Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #1591
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
i removed it.

Single / pressure tank bypass
Old 02-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #1592
turbo-2ns
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
turbo-2ns is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
for you auto guys what tranny cross member did you use

should have my motor buy the end of the week
already have xcessive mount brackets and new Circuit Sports Engine Mount Set
just have to get a few things to freshen the motor up and a single kit and a EMS

fyi every thing bought so far is from the money i got so far from my sr20 part out so no money out of pocket YET lol
turbo-2ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #1593
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo-2ns View Post
for you auto guys what tranny cross member did you use

should have my motor buy the end of the week
already have xcessive mount brackets and new Circuit Sports Engine Mount Set
just have to get a few things to freshen the motor up and a single kit and a EMS

fyi every thing bought so far is from the money i got so far from my sr20 part out so no money out of pocket YET lol
I used the crossmember from the Tech2 swap kit, i'm assume it's there "R154" stlye one.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #1594
RaNMaN
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
RaNMaN is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG BOOSTED View Post
Ok. Thank you. Can you explain your set up to me. you can post it here or PM me.
that's the set up that i was daily driving in 2005 for a year before i switched to a 67mm single turbo. it's kind of hard to believe that it's been that long.

the original swap was done at Mainstream Performance by TurboDave Fabrications in GA. he did an excellent job with the fabrication but i was never completely happy with the wiring and some other items. for example i paid for ARP flywheel bolts and found out later that they reused stock flywheel bolts. i wanted a sprung disc clutch and they used a solid disc etc. at the time i did not have a garage of my own to work on the car so i was sort of stuck looking for a competent shop.

what do you want to know? ever since i had a car stolen i've been much more cautious about where i post the details of my set up and to who, i hope you understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post
@Ranman....more details plz. Also, I may be wrong but it doesnt look like you notched your rad support....am I wrong? What motor mounts and brackets? Thanx
TDF aluminum motor and transmission mounts and aluminum driveshaft. you're right i have not had to notch my radiator support but the fans were really close to the water pump when i switch to dual flex-a-lite fans. i use a koyo radiator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG BOOSTED View Post
I noticed that too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Phonso View Post
Me three. He used a pusher fan instead.
when this picture was taken i had two puller fans on the back and one big pusher on the front. the ground wiring for the fans was not big enough for the amperage and eventually a ground wire got pretty fried. i've rewired the entire car and relocated the underhood fuse/relay box to the trunk with the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS14 View Post
I went with the chasebays radiator with fans.i was told that would be good enough..hopefully.
i do not have first hand experience with chasebays products but i have heard lots of good things about them. i think you'll be okay using their products.
RaNMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #1595
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
That would make sense. Unfortunately no pusher fans for me as I will be installing the AC components on my setup. The TDF mounts looked like they place the motor in a great location.

Last edited by 2muchboost; 02-19-2013 at 12:18 PM..
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #1596
RaNMaN
Zilvia Member

Quote:
That would make sense. Unfortunately no pusher fans for me as I will be installing the AC components on my setup. The TDF mounts looked like the place the motor in a great location.
i removed the pusher fan a long time ago and reinstalled the a/c components as well, the car spends 95% of it's time on the street.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #1597
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

If you dont mind sharing, what components did you use for the AC system? I am currently looking at a couple of options including getting custom lines made up against the firewall to the intake side of the head then underneath the intake mani to the AC compressor.

The more details the better And I am looking to keep AC for the same reason. This car will be on the road 95% of the time so any "comfort' that I can keep would be great. Especially when my girl sits in the car and says "Your car is sooooo HOT"
Old 02-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #1598
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
HAS anyone installed xcessive mounts + nismo s13 engine mounts? Any pics of what pins were grinded off?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #1599
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I just picked up the Xcessive brackets and trans cross member yesterday. It was designed to work with any s13 mounts.

I had their mounts already for the s13sr, so I didn't have to change those haha.

I'm going VVT-i 1J
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #1600
JohanM
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
JohanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG MiKE86 View Post
HAS anyone installed xcessive mounts + nismo s13 engine mounts? Any pics of what pins were grinded off?
i think the pins that go against the engine brackets have to be grind off on the nismo mounts.
JohanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #1601
afracer

Trader Rating: (0)
afracer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
If you dont mind sharing, what components did you use for the AC system? I am currently looking at a couple of options including getting custom lines made up against the firewall to the intake side of the head then underneath the intake mani to the AC compressor.

