Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
corymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to corymaloy
s13 I ran into a guard rail and....

Well I dont know anything about cars, but I want to learn... I ran into a guard rail going about 15mph maybe and bent the "A arm" broke the tie rod end, and cracked the tension rod... I think I have the part names right. I dont even have my own set of tools, but I know someone I can borrow from. The Chilton manual dosent seem very thorough so I thought I would get some other opinions on how to go about fixing this. I'm a poor student so cheaper is better.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #2
Mikey88
Zilvia Member

Mikey88 is on a distinguished road
replacing the parts are the only way and safest way...look around on here or any forum on the for sale threads to see if anyone selling wat you need for a reasonable price...you gotta pay to play man... i did the same thing
Mikey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #3
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

corymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to all
s13

Do you think there may have been more damage? and is there any usefull tips when it comes to fixing these kinds of parts? also, is it possible that the sway bar is bent?
Old 08-11-2008, 02:06 AM   #4
s13boy89
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
s13boy89 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13boy89
nah sway bar is fine just lca, tension rod, outter tie rod. useful tips dont crash
s13boy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:33 AM   #5
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Trader Rating: (1)
MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13boy89 View Post
lca, tension rod, outer tie rod.
It looks like you'll need both an inner tie rod and an outer tie rod. Your LCA obviously needs to be replaced. Also your pictures don't show the tension rod bracket, there's a chance you damaged that as well. After you replace the tie rods you'll need to get an alignment done.

You can probably find everything you need in a local junkyard. Or with some luck, put an ad in the WTB/classifieds section here and someone will have them laying around. Otherwise you can buy new stuff online. Make sure the replacement LCA you get has a good ball joint, the rubber should not be broken and should not be leaking grease.

If you weren't broke, this would be a great time to upgrade your front suspension; S14 LCA, z32 inners, outers, tension rod, power brace, poly bushings.

Oh btw you should download the FSM for the 89-94 240sx. Better diagrams and a lot more information than chiltons. Search around on here and you'll find links to it. GL, you get to learn how to fix your 240sx now.
MELLO*SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:10 AM   #6
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
Quote:
Originally Posted by corymaloy View Post
Do you think there may have been more damage? and is there any usefull tips when it comes to fixing these kinds of parts? also, is it possible that the sway bar is bent?
no tips needed really.

popping out the outer tie rod and the lca ball joint will be the hardest. loosen it up by hitting around it with a metal hammer, then give it a good pop from the top and it should pop out.

there's also a clip on the inner tie rod. just pry the tabs back with a flat head screw driver. then the inner tie rod unscrews out of the rack.

besides that it just unbolting stuff.

it is possible you have more damage. you won't know till you fix everything and then take it to get an alignment. so yeah. fix everything and then take it to get an alignment. if they cant get it in spec then something is still messed up. then come back and ask. good luck.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:15 AM   #7
karl wasabi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
karl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to karl wasabi
You pretty much just got all the tips you can get.

I have a lower control arm/spindle set up for sale and stock tension rods. Let me know if you want them...

http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/20734...mud-flaps.html

Thats the thread.
karl wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:28 AM   #8
SlideWell
Zilvia FREAK!

SlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfection
yup, replace/upgrade(i suggest upgrade to fully adjustable) tie rods and ends, control arms, tc rods. have fun. and while ur doing that might as well upgrade other things if you can afford it.
SlideWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:51 AM   #9
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

s13 thanks

thanks guys, that was some useful info now I just need to figure out where to find that more detailed manual. I will possibly do a follow up and let you know how my first car repair experience went!
Old 08-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #10
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

s13 ok so...

Like I said, I dont know what im doing. But my manual says when I do any suspensions work that I need to lower the car to the ground before tightenining anything... How is that supposed to work, wouldnt it be hard to get to any of the bolts? or maybe impossible?
Old 08-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #11
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
Put the car on ramps front and back. Or use a pit or an alignment lift.

For the front suspension stuff you'll need to replace, you'll be fine if you tighten it with the car in the air.
MELLO*SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #12
JVD
Nissanaholic!

JVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfection
Just tighten shit in the air. You're gonna need an alignment anyways... seeing as how you crashed.
JVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #13
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
eek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
There should be a few people parting out cars in the forsale section. Junkyards are a poor mans best friend. Removing and installing should be staright forward. You shouldn't even really need a manual. Just jack up the car, look at what is broken, follow it and look for the bolts that need to come off to remove the part. Tighten everything in the air, bring it to the shop and get an alignment.
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:11 AM   #14
boske
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
boske is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
A tie rod end puller will make it easier to remove your ball joint and tie rod. You don't have to use one since you are replacing those parts but normally you would use one so you don't mess up the threads with a hammer, they are nice to have either way.
boske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:04 PM   #15
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
1. Take your butt to the junkyard.

2. Find what you know you need, take it off the car, buy it.

3. Go home, take off broken parts from your car, and put parts from junkyard on.

4. Test drive.

5. If the car feels "decent" get an alignment.

6. If after the alignment the car feels funky, you fucked something up.

7. LOL

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:04 PM   #16
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

s13 update

ok so, I got some of the parts in the mail today, but not all of them. I got the tension rod and LCA. I'm wondering what order I should put everything in if any. ALso I am worried about the nuts that go on the tension rod, the LCA was bent around the nuts so I dont think I can get them off, any ideas? My new parts didnt come with any nuts or bolts....

Old 08-13-2008, 02:29 PM   #17
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

eek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud of
Wait till everything comes in, then change it all at once. Makes your life easier. Looking by the picture you also might need a new sway bar endlink. Use a prybar to bend back the metal so you can get to the bolts. If they are damaged or bent, order some new ones from nissan or go to your local hardware store with that new tension rod you have and find the correct size nuts.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:52 PM   #18
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Hit shit with a hammer.

It's an almost 20 year old car, your arms are already broke, hit them to get what you need.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:16 PM   #19
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

s13 uhhh

When I take all this stuff off, do I need to mess with the brakes? or are they suspended with the strut?
Old 08-13-2008, 04:46 PM   #20
prodigys14
Leaky Injector

prodigys14 has made poor choicesprodigys14 has made poor choicesprodigys14 has made poor choicesprodigys14 has made poor choicesprodigys14 has made poor choicesprodigys14 has made poor choices
just leave the brakes alone it shouldnt be in the way... had to cut my lca up to get to the nuts when that happen to me
prodigys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #21
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

Brakes? They are connected to your knuckle/hub. You shouldn't even have to even touch your brakes for the itmes you are removing or replacing. SERIOUSLY, If you looked under the car and followed what is broken everything will become clear. Its not rocket science.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:24 PM   #22
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

s13 Sway Bar

ok so I disconnected the sway bar and the bolt was bent a little, also the rubber bits (bushings?) were a little fucked up, but you guys be the judge on whether or not its reusable.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:30 PM   #23
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

s13 ok soooo

I have unbolted the tension rod and LCA but I cant seem to get the LCA ball joint disconnected from the hub... any ideas?

Old 08-13-2008, 11:47 PM   #24
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hammer ...
Old 08-14-2008, 12:05 AM   #25
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
Quote:
I have unbolted the tension rod and LCA but I cant seem to get the LCA ball joint disconnected from the hub... any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
popping out the outer tie rod and the lca ball joint will be the hardest. loosen it up by hitting around it with a metal hammer, then give it a good pop from the top and it should pop out.
yeaaaaaaah. unbolt the lower shock mount. will give you more room to bang on it.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:09 AM   #26
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
also check your tension rod bracket in the front of the car, those can get banged up pretty good..
Old 08-14-2008, 12:17 AM   #27
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

s13 tension rod bracket

It looks ok to me, but heres a pick. You tell me, im the noobie.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:40 AM   #28
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

s13

Quote:
ok so I disconnected the sway bar and the bolt was bent a little, also the rubber bits (bushings?) were a little fucked up, but you guys be the judge on whether or not its reusable.

So is this usable? I have no clue, the bolt is a little bent.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:40 AM   #29
Propaganda
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
Propaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I don't know where you got that bolt to put in there, but mine has both sides threaded

Both sides are threaded so that you can torque both of the bushings in place. The way I saw it is that you only had it torqued on teh bottom
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:09 PM   #30
wangan_cruiser
kouki man

Trader Rating: (36)
wangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wangan_cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
1. Take your butt to the junkyard.

2. Find what you know you need, take it off the car, buy it.

3. Go home, take off broken parts from your car, and put parts from junkyard on.

4. Test drive.

5. If the car feels "decent" get an alignment.

6. If after the alignment the car feels funky, you fucked something up.

7. LOL

i agree to him....lol
wangan_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote