Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 11:03 PM   #151
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
tknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Zar- I'll be looking forward to it, and also yes stock SR is most important.

$pending dead pre$ident$ J@CK@TT@CK!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2007, 12:05 AM   #152
blownoffvalve
Leaky Injector

blownoffvalve is an unknown quantity at this point
the sr20 alone will pass N/A but the boost is what doesn't allow it to pass =(
Old 02-20-2007, 12:09 AM   #153
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

tknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfection
...Wow, now I know what you guys that have been at this thing for a while are dealing with...

Old 02-20-2007, 12:10 AM   #154
cmcdougle
Zilvia FREAK!

cmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to cmcdougle
what, his post?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosteddet
lol.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:22 AM   #155
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosteddet
where you trying to say that the fact it has a turbo wont allow it to pass???

wouldnt make sense either
Old 02-20-2007, 10:02 AM   #156
StaticX27
Zilvia Junkie

StaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond repute
Emissions wise, if they were to make emissions standards for a 2L Turbo charged motor, it would not pass those emissions standards. Sure, when you compare a Turbo 2L to an NA 2.4L (KA24DE), the SR20 will have lower emission output, just because of the smaller displacement.

However, we can be shady and just pop the actuator rod off the turbo to pass smog
Old 02-20-2007, 10:07 AM   #157
vvtisupra
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (16)
vvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vvtisupra
I didn't want to read through this stuff but i'd rock a bone stock SR if it was legal... still better than a bone stock KA. I'd probably pay a good extra grand to have it Smog Legal.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #158
cmcdougle
Zilvia FREAK!

cmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticX27
Emissions wise, if they were to make emissions standards for a 2L Turbo charged motor, it would not pass those emissions standards. Sure, when you compare a Turbo 2L to an NA 2.4L (KA24DE), the SR20 will have lower emission output, just because of the smaller displacement.

However, we can be shady and just pop the actuator rod off the turbo to pass smog
but to them, it's better, because we went to a lower polluting motor, so we are polluting less, and it hardly costs them anything.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:15 PM   #159
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

Anyone else got any numbers? LAST CALL!!!

Old 02-20-2007, 07:00 PM   #160
Cashizslick
Zilvia Junkie

Cashizslick can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB
I would also want to look at exceptions for states that have OBDII emissions. My dad just goes to the inspection station and they plug into the OBDII connector. No codes and he is on his way. You may have a problem with 96+ 204sx.

Yeah true . . . those of us with Redtop SR's in our S14's would still fail even if this thing works.

Here is why:

1.) Older motor than car

2.) Tampering w/OBD systems

-> no way around that.

I guess this deal only applies to Non OBD II cars . . .
Old 02-20-2007, 07:10 PM   #161
cmcdougle
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashizslick
I guess this deal only applies to Non OBD II cars . . .
Don't say that!!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 07:16 PM   #162
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

Cash- I dont know about that, hopefully its not so.
Dougle- wow that little smilie says it all

Old 02-21-2007, 07:59 AM   #163
Cashizslick
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Cash- I dont know about that, hopefully its not so.
Well . . in the states, it is illegal to put a motor in your car if it is older than the car itself.

Even if a 1993 KA motor passes smog, its illegal to put it into your 1994 240.

Now, ok, it doesnt REALLY matter because the OBD systems are the same, but the problem becomes magnified when you try to put an OBD I motor in an OBD II car.

OBD II was placed on all cars after 1996 as a requirement by the EPA. It is currently illegal to remove or modify this system. *See Bold Print Below*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA
Sec. 203. (a) The following acts and the causing thereof are
prohibited-

(1) in the case of a manufacturer of new motor vehicles or
new motor vehicle engines for distribution in commerce, the
sale, or the offering for sale, or the introduction, or
delivery for introduction, into commerce, or (in the case of
any person, except as provided by regulation of the Adminis-
trator), the importation into the United States, of any new
motor vehicle or new motor vehicle engine, manufactured
after the effective date of regulations under this part
which are applicable to such vehicle or engine unless such
vehicle or engine is covered by a certificate of conformity
issued (and in effect) under regulations prescribed under
this part or part C in the case of clean-fuel vehicles
(except as provided in subsection (b));
(2)(A) for any person to fail or refuse to permit access
to or copying of records or to fail to make reports or
provide information required under section 208;
(B) for any person to fail or refuse to permit entry,
testing or inspection authorized under section 206(c) or
section 208;
(C) for any person to fail or refuse to perform tests, or
have tests performed as required under section 208;
(D) for any manufacturer to fail to make information
available as provided by regulation under section 202(m)(5);
(3)(A) for any person to remove or render inoperative any
device or element of design installed on or in a motor
vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regula-
tions under this title prior to its sale and delivery to the
ultimate purchaser, or for any person knowingly to remove or
render inoperative any such device or element of design
after such sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser;
or
(B) for any person to manufacture or sell, or offer to
sell, or install, any part or component intended for use
with, or as part of, any motor vehicle or motor vehicle
engine, where a principal effect of the part or component is
to bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any device or
element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or
motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under
this title, and where the person knows or should know that
such part or component is being offered for sale or
installed for such use or put to such use;
Here is the link to this text http://www.epa.gov/air/caa/caa203.txt

