Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
flclsteve
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
flclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Installed Exhaust now my car feels slow

Just installed my exhaust and it feels very slow not saying my car was fast before but it just seems to take alot long to climb the rev's when driving any ideas why? its a catback with 3 inch piping on a na ka i know 3 inch is big just didnt think it would affect any thing.
ka24e
cold air intake
cat-back 3 inch pipe

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2008, 12:22 AM   #2
wickedS14

Trader Rating: (0)
wickedS14 will become famous soon enoughwickedS14 will become famous soon enoughwickedS14 will become famous soon enoughwickedS14 will become famous soon enoughwickedS14 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
And your wondering why it takes long to get up to rev. 3inch on a 24e, thats overkill. You sir need all the back pressure you can get. It's like blowing through a mcdonalds straw to then blowing through a papertowel roll. Put back on your other exhaust and save the 3 inch for a higher hp motor. Just my 2cents!
Old 05-21-2008, 12:26 AM   #3
apex
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (44)
apex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
do a tune up
Old 05-21-2008, 12:28 AM   #4
flclsteve
Zilvia Junkie

flclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedS14 View Post
And your wondering why it takes long to get up to rev. 3inch on a 24e, thats overkill. You sir need all the back pressure you can get. It's like blowing through a mcdonalds straw to then blowing through a papertowel roll. Put back on your other exhaust and save the 3 inch for a higher hp motor. Just my 2cents!
still learning makes sense like a dual cam or sr?

Old 05-21-2008, 12:33 AM   #5
ALEXTHESUS*PECT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
ALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ALEXTHESUS*PECT
for ka's i would say 2.5" is max for na. sr or turbo ka would be 3". you got no torque, and we all know with that sohc, you got no real top end either. but i'm sure you got a loud fucken car!

TEAM SUS*PECT
Old 05-21-2008, 12:34 AM   #6
dino6192
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
dino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex View Post
do a tune up
for what? he needs backpressure! 2.5 is the largest I would have gone on your car. nice exhaust though.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:35 AM   #7
flclsteve
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEXTHESUS*PECT View Post
for ka's i would say 2.5" is max for na. sr or turbo ka would be 3". you got no torque, and we all know with that sohc, you got no real top end either. but i'm sure you got a loud fucken car!
seriously it sounds fucking crazy i need to post the video

Old 05-21-2008, 12:42 AM   #8
MTalon
Leaky Injector

MTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant future
if he still has the stock dp, hes got back pressure. If he installed headers, and a test pipe and the exhaust then I would say theres not enough back pressure
Old 05-21-2008, 12:43 AM   #9
jinesz32
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (10)
jinesz32 is a splendid one to beholdjinesz32 is a splendid one to beholdjinesz32 is a splendid one to beholdjinesz32 is a splendid one to beholdjinesz32 is a splendid one to beholdjinesz32 is a splendid one to beholdjinesz32 is a splendid one to beholdjinesz32 is a splendid one to beholdjinesz32 is a splendid one to beholdjinesz32 is a splendid one to beholdjinesz32 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jinesz32
i had a 3" BC exhaust on my na ka24de, feels like it ran better.

then again yours is 24e, not really sure about those. i just heard the ka24de's like to breathe.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:49 AM   #10
wickedS14

wickedS14 will become famous soon enoughwickedS14 will become famous soon enoughwickedS14 will become famous soon enoughwickedS14 will become famous soon enoughwickedS14 will become famous soon enough
What were you running before that? stock? I got a custom 2.5 straight piping w/ a glass pack resonator angled out to apexi n1 tip for my bone stock kade. I chirp through 2nd whenever and spin through 3rd if raining "bald tires".
Old 05-21-2008, 12:51 AM   #11
flclsteve
Zilvia Junkie

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amAA-rJhH8A[/ame]
so heres the vid just in case ur wondering so i guess i should just go do a swap now =P or get smaller pipeing

Old 05-21-2008, 12:54 AM   #12
MTalon
Leaky Injector

MTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant future
couldn't even wait to get the car off the jack before starting it.. sheesh.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:56 AM   #13
Felipe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Felipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
hahaha... nice...

just put a silensarrrrrrrr
Old 05-21-2008, 01:02 AM   #14
apex
Zilvia FREAK!

apex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino6192 View Post
for what? he needs backpressure! 2.5 is the largest I would have gone on your car. nice exhaust though.
shut the f up i got a sohc with headers 3'test pipe and 3' catback
here me gettin sideways

Old 05-21-2008, 01:58 AM   #15
sunnys14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
sunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
For KA's, 3" ftmfw.

