Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
autobahNESSA
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
autobahNESSA is close to perfectionautobahNESSA is close to perfectionautobahNESSA is close to perfectionautobahNESSA is close to perfectionautobahNESSA is close to perfectionautobahNESSA is close to perfectionautobahNESSA is close to perfectionautobahNESSA is close to perfectionautobahNESSA is close to perfectionautobahNESSA is close to perfectionautobahNESSA is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to autobahNESSA
Streets of Willow - SpeedTrialUSA event - May 24, 25 2008

This one's a cheap one, folks. $130/day or $210/both days.

So far, attendees from Zilvia are (for Saturday, May 24):

1. Steve S14 (s13 hatch)
2. autobahNESSA (s14 zenki)
3. sr20detman (s13 coupe)
4. racepar1
5. driftage240
6. Ty
7. Alex
8. Paul - Maybe?
9. UNITEDMASTER
10. Porkybmx - (badass)
11. Pearl - (S14 zenki)

Anyone else planning to go to this one? It'd be cool to see more than us 4 from Zilvia out there.

Link: http://www.speedtrialusa.com/index1.html

WEATHER UPDATE***
Saturday: 70° F | 52° F
Sunday: 75° F | 55° F

Last edited by autobahNESSA; 05-20-2008 at 05:38 PM..
autobahNESSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
kenshinS14sks
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
kenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i've wanted to go to a track day for so long but i was always weary of going ... didn't know how many tires would be enough, if the engine would withstand heat with stock thermostat, etc etc etc. . . any track day beginner's tips?
Old 05-05-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
autobahNESSA
Zilvia FREAK!

autobahNESSA is close to perfectionautobahNESSA is close to perfectionautobahNESSA is close to perfectionautobahNESSA is close to perfectionautobahNESSA is close to perfectionautobahNESSA is close to perfectionautobahNESSA is close to perfectionautobahNESSA is close to perfectionautobahNESSA is close to perfectionautobahNESSA is close to perfectionautobahNESSA is close to perfection
I don't think you should worry too much about tires. As long as you have enough tread that passes the organization's minimum requirement you are good to go and even drive home on them and daily drive on them etc (it's what I have done and what all the other people listed above has done). Not to say that it isn't smart to pack along some backup tires or wheels.

As for you being weary about whether or not your motor can handle the heat, if your motor is reliable when you daily drive it, then I would say you also have nothing to worry about also. It's always a risk when you take out a car to the track so just keep your eye out on warning signs that something is wrong. Most of the people I go with go on a completely stock motor. The people who had problems with overheating were the ones that also had the same problems when they were daily driving it. I go on a completely stock motor and it's been holding up great time and time again.

As for tips...don't cheap out on a helmet! A lot of people cheap out on their helmet and I don't understand why anyone would cheap out on protecting their one and only head. Also, don't be afraid to sign up for beginners and take your time to learn the track. Too many people go to the track afraid that they're going to "suck" or whatever so they drive like an idiot by driving way above their skill level, causing some major accidents. Go to the track to learn and don't be afraid to ask instructors or others for help and advice. Just make sure to stay within your own comfort level and don't push it.

I hope you can come!!
Old 05-05-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
MomentumGT
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (0)
MomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinS14sks View Post
i've wanted to go to a track day for so long but i was always weary of going ... didn't know how many tires would be enough, if the engine would withstand heat with stock thermostat, etc etc etc. . . any track day beginner's tips?
This time of year the temps are still cool so you shouldn't have to much to worry going out there for the first time. If your car isn't heavily moded a koyo rad would keep the temps rock solid, if everything else is working fine. Streets is pretty smooth so you probably don't need to bring a lot of tires so an extra set or pair should do you good. If your tires are brand new more than likely they'll easily last you there and back and the track sessions.

Things to bring:

1. Tools ***
2. Fold out chairs
3. Fold out tent if rollin with entourage
4. Extra fluids oil/water, etc...
5. Sunglasses even if there's no sun its good to protect your eyes from the sand being kicked up by the wind. My eye got badly scratched and got really swollen and killed the rest of my day. Only ran 2 sessions.
6. Food
7. Your own hottie to show off to and its going to be a cock fest

***Just remeber Penske racing isn't out there trying to scout people out to drive for them so stay clear from the Initial D wannabe's on the track (Streets brings a lot of these guys out) and most importantly use your better judgement if you want to drive home in one piece. Hope that helps any.

