Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:07 AM   #151
TheFirstFrontier

Trader Rating: (0)
TheFirstFrontier is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how much hp can a stock ka24de crankshaft handle safely and reliably? aside from b&b, what mods or other maybe forged units are available? thx
TheFirstFrontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #152
eberle
Leaky Injector

eberle is an unknown quantity at this point
here's what i got...need help

Rebuilt KA using new stock components
New Oil pump
New Water pump
All new gaskets
New clutch master cylinder
New slave cylinder
New steel braided clutch line
New brake booster
New ACT stage 3 cutch and pressure plate
Resurfaced flywheel
Megan aluminum Rad
slim electric fan
Turbo Kit:
Garrett T3 RB20 turbo
Log manifold
custom dump pipe bolting striaght to aftermarket 3" downpipe with flex section
Full 3" bolt on stainless turbo back exhaust
Huge FMIC and stainless piping
knock off SSCV bov
10:1 FMU
stock maf
Walbro 225

Last edited by eberle; 06-13-2010 at 07:23 PM..
eberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:27 AM   #153
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
iamtheyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
holy shit... I came here to get some more FAQ's to see some more knowledge about KA-T's but all I see are these dumbass questions.

FAIL.
iamtheyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:40 PM   #154
wrcs240

wrcs240 is an unknown quantity at this point
timing help

Can you please help me out.I'm stuck and have no idea whats goin on. I've set the crank at zero, the lobes are facing out.sprockets are in tthe right spot and the distributor is on #1. The wires are in the right spot, and itll turn over and start jumping like it wants to start but it just won't.please help me out I've read all the forums and tried everything I've read.
wrcs240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #155
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
iamtheyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcs240 View Post
Can you please help me out.I'm stuck and have no idea whats goin on. I've set the crank at zero, the lobes are facing out.sprockets are in tthe right spot and the distributor is on #1. The wires are in the right spot, and itll turn over and start jumping like it wants to start but it just won't.please help me out I've read all the forums and tried everything I've read.
This is a faq thread. Go learn. Go to the tech section. Go to KA-T.org and post up in THEIR FACT Thread. Stop being a

iamtheyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #156
gogoka

gogoka is an unknown quantity at this point
KA i need some help

so i have an s14 that i let my brother drive cuz he was wit out a car...few months in i find he's been drivin the car wit no oil and its blowin white smoke out the exhaust now im not exactly sure wat that means but i know its not good!!! now im gettin hit wit diff ideas as wat to do...some say rebuild, some say swap, others say sell but most people have no idea wat they're talkin bout...any suggestions would be appreciated!
gogoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #157
hang_510

hang_510 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoka View Post
most people have no idea wat they're talkin bout...any suggestions would be appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheyi View Post
This is a faq thread. Go learn. Go to the tech section. Go to KA-T.org and post up in THEIR FACT Thread. Stop being a
hang_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #158
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by eberle View Post
here's what i got...need help

Rebuilt KA using new stock components
New Oil pump
New Water pump
All new gaskets
New clutch master cylinder
New slave cylinder
New steel braided clutch line
New brake booster
New ACT stage 3 cutch and pressure plate
Resurfaced flywheel
Megan aluminum Rad
slim electric fan
Turbo Kit:
Garrett T3 RB20 turbo
Log manifold
custom dump pipe bolting striaght to aftermarket 3" downpipe with flex section
Full 3" bolt on stainless turbo back exhaust
Huge FMIC and stainless piping
knock off SSCV bov
10:1 FMU
stock maf
Walbro 225

Well..... The stock maf will not take you very far....the FMU will only do so much, you're going to need larger injectors. T3 turbo, so most likely it is externally wastegated, so you'll need one of those. ARP hardware is good insurance.

For starters.
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #159
smbonn2005
Zilvia Junkie

smbonn2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxball88 View Post
Well..... The stock maf will not take you very far....the FMU will only do so much, you're going to need larger injectors. T3 turbo, so most likely it is externally wastegated, so you'll need one of those. ARP hardware is good insurance.

For starters.
Definately gunna need at least SR injectors. And the stock RB20 turbo is just a t3 flanged t25 w/ an internal wastegate so he wont need that. And I would definately recomend ARP hardware =)
smbonn2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #160
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbonn2005 View Post
Definately gunna need at least SR injectors. And the stock RB20 turbo is just a t3 flanged t25 w/ an internal wastegate so he wont need that. And I would definately recomend ARP hardware =)
Thanks for the correction, i wasn't aware of the t3 flange t2 turbo for the RB. Don't want to give out misinformation!
Then yes at least sr injectors would be good.
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #161
SiDwAyZ240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (13)
SiDwAyZ240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Is there no moderator for this thread? It's a shame all the usefull info in this thread is impossible to find among all of this other garbage. I think this thread should no longer be classified as a FAQ STICKY.
SiDwAyZ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #162
1sttime240driver

1sttime240driver is an unknown quantity at this point
s13 KA pinging when accelerating..

Im new to this website and forum so im not sure if im posting in the right place so please excuse my mistake.

