Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
JDM UP's
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
JDM UP's is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Drift tax???

Why does this happen...

I have been building cars since I was 16 I now am 30. And in most cases within the past 4 years I have seen 240's that are nice but way way above their value???

For instance I just viewed a 97 s14 SE with low mileage but its bone stock looks nice in the pictures but the dood is asking 11.5k for it.

Say whaaa? Am I missing as to why there is so much cash padding???

Im sorry, I get that its a little tough to find a super super clean 40 but man KBB says its worth 7.6k at its best I would be nice and give the guy 8.6k.

This is why I enjoy looking for the ederly man or woman that is selling it for what its worth.

If anyone wants to throw in some input please do
And remember keep this thread clean please, this is not the place to argue...only discuss.
JDM UP's is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
ktm47
Zilvia Member

ktm47 is an unknown quantity at this point
the reason is idiots. The guy who posted the car you are talking about posts some very humorous stuff you should actually go search his posts you will not be disappointed
ktm47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
JDM UP's
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm47 View Post
the reason is idiots. The guy who posted the car you are talking about posts some very humorous stuff you should actually go search his posts you will not be disappointed
Lol thank you for letting me know that I am not crazy
Drift taxed padded prices disappoint me
Old 07-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Drift tax is long gone you dumb asses.

That shit happen in 2005 when Granny's 1992 Coupe was going for $3,100 with 80k miles on it and suddenly was worth $6k.

Prices you see today is what is reflective of the fact that these cars have been neglected, abused, wrecked, crashed, swapped and rusted out for nearly 25 years.

With everyone acting like they're disposable diapers to be thrown into a concrete wall, it's just a matter of time before you see one of two things -

Expensive, well built, well maintained cars - and cars that are going to cost a fortune to restore.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
It'll be 2030 with like 10,000 240's left on earth and people will still blame drift tax, lmao.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
Bmxer300zx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Bmxer300zx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That's why you buy a 240sx bone stock form for a "ridiculous" price and hide it away till your 60 just maintain it. After every 240sx on earth is crashed into a tree, rotted out, cliff jumped, turned into a hellaflush belly monster til subframe rips off your "bone stock" 240sx will have a "whatever the fuck amount I want" price tag.
Drift tax is a 240sx with stock motor, cut springs or racelands, fart can or cut off exhaust, welded diff and maybe half spray painted and asking $4/5k.
A unmolested 240sx same year low miles, otherwise "clean" at same price isn't drift tax It's my car is clean so "whatever the fuck amount I want price tag" lol
Just look around you can find decent cheap ones once and a while just gota sift through the dorifto ex honda kids and glue sniffers.
Bmxer300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:01 AM   #7
mantas
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
mantas is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxer300zx View Post
That's why you buy a 240sx bone stock form for a "ridiculous" price and hide it away till your 60 just maintain it. After every 240sx on earth is crashed into a tree, rotted out, cliff jumped, turned into a hellaflush belly monster til subframe rips off your "bone stock" 240sx will have a "whatever the fuck amount I want" price tag.
Drift tax is a 240sx with stock motor, cut springs or racelands, fart can or cut off exhaust, welded diff and maybe half spray painted and asking $4/5k.
A unmolested 240sx same year low miles, otherwise "clean" at same price isn't drift tax It's my car is clean so "whatever the fuck amount I want price tag" lol
Just look around you can find decent cheap ones once and a while just gota sift through the dorifto ex honda kids and glue sniffers.
That is the best summary of how things work around zilvialand. Glue sniffers - lmao. I thought of Charlie sniffing glue in the show "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" lmao!!!
mantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:17 AM   #8
FORZA MILAN0
Leaky Injector

FORZA MILAN0 is an unknown quantity at this point
not drift tax..... supply and demand.
FORZA MILAN0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:43 AM   #9
jamg
Nissanaholic!

jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
the drift tax is real. people still want way too much money for their JUNK.

once the 240 fad dies out, the next affordable sub 5000 car will be next. maybe a 350z.
jamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #10
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamg View Post
the drift tax is real. people still want way too much money for their JUNK.

once the 240 fad dies out, the next affordable sub 5000 car will be next. maybe a 350z.
Fads dont last 15 years.