-Jon

momentumgt.com - "building blocks of speed"
MomentumGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
kenshinS14sks
Zilvia Addict

kenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to behold
where should i go to buy decent helmet at decent price? not much help searching =i
Old 05-05-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
MomentumGT
Zilvia.net Advertiser

MomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
where should i go to buy decent helmet at decent price? not much help searching =i
When buying a helmet I would highly recommend a full face. Not only does it look cooler and you can put more stickers on it it will save your face from biting the steering wheel in a serious impact. Years back a Porsche driver in one of the HPDE groups spun and hit a few cars and shattered his jaw on the steering wheel. If you're pretty, do it for the ladies and protect yourself, if you're ugly, the full face helps to hide that. LOL.

-Jon
ps Bell helmets are really good and relatively cheep. Go to their website and find a few you like and let me know.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
Paul2x
Zilvia Addict

Paul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Paul2x
When's the deadline?

I'd like to make it =)

Professional Driver/ Instructor for Hire
Paul2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
TravisSW
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
TravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TravisSW
Hours are cut at work. 22 instead of 35/40. I'm missing 300-400 bucks out of my paycheck.

And I have to take care of some Lojack stuff and I have 700$ insurance bill coming up soon. grr.

Don't have the 130 for the event and 200+ for a helmet.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
kenshinS14sks
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomentumGT View Post
When buying a helmet I would highly recommend a full face. Not only does it look cooler and you can put more stickers on it it will save your face from biting the steering wheel in a serious impact. Years back a Porsche driver in one of the HPDE groups spun and hit a few cars and shattered his jaw on the steering wheel. If you're pretty, do it for the ladies and protect yourself, if you're ugly, the full face helps to hide that. LOL.

-Jon
ps Bell helmets are really good and relatively cheep. Go to their website and find a few you like and let me know.
if you can give a fellow zilvia member a hook up i'll definitely hit you up on it within the next couple months
Old 05-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #10
MomentumGT
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
if you can give a fellow zilvia member a hook up i'll definitely hit you up on it within the next couple months
Just pm me when you're ready and I'll see what I can do for ya.

-Jon

Old 05-05-2008, 04:16 PM   #11
S14SwimShark105
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
S14SwimShark105 is making a name for him/her selfS14SwimShark105 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to S14SwimShark105
I think I am the only one going to the May 11th track event through speedventures, how do you guys like speedtrialsusa? is everything run pretty smoothly? how long is each session and how many session do you usually get?

I would like to join but I have work that day so that sucks, but got to make money to go to future track events! haha
Old 05-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #12
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
that's cheap. redline, tcra, and speedventures usually charge $300. any idea if they time the laps and lease transponders? If so, I'm sold.
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:42 PM   #13
NismoB13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
NismoB13 is close to perfectionNismoB13 is close to perfectionNismoB13 is close to perfectionNismoB13 is close to perfectionNismoB13 is close to perfectionNismoB13 is close to perfectionNismoB13 is close to perfectionNismoB13 is close to perfectionNismoB13 is close to perfectionNismoB13 is close to perfectionNismoB13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If I remember correctly, Speed trial USA does not allow passengers. Read the rules and regulations.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:48 PM   #14
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomentumGT View Post

Things to bring:

1. Tools ***
2. Fold out chairs
3. Fold out tent if rollin with entourage
4. Extra fluids oil/water, etc...
5. Sunglasses even if there's no sun its good to protect your eyes from the sand being kicked up by the wind. My eye got badly scratched and got really swollen and killed the rest of my day. Only ran 2 sessions.
6. Food
7. Your own hottie to show off to and its going to be a cock fest

-Jon
lol, bring out the bbq and beer too while you're at it :P j/k

what I would recomend is
-extra quart or more of engine oil
-tire pressure guage
-masking tape to cover up lower bumper, skirts, headlights/fogs from gravel.
-suntan
-good book or some other form of entertainment to kill time between runs

wsir actually has decent places to eat. theres the golden cantina which has above average mexican, some bar along the way w/ above average burgers. also mc'd's, taco bell, and some other stuff if you just want to pick up fast food. I don't recommend the WSIR cafeteria. it's kinda expensive for the quality and quantity you get.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #15
MomentumGT
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmcdon View Post
lol, bring out the bbq and beer too while you're at it :P j/k
No beer but I usually have steaks or carne asada when I have the grill out, which is often. Thats how we're remembered at the track not from our racing accomplishements. "Oh Momentum GT...the guys with the tons of bbq and rib eye steaks? I know them." LOL.