I have and '89 240sx with the ka motor. I just bought it 3 days ago and it makes this pinging noise when i accelerate. I had to get on the interstate to get to work this morning and when i got up to about 65 mph it wouldnt go any faster and the more throttle i gave it the more power i would lose. The car threw some pretty thick white smoke out the exhaust and died. Now when i turn it over all it does is whine.. It sounds like its not turning the cam or the valves but im not sure. Im not very familiar with imports but im learning. Could it be the timing chain? And if so what else gets damaged when that happens? Bent valves?

Please HELP!!!
1sttime240driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #163
1sttime240driver

1sttime240driver is an unknown quantity at this point
I think my timing chain snapped. How would i know that for sure? What would it sound like? And what else is damaged when that happens? Please HELP!!!
1sttime240driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #164
n8RPS13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
n8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcs240 View Post
Re-check that both of your cam sprocket and crank sproket are set to TDC (NEVER turn them independently, always with the chain on) make sure that your marks on the oil pump and the oil pump rod (it connects to the crank spindle and distributor) are lined up the check your distributor is lining up with the oil pump rod. This is very easy there is a thread on this somewher here that links to another forum just SEARCH.

WASTED I AM!
n8RPS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #165
n8RPS13
Zilvia FREAK!

n8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of light
s13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttime240driver View Post
I think my timing chain snapped. How would i know that for sure? What would it sound like? And what else is damaged when that happens? Please HELP!!!
WTF this is a KAT FAQ thread stop asking stupid a$$ questions that can be found in other threads/forums!!! You would know because your engine would not run anymore and would be TOAST!!!!!

WASTED I AM!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #166
n8RPS13
Zilvia FREAK!

This thread has been trashed by Newbs again!!! Mods please close this so we can start over!

WASTED I AM!
Old 03-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #167
s14tan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
s14tan has made poor choicess14tan has made poor choicess14tan has made poor choicess14tan has made poor choicess14tan has made poor choicess14tan has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8RPS13 View Post
This thread has been trashed by Newbs again!!! Mods please close this so we can start over!

QFT.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #168
n8RPS13
Zilvia FREAK!

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttime240driver View Post
Im new to this website and forum so im not sure if im posting in the right place so please excuse my mistake.

I have and '89 240sx with the ka motor. I just bought it 3 days ago and it makes this pinging noise when i accelerate. I had to get on the interstate to get to work this morning and when i got up to about 65 mph it wouldnt go any faster and the more throttle i gave it the more power i would lose. The car threw some pretty thick white smoke out the exhaust and died. Now when i turn it over all it does is whine.. It sounds like its not turning the cam or the valves but im not sure. Im not very familiar with imports but im learning. Could it be the timing chain? And if so what else gets damaged when that happens? Bent valves?

Please HELP!!!
First and foremost that motor is toast!!! Why didnt you check for compression and oil level when you bought it? These are old cars which arent always taken care of. Secondly..........

WTF!!!!! do you people not understand about this being a KADET thread! AGAIN got to the tech forums and ask away or do some searching on your own.

WASTED I AM!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #169
n8RPS13
Zilvia FREAK!

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14tan View Post
qft.
i second this!!!!

WASTED I AM!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:36 AM   #170
blankman1991
Leaky Injector

blankman1991 is an unknown quantity at this point
im looking to build my ka-t sad to say im new at this so i have my ka motor fuel pump and injectors and im lost with what kinda ecu and maf and turbo and turbo kit and down pipe etc that i need any ideas?
blankman1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:00 PM   #171
whitefedorafilms
Zilvia Member

whitefedorafilms is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankman1991 View Post
im looking to build my ka-t sad to say im new at this so i have my ka motor fuel pump and injectors and im lost with what kinda ecu and maf and turbo and turbo kit and down pipe etc that i need any ideas?

Just read the first page. it covers everything you need to know. just to cover the basics... Z32 tuned MAF, TURBO AND INJECTORS DEPENDS ON THE HP, tons of manifold options, just dont trust ebay too much, if its not a walbro you'll probably kill your fuel pump in no time from starving it. if going for big power such as 300+ your gonna want to do the rods, pistons, new gaskets, bearings, clean your block to perfection, and make sure you can put it back together if you take it apart. if you already have running car i would work on its handling before getting into the power issues. Anyways just go to the first page of this thread. but also before you post again read the new members thread so you dont embarass yourself.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #172
M4J0R T0M
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
M4J0R T0M is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Alright guys, need a little advice here. I'm building a KA-t and I've nearly got all my parts together, just have a couple questions about the rest of what I need. I'm going for a mild (low-mid 200's) build using mostly stock SR parts. I'm on a pretty tight budget also so keep that in mind.

Here's what I have so far:
XS Power tubular bottom mount
Fresh T25
XS Power elbow
Blitz 3" dp
2.5" custom exhaust, I know 3' would be better but this one was basically free
24x12x3 eBay FMIC with a bunch of misc piping
stock maf
Apexi AFC Neo
SR 370's
Exedy stage 1 clutch

Things I still need:
Wideband -- What do you guys suggest? LC-1?
Turbo oil and coolant lines -- Where's the best place to get them and how to mount them? I know I have to weld a bung in the pan, but what about coolant supply and drain and oil feed.
Gaskets and studs, will autozone parts be ok for this?
BOV, thinking about getting a cheapy eBay bov.
Walbro pump - probably just get it on ebay.
Would I benefit at all from getting a SR maf? Will it support any more hp than my stock S14 maf?