The popularity will due down as cars become hard to get and expensive - like a AE86 or 240Z.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
JDM UP's
Zilvia Member

Value is value when you are talking about a 140hp stock beat down to 110hp multi colored 240sx with no AC and rust all over it with Cheese burger wrappers on the floor board lol.

Seems the wind is blowing the oposit way with the fumes

Though I can understand paying a little bit more for a super clean one.

-Much love
Old 07-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #12
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
As long as there are people willing to pay it, sellers will continue to overinflate the value of their cars and get away with it.

I have no sympathy for idiots who pay more than a raggety, rusted out POS car is worth so they can join the 240 club... when they can find one rust-free down south (or elsewhere), fly out, pick it up and drive it home for far less than the douchebag seller was asking for said rusty POS in the first place. Or just hold out for a properly priced POS to drift into oblivion lol.

Too many people decide they want one (becauseracecar), then patience goes out the window and they pay way too much for a shitty 240 so they can have one NOW vs. wait for a more reasonable deal on a clean car to come along...

Don't get me wrong- I fully see the 'drift tax' being added for a fully built, rust free car packed with quality parts... say if the S14 from post #1 were a well built, tuned SR/RB/LS/1J/2J/VQ etc swap on good suspension, brakes, body, interior etc... But if it were all that and a bag of chips; the seller would be MUCH better off parting it out and selling the shell rolling on doughnuts, no brakes and junkyard suspension.

When I bought my 240, it was in fair... MAYBE good condish and I gave the guy $2000 for the car and for holding onto it for me- Which was about $500-600 too much. BUT it was RUST FREE with a straight chassis; and made the drive from Dallas to St. Louis. The rest is history... and fixing PO's ghetto-tastic mods in the early stages of my build made me very glad I didn't overpay by too much. <<THIS can be a real mutherfucker... Fixing a bunch of shit after paying out the ass for an alleged 'awesome car' lol

Bottom line- If you have one in good condish- keep it like BMXer said... Doesn't matter if fully built, or bone stock. They key is CLEAN and properly built/maintained. Hell, if you have the facilities; buy 10 clean ones and sit on them for 20-30yrs... Collectors will come out of the woodwork to get their hands on them when/if they hit the market.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
cchondro
Zilvia Junkie

cchondro is an unknown quantity at this point
Heck I bought my shell stock suspension,brakes, full interior in good condition, only problem was janky fenders for 500$
It had a SR in it but the turbo had a oil leak and he wanted 1300 for it.

You just got to look around and be patient.

My girl bought her coupe for 1600$ and it needed a little bit of love on the interior but besides that it was flawless.

Just be patient.
cchondro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
JDM UP's
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchondro View Post
Heck I bought my shell stock suspension,brakes, full interior in good condition, only problem was janky fenders for 500$
It had a SR in it but the turbo had a oil leak and he wanted 1300 for it.

You just got to look around and be patient.

My girl bought her coupe for 1600$ and it needed a little bit of love on the interior but besides that it was flawless.

Just be patient.
See and I agree! Well said both of you.

Another example my GTO 240 Coupe. Bought it bone stock with 101k miles no rust everything working for 2k two years ago. I was patient.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #15
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
I bought a stock, unmolested, never drifted S13 for 1200. Body was a little rough, but honestly I feel I got a good deal on it.

What I don't get, there is a guy on CL selling a blue SR Hatch for $18000. That's drift tax. In reality, it's probably worth 6000, maybe less. It pisses me off.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #16
jamg
Nissanaholic!

jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Fads dont last 15 years.

The popularity will due down as cars become hard to get and expensive - like a AE86 or 240Z.
it's a car though.. it will run it's cycle.

you can't really find a clean stock 86 or 240Z
jamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #17
JDM UP's
Zilvia Member

Quote:

yea ill agree with this. they are the same. you are forced to raise it from the dead lol
Old 07-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #18
OutlawLui
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
OutlawLui is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
I bought a stock, unmolested, never drifted S13 for 1200. Body was a little rough, but honestly I feel I got a good deal on it.

