Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 03-17-2003, 11:02 AM   #1
MovinUp-1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
MovinUp-1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Orleans autocross 3-16

Drove the 240 at it's first autocross yesterday. The DET kicked ass. No problems with the drivetrain at all, ran like the french run from a fight. The suspension worked very well although was a little too tail happy. We dialed out most of it with sway bar adjustments and lowered the rear ride height to get more toe in. it helped but is not a permanent fix. My co-driver and I killed street mod by over 2 seconds though so the car has a huge amount of potential. I'm going to continue to post on the development of the car here if you guys are interested.
MovinUp-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2003, 11:29 AM   #2
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
sounds awesome! excellent work kickin as in SM. thats usually a very competitive class.

I'm definately interested in what you've done to her. post!
Old 03-17-2003, 12:30 PM   #3
MovinUp-1
Zilvia Member

Drivetrain is a DET redtop. I have a Greddy FMIC, 3" downpipe, test pipe, and Apexi N1 single exhaust. Greddy boost and EGT gauges in a pillar pod. B&M shifter (awesome piece), koyo radiator. Battery relocated to trunk. I ordered a S-AFC today.

Suspension: Koni SA shocks with ground control coil overs (500fr, 375 rear) whiteline urethane bushings everywhere, whiteline adjustable sway bars, cusco front and rear strut bars, cusco camber plates.

Street setup is Weds Autobahns 16x7 front and 16x8 rear with Yokohama AVS Sport tires 225x50 front and 245x45 rear.

Race setup is Real Racing 16x8 3 piece aluminum (14 lbs) wheels with kumho victoracer 245x45x16 race tires.

We were running the street tires yesterday, though.

Some pics of the buildup are here:
http://community.webshots.com/album/41780973LFUEHv
Old 03-17-2003, 02:10 PM   #4
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
what are your alignment settings?

How hard was it to install the Whiteline bushings? I was looking at replacing the rubber bushings all around with some poly units, and am not sure if it's worth the hassle, or if I could even do it myself.

Do you like the whiteline sways? are you using the Whiteline endlinks?

what are your thoughts on the suspension setup you have? is it about right? area's of improvement you think you could make?
Old 03-18-2003, 10:56 AM   #5
MovinUp-1
Zilvia Member

The alignment is -2.5 camber, 1/8" toe out in front
rear is -1.5 camber and 1/16" toe in is the setting I want.

The bushings are a PITA to install. The factory bushings have an inner and outer steel sleeve that must be cut out. Most of the rubber bushings had to be burned out before we could start cutting the sleeves. It took a lot of work. It is worth the work, though you will need to shave down the poly bushings before installing them or the rear end will bind in bump.

The whiteline bars are ok. the endlinks are garbage. I'm going to make my own with spherical bearings.

Right now the rear end is too tail happy. A lot of that came from the alignment shop not knowing what they were doing. they couldn't get rid of the toe out in the rear so the rear is slightly toed out instead of toed in like I said above. I disconnected the rear bar and lowered the rear of the car some to try to get it to toe in a little. It helped but it was by no means ideal. We're going to get our own caster camber and toe gauges and do our own alignments from now on. Other than that the car worked great. the turn in is absolutely amazing. Once we get the alignment correct the rear end should be more tame and the lap times will drop dramatically. Even with this crappy setup and running on street tires, we killed street mod locally so the car has a lot of potential in it. I just need some more seat time in it.