Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #4621
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacho View Post
Some nice work lately in here. I finally finished my RB manifold and got it coated. This is the final product.

I'd try to aim for more penetration on the collector, or weld the inside of it.
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #4622
Chamb-O
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Chamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
I use 1/16th Lanthanated and Ceriated.

I mostly use either a #8 normal gas lens or a #12 large gas lens. On aluminium I use a #6 non-gas lens cup...

But I carry #4-#10 regular cups, #10 & #12 large gas lens, and #6; #8; and #10 regular gas lenses.

I never use Thoriated tungsten.
Just curious
Why no thoriated?
And why no lens on Al?
Chamb-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #4623
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamb-O View Post
Just curious
Why no thoriated?
And why no lens on Al?
Thoriated is garbage. It's a nice all-purpose tungsten if you're using an inverter TIG and have nothing else to use. I like the arc consistency and stability of Lanthanated (preferably 1.5% over 2%) and Ceriated.

And there's absolutely ZERO need for a gas lens on aluminium... I welded aluminium for 6 months straight at an old job. 12 hours a day.

Thicknesses ranging from 1/8'' to 1.5'' thick. I tried ever regular cup size available and every gas lens (Company stocked so much stuff). Using a gas lens made ZERO difference. The best cup I found was a regular old #5.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #4624
brainfood
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
brainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
You just pull the cup off when welding aluminum?
Old 03-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #4625
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfood View Post
You just pull the cup off when welding aluminum?
What? No.

I use a regular cup and collet style set up... No gas lens.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #4626
brainfood
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
brainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Oh gotcha I read it quickly, makes a lot more sense.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #4627
Zacho
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Zacho is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Its hard to see but in most areas it was just about poking through, I just smoothed it out a bunch before it got coated. Sch40 is thick, 100% pen everywhere wasn't my biggest concern personally
Zacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #4628
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacho View Post
Its hard to see but in most areas it was just about poking through, I just smoothed it out a bunch before it got coated. Sch40 is thick, 100% pen everywhere wasn't my biggest concern personally
This type of mentality makes you look like a sloppy fabricator. I was trying to be nice and help you, but that type of attitude makes me rage....
Old 03-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #4629
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
This type of mentality makes you look like a sloppy fabricator. I was trying to be nice and help you, but that type of attitude makes me rage....
that type of mentality makes you look like an integrist, which is not really better.

(now waiting for flaming and authority argument, but dont waste your time, i dont really bother about that)
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #4630
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
I've always used thoriated with no issues....but I am going to buy some lanthanated 1.5 and a 8-12 cup
Old 03-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #4631
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
that type of mentality makes you look like an integrist, which is not really better.

(now waiting for flaming and authority argument, but dont waste your time, i dont really bother about that)
Sorry I don't promote sloppy work jackass...

My issue with Thoriated is the spitting. After some usage, the tip gathers splinters of tungsten at the tip. I'm sure you've noticed it. Those splinters spit off into your weld (and also cause arc wander etc). Now it's not going to create any serious problems, unless you x-ray it. Maybe I'm just picky and a perfectionist when it comes to welding...
Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #4632
Chamb-O
Leaky Injector

Chamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
My issue with Thoriated is the spitting. After some usage, the tip gathers splinters of tungsten at the tip. I'm sure you've noticed it. Those splinters spit off into your weld (and also cause arc wander etc). Now it's not going to create any serious problems, unless you x-ray it. Maybe I'm just picky and a perfectionist when it comes to welding...
no that's great!
I have used Ceriated on thin sheet metal but have never compared Thoriated back to back, but yes I hate when Thor freaking splinters.

Next time I get supplies I'm going to try Lanthanated.
Chamb-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #4633
atutt
Zilvia Addict

I personally like 1.5% Lanthanated (Gold band) the most. Especially on stainless steel. I feel it's very very stable and the puddle just feels so fluid and natural.
Ceriated is a very close second. Then 2% Lanthanated.

