Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
AdrenalineS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
AdrenalineS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
"surprises" found in SR oil pan!?!

Yo Zilvians, well im posting this cause im lookin out for a friend and i fear the worst for him, today we managed to drop his tomei oil pan cause it was dented from him being careless(we'll get back to that in a sec)... our main reason for working on his car was because we heard a "TAP" noise after drifting on a Sunday a few weeks back we both came to the conclusion that the "TAP" was coming from the head so we gutted the cams out and noticed that one of the rocker arms had a pretty bad flat spot and the cam lobe looked all blackish with a griddy texture come to find out that the oil rail was clogged and wasn't getting proper lube for that particular cam lobe and rocker arm well that's fixed finally and thought that's it all we have to do is drop the oil pan and bang out the dent and be happy that he can drive his car soon... HA (now getting back to the pan)
weeellllllll we popped that pan off and noticed little fragments of copper "he" didnt really think much of it but i did and told him im a little nervous about the little copper fragments. Im not 100% sure but im guessing that its either fragments of his main bearings or rod bearings WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK??? and now im thinking maybe that tapping noise came from the block! If it is either of the bearings its gonna suck telling him he wont be able to drive his shit for a LONG LONG time plus he's REAL temperamental too! Ima have too tell him over the phone rofl! ohh boy lol

his specs=
SR20DET
Just tuned it to 360hp @17psi on power fc only mods are...
JGY rail
1000cc ID injectors
greddy style intake mani
hks mani
gt2871 .86
AdrenalineS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
boms
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
boms is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
lolz..................
boms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Nicelyphe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Lmao what a story. Dam though that's no good..Tell em to sell the tomei pan, get a stock one, and bearings!
Nicelyphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
boms
Zilvia Member

and a crank while hes at it,,
Old 02-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
turbociv910
Zilvia Member

turbociv910 is an unknown quantity at this point
Copper is found on the inside of bearings... Hes going to need a engine soon.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
boms
Zilvia Member

wait this isnt normal>>???

Old 02-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
hardparkd
Leaky Injector

hardparkd is an unknown quantity at this point
please tell me thats not the actual pic of his oilpan....
hardparkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
boms
Zilvia Member

na a picture i snapped of a customers oil pan
Old 02-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
AdrenalineS14
Zilvia Member

^rofl damn! lol shit gotta break the news to my buddy wish me luck hahaha
Old 02-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Well, I hope my "Tap" don't result in this kind of ending >_< shit lol
Old 02-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
boms
Zilvia Member

a machine shop will be your best friend.. have them check everything rods,crank,block.. its gonna cost money.. but if you cheap out there.. you will re build the motor twice
Old 02-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Yea screw doing that twice, As of now I usually only have this "tap" when cold out and under 2k rpms, until it warms up fully.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #13
boms
Zilvia Member

just speaking from experience.. i just got done going threw my motor.. measured the rods myself... did great for couple hundred miles... number 3 was egg shaped.. Rod knock came back.. First failed motor ive built..go figure out of all the motors ive done it was My personal car... I skipped one step to try save a couple bucks.. ended up costing me more.. I was careless "thought" it was ok..
Old 02-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #14
AdrenalineS14
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicelyphe View Post
Yea screw doing that twice, As of now I usually only have this "tap" when cold out and under 2k rpms, until it warms up fully.
lol have you checked lifters maybe got some air in one of them and need to bleed them idk
Old 02-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #15
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Ah man that sounds terrible =\. Yea I've personally haven't ever walked into a machine shop around here, but heard rates were up there.

Nope I haven't checked into lifters actually
Old 02-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #16
AdrenalineS14
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boms View Post
just speaking from experience.. i just got done going threw my motor.. measured the rods myself... did great for couple hundred miles... number 3 was egg shaped.. Rod knock came back.. First failed motor ive built..go figure out of all the motors ive done it was My personal car... I skipped one step to try save a couple bucks.. ended up costing me more.. I was careless "thought" it was ok..
ooch man... hey we live and we learn
Old 02-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #17
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Fuck it, drive it till it blows...tell him to save money for another block while he's at it.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #18
AdrenalineS14
Zilvia Member

update! just broke the news to my friend, he's so pissed... someone come save me lol jk jk he'll get over it :/
Old 02-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #19
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
With the price of a longblock compared to a potential fail rebuild I would go for a longblock.

problem with rebuilds is... unfortunately, there are so many details, often some are overlooked. and it only takes a single detail to be overlooked for a catastrophic engine failure.

Imagine a situation like this... a couple of spun main bearings. So you tear it down all nice, bag everything up individually, follow the FSM procedure for runout and dial bore gauge all the rods and mains... You do your research and find the right machine shop, he tanks the block and measures everything and double triple checks... everything looks good.

Little did you know, a .028" bit of copper was lodged in an oil galley where nobody could see it. You fire the engine up... and you guess the rest. "surprise"
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #20
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
^^^I have to agree...its more cheaper and easier to just throw in another known good block than rebuilding it. Keep the old engine and take your time rebuilding that one.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!

Last edited by fliprayzin240sx; 02-11-2012 at 07:48 PM..
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #21
nassin31spr
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
nassin31spr is a splendid one to beholdnassin31spr is a splendid one to beholdnassin31spr is a splendid one to beholdnassin31spr is a splendid one to beholdnassin31spr is a splendid one to beholdnassin31spr is a splendid one to beholdnassin31spr is a splendid one to beholdnassin31spr is a splendid one to beholdnassin31spr is a splendid one to beholdnassin31spr is a splendid one to beholdnassin31spr is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Drive it till it blows. Buddy of mine found a bunch of copper chunks in his pan. We pieced them together and it looked like a small washer made of Cooper. He's been driving it for six months since then. He still takes it to events and daily drives it. Don't think to much about it but if it still runs with out massive taps just drive it.

"Home is where the armor is"
nassin31spr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #22
JDMRIDDAZ
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
JDMRIDDAZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i found the same thing in my oil pan after redoing bottom bearing an swapping crank
it ended up being thrust bearing from t25
swapped turbo and went on with no probs
Old 02-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #23
slw240sx
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (4)
slw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slw240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
With the price of a longblock compared to a potential fail rebuild I would go for a longblock.

problem with rebuilds is... unfortunately, there are so many details, often some are overlooked. and it only takes a single detail to be overlooked for a catastrophic engine failure.

Imagine a situation like this... a couple of spun main bearings. So you tear it down all nice, bag everything up individually, follow the FSM procedure for runout and dial bore gauge all the rods and mains... You do your research and find the right machine shop, he tanks the block and measures everything and double triple checks... everything looks good.

Little did you know, a .028" bit of copper was lodged in an oil galley where nobody could see it. You fire the engine up... and you guess the rest. "surprise"

if you did the correct research you would find a machine shop that would take the time to take the galley plugs out and flush the whole motor out after machining it all. then you would never have to worry about contaminants in the oil galleys.

the potential of Buying a blown up long block is far greater then having a machined motor fail. this isnt witch craft this is precision work and as long as you pay attention to details you will have no issues out of a fresh rebuilt motor.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #24
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Walperstyle
order up a new headgasket, and pull the head off and take a look. I would also drop the full pan and do a visual on the bearings.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #25
slw240sx
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (4)
slw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slw240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walperstyle View Post
order up a new headgasket, and pull the head off and take a look. I would also drop the full pan and do a visual on the bearings.

why would you pull the head and look? that will tell you nothing of bottom end problems. the best idea would be to pull off the pan and check out a main and rod bearing and see if its too the copper yet. more then likely some of the bearings are the through the babbitt material and into the copper and that's where your copper flakes come from. this means the motor is ready for a freshening up, it has likely suffered some oil starvation periods.