Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-18-2015, 05:06 PM   #991
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboyizmlg View Post
That was with pump gas, AND Meth injection right?
Yes, but I was only using it as a safety against detonation, I never altered my AFR or timing to accomodate it. I was running a standard off the shelf JWT tune.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #992
Jorgs_7
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Jorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
There is an entire thread of how to pull it off, called the 2871r owners thread. The thing is that thread has been so cluttered for yeras that it's hard to say where it's all gone.

The basic cookbook recipie of success however is:

JWT or Enthalpy ECU
GT2871r or GTX2867r (in .64 housing for both IMO is the better setup)
JWT S3 or S4 cams
OEM turbo manifold with Honing
Greddy (or freddy, sigh) Intake Manifold
Quality Intercooler (Read: Greddy RSPL)
Pump gas/20 psi.

Now engine wise we can forver debate what is best. I think we all can agree (know better) than trusting that setup on a stock engine. Sure will 1 or 2 guys never have an issue? Sure. I went a while until popping an injector gromet up and leaning it out. The safe bet though is to put a set of forged (CP) pistons (stock rods IMO are totally fine for sub 500whp) and a Quality (Apexi, Cosworth) headgasket and some ARP or Mazworx head studs.

It's a simple setup for sure, a little costly, but nothing more than blowing up stock junk twice anymore. WHen I set the car up, SR parts weren't the easiest to find, so you had to make it last.

My engine is still around, and I'd argue sees THE MOST road race time of anyone on Zilvia that can still drive their junk on the street(ok there may be 1 or maybe 2 that have more) and I've never had any issue. Quality parts will last.

The biggest issue IMO of the setup is everyone wants to skip a corner, or try something different...which is fine, but then people begin to forget that these setups can make awesome power...just not with an ISIS 2871r, or small cams, or with similar 'not the same' type builds. The setup I have works, and has worked for almost a decade...yet nothing has come out to really impress me enough to change the entire deal over. Sure VVL heads and that technology is aweseome, but I'm not spinning to 9500 rpm, and i only have a T2 turbo. If I was reallyy going to make a full out max setup I'd have a GTX30, and a wild VVL, but that's not streetable fun to me...

This is fantastic.

Thank you much for clarifying the "grey" areas thats floated around.

I guess we'll see how long stock pistons last.
Jorgs_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:45 PM   #993
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Mine lasted 2 track days at 400whp. Plus a few more days of fun around town.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:42 PM   #994
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
That was with pump gas, AND Meth injection right?
No meth on my run, but I do have it for a safety factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgs_7 View Post
This is fantastic.

Thank you much for clarifying the "grey" areas thats floated around.

I guess we'll see how long stock pistons last.
There are guys that ran some for a LONG time. Steve K(shadows) had some good success on two cars IIRC. Some other OG guys too. Seems like most of those cars/setups have all moved on though, so it' shard to say how long it lasts.

These small turbo setups are just awesome. 120mph traps, track monsters, street sweepers...it takes one hell of a setup to really run them down!

I'd love to see what a superlight s13, maybe 2200/2300 lbs with a smaller GTX-RS sorta setup would do with a 4.9 final drive if it could find traction...it would undoubtedly be a high ten second car with a basic punch you in the throat mid range. Yum!

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:55 PM   #995
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
No meth on my run, but I do have it for a safety factor

There are guys that ran some for a LONG time. Steve K(shadows) had some good success on two cars IIRC. Some other OG guys too. Seems like most of those cars/setups have all moved on though, so it' shard to say how long it lasts.

These small turbo setups are just awesome. 120mph traps, track monsters, street sweepers...it takes one hell of a setup to really run them down!

I'd love to see what a superlight s13, maybe 2200/2300 lbs with a smaller GTX-RS sorta setup would do with a 4.9 final drive if it could find traction...it would undoubtedly be a high ten second car with a basic punch you in the throat mid range. Yum!
Even better when tuned on E85, and some higher comp pistons. I think the gtx2863 would be an extremely fun car to drive!

Not sure what kind of 1/4 times a "legit" driver can trap. I'm no expert in drag racing, but I think that would be an awesome set up.
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:17 PM   #996
Jorgs_7
Zilvia Junkie

Jorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really nice
Does anyone have a solution to the compressor "elbow" issue when using the GTX2867r? (assuming the intercooler kit isnt full custom)

Because they dont have the bolt on style, like the regular T28 turbochargers.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #997
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Weld on cast elbow is what most people use I'd think.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #998
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I'm just using a silicon elbow coming out vertically which goes right to my hotpipe (redtop/t25 style) with no modification.

Simple as possible.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:20 PM   #999
RurouniMidnight
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
RurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Does anyone have a solution to the compressor "elbow" issue when using the GTX2867r? (assuming the intercooler kit isnt full custom)

They do offer the stock style bolt on compressor housing when ordering new, otherwise just a 90 degree 2" coupler should work to connect hotpipe.

http://nightparade.wordpress.com/

Join in on instagram @nightparade
RurouniMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:17 AM   #1000
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Not sure what kind of 1/4 times a "legit" driver can trap. I'm no expert in drag racing, but I think that would be an awesome set up.
Trap speed is indicative of power, not so much ability. A 350-400whp s13 should be just into the 10's at that weight with a drag setup for sure.

