Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #2731
ARMORY
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
ARMORY is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
sorry for this non nissan post but just wanted to share job i just finished friends CRX fully built B20 vtec turbo i did the intercooler mounting brackets, charge pipes with bov flange, and downpipe so far possibly more in near future.

thanks for looking!
love this thread keep up the good work guys
Old 02-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #2732
Devil Man
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Devil Man is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wow^ nice welds

I <3 You fab thread
Devil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:11 PM   #2733
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto347 View Post
God I fucking hate those things lol
Especially when you're cutting stainless all day..... Thins like 1.5'' thick solid SS round stock.. Fun times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longfellow View Post
I have both chop saw and metal band saw and neither seemed to like 304 stainless one bit. With the chop saw I just kept melting the nickle and then it would work-harden and I wouldnt get anywhere, and the band saws HSS blades would just loose all the teeth. I ended up cutting it with a hack saw and a tungsten-carbide blade which totally sucked and took 30 minutes to do one cut on 3" tubing.

I think I'm going to try a silican-carbide cutting disk in the chop saw and see how that works.
I haven't came across anything that cuts SS easily.. It's never fun. And always sucks...

I have been tempted to try a dry cut blade for shits and giggles..
It's probably not suited well for SS. Whatever.. SS can go fuck it's couch...

I had band saw blade that was "tolerable" on SS... Worked better-ish... Had a decent life. I can't remember for the life of me, who made it...

My next investment will be to fund the development of a real working light sabre.. Then SS can eat shit and die..
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:05 AM   #2734
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
How about a laser cutter?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:19 AM   #2735
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
S14_Kouki can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
What are you guys using to cut Stainless Steel tubing?
We use to cut our pipe with a chop saw till I bought a sweet ass band saw. But both work great for me.
S14_Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #2736
longfellow
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
longfellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What type of blade are you using in the bandsaw? 32tooth HHS? I guess I'll give that another go with a new blade next time.

Nickel sucks, just work hardens then its like cutting through the wall of china with a chissle.
longfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #2737
D.Adams
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
D.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to D.Adams Send a message via MSN to D.Adams
we use a cold saw. have you guy's gave that a shot yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQz9x...eature=related

YouTube - Makita LC1230 TCT Metal Cutting Chop Saw - great demo and review

The build
http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...u-city-az.html

Owner of NVS Fabrications
D.Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #2738
fakts13
Zilvia Member

fakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nice
Quote:
I have both chop saw and metal band saw and neither seemed to like 304 stainless one bit. With the chop saw I just kept melting the nickle and then it would work-harden and I wouldnt get anywhere, and the band saws HSS blades would just loose all the teeth. I ended up cutting it with a hack saw and a tungsten-carbide blade which totally sucked and took 30 minutes to do one cut on 3" tubing.

I think I'm going to try a silican-carbide cutting disk in the chop saw and see how that works.
never had too much difficulty with a chop saw, other than it's a major pain to get it to cut perfectly square. on my band saw, i use a morse matrix II bimetal blade with 10/14T pitch. only time i have a problem is if i feed too hard or have the speed to high, especially before the blade breaks-in. if that happens, i start to lose teeth. works great on most tubing. for al. tubing it's just a little coarse, but if i feed lightly enough, no problem. works well as long as it's not hardened metal.

32t seems a bit fine, maybe that's your problem, it's like trying to file the tubing at that pitch in my opinion. i guess you could run 24 (or 20-24) as that seems to be the rule of thumb but the 10-14 works for me, i just pay attention to the chips so i can adjust feed or blade speed
fakts13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #2739
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilburn View Post
How about a laser cutter?
lol yeah mines coming in next week. 2 of them actually
Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #2740
longfellow
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakts13 View Post
never had too much difficulty with a chop saw, other than it's a major pain to get it to cut perfectly square. on my band saw, i use a morse matrix II bimetal blade with 10/14T pitch. only time i have a problem is if i feed too hard or have the speed to high, especially before the blade breaks-in. if that happens, i start to lose teeth. works great on most tubing. for al. tubing it's just a little coarse, but if i feed lightly enough, no problem. works well as long as it's not hardened metal.

32t seems a bit fine, maybe that's your problem, it's like trying to file the tubing at that pitch in my opinion. i guess you could run 24 (or 20-24) as that seems to be the rule of thumb but the 10-14 works for me, i just pay attention to the chips so i can adjust feed or blade speed
I only have issues with 304 stainless. Chop saws dont really work because they create to much heat and cause it to work harden unless you have the correct wheel, and most band saw blades are not strong enough to cut through.

The biggest issue is heat, there is a lot of nickel in 304 stainless and the hotter it gets the harder it gets, hence the issue with the chop saw. Its also much stronger than most band saw blades to begin with so I just loose teeth no matter what.

I'm really interested to see if there are blades/wheels that can cut through stainless with out much issue. The only solution I've found is a Tungsten Carbide blade in a hack saw and thats not much of one really.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #2741
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Circular Saw Blades for Slugger and Evolution Saws at Van Sant Enterprises, Inc.

There you go.. Cold cut blades.. Some made specifically for stainless steel...
Not cheap. But from the videos I've seen. They work effortlessly. Without creating enough heat to work harden it..
Old 02-27-2010, 10:46 PM   #2742
D.Adams
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
Circular Saw Blades for Slugger and Evolution Saws at Van Sant Enterprises, Inc.

