Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #3091
Chronicle
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Chronicle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS240 View Post
The crank walk problem is almost eliminated by bypassing the clutch switch so you can start the engine without pushing in the clutch. If you push in a heavy clutch with the engine off, it tends to push out the remaining oil that was held between the the thrust bearings and the crank/block which causes a dry start for the thrust bearings and can eventually wear them down enough to cause failure.
This, and raising your engine's idle RPM will help keep the thrust bearings in good shape. The guys over at SF have dealt with the crank walk issue for a while now, so they've been pretty thorough with finding a solution.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #3092
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Quick question,

Is there any set of mounts out there that allows a D-Max hood to clear a 1/2JZ without having to trim the vents on the hood?
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #3093
Chronicle
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Double View Post
Quick question,

Is there any set of mounts out there that allows a D-Max hood to clear a 1/2JZ without having to trim the vents on the hood?
I personally don't know, but it would probably be good to get some more info. S13 or S14? And have you already tried installing the engine and discovered clearance issues, or are you just double checking before installing?
Old 11-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #3094
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
It will be going into an S14. I'm mostly double checking because after visiting Get Nuts Labs a few times, i had seen that Forrest had to cut his hood for clearance issues.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #3095
ska
Leaky Injector

ska is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
It will be going into an S14. I'm mostly double checking because after visiting Get Nuts Labs a few times, i had seen that Forrest had to cut his hood for clearance issues.

Just get Xcessive brakets with solid mounts. No clearance issues at all with the hood. Only 1 problem was I had to trim a little because I moved my radiator forward too much and the cap was barely touching the hood.

What are people with stock twin turbos doing about boost cut? Is a fuel cut defender safe? I would assume not because that means you would be running lean at higher boost..
ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #3096
Chronicle
Leaky Injector

Alright, I need a hand guys. I'm trying to separate the stock twins from that middle exhaust piece, and I'm having the hardest time with it. They're the 12mm (ish) nuts that are indented at each edge. Is my only hope to torch them all out and get new bolts? Have any of you guys been able to take them completely off?
Old 11-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #3097
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Quick question,

I don't think there is. I want different mounts but my oil pan is already level, actually about 1/4" higher than, the bottom of my crossmember.

Black R - Here is a pic of my exhaust (Piping bought from MandrelBendsSolution)
*That nasty crossover on that you see on the 1st pic is due to I didn't have enough oval piping. I'm going to order more to get it corrected. Only 3 bends are needed (for me)
*My car fits into the "slammed" category, and the only problem I had was at the front of the frame rail. The piping there flattened out eventually.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #3098
turbob16ef
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
turbob16ef is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Crank Walk Documentation

If anyone cares to read through the thread. More about the crank walk.
turbob16ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #3099
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska View Post
Just get Xcessive brakets with solid mounts. No clearance issues at all with the hood. Only 1 problem was I had to trim a little because I moved my radiator forward too much and the cap was barely touching the hood.
Thanks! I was definitely going to get the Xcessive kit and i already have some Cusco solid mounts to go along with it.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #3100
reynas14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
reynas14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ohh wow that crank walk thing sounds scary... kinda concerned now since I just bought the act 635ft lb extreme clutch kit and r154 from driftmotion. .. sigh that sucks.

Hopefully on to good news. I seen that you guys were talking about running some fuel controlling devices. Im fairly certain this will be my setup. The new aem fuel pump, -8 supply line to a tee than 6 to a duel feed rail, than 6 on the return. Also going with a -8 filter as well. Thinking of doing 1300cc injectors and an aeromotive fpr. I think thats it for fuel, kinda confused on the fuel contollers but I want to be able to run e85. Mines and aristo 2jzgte, doing a precision 6266, log ebay mani, 44mm wg, bov, greddy profec b spec 2 boost controller. That should be good for my single setup right guys?
Old 11-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #3101
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynas14 View Post
Ohh wow that crank walk thing sounds scary... kinda concerned now since I just bought the act 635ft lb extreme clutch kit and r154 from driftmotion. .. sigh that sucks.

Hopefully on to good news. I seen that you guys were talking about running some fuel controlling devices. Im fairly certain this will be my setup. The new aem fuel pump, -8 supply line to a tee than 6 to a duel feed rail, than 6 on the return. Also going with a -8 filter as well. Thinking of doing 1300cc injectors and an aeromotive fpr. I think thats it for fuel, kinda confused on the fuel contollers but I want to be able to run e85. Mines and aristo 2jzgte, doing a precision 6266, log ebay mani, 44mm wg, bov, greddy profec b spec 2 boost controller. That should be good for my single setup right guys?
What sized exhaust housing on the 6266? Sounds like a solid setup

PM'd you about a fuel fitting I have for sale
Old 11-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #3102
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Can anyone tell me how to setup a scavenger crankcase vent? See link for part