Basically, the EPA would have to change their standards to allow SR's to be legal in 1996-1998 S14's for the simple fact that installation of an SR20DET will render the OBDII system (placed on the vehicle by the EPA) useless.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:29 AM   #164
StaticX27
Zilvia Junkie

StaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond repute
According to http://www.obdii.com/connector.html, pre-96 240SX's came equip with OBD II as well

S14's in general may be screwed.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:15 AM   #165
Cashizslick
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
According to http://www.obdii.com/connector.html, pre-96 240SX's came equip with OBD II as well

OBD II emissions testing is not mandatory on pre 1996 cars (in the states that do OBD II testing) . . . thats why i left it out.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #166
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

Cash- I think you're right, I hope you're not!

Old 02-21-2007, 11:32 AM   #167
georgesal
BANNED

Trader Rating: (2)
georgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i would be willing to have my car tested or to do something to help this cause i just got a smog vialation ticket for my sr
Old 02-21-2007, 11:38 AM   #168
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:

He is right and I am surprised you did not know this already(thread starter). If I realized you did not, I would have informed you of that. It basically goes as follows, any engine from a newer model year can be put in with the proper smog equipment. Thats the condensed version. lol
Now yes technically unless you tried to cert a S15 SR or a Neo RB S14 owners are pretty much assed out. As well as the fact that OBDII is much harder to legalize anyways because they plug the ecu directly into the computer and you would need to be OBDII stuff on the engines. Now I have no idea what kind of stuff the Neo RB has or the S15sr has OBDII wise or if even comparable. Though ya S14's are pretty much kinda on the least likely list unfortunately.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
Old 02-21-2007, 12:24 PM   #169
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

Well, I did know that, but wasn't thinking about it, I thought S14 SR's were OBDII

Old 02-21-2007, 12:58 PM   #170
coreansurfer
Zilvia FREAK!

coreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfection
95 s14 is obdI
Old 02-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #171
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
OBDII is a US DOT invention. Japan does not have a similar system.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:59 PM   #172
Cashizslick
Zilvia Junkie

^ werd.

NO SR20DET's in S14's will ever be legal. . .
Old 02-21-2007, 02:26 PM   #173
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

Hmm, well thanks for all the more info I'll see what happens. still doesnt rule out S13's

Old 02-21-2007, 03:12 PM   #174
Cashizslick
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Hmm, well thanks for all the more info I'll see what happens. still doesnt rule out S13's
No prob - trust me, i would LOVE for S14's to be able to pass . .

I have an S14 w/a Redtop.

Best of luck with this search - maybe some day i will be able to have my car registered & insured in the same state I operate it in
Old 02-21-2007, 03:54 PM   #175
cmcdougle
Zilvia FREAK!

Dang, I have an S14 with an RB in it. . . Double negative there.

Can't you build an SR to OBDII specs?
Old 02-21-2007, 04:12 PM   #176
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

Dougle, thats what I was wondering, maybe standalone with an OBDII emulator?

Old 02-21-2007, 04:38 PM   #177
cmcdougle
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Dougle, thats what I was wondering, maybe standalone with an OBDII emulator?
I was thinking of something along those lines. I would be interested in trying to build an ECU or program an ECU (like Megasquirts or something) to OBDII specs. I would imagine that it would need the smog equipment as well.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:21 PM   #178
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just need something to light up the MIL for 15sec while engine isn't running but ON. and to send the clear codes and ESM info.

Need to find a write up on the OBDII com system.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:29 PM   #179
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

Easy, hard and hard.
hmm...

Old 02-21-2007, 09:09 PM   #180
Emp123
Leaky Injector

Emp123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
My bottom line is, is anyone interested in paying around $300-400 to have a certified SR or RB or CA powered 240?
You get this done for $400 and I will suck your dick.

Last edited by Emp123; 02-21-2007 at 09:47 PM..
Closed Thread