Not cheap. But from the videos I've seen. They work effortlessly. Without creating enough heat to work harden it..

i use a cold saw for everything.. the best saw you can own.

The build

Old 02-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #2743
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13bdafocker View Post
i use a cold saw for everything.. the best saw you can own.
Do you do a lot of stainless?
I'm considering one of these over a band saw... But stainless is my most used material..
Old 02-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #2744
D.Adams
Post Whore!

Quote:
Do you do a lot of stainless?
I'm considering one of these over a band saw... But stainless is my most used material..

we did at one point for a all stainless hand rail for this high end house. cut over 1000 cuts of 2'' od tubing with the makita cold saw.

The build

Old 02-28-2010, 07:27 AM   #2745
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

I have a Dake horizontal band saw that I have used for cutting everything and it works great. On the other hand we have a Dake automatic cold saw at work and that thing is fucking amazing! Although we dont use it to cut stainless everything else is a breeze. If and when I move out on my own a cold saw will be the first or second investment I make.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #2746
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

S@nt0s is an unknown quantity at this point
4" stainless DP i made for my dads race car yesterday

S@nt0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #2747
longfellow
Zilvia Addict

Quote:

Thanks for the link!

Sadly I dont plan on doing much stainless and $145 is way to expensive
Old 02-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #2748
drift937
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
drift937 has a spectacular aura aboutdrift937 has a spectacular aura aboutdrift937 has a spectacular aura aboutdrift937 has a spectacular aura aboutdrift937 has a spectacular aura aboutdrift937 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S@nt0s View Post
4" stainless DP i made for my dads race car yesterday

holy shit that is a huge fucking torch
drift937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #2749
fakts13
Zilvia Member

fakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nice
Quote:
I only have issues with 304 stainless. Chop saws dont really work because they create to much heat and cause it to work harden unless you have the correct wheel, and most band saw blades are not strong enough to cut through.

The biggest issue is heat, there is a lot of nickel in 304 stainless and the hotter it gets the harder it gets, hence the issue with the chop saw. Its also much stronger than most band saw blades to begin with so I just loose teeth no matter what.

I'm really interested to see if there are blades/wheels that can cut through stainless with out much issue. The only solution I've found is a Tungsten Carbide blade in a hack saw and thats not much of one really.
i don't know what else to tell you, my band saw blades seem to work just fine on 304, 321, al, chromoly. maybe you're feeding too fast on a band saw. what's the width on the blade you're using? are you trying to cut tubing or solid stock? even the abrasive chop saws i used to use have not had a problem with work hardening 304 tubing to the point it can't be cut. only time it's been difficult is with solid stock. are you cutting tubing or pipe?
fakts13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #2750
alexander500
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
alexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Get Bendtech software, it will make your tubes fit like a pro from the start. And like Jonnie said, cut tubes about an inch or so long and slowly work your way down. If you have a good eye and can use a cut off wheel like a surgeon you have no need for a notcher.

Which bendtech software do you use and why. I was looking at them for a while and could not decide if they would be helpful to me. I mostly build roll cages
alexander500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #2751
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander500 View Post
Which bendtech software do you use and why. I was looking at them for a while and could not decide if they would be helpful to me. I mostly build roll cages
I have Bendtech EZ, the cheapest one. You punch in a few measurements from inside the car and it will show you a 3D model of the bar and where to bend it and how much. Also tells you the length your piece will be. Its really helpful.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #2752
alexander500
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
alexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
I have Bendtech EZ, the cheapest one. You punch in a few measurements from inside the car and it will show you a 3D model of the bar and where to bend it and how much. Also tells you the length your piece will be. Its really helpful.
One bar at a time? even complicated front down bars.

How do you know where to take the measurements from
alexander500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:43 PM   #2753
SANdisk

SANdisk is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander500 View Post
One bar at a time? even complicated front down bars.

How do you know where to take the measurements from

watch both of them... 15 times each...

YouTube - 1 of 2 bend-tech assembly demonstration
SANdisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #2754
xdumbxguyx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
xdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
custom trailer ive been working on

tubing notcher at my buddys shop notchs effortlessly

Old 03-01-2010, 05:24 AM   #2755
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANdisk View Post
watch both of them... 15 times each...

YouTube - 1 of 2 bend-tech assembly demonstration
Yeah thats the bad ass version, wish I had that
Old 03-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #2756
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Otto.. You should upgrade!
Well worth it!

(Yes I know I forgot the horizontal and diagonal brace)
This is an example from Bend-Tech PRO
Old 03-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #2757
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Today I build another Blu808 Beef Supreme SR top mount manifold for an sr ae86. Sch 10 t304 stainless FTW.

Will be cleaning and welding it up tomorrow.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #2758
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
Today I build another Blu808 Beef Supreme SR top mount manifold for an sr ae86. Sch 10 t304 stainless FTW.

Will be cleaning and welding it up tomorrow.

You did not have any longer straight pieces to fill that gap??
Old 03-02-2010, 12:25 AM   #2759
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14_Kouki View Post
You did not have any longer straight pieces to fill that gap??
Which gap? Are you talking about the 2 segments welded together? Those will be replaced by a single piece before welding. This is just mocked up to confirm fitment.

BROWN!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #2760
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
Which gap? Are you talking about the 2 segments welded together? Those will be replaced by a single piece before welding. This is just mocked up to confirm fitment.

BROWN!
Yes sir, just wondering. BLUE....... am I playing the right game lol