Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #61
Boost_Fiend
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Boost_Fiend is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
^^ are you sure about that? I have a redtop with a "redtop harness" and am currently using a "fat" black top o2 with a e5 ecu. I did nothing but take out my skinny o2 and put the fat o2 in. do you have a wideband to actually know if there is no difference? because as soon as i put the correct o2 in to match the e5 ecu my afr's were much different, no longer rich all the time, and maintained a stable 14.7 at cruise and 13.5 at idle. maybe your rich problems stem from else where.
Boost_Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #62
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Nicelyphe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Fiend View Post
^^ yeah that thread helped me alot. i've been scratching my head over this issue for over a year. if you want i can send you my old skinny o2. i have no use for it. im pretty sure the the harness's on the s13 sr's are exactly the same. could be wrong tho.

It's cool, I dont wanna mess with either putting a 2nd bung in my elbow, or buying that dam adapter to go from fat to skinny =\. Maybe nassin31spr will sell me that E5
Nicelyphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:28 AM   #63
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicelyphe View Post
Yea I have a buddy locally trying to sell one. Is consult able to give me accurate afr? Are you familiar with consult readings?
no, consult will give you oem narrowband afr data, which is useless if you are not a computer. It can only say "lean" or "rich" as basically it outputs a signal between 0.2 and 0.8V. That is enough to make a fine adjustment, like in a closed loop system used in a car, but no good for tuning. A wideband lambda sensor outputs a 0-5V signal which gives you a very accurate result. It really is very useful, not only for tuning, but it helps see when things go wrong. The problem is you usually need to have a bung welded on your downpipe to install it . I am using a PLX one too, but would have went VEMS if i could at the time i bought it... Nearly all wideband kits use a bosch LSU 4.x sensor. the VEMS system is "better" because it has AFR and EGT on the same gauge, so that is 1 less gauge on the dashboard

Imho you have a wiring problem or a dead sensor. Can you try wiring it yourself ? A narrowband sensor is not that difficult.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #64
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
no, consult will give you oem narrowband afr data, which is useless if you are not a computer. It can only say "lean" or "rich" as basically it outputs a signal between 0.2 and 0.8V. That is enough to make a fine adjustment, like in a closed loop system used in a car, but no good for tuning. A wideband lambda sensor outputs a 0-5V signal which gives you a very accurate result. It really is very useful, not only for tuning, but it helps see when things go wrong. The problem is you usually need to have a bung welded on your downpipe to install it . I am using a PLX one too, but would have went VEMS if i could at the time i bought it... Nearly all wideband kits use a bosch LSU 4.x sensor. the VEMS system is "better" because it has AFR and EGT on the same gauge, so that is 1 less gauge on the dashboard

Imho you have a wiring problem or a dead sensor. Can you try wiring it yourself ? A narrowband sensor is not that difficult.

This weekend I'm going to track back through the harness and check through the wires.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #65
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Checked harness wires, everything looks good, the o2 sensor gets 12v at the plug. I've been driving with the o2 sensor unplugged now and it drives and runs the same way if plugged in or not plugged in. Guessing it's a bad sensor and I'll most likely be going this week to grab one.