I really want to try the hybrid tungstens.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #4634
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

STR8E180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
u dont need perpetration and u dont need to weld the inside of the collector
i never have and ive never had a single problem what so ever
i like having the inside of my collector to have sharp joints and penetrating or welding the inside would not give me that result

STR8E180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #4635
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Again, to me it just shows laziness/sloppiness.

You may not think it's necessary but I strive to do the best work I possibly can. That includes tying up loose ends. Such as the other side of weld joints.

Kudos to you if you don't.
Again, I won't promote someone to do sloppy work.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #4636
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

STR8E180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Again, to me it just shows laziness/sloppiness.

You may not think it's necessary but I strive to do the best work I possibly can. That includes tying up loose ends. Such as the other side of weld joints.

Kudos to you if you don't.
Again, I won't promote someone to do sloppy work.
i dont do it because im lazy or sloppy
the reason i dont do it is because it would not give the sharp joints im after
if i lay a bead on top of the joint inside the collector ill end up with a rounded joint instead of the sharp joints im after

anyways this is the latest car im working on
GT3076R
custom high mount turbo
blah blah blah u get the picture

Last edited by STR8E180; 11-26-2012 at 02:04 AM..
STR8E180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #4637
turbociv910
Zilvia Member

turbociv910 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8E180 View Post
no problems here, excellent merge
Old 03-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #4638
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Here's my exhaust manifold with cast T4TS collector and the solid aluminum engine mounts me and my boss made. I'll probably re-do the mounts, the aluminum I used was contaminated or something, it was weird.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Last edited by PoorMans180SX; 03-03-2012 at 01:44 PM..
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #4639
turbociv910
Zilvia Member

turbociv910 is an unknown quantity at this point
that is awsome!!^^
Old 03-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #4640
Fred Allen Burge
Zilvia Junkie

Fred Allen Burge is an unknown quantity at this point
What motor is that Poorman?
Old 03-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #4641
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
DSM 7-bolt 4G63 good sir. Will be a 2.3 stroker.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #4642
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
i never have and ive never had a single problem what so ever
i like having the inside of my collector to have sharp joints and penetrating or welding the inside would not give me that result

The media blasting looks to have rounded it anyway.

What's wrong with the rounded edges anyway? Do you think sharp edges equal better flow?

Poorman. I'm on my phone but those aluminium mounts don't appear to look contaminated... :s
Old 03-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #4643
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Poorman. I'm on my phone but those aluminium mounts don't appear to look contaminated... :s
Hahah, the other one is a little worse, think they'll hold? I am probably going to redo them in steel so they look nice and I don't have to worry about them.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #4644
Patrick Bowering
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Patrick Bowering is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
dsm heart in s13 you are a terribl terrible human being. haha i approve of fab skills but dirty dirty things have happened.
Patrick Bowering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #4645
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Hahah, the other one is a little worse, think they'll hold? I am probably going to redo them in steel so they look nice and I don't have to worry about them.
I"m skeptical as to whether they'd hold or not... I definitely feel they'd be much better with some sort bracing the middle and all sides of the joints welded.

I don't know how much experience you have with aluminium, but 100% PERFECT fitment is everything.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #4646
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
I"m skeptical as to whether they'd hold or not... I definitely feel they'd be much better with some sort bracing the middle and all sides of the joints welded.

I don't know how much experience you have with aluminium, but 100% PERFECT fitment is everything.
Yeah, I don't have much experience really, I think I'll just make them in steel and be done with it.

Patrick, I know I know, but really it's a much more practical engine than the SR or KA for what I'll be doing, plus the ability to use a T56 trans is a plus.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #4647
hb24drftr
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
hb24drftr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Shock mounts for a long travel kit on a 2001 Ford F-150.

hb24drftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #4648
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Lol dont ever try welding for a trade.
Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #4649
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto347 View Post
Lol dont ever try welding for a trade.

i laughed too.....
Old 03-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #4650
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
You, fab guys got any samplepics of good tube front ends? I am in the process of having mine done and want to see some different examples to decide which one is best for me.
Thanks ahead.!