What I don't get, there is a guy on CL selling a blue SR Hatch for $18000. That's drift tax. In reality, it's probably worth 6000, maybe less. It pisses me off.
That car is for sale on here too...

http://zilvia.net/f/cars-sale/529549...s13-240sx.html
Old 07-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #19
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpanamajack View Post
That car is for sale on here too...

http://zilvia.net/f/cars-sale/529549...s13-240sx.html
That's the one... It's nice but NO ONE will pay 18k for that.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #20
Scope240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
Scope240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
you wanna see TAX!?!?!?!?!?!?

I'll show you "DRIFT TAX JDM TYT3 5H17"!!!!

Cars for Sale: 1987 Toyota Corolla GT-S Coupe in Canton, OH 44708: Coupe Details - 339911214 - AutoTrader.com

what do guys think about this? LOL
Scope240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #21
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
As long as there are people willing to pay it, sellers will continue to overinflate the value of their cars and get away with it.
How is it over inflated if people are willing to pay it? I swear, 240sx fans are the biggest bunch of crying broke asses in the world.

Quote:
I have no sympathy for idiots who pay more than a raggety, rusted out POS car is worth so they can join the 240 club... when they can find one rust-free down south (or elsewhere), fly out, pick it up and drive it home for far less than the douchebag seller was asking for said rusty POS in the first place. Or just hold out for a properly priced POS to drift into oblivion lol.
OMFG - who would ever pay $5,000 for this POS

Quote:
Too many people decide they want one (becauseracecar), then patience goes out the window and they pay way too much for a shitty 240 so they can have one NOW vs. wait for a more reasonable deal on a clean car to come along...
Welcome to reality. You mean like how people run out and wait in lines for days to buy a new iPhone but like had they waited a few weeks there would have been no line... or like waited a few months the price would have dropped or they could have got the one with updated features?

Quote:
Don't get me wrong- I fully see the 'drift tax' being added for a fully built, rust free car packed with quality parts... say if the S14 from post #1 were a well built, tuned SR/RB/LS/1J/2J/VQ etc swap on good suspension, brakes, body, interior etc... But if it were all that and a bag of chips; the seller would be MUCH better off parting it out and selling the shell rolling on doughnuts, no brakes and junkyard suspension.
It's not a "Drift Tax" because it's built. Thats called "there is serious fucking time, money and labor" into the car. You will not replicate these built cars for many times even double what the seller is asking for.

Quote:
When I bought my 240, it was in fair... MAYBE good condish and I gave the guy $2000 for the car and for holding onto it for me- Which was about $500-600 too much. BUT it was RUST FREE with a straight chassis; and made the drive from Dallas to St. Louis. The rest is history... and fixing PO's ghetto-tastic mods in the early stages of my build made me very glad I didn't overpay by too much. <<THIS can be a real mutherfucker... Fixing a bunch of shit after paying out the ass for an alleged 'awesome car' lol
When I was a kid you could get a brand new Pontiac GTO for just $3,200... and we walked up hill to school both ways and a movie was $0.25... and music wasn't all this beep-boop woogy boogy garbage...

Quote:
Bottom line- If you have one in good condish- keep it like BMXer said... Doesn't matter if fully built, or bone stock. They key is CLEAN and properly built/maintained. Hell, if you have the facilities; buy 10 clean ones and sit on them for 20-30yrs... Collectors will come out of the woodwork to get their hands on them when/if they hit the market.
Sorry bro, you won't be wheeling 240sx's out at Barrette Jackson and collecting $300,000 in 20 years. Owners are broke cheap asses now, they'll be broke cheap asses in 20 years.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #22
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM UP's View Post
See and I agree! Well said both of you.

Another example my GTO 240 Coupe. Bought it bone stock with 101k miles no rust everything working for 2k two years ago. I was patient.
]
I'll give you $5,000 cash - it's just a fucking 240 man. Asshole thinks his shits worth money cause it's a fucking race car. gOD DMAN DRIVT TAX!@
Old 07-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #23
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:

Sure you can... the question is how much are you willing to pay. I'm sorry the world doesn't revolve around what you personally can afford or think is reasonable.