Quote:

Nothing custom at all. 90* 3" sillicone coupler off the inlet, and then mated to a 45* bent 3" tube that you trim to size (to filter, or to maf etc etc). THis clears all of the 'traditional' style hotside intercooler pipes.

On my personal car I was able to combine it to fit with a Cobra Maf and JWT popcharger as well, so i know there is room.

WIth that said, I'd never opt for the smaller inlet/stock style inlet. 3" or go home!

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 10-24-2015, 07:20 AM   #1001
codyace
Post Whore!

Not the best pictures, and she's dirty, but it may help give the idea

Old 10-26-2015, 06:36 AM   #1002
Jorgs_7
Zilvia Junkie

^ Now THAT, is a strut tower brace.

Is everyones compressor inlet piping some off-the-shelf 3" bends and coupler?
Old 11-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #1003
fatduece
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
fatduece is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What size oil restrictor do we need for this turbo? Or is the internal restrictor enough?
fatduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:52 PM   #1004
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Well, it's been fun dudes. But I'm stepping out of the GTX2867R world. 420whp was great, but upgrades are required. Full part out soon.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:03 PM   #1005
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
What are your plans? Are you sticking with the SR?
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:46 PM   #1006
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
What are your plans? Are you sticking with the SR?
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?p...04#post5977504

Nah, JZ.

But let me know if anyone wants a full drop in kit, with all fab work done. Selling as complete.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:02 PM   #1007
RurouniMidnight
Zilvia FREAK!

RurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to all
Yaaaay very happy and excited that i finally get to join the GTX turbo family. I sold my .52 trim gt2871 that served me well for over a year and picked up a gtx2867. Also it will be going on a new SR that is fully built and will be using e85 on. The motor will be in and running about 2 weeks from now. Looking forward to it, should be fun ;^)

Old 01-12-2016, 03:31 PM   #1008
RurouniMidnight
Zilvia FREAK!

I was able to get my motor in the car this past weekend and fire it up. Now to drive around and break it in then hopefully i can get on the dyno and see what kind of numbers it puts down ;p

Old 01-12-2016, 04:10 PM   #1009
Rb26kouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (63)
Rb26kouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RurouniMidnight View Post
I was able to get my motor in the car this past weekend and fire it up. Now to drive around and break it in then hopefully i can get on the dyno and see what kind of numbers it puts down ;p

What cams will you be running
Rb26kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:14 PM   #1010
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Good stuff!

One word of warning/advice though:

Get some heat wrap around that black fabric line stuff. It doens't like super high heat areas in my experience.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:19 PM   #1011
RurouniMidnight
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb26kouki View Post
What cams will you be running
Running tomei poncams

Quote:
Good stuff!

One word of warning/advice though:

Get some heat wrap around that black fabric line stuff. It doens't like super high heat areas in my experience.
Will do, thanks man!

Old 01-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #1012
Rb26kouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Anyone running this turbo on a KA ?
Old 01-12-2016, 07:08 PM   #1013
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Running tomei poncams

Will do, thanks man!
It's one of those things that 'shouldn't happen' but it does happen on cars that get beat on pretty good. Sucks as the black hose looks 100x better! I ended up getting the black fire hose stuff from DEI and haven't ever looked back as it works so well.

Quote:
Anyone running this turbo on a KA ?
I'd be curious to this as well

Old 01-13-2016, 05:34 AM   #1014
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
I would not hold my breath on a KA, the exhaust turbine is on the small side for a 2.4L engine. It will be better than a T25 of course but... meh. I think a gtx30 would be much better suited (or gtx35 for serious ooomph)
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:21 AM   #1015
Rb26kouki
Zilvia FREAK!

New Garrett GTX2867r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
I would not hold my breath on a KA, the exhaust turbine is on the small side for a 2.4L engine. It will be better than a T25 of course but... meh. I think a gtx30 would be much better suited (or gtx35 for serious ooomph)

We will see how it does I will do it within the next couple weeks
Old 01-13-2016, 10:23 AM   #1016
Rb26kouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Built KA24DE (forged)

Gtx2867r .64
Tial mvs
Sard 850cc
JWT S1 cams
JWT ECU
Lighting MAF

Will update soon
Old 01-13-2016, 10:51 AM   #1017
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
That extra displacement is somewhat offset by how poorly the head flows compared to a S14SR for instance, so who knows. It may have similar results to the SR (or it may not)
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:35 PM   #1018
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Built KA24DE (forged)

Gtx2867r .64
Tial mvs
Sard 850cc
JWT S1 cams
JWT ECU
Lighting MAF

Will update soon
I can't wait man! That will be an awesome setup!!!!!

Old 01-13-2016, 09:19 PM   #1019
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
That extra displacement is somewhat offset by how poorly the head flows compared to a S14SR for instance, so who knows. It may have similar results to the SR (or it may not)
Do you have any data to support this? (Not trying to start a KA/SR debate)
Old 01-13-2016, 09:29 PM   #1020
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Arrow

Quote:
Built KA24DE (forged)

Gtx2867r .64
Tial mvs
Sard 850cc
JWT S1 cams
JWT ECU
Lighting MAF

Will update soon
That set up is going to suck!

Sell me that turbo, and get yourself the 3071!
Lol, just messing man, let me know when you get tired of running that turbo.
I'll be the first in line to buy it.
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote