Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
ClintFiske

Trader Rating: (1)
ClintFiske is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Stripped idler gear bolt

Hello, my name is Clint.
I have a ka24de in my s14.
I am not the original owner of the vehicle.

The problem
The bolt that holds the cam chain idler gear in place is stripped out in the head. I am not sure if the correct bolt was used, or if the thread was just stripped.

Second problem
I have called the dealer and they somehow don't have the dimensions of the bolt, the only place I have heard of one being is in North Carolina, and I am in Texas. I need the metric measurements of this bolt.
I am basically at a stand still, and my car is apart in the garage right now.
The machine shop says they don't want to helicoil it unless we know for sure we have the correct bolt. If we don't have the right bolt, it's never going to be as reliable and could cause a lot of damage.

I have checked google and I have called the dealers. My car has been apart for about 2 weeks now because of this. So I finally came here. I'm not trying to be lazy, I've done my research. Also being that this is one of my first posts, I hope this is in the right section, if not.. I apologize.
ClintFiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
TheWolf
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
TheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
that bolt will be a queer thread. It will not be a common helicoil size.

Any machine shop can measure a metric bolt. Give them the bolt and first you measure the size of it with a set of calipers, then you measure the teeth using a little fold out tool.

Find the thread out and then find your options. Either swap the head or you may want to get a keensert installed and staked into place.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
oni jake
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
oni jake is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Shouldn't you be able to tap and die and replace with a bigger bolt? The way I'm picturing it, that seems to be the easiest/cheapest way
oni jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
ClintFiske

@TheWolf, yeah it seems simple. That's exactly what I thought. Except because the thread is stripped, we're not even sure if its the right bolt, and that may be why it's stripped in the first place. Or it could be the correct bolt, and they torqued it wrong.

basically I need to figure out the actual bolt that's meant for it. I can't find that information anywhere for some reason and the dealers can't either, so they say.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:55 AM   #5
ClintFiske

yeah it seems simple. That's exactly what I thought. Except because the thread is stripped, we're not even sure if its the right bolt, and that may be why it's stripped in the first place. Or it could be the correct bolt, and they torqued it wrong.

basically I need to figure out the actual bolt that's meant for it. I can't find that information anywhere for some reason and the dealers can't either, so they say.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
TheWolf
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
TheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintFiske View Post
@TheWolf, yeah it seems simple. That's exactly what I thought. Except because the thread is stripped, we're not even sure if its the right bolt, and that may be why it's stripped in the first place. Or it could be the correct bolt, and they torqued it wrong.

Instead of reading on the internet what size it is, I would have the correct bolt in hand because if I tell you it's 12x0.75 and it's really 12x1 then you're going to have the wrong hole. Either order the correct bolt from nissan or goto a local junkyard and pull one. Or find someone local who's got a ka24de head off their motor and will let you check the bolt you have vs their head.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
ClintFiske

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolf View Post
Instead of reading on the internet what size it is, I would have the correct bolt in hand because if I tell you it's 12x0.75 and it's really 12x1 then you're going to have the wrong hole. Either order the correct bolt from nissan or goto a local junkyard and pull one. Or find someone local who's got a ka24de head off their motor and will let you check the bolt you have vs their head.
Good idea. Yeah I don't know anyone who has a ka24de. And Junk yards around here are exactly that, JUNK. I called nissan, like 6 different dealers, and they all said they dont have their dealer credit card or whatever to purchase or order things on saturdays, what a bunch of BS. They found the bolt though but they have to order it from another state. I can't order it directly. So this is going to cost me much more than a simple bolt should cost. If it's going to get my car back together it's worth it though. Just extremely frustrating. So basically all I have left to do is stop by nissan on monday and have them order it for me, and then go get the head helicoiled to fit the bolt once I get it.

Thanks for the replies though guys, this one sorted itself out after all. I was just extremely annoyed by this whole thing. I appreciate the help though. :]