Vibrant Stainless Steel E-VAC Scavenger Kit [1189] - $35.00 : Jay Racing
Old 11-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #3103
AS240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
AS240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG MiKE86 View Post
Can anyone tell me how to setup a scavenger crankcase vent? See link for part
Same as you would a normal catch can, but instead of the vacuum source coming from the intake piping [which would be just before the turbo(s)], you would plumb the line into the exhaust.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #3104
Chronicle
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS240 View Post
Same as you would a normal catch can, but instead of the vacuum source coming from the intake piping [which would be just before the turbo(s)], you would plumb the line into the exhaust.
Just make sure you put the bung at least a few inches after your wideband. I was considering doing something like this too, I didn't know someone made a setup like this though. Kind of makes that idea sound a lot better.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #3105
reynas14
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG MiKE86 View Post
What sized exhaust housing on the 6266? Sounds like a solid setup

PM'd you about a fuel fitting I have for sale
Not totally sure on that yet, was going to see what you guys were thinking for what power levels I want.

That fitting looks nice and ill probably pick it up soon, finalizing what all I need before I buy stuff.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #3106
AS240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
AS240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicle View Post
Just make sure you put the bung at least a few inches after your wideband. I was considering doing something like this too, I didn't know someone made a setup like this though. Kind of makes that idea sound a lot better.
I forgot to mention that the angle at which it it joins into the exhaust is also very crucial. I think optimal angle is 30-45° but I forget the exact numbers.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #3107
kalel540
Leaky Injector

kalel540 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just finished putting this babies together. fucking sexy
Not a big thing but, some progress until I round up money for motor mounts and drive shaft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1863.jpg (514.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1867.jpg (525.2 KB, 27 views)
kalel540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #3108
93egallmotor
Leaky Injector

93egallmotor is an unknown quantity at this point
those of you with the xcessive mounts, how did you determine the final placement of the engine once you sat it in? there's like over an inch of forward or backward spacing. i also have the xcessive trans mount and trans crossmember. trying to figure out the final resting place so i can measure for a driveshaft. engine is a 1jzgte, thanks for the input!
Old 11-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #3109
Drink&Drift
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
Drink&Drift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Drink&Drift
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93egallmotor View Post
those of you with the xcessive mounts, how did you determine the final placement of the engine once you sat it in? there's like over an inch of forward or backward spacing. i also have the xcessive trans mount and trans crossmember. trying to figure out the final resting place so i can measure for a driveshaft. engine is a 1jzgte, thanks for the input!
just check all the clearances all around, oil pan, back of head, get it to where you want, with the help of a friend and a hoist, then tighten the bolts. my motor fell into perfect resting place when I sat it on the mounts somehow.
Drink&Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #3110
2jzs14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
2jzs14 will become famous soon enough2jzs14 will become famous soon enough2jzs14 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicle View Post
So I found a new engine importer in Gaithersburg, MD called MD JDM Motors. I have to say, being able to see the engine in person was a big help. I went looking for a normal 2JZ, but I ended up getting a VVT-i 2JZ. Good news is it came with the Ignitor and the MAF, bad news is the immobilized ECU. I'll just have to get an older one, no big deal.

As you can see, I don't have the best place to work on the engine, as I have no garage. But at least it's airtight, will stay dry, and I plan on keeping a dehumidifier in there just in case. Working on taking the stock twins off to get rebuilt as of now.

If anyone needs an A341e, torque converter and Flexplate for cheap, let me know! I don't want it haha
i have this ecu and i lengthened the harness. im parting the car out too lol
2jzs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #3111
Chronicle
Leaky Injector

I'm in the process of pulling the stock twins, and for anyone that is using the stock twins and wants to keep them, I'd advise you pull them off anyway. I pulled the bottom exhaust pieces before the downpipe and there is a 4mm ring of gunk on the inside of the pipe. It looks like a freaking restrictor ring haha, I'll have to snap a couple pics.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #3112
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Anybody reused the stock fuel hard lines and simply tapped into them and then run -an fittings and braided lines?

I don't want to run new lines from the tank, etc, just yet - I want to reuse as much of the stock hard lines as possible.

I'm not happy with my fuel lines and want to redo them, so show me how you did it.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #3113
reynas14
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black R View Post
Anybody reused the stock fuel hard lines and simply tapped into them and then run -an fittings and braided lines?

I don't want to run new lines from the tank, etc, just yet - I want to reuse as much of the stock hard lines as possible.

I'm not happy with my fuel lines and want to redo them, so show me how you did it.
I think it depends on what horsepower and fuel you want or plan on using in the future. Im replacing my supple and return lines on mine because im running -8 supply and -6 return.

And actually that brings me to a question. I plan on using e85 with my setup. Looking for around 700 on e85 with a 6266. But heres where im undecided, should I either

A) go with duel 320lph AEMs, make a duel hanger, run duel -6 lines
B) use a magnafuel 750 single and run the -8???

I understand that duels would be cheaper, but heres what im thinking, if I go duel, it will:

Save me money on pump prices
Cost me way more in an fittings and now having to run a second line as well as an additional filter.
More wiring and controls
If one fails it will lean the engine out and possibly damage it!

The big magnafuel is more expansive but can handle more than I plan on using, has wiggle room in case I want more hp.

One thing thats bothering me though, I will need this thing lower than my tank so that it picks up fuel right, so im not sure of the best way in doing this! Im unsure and kinda stuck on my fuel setup. I thought I had it all figured out, but duel pumps are throwing me off atm lol.
Would love to hear opinions and experiences as well as advice. Thanks guys
Old 11-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #3114
Drink&Drift
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
Drink&Drift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Drink&Drift
Good question on the hard lines, id like to hear from someone making over 600whp with the stock tank/ stock lines
Drink&Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #3115
turbob16ef
Zilvia Junkie

I'm have the magnafuel 750. Plan on just running a line to about where the stock sock is suppose to be. Being below the tank I don't think it makes a difference. The magna 750 is also submersible. Couple supra people run them intank, just not sure how fitment would be with an s14 tank. I will see if it will fit before running all my lines.

If u wanted to run dual pumps you could just run them into one 8an line instead of two 6an.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #3116
turbob16ef
Zilvia Junkie

I really think 600 is pushing the limits of the stock lines, I know it's been done.
But it deff shouldn't be a problem converting it to an an fitting/braided line. Not really much diff that the stock hard line going to soft line to the rail on sr/ka's.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #3117
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91ka24 View Post
Here is the alt wiring for anyone who wants to know how to wire it up on a s13. This is with the oval aristo plug. Red with blue stripe goes to a switched 12v, white goes to your factory white alt wire which is your 12v, and yellow goes to your white with red stripe factory alt wire, its for your charge light. Hope that helps some people

Thank you.

I had to deal with my dead / dying alternator tonight and what a pain it is driving home with your headlights getting dimmer and dimmer.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #3118
reynas14
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbob16ef View Post
I'm have the magnafuel 750. Plan on just running a line to about where the stock sock is suppose to be. Being below the tank I don't think it makes a difference. The magna 750 is also submersible. Couple supra people run them intank, just not sure how fitment would be with an s14 tank. I will see if it will fit before running all my lines.

If u wanted to run dual pumps you could just run them into one 8an line instead of two 6an.
I like the magnafuel 750 pump too but I heard that they sometimes arent reliable since they run hot and can burn the winding's! Have you used these before or know anyone that has? I don't want to run duel pumps but i will if its more reliable than a 500$$$ pump ya know lol

Also just FYI to anyone buying a drive shaft:
Shaftmasters is starting their black friday sales now and end on Dec 15th. They quoted me 340-342 shipped for aluminum!!! Thats a super good deal.

I need to try and find some measurements because i dont have a way to dry fit the engine and tranny until my buddies barns done this spring.........
Anyone on here have some good measurements?

My application is a 1996 240sx 2jzgte aristo R154 and my diff has a KAAZ 2 way if that matters. Thanks guys!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #3119
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynas14 View Post
I think it depends on what horsepower and fuel you want or plan on using in the future. Im replacing my supple and return lines on mine because im running -8 supply and -6 return.

And actually that brings me to a question. I plan on using e85 with my setup. Looking for around 700 on e85 with a 6266. But heres where im undecided, should I either

A) go with duel 320lph AEMs, make a duel hanger, run duel -6 lines
B) use a magnafuel 750 single and run the -8???

I understand that duels would be cheaper, but heres what im thinking, if I go duel, it will:

Save me money on pump prices
Cost me way more in an fittings and now having to run a second line as well as an additional filter.
More wiring and controls
If one fails it will lean the engine out and possibly damage it!

The big magnafuel is more expansive but can handle more than I plan on using, has wiggle room in case I want more hp.

One thing thats bothering me though, I will need this thing lower than my tank so that it picks up fuel right, so im not sure of the best way in doing this! Im unsure and kinda stuck on my fuel setup. I thought I had it all figured out, but duel pumps are throwing me off atm lol.
Would love to hear opinions and experiences as well as advice. Thanks guys

Iirc, two pumps run inline is better than dual pumps.

Food for thought...

I've been thinking that eventually I'd like to do a swirl pot for dual inline pumps.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #3120
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
91ka24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Just got the 2j runnin with the driftmotion 6262 kit. With the twins I was running 15# and with this set up I'm only running 12#. I'm having a little breakup as soon as I start to get in to boost but if I stay in the throttle or go wot it clears up and pulls smooth. My plugs are gapped to .025. I didn't have this problem with the twins at all. Still on stock ecu. Anyone else had these problems?