Big engines like to breathe, the end.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #16
Jeezy240
Zilvia Member

Jeezy240 is an unknown quantity at this point
i feel that 3 inch is too big. your loosing power. theres not enough backpressure. if you were to put a cat in there and a silencer then i think it might help some.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #17
flclsteve
Zilvia Junkie

there is a cat its a cat back system I'm sure I can ghetto fab some silencers or somthing

Old 05-21-2008, 10:32 AM   #18
airforceone451
Zilvia Junkie

airforceone451 will become famous soon enoughairforceone451 will become famous soon enoughairforceone451 will become famous soon enoughairforceone451 will become famous soon enoughairforceone451 will become famous soon enough
Obviously with a bigger diameter aftermarket exhaust system you will lose power in the lower powerband, but you also free up space so you gain power in the upper rpms...I don't think 3 inches is overkill for an n/a ka
Old 05-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #19
5t341tH
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 5t341tH
try putting a highflow cat in. i was recommended to do so by a muffler shop.

lexus baby
Old 05-22-2008, 10:46 PM   #20
bigjacsoc
Zilvia Member

bigjacsoc is an unknown quantity at this point
if u have a test pipe downgrade to a cat or a resonated test pipe to get ur backpressure back. u can get resonated from www.projectnissan.com
Old 05-22-2008, 11:06 PM   #21
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedS14 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEXTHESUS*PECT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino6192 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTalon View Post
if he still has the stock dp, hes got back pressure. If he installed headers, and a test pipe and the exhaust then I would say theres not enough back pressure
WTF are you people talking about back pressure like it's a good thing?

Check for exhaust leaks.

Are we talking ass dyno here? Cause sure it will feel different. Doesn't mean you're loosing power.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:33 AM   #22
flclsteve
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
WTF are you people talking about back pressure like it's a good thing?

Check for exhaust leaks.

Are we talking ass dyno here? Cause sure it will feel different. Doesn't mean you're loosing power.
No we are not talking dyno but ya driving with it its pretty noticable doesnt seem to be any exhaust leaks but i can live i guess

Old 05-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #23
apex
Zilvia FREAK!

u need a tune up of sumthing
there r even dyno sheets posted on here if u search that shows
3" only has gains no loses might feel like it but u gained more topend with 3"
Old 05-23-2008, 08:23 PM   #24
Mikey213
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (-1)
Mikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really nice
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
im not sure, but i think those dynos are only for the DOHC...
Old 05-23-2008, 11:33 PM   #25
cornercarver240

cornercarver240 is making a name for him/her selfcornercarver240 is making a name for him/her self
why does everyone keep saying he needs backpressure. no he doesn't, backpressure is bad for performance. the reason it feels slower is because the exhaust is too big, it flows a very large amount of air but the velocity has been reduced a great amount, which reduces scavenging thus lowering torque. it can no longer expel the air out efficiently, and on a car that already doesn't have great volumetric effieciency this will be much more obvious. bigger is not always better, you need to find what's best for your application.

Last edited by cornercarver240; 05-23-2008 at 11:53 PM..
Old 05-23-2008, 11:43 PM   #26
BoostedCoupe
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
BoostedCoupe can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
wow backpressure this backpressure that. I have 3" headers 3" cat and catback and it fills alot better than stock or anything else. ka's love to breath dont believe me? look at this then
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=177055&highlight=ka%27s+love
Old 06-04-2008, 04:09 AM   #27
DohcKA
BANNED

DohcKA is close to perfectionDohcKA is close to perfectionDohcKA is close to perfectionDohcKA is close to perfectionDohcKA is close to perfectionDohcKA is close to perfectionDohcKA is close to perfectionDohcKA is close to perfectionDohcKA is close to perfectionDohcKA is close to perfectionDohcKA is close to perfection
sell your exhaust.... dump it into something more worth your money at the time.... stop fart canning down the street
Old 06-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #28
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
What a whole thread of fail.

Backpressure is something some fool made up 60 years ago and people still swear by it. An engine does NOT need backpressure, period. You want to get all the exhaust air out as quick as possible to avoid creating backpressure, which chokes down the engine. A very small amount of lowend torque is lost due to the added flow, but it's hardly noticeable even on paper. There has been TONS of dyno graphs shown for nearly 20 years proving that the bigger the exhaust you have on a KA, the more power you make. Done.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 06-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #29
GeneStarWindGSW
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (21)
GeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
What a whole thread of fail.

Backpressure is something some fool made up 60 years ago and people still swear by it. An engine does NOT need backpressure, period. You want to get all the exhaust air out as quick as possible to avoid creating backpressure, which chokes down the engine. A very small amount of lowend torque is lost due to the added flow, but it's hardly noticeable even on paper. There has been TONS of dyno graphs shown for nearly 20 years proving that the bigger the exhaust you have on a KA, the more power you make. Done.
Yea i have a custom 6" exhaust.

I just keep on gaining that power
Old 06-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #30
GeneStarWindGSW
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (21)
GeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Wow guy can't make a joke w/o getting a neg rep? wack ass Z people

well i have a 3" BC Spec II on my N/A KA

Closed Thread