-Jon

Old 05-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #16
gripstr
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
gripstr is close to perfectiongripstr is close to perfectiongripstr is close to perfectiongripstr is close to perfectiongripstr is close to perfectiongripstr is close to perfectiongripstr is close to perfectiongripstr is close to perfectiongripstr is close to perfectiongripstr is close to perfectiongripstr is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Does the $140 price include transponder?
Old 05-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #17
autobahNESSA
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2x View Post
When's the deadline?

I'd like to make it =)

Ahh, Paul!! It would be sick if we finally all got to go to the track together haha. It's filling up quick, I was originally going to go Sunday but I procrastinated too long and intermediate was all filled. Saturday seems to be 75% filled right now. Hope you go!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14SwimShark105 View Post
I think I am the only one going to the May 11th track event through speedventures, how do you guys like speedtrialsusa? is everything run pretty smoothly? how long is each session and how many session do you usually get?

I would like to join but I have work that day so that sucks, but got to make money to go to future track events! haha
I really wanted to go to the event with speedventures but they are too pricey for my budget right now. I no longer have beef with running events with stusa because they do try their best to make everything run smooth and safe. Usually, I get about 5-6 sessions every track event.

Quote:
that's cheap. redline, tcra, and speedventures usually charge $300. any idea if they time the laps and lease transponders? If so, I'm sold.
Last time they had transponders for lease when I went to big willow at wsir. I don't know if they'll have them again this time around, I hope so though!
Old 05-05-2008, 08:24 PM   #18
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

do you remember how much they leased them for? hopefully not more than 20 bucks a day. I really need to purchase a transponder at this rate.

anyhow, for those that are going, see you guys at the track. prob won't bring my s14, but i'll be bringing driving the lancer or a civic sedan.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #19
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
bla bla bla david Hamburg is wacko lol
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:37 PM   #20
azndummie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (14)
azndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
ah dammit prep work time.........
Old 05-06-2008, 12:30 AM   #21
S14SwimShark105
Zilvia Junkie

S14SwimShark105 is making a name for him/her selfS14SwimShark105 is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to S14SwimShark105
Dang speedtrials dont allow passengers? that sucks! But the event is pretty damn cheap compared to every other event out there now days. My goal from now on is to attend at least 1 track event every month!

But if you see a crazy loud, full caged, no body panels, car out there tell him Randall said whats up haha

Grip Driving for life!
Old 05-06-2008, 12:34 AM   #22
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
OMG I WANT TO GO THIS!!! 2 days of full on grip would be sick!

If I can come up with the money I'm there

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:34 AM   #23
articdragon192
Post Whore!

articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
Maybe Nessa, just maybe, lol.

EDIT: OPPP, Intermediate full. Next time ;D

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Can't find what you're looking for?
Here you go.
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:57 AM   #24
autobahNESSA
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
do you remember how much they leased them for? hopefully not more than 20 bucks a day. I really need to purchase a transponder at this rate.

anyhow, for those that are going, see you guys at the track. prob won't bring my s14, but i'll be bringing driving the lancer or a civic sedan.
IIRC, the transponder was upwards of $50. Oh yeah, it was provided by MaxQData ( http://www.maxqdata.com/DriverImprovement.htm ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by articdragon192 View Post
Maybe Nessa, just maybe, lol.

EDIT: OPPP, Intermediate full. Next time ;D
What are you talkin about foooo, Sunday's full, not Saturday (the day we're going)!!! SO SIGN UP!
Old 05-06-2008, 12:58 AM   #25
articdragon192
Post Whore!

articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Ugh, Nessa, don't tempt me, lol.

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Here you go.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:00 AM   #26
autobahNESSA
Zilvia FREAK!

Quit playing with my heart!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 01:01 AM   #27
articdragon192
Post Whore!

EDIT: Stupid youtube.

Hahaha. I just need a few things before making the jump into the event. Stupid blow by.

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Here you go.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:37 AM   #28
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

beginner grp sunday is open, but that would be absolute torture if there's 25 track noobs on at the same time.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:11 AM   #29
autobahNESSA
Zilvia FREAK!

The beginners group doesn't really have much room for noobs to eff up on. It's pretty much strict training alllll day with the instructors.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #30
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Its not so much about the beginners messing up, it's just that they typically drive slower. That, and when you have 25 car on a smaller track like Streets at the same time, there's a lot higher likelihood with traffic piling up more often. which in turn leads to just following slow cars around instead of good seat time. It happens to almost every event I've been to, even when there's considerably less than 25 cars on track.