2011, 03:46 AM   #2
MisawaJason
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
MisawaJason is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
search for your answers

Is the water pump on its way out? Have you jacked up the front while bleeding it? Did you squeeze the lower hose while you were bleeding it?
Old 03-17-2011, 04:06 AM   #3
Corey121
Leaky Injector

Corey121 is an unknown quantity at this point
The system needs to be bleed, and it could take a while just be patient with it cause it is a pain. Jack up the front of the car or put it on ramps loose the bleeder bolt on top and turn your car on with the heater full blast. I did this acouple times and left it on the ramps over night to get all the extra air in the system out.

Corey121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:54 AM   #4
FiltheOne

also the ac does have heat, i had it on today and kept checking to see if the air got hot but it never did. will putting it on ramps really help? I had the bleed bolt open and the radiator cap of and was filling it, went to check if the car was heating up in the dash and it didnt seem like it but when i walked back to the front of the car the radiator was over flowing back into the funnel bubbling
Old 03-17-2011, 04:56 AM   #5
FiltheOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisawaJason View Post
search for your answers

Is the water pump on its way out? Have you jacked up the front while bleeding it? Did you squeeze the lower hose while you were bleeding it?
im not sure about the water pump, is there a way to check and see if its going out?
Old 03-17-2011, 05:10 AM   #6
MisawaJason
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
MisawaJason is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiltheOne View Post
also the ac does have heat, i had it on today and kept checking to see if the air got hot but it never did. will putting it on ramps really help? I had the bleed bolt open and the radiator cap of and was filling it, went to check if the car was heating up in the dash and it didnt seem like it but when i walked back to the front of the car the radiator was over flowing back into the funnel bubbling
it'll do that until the thermostat cracks open. Give it some RPM's and it'll crack. Also, did you install the thermostat the correct way and with the nipple in the correct orientation?
Old 03-17-2011, 05:34 AM   #7
mattack69
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
mattack69 will become famous soon enoughmattack69 will become famous soon enoughmattack69 will become famous soon enoughmattack69 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mattack69 Send a message via MSN to mattack69 Send a message via Yahoo to mattack69
Quote:
im not sure about the water pump, is there a way to check and see if its going out?

put your finger underneath the middle of the water pump, feel for the weep hole. if water is leaking from there she be stuck open hoss.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #8
dawagarage
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (23)
dawagarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
then number one cause for overheating in our cars is improper bleeding of the coolant system. yes raising the front end of the car while bleeding the system will truly help. if that doesnt work then come back to us
dawagarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
nissansrdub
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
nissansrdub is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
is your junkyard radiator clogged?
nissansrdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
FiltheOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissansrdub View Post
is your junkyard radiator clogged?
no i dnt believe so i pour fluid in it and it came out near the thermostat so i assume it wasnt clogged
Old 03-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #11
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
bleed bleed bleed bleed and bleed again. then bleed some more. KA's are a pain to bleed.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
Cali KiD 240

Cali KiD 240 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm having a similar overheating problem myself. With the thermostat, my car overheats after being driven for awhile; without the thermostat it obviously stays cool. I've changed the water pump, radiator, stopped using autozone crap thermostats and went oem, and I know it isn't one of the two fans. It's annoying the hell out of me, because this problem hasn't gone away for weeks.. I guess I'm not bleeding it properly,..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisawaJason View Post
it'll do that until the thermostat cracks open. Give it some RPM's and it'll crack. Also, did you install the thermostat the correct way and with the nipple in the correct orientation?
Just to be sure, where exactly should the nipple be? And when are you certain the thermostat cracks open? Thanks..
Cali KiD 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #13
Sr20Bluebird
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
Sr20Bluebird is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Just to be sure, where exactly should the nipple be? And when are you certain the thermostat cracks open? Thanks..
If im not mistaken the nipple on the thermostat is suppose to on top. I guess you could say at the 12 o'clock position. As far as checking to see if the thermostat is open or closed once you have it installed, turn on the car and squeez the top hose with your hand, the hose should be stiff and not collapse, meaning the thermostat is closed and not allowing water to flow into the block. Once the engine is warmed up and the thermostat opens you squeez the top hose again (be carefull it may be hot) and you should be able to squeez the hose. One thing I always do before installing a new thermostat is boil up some water in a pot on the stovetop and place the new thermostat in just to test it to make sure it opens. And yes I have gotten faulty new thermostats before.
Sr20Bluebird is offline   Reply With Quote