I'm going to be running all this on a stock KA with about 165k on the clock. It's got good compression across the board and it feels pretty strong and healthy. I want to keep it that way, so I'm gonna keep it under 300whp until I can afford the AMS rebuild kit. Then I'll probably step up to a T3 and turn up the boost.
M4J0R T0M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:50 PM   #173
n8RPS13
Zilvia FREAK!

Finally someone with a LEGIT KA-T question! LLooks like you are well on your way man! As far as the oil and coolant lines its best to have a legitimate shop to weld in your oil pan line and as far as the rest thats just up to you as far as your setup goes. Sorry I dont really have a good answer for that. You should definately pull your head and replace the head gasket with a Cometic and use ARP head studs and while you are in there might as well replace the timing chain, get a complete kit sprockets and all. I believe cimotorsports.net has some decentely priced timing kits. EGay BOV will work as well. If your going to change the MAF might as well step up to Z32 or Q45 maybe even a Cobra. JWT has a lot of helpful info on their site as well. Im using a lot of their stuff and suggestions as they have been in the Nissan game for awhile! GL man!

WASTED I AM!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #174
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Walperstyle
^you don't need a Cometic head gasket. Many guys with high horsepower are running a Felpro. I will be too my first few times.

Reason: If your head and block have been decked and mirrored to each other, then it doesn't matter what you have; so save the money if you can.

ECU tune is most important, and for everyone doing any type of performance, Get a good wideband o2, and stand alone like AEM, Motec, Vipec, Haltec. Sure it costs, but at least you know everything going on in your engine.

Also, if you have the resources, change over to a MAP sensor instead of MAF. Maf's are kinda stupid at the best of times. I would also never trust my engine to an Unknown Ebay BOV or external Wastegate. Thats just me.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #175
-LSD-

-LSD- is an unknown quantity at this point
Have a little question.
Im almost done with my turbo kit.
this is what i have so far

built ka with 2k miles on it
Oem head gasket
ARP hardwear
Emance ecu (all the rumors...what do you think?)
550s (power enterprise)
z32 maf
t25 turbo (will be water cooled) shooting for 10 psi
JGS oil lines
XS power boost controller with 2 settings.
and asome random stuff

ok what im missing is manifold..i was looking at isis version 2 if im not mistaking...its 200 bucks and seems like people pretty happy with it.
Intercooler, ill run whatever ill find cheap, not planning to run BOV, didnt have it on my previous sr's, everything seems to be fine, what do you think?
FPR...what will you recomend for decent price? im a student = broke as fuck
Also previous owner claims that there is walbro 255 on the car...idk, cant trust anyone. is there a way to tell walbro from stock? or should i just buy new one and sell the one i have right now?
I will be using stock sr elbow and downpipe, ive heard there shouldnt be any problems with that, i would love to confirm it...any1 using this setup?
Want to discuss OEM headgasket...ive been talking to people who into drag racing, who building high boost (mostly honda engines), they all use oem headgaskets, they saying if anything goes wrong and there is detonation or preignition hg will act as a blow of valve and will let access pressure into coolant, that way its gonna save the motor from rebuilt, but hg wearing out pretty fast. Im not planning to go over 300hp, but i still preferred extra protection, whats your opinion? what do you use?

Also im very curious about blow through set up, it looks like thats what i will be doing, previous owner of the ecu said he was using blow through and didnt have any problems, i was trying to find any info on it...some people saying its good, some people saying its dumb...but ive seeing a lot of people using them on ka-t. I want to hear your thoughts and opinion on this.

thanks for your suggestions in advance.

p.s. looks like this thread is dying, thats very sad...we need more ka-t in 240 community
-LSD- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #176
steezywonders

steezywonders is an unknown quantity at this point
i was wondering if anyone know if ka24et/ka24det are smog legal in california???
steezywonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #177
JuniorsSr
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
JuniorsSr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have s14 turbo/manifold/370 injectors/ front mount/piping/255 walbro/z32 mafs still need safc/2 this is for kade I'm only planning on 230-250 rwhp do I need to change head gasket or will it hold up? Thanks
JuniorsSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #178
venom2034
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
venom2034 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
once everything is said and done and i have my awesome ka-t setup put together, what are some basic guide lines for tuning the motor. how do i go about this? i cant really find good info on steps to tuning the car. I find plenty on the components but when it comes to tuning there isint much.
venom2034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #179
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
NoPistons! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
KA-T.org - The Home of 1000+ whp/7 sec Turbo KA's.

Depends on what you are tuning with. PFC, MSNS, AEM, EMU, MOTEC, ROM, Seat of your pants safc/wideband....etc......
Old 10-02-2011, 06:56 AM   #180
-LSD-

-LSD- is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by steezywonders View Post
i was wondering if anyone know if ka24et/ka24det are smog legal in california???
nope
-LSD- is offline   Reply With Quote