The more details the better And I am looking to keep AC for the same reason. This car will be on the road 95% of the time so any "comfort' that I can keep would be great. Especially when my girl sits in the car and says "Your car is sooooo HOT"
Stock KA24 high pressure hose, MX83 Cressida top hat on the compressor and Cressida low side hose on compressor...results in only needing 1 custom hose from the large A/C port on the firewall to mate to the Cressida A/C hose, everything else is stock 240SX stuff, including condenser and drier. Also, used two 8" Zirgo pusher fans in front of the condenser wired to the stock condenser fan wires that I can also manually turn on. This will help cooling the engine a little, which is ALWAYS needed with a 2JZ, but is mostly to keep the condenser cool on hot days sitting in traffic...especially since I now have a trans cooler and intercooler blocking airflow up.
afracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #1602
RaNMaN
Zilvia Member

Quote:

mine is not currently connected but I will be using the 240 condenser, dryer, and evaporator along with a 2jz compressor all connected using custom a/c lines. i need to have my system cleaned out and charged. i'm going to do it as soon as i get the new transmission in and squared away.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #1603
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

@AFRACER....thanks man that info helps a lot! Now that avoids having custom lines made for the entire setup and saves me some cash. Yeah I was also thinking about running small pusher fans in front of the condenser to keep them running while stuck in NY traffic. Luckily for me the weather here is about 30 degrees (but feels like <10) so I have a little while to get the AC system figured out. Much appreicated!

@Ranman....makes sense.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #1604
RickS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
RickS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Upper radiator hose

s13 1jz - YouTube

Sorry but I'm doing this off my phone don't know how to load a pic.thought this would be helpful maybe. Upper radiator hose with ka radiator jz swap.I asked the person who posted the video for a part #. The part number is 90444475 it's a gm part number. Just google it. I think it looks pretty good.
RickS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #1605
Syncade
Zilvia FREAK!

Syncade is making his/her stupidity well-knownSyncade is making his/her stupidity well-knownSyncade is making his/her stupidity well-knownSyncade is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via ICQ to Syncade
How many of us are running/going-to-run the V160?

I am contemplating just dropping the cash since they don't really go down in value ever.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #1606
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

The V160 is a great trans especially now in comparing the price of a decent R154 and the cost of a V160. I ended up using the R154 because 2 years ago I bought the trans for $300 and it was mint. If I had the extra cash I would go V160 but between the price of a custom Twin Disc and a full rebuild of my R154 I am still at least $1,200 below what a good V160 costs not including any mods that have to be done to the tripod and not including the additional cost of a clutch for the V160.

If you can bite the bullet go for it....more stout transmission for sure.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #1607
afracer

Quote:
@AFRACER....thanks man that info helps a lot! Now that avoids having custom lines made for the entire setup and saves me some cash. Yeah I was also thinking about running small pusher fans in front of the condenser to keep them running while stuck in NY traffic. Luckily for me the weather here is about 30 degrees (but feels like <10) so I have a little while to get the AC system figured out. Much appreicated!

@Ranman....makes sense.
You'll still need 1 small custom line, but it beats having to redo just about everything! Plus, this way if any of the other hoses go bad/fail, you can just replace it with stock parts instead of having yet another custom line made again.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #1608
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

@Entranced.... you were asking about the GE capabilities. I can tell you that after picking many GE owners brains that have high power setups, the secret is in the tune and the standalone/ECU managing your setup. Here is an example of QuickGS (reputable 2j member):

"like the tittle says it's bones stock engine 160k miles on E85.
almost everything was stock on the car except obviously the injectors, fuel pumps and aem v1.
stock fuel rail welded -10an on each side of the rail.
fuelab regulator.
ID1000
stock compression
stock cams
VVti coils and ignitor, stock ge distributor base, no cap no rotor.
dual 044 inline.
Stock R154 with brand new pressure and brand new 1jz flywheel, South bend feramic disc.
3.26 SC430 rear end.
GM 3bar map sensor.
Modified Ebay manifold
4"dp/mp with dual 4" aluminum no mufller no resonator
Big Daddy 4" intercooler with 3" pipings
dual tial Bov.
S366 with .91 divided.