You can still find mint condition, unrestored all original 60's Camaros. I'm sure you'll say "OMFG you can buy like 3 new ones for that" after seeing the price however.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #24
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
How do you figure?
Old 07-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #25
cchondro
Zilvia Junkie

cchondro is an unknown quantity at this point
Dang corbic........
Going on a man hunt huh

cchondro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #26
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Stealth brag "Look how cheap I picked this up" thread confirmed...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #27
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
How is it over inflated if people are willing to pay it?
Ever heard of Bluebook? It's this really sweet tool that estimates fair market (retail, private part & trade-in) value of most cars on or off the road. Long story short, as long as people pay more than a car is worth, happily or not... sellers will continue to overinflate the price. This is not a new concept- It's called capitalism and I'm pretty sure it's been around a while.

Quote:
I swear, 240sx fans are the biggest bunch of crying broke asses in the world.
A lot of 240 owners are kids between 18 and well- YOUR AGE... And a lot of them put every penny they can into their 240's... strap cheap Chinese & knockoff parts onto them to get every ounce of anything they can to be a bit faster, more agile, look cool etc... I wouldn't necessarily refer to them as crying broke-asses; so much as guys & gals on budgets that do whatever they can to stay active in something they love to do. To boot, I'd bet that a good bunch of those very same people payed too much for their 240's as well; but didn't didn't piss & moan about it- just accepted the 'Drift Tax' and are okay with it.

Quote:

OMFG - who would ever pay $5,000 for this POS

Plenty of people... a very small percentage of the populous; but plenty nonetheless. Depends on the market for that kind of car (see capitalism statement above)...

Quote:
Welcome to reality. You mean like how people run out and wait in lines for days to buy a new iPhone but like had they waited a few weeks there would have been no line... or like waited a few months the price would have dropped or they could have got the one with updated features?
No, that's not what I'm talking about moron. 240's aren't the 'newest latest greatest toy' on the market last time I checked. Swing and a miss~

Quote:
It's not a "Drift Tax" because it's built. Thats called "there is serious fucking time, money and labor" into the car. You will not replicate these built cars for many times even double what the seller is asking for.
^^This^^ coming from the guy who said:

Quote:
I'll give you $5,000 cash - it's just a fucking 240 man. Asshole thinks his shits worth money cause it's a fucking race car.
Welcome to reality! Lots of money, time & labor go into a built car... Thank you for pointing that out, Captain Obvious! Those of us who HAVE built cars are aware; but thanks for looking out

Quote:
Sorry bro, you won't be wheeling 240sx's out at Barrette Jackson and collecting $300,000 in 20 years. Owners are broke cheap asses now, they'll be broke cheap asses in 20 years.
Holy shit you're stupid AND clairvoyant??? That's gotta be tough...

OP: Apologize for arguing... Please continue discussing.

Last edited by Mikester; 07-30-2013 at 09:08 AM..
Mikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #28
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Corbic and Mikester are absolutely correct about the time, labor and parts for a fully built racecar. In Addition, people quickly ignore how much the damn equipment cost to execute such builds. If someone wants to get a true cost of building a PROPER track car, price a MIG welder, TIG welder, Plasma torch, Media Blaster, sheetmetal bender/cutter, press, misc specialty tools == $$$$$$$$$$.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #29
TougeLove
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
TougeLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
supply and demand.

when drifting became mainstream, everyone wanted a rwd car. You would be an idiot not to list your car for more because it fits a specific need. forget kbb, nada, etc. Those are suggested prices that don't include what people are actually paying for them.

you could make the same argument for subaru. why are the resell values so high? because they satisfy a specific need and have a lot to offer. or people can be idiots and call it rally tax.

NOW if you are talking about actual race car drift tax. GTFO. like everyone said, if you have to question why a D1 prepped chassis cost so much, go back to need for speed 2 and enjoy the sport from the grandstands. this shit isnt for everyone.
TougeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #30
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

^^Absolutely agree, TougeLove...^^

On that note, there needs to be an element of common sense... Paying a little more for something is fine... because there is an obvious demand... but when a guy dumps 5-6 grand into a ratty S-chassis, then tries to charge 10-11 for it- that's just plain ridiculous- I give not a single fuck how much 'time' went into it.