Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
xfactor78

Trader Rating: (0)
xfactor78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to xfactor78
General Questions on Z32

hey guys,

Fresh meat here. Anyways I'm in love with the Z32/300ZX. I've always been really found of them, plus you can't beat their exhaust note! Anyways, I have a few questions about picking and choosing a Z32 and as well as owning one.

1. What should you look out for when looking at Z32s (any common problems or anything)
2. How are these as daily drivers?
3. How are these on gas, what kind of MPG are you getting? (TT/Non-Turbo)
4. What are the common known issues on Z32s
5. How is the reliability on these?
6. In general for you owners, how would you rate your experience with owning these? They look and sound awesome but I've heard some say they're a pleasure to own and other say it's a nightmare!

Anyways, thanks for getting back to me on this, I'm really hoping to pick up a Z32 in the next year or so, just wanted to research a bit first.

Thanks, Brendan
xfactor78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
SeanK

Trader Rating: (1)
SeanK is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Here's an excellent overview of the Z32. First posted on 05. He has continually revised it. Last updated 02/09. Read it first. I'll note that my answers will deal with my experience with a TT. The NA has similarities but not totally the same.

Other References:
twinturbo.net (has NA info here as well)
300zxclub.com
zcar.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor78 View Post
1. What should you look out for when looking at Z32s (any common problems or anything)
When was the timing belt changed last? Broken timing belt = mucho $$$
If it hasn't been done or unknown (required every 60K or some say 7-10 years), expect to drop $500-$600 on maintenance before you drive it ANY FARTHER than your garage.
Do the turbos smoke on startup? On Deceleration?
Is the idle erratic or does it hunt? (not a hard problem to fix but could mean maintenance has not been kept up)
Compression test.
Detailed maintenance records.
My tip: by the best maintained Z32 you can afford.

Quote:
I don't DD mine, so hard for me to say. Some people do.

Quote:
Expect at best 24mpg. At Best. My TT does 18-20mpg under normal driving. Will dip under 16mpg with spirited driving. Premium gas REQUIRED.

Quote:
Keep up on the maintenance. Parts aren't necessarily cheap. Lots of parts require doubles for left and right sides. A stock TT engine bay is a labyrinth of hoses, wires and connectors. IF those hoses, wires and connectors haven't been replaced in the car's 13-20 year lifespan, the first replacement is not a fun task. Once you own it for a while and simplify the engine bay, working on it becomes much easier.

Quote:
Reliability is fine, as long as you stick with the oil changes, maintenance schedules and know the limitations while beating on it. Treat your Fairlady nice and she will reward you. I hate to sound generic with this answer, but this has been my experience. Don't floor it 3 min after starting up. Don't wail on the turbos then shut down hot.

Quote:
6. In general for you owners, how would you rate your experience with owning these? They look and sound awesome but I've heard some say they're a pleasure to own and other say it's a nightmare!
I have gone through love/hate cycles with mine but I've been happy with her. Overall I've worked to enjoy the time I've had with my Z32.
Your experience will depend on your personal preferences, budget and mechanical aptitude. If you like working on cars, and have the patience for it, I don't see a problem with ownership.

I don't want to downplay the NA version. With the right suspension work, they are every bit as respectable as the TT's in the twisties. The NA's don't have such a cluttered engine bay either, and are usually a bit cheaper to maintain. (no turbos or related hardware)
SeanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
bomp drop
Leaky Injector

bomp drop is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to bomp drop
I had a Z32 when i was younger and just bought another one today. Its an NA and i'll be daily driving it. My last one had a few electrical bugs so if you go look at one CHECK EVERYTHING. Check the lights and make sure every power option works.
bomp drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
Durty_Mo

Durty_Mo is an unknown quantity at this point
jdm blinkers

where can i find some help on installing my jdm fender marker lights on my z32?

I plan on doing it myself with some friends this week after they arrive... i just want to make sure i know what im doing...

any help would be fantastic.

thanks
Durty_Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:19 AM   #5
gnozahs
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
gnozahs is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durty_Mo View Post
where can i find some help on installing my jdm fender marker lights on my z32?

I plan on doing it myself with some friends this week after they arrive... i just want to make sure i know what im doing...

any help would be fantastic.

thanks
I think it's basically cut the fender and make sure you cut them at the same height and spot that the JDM 300ZX has em at.
gnozahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #6
txq45

txq45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to txq45
Correct on installing fender markers
txq45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:06 AM   #7
Stadsport

Stadsport is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Stadsport Send a message via MSN to Stadsport
Quote:
hey guys,

Fresh meat here. Anyways I'm in love with the Z32/300ZX. I've always been really found of them, plus you can't beat their exhaust note! Anyways, I have a few questions about picking and choosing a Z32 and as well as owning one.

Anyways, thanks for getting back to me on this, I'm really hoping to pick up a Z32 in the next year or so, just wanted to research a bit first.

Thanks, Brendan
1. Misaligned body panels indicating an accident, rust, any ticking, smoking, hesitation, other mysterious driveability issues.
2. Great, as long as you keep up on the maintenance.
3. I get pretty poor mileage (like 16mpg) but my car is running awfully rich right now. They should get about 20-24mpg if you're nice to it.
4. Wheels put on backwards, failed fuel injectors (ethanol in our fuel takes them out a lot), lifter tick, rough/unstable idle.
5. Keep up on your scheduled maintenance and use genuine parts and it will treat you well. Maintenance for Z32s can be expensive, but it's definitely worth it.
6. They're difficult to work on and expensive to own and maintain, but they look great, they're extremely fun to drive, and rewarding to own.
Stadsport is offline   Reply With Quote