Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #331
rb26drifter

Trader Rating: (0)
rb26drifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I got custom box with 2 rockford fosgate punch1's with rockford 800 watt amp
rb26drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #332
Trap Star
Zilvia Junkie

Trap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Trap Star
Not the best set up in the world but it works fine for me. I need to figure out how to mount the Infinity's in the front doors. I also found out the hard way that my trunk has a small leak. Fucked up everything Probably going to end up going with a fiberglass set up for the amp rack so I can get a better fit in the spare tire well. Not sure if I want to keep the same style sub box as the sub has just enough room for full excursion. Like literally millimeters. I'm open to suggestions on both if anyone has any. I would also like to upgrade from the kenwood for my components.

Parts List
Alpine CDA-105 Headunit (w/Ipod integration)
6.5" Infinity Kappa Perfect Component Speakers (front doors)
6.5" Alpine Type-S Component Speakers (rear deck)
Kenwood 7201 Amplifier (component speakers)
JL Audio 12" W6v2 Subwoofer
JL Audio 500/1 Amplifier

I never even got to carpet everything

Amps, before I ran any wires. As you can see this is not the best way to have them mounted.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #333
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
what I have in the CRV, there is a plastic table that goes over the top and the oem carpet that goes over that, so these are perfectly hidden

and yes they are wired up, the blue wire you see in the pic is for the sub
dudermagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #334
Trap Star
Zilvia Junkie

Trap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant future
What method did you use to secure your amp rack?
Old 09-09-2011, 11:33 PM   #335
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:37 PM   #336
DeanGrind
Leaky Injector

DeanGrind is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DeanGrind Send a message via MSN to DeanGrind
Blah, my old S14 got ran over and my new one sounds like a tin can lol

I got my eyes on the Pioneer SPH-DA01 headunit, and some memphis speakers for the doors..

My friend has a 10" kicker L7 and some old kicker amp he might sell to me.. but... I'm sure how I feel about the L7's though, anybody got any imput?
DeanGrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:21 AM   #337
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
10" L7's are fantastic for SPL in smallish enclosures. SQ isn't