clutch started slipping at 24 lbs"

Outcome: 701rwhp at 24psi on E85. Thats on a compeletly unopened 2JZGE now running on ProEfi which is MUCH Better than the AEM 1. Omar will be switching over to the V160 and seeing where he gets with his new setup. Remember the GE has a 10:1 Compression Ratio which is what the new trend in the Supra world is heading towards, High Comp and E85. Lots of interest from GTE guys looking at High Comp now with the success of some members hitting 900+RWHP with smaller framed turbos such as the 6466.

Its safe to say that the GTE and GE motors were over engineered right from Toyota. Thats just one example but there are many including dudes down south with 200K+ motors still ripping sub 10 second 1/4 miles all day.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #1609
TheeRocZilla

TheeRocZilla is an unknown quantity at this point
WTB s14 w/ 2jz

Hello club members I'm new to these forums and don't quite know how to use it yet but.... I registered onto this forum in hopes that it will lead me to my ultimate goal of purchasing a s14 w/ the 5 or 6 speed 2j swap already completed. i don't now if I'm posting this in the right place but if you guys could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciate. Thank you.
TheeRocZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #1610
cchondro
Zilvia Junkie

cchondro is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeRocZilla View Post
Hello club members I'm new to these forums and don't quite know how to use it yet but.... I registered onto this forum in hopes that it will lead me to my ultimate goal of purchasing a s14 w/ the 5 or 6 speed 2j swap already completed. i don't now if I'm posting this in the right place but if you guys could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciate. Thank you.
Its going to be alot more money than you think it will cost you

__________________________________________________ ___

What slave cylinder did everyone run??
cchondro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #1611
BoostedVR4

BoostedVR4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchondro View Post
Its going to be alot more money than you think it will cost you

__________________________________________________ ___

What slave cylinder did everyone run??
Hahah... +1

With my SR swap, I didn't keep track of anything. This time around I actually made a spreadsheet. Scary.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
BoostedVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #1612
cchondro
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedVR4 View Post
Hahah... +1

With my SR swap, I didn't keep track of anything. This time around I actually made a spreadsheet. Scary.

Not understanding whats funny??
Old 02-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #1613
BoostedVR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchondro View Post
Not understanding whats funny??
The cost. Money. Whatever you're thinking, it's going to cost alot more. Made me laugh.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #1614
cchondro
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedVR4 View Post
The cost. Money. Whatever you're thinking, it's going to cost alot more. Made me laugh.

ahhhhh Gotcha
Old 02-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #1615
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

^^^I would not want my Rad hose to have that S-bend especially with the pressure that the 2J produces within/thru the cooling system. Maybe its the over-analyzing engineer in me but I like pressurized hoses (especially flexible ones) to be as bend free as possible.

And yes it does cost MUCH more to play with a 2J compared to the SR. My fully built SR's total cost was about the cost of my standalone
Old 02-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #1616
TheeRocZilla

S14 2j

How much do you guys think it'll will cost. If you guys could give me a round about price range that would help out a lot.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #1617
BoostedVR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeRocZilla View Post
How much do you guys think it'll will cost. If you guys could give me a round about price range that would help out a lot.
Looking at my spreadsheet.. I'm $5900 in so far. And I've got a fair amount to go, few more large purchases. I've been buying used/scrimping where I can this time around as well.

I also had a lot to start with due to my SR swap.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #1618
Mr. Phonso
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Mr. Phonso is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you are doing manual transmission with r154 + single conversion set aside an extra 3-4g.

Does anyone know if the return line for the stock fuel is 5/16? If not what size is it?
Mr. Phonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #1619
afracer

Yes 5/16" is the stock fuel line and return line sizes. I think I'm probably in around $6-7K, but could've been done cheaper...I rebuilt the engine and went single. If you just bought a good running engine/trans set you could probably bring it in under $5K.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #1620
TheeRocZilla

If you guys know anyone with a s14 2jz completed that wants to sell point them my way. Thanks everyone