Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:15 PM   #1
guitardave06

Trader Rating: (0)
guitardave06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to guitardave06 Send a message via AIM to guitardave06 Send a message via MSN to guitardave06 Send a message via Yahoo to guitardave06
SR20 won't start! Halp!

So I just bought an S13 with an SR. It was running fine and made the 140 roundtrip drive to work for almost a week, just fine. Well after getting back into town yesterday, it was running fine when I pulled into the car wash. After I washed it (self serve car wash), I started it and it began to run on only or 2 cylinders. I figured something just got wet so I turned it off and popped the hood to try and figure it out. I did everything I could with the resources that I had, then called one of my buddies because I couldn't figure it out. He messed with it a bit trying to figure out what was wrong by process of elimination. We eventually got it towed to a busy of our as shop. We liked at it tonight and tried/did a few different things. Switching out the ecu, changing spark plugs, checking the CAS, checking spark, regrounding the battery and motor, checked for fuel delivery, checked the ignitor/ignition but still no luck.

We are short of at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys!
guitardave06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2016, 12:51 AM   #2
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
what were the results of the spark test? Do all cylinders spark?

Do a compression test,
check the fuel pressure,
check for spark on all cylinders,

spark/fuel/air should cover it
Old 11-12-2016, 04:39 AM   #3
guitardave06

Trader Rating: (0)
guitardave06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to guitardave06 Send a message via AIM to guitardave06 Send a message via MSN to guitardave06 Send a message via Yahoo to guitardave06
Spark is good, as well as the fuel pressure. Haven't done a compression test yet, but we will probably check that when I get off of work. Would bad compression on one or more cylinders cause it not to start? When I blew rings on my KA-T it started but smoked really bad.
guitardave06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Bad compression in one cylinder will not cause the engine to not start it would have to be all cylinders or zero compression.
Sure there's probably a combo but either way you still wont start.

Spark, Timing, air, fuel and compression.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:53 AM   #5
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
^^^ exactly what Mr. Cotbu has mentioned
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote