Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:29 AM   #1
NissanRWD
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
NissanRWD is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 Just found out my zenki had frame damage.. Suggestions?

I bought my Zenki a little over a year ago super happy that it was a clean title, never modded and clean as fuck with some general factory paint flaws. I just started working at Carmax where they taught me how to look for frame damage, and whaddya know, my frame shows clamp marks meaning it was straightened at one point. After moping for 2 days and some research, I found that it may not be so bad. So from what I know, the aprons may be damaged and it has been in a front end collision. How bad? Not sure. I'm gonna visit a shop tomorrow to see how straight it is to factory.
It drives straight, no abnormal tire wear, maybe a slight rattle sound on the side where the apron was messed with but it rarely comes up. I know the fenders have been taken off and all that. I already know about sway bars, strut tower bars and roll cages, but I don't want a roll cage. I'll work on buying the bars. Also worth noting that i've driven from San Diego to Orange County and back almost at least 50 times since I got the car. Never noticed anything out of the ordinary. But I wanna know:

Is the apron replaceable or fixable?
Can a frame be fixed by a pro and be good?
-I was a little relieved at least to know it was clamped down meaning it was done properly rather than some diy job.

Will stiffening the chassis help with countering the negative effects of frame damage?
-I've read about foam in the rails and floor to stiffen the chassis, fender braces, and tack welding. Can someone explain more in depth? Found all this info from other random forums so it'd be nice to hear from some zilvia pros and ppl with experience

Would adding fender braces help?
I mean If that part of the frame was damaged, would putting fender braces on be a good idea?

Basically I wanna make my chassis stiffer so it'll be up to par if not better than it would be if it didn't have frame damage. If it didn't have frame, I probably wouldn't have done any of this stuff. I'm sorry it's kinda useless without pics but i'll get on that in the morning. I just read a lot and figured i'd start the post. I'd really appreciate any help. This is actually my first thread outside of selling stuff. Forgive any noobness I may have.

EDIT: Tried to upload pics, says their too big. I'll try to put them up but I'm still glad to hear all opinions.

Last edited by NissanRWD; 05-28-2014 at 04:16 AM..
NissanRWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2014, 06:16 AM   #2
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Just the fact that it drives straight and the title is clean would be enough for me not to give a crap about anything else. Who cares if the frame got tweaked some, atleast you know it got fixed correctly. If you're still bent out of shape over it, sell it and get another car. It would be cheaper to do that than try to fix it again when it drives straight and everything on the car lines up.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
What he said.

As far as stiffenning the chassis goes, there are only 2 things that work : seam welding, roll cage. Try everything else, you will be lucky to get at most 5% of what these do.

Foam is also utter bullshit, as you would have found if you had dug a little deeper. It is very good at making your frame rails rust though.

Finally, no, you dont want a stiffer chassis. Unless you plan on racing with big sticky hoosiers, you don't, really.

Your car drives fine, so drive it.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Its a 20 yr old car all are bit tweaked by now if car feels/drives fine and you dint even know before hand why bother now its not a ferrari or something classic to sweat it. I would get a nismo brace and call it a day.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:58 AM   #5
NissanRWD
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Just the fact that it drives straight and the title is clean would be enough for me not to give a crap about anything else. Who cares if the frame got tweaked some, atleast you know it got fixed correctly. If you're still bent out of shape over it, sell it and get another car. It would be cheaper to do that than try to fix it again when it drives straight and everything on the car lines up.
Haha "bent out of shape"
I hear ya, I guess I was just super disappointed cuz I looked pretty hard to find a s14 unmolested low miles clean title and felt the need to do something bout it.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:04 AM   #6
NissanRWD
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post
Its a 20 yr old car all are bit tweaked by now if car feels/drives fine and you dint even know before hand why bother now its not a ferrari or something classic to sweat it. I would get a nismo brace and call it a day.
Haha it's pretty much a classic to me and I really love my car. And thanks, hadn't thought of the nismo brace! I forgot I have a job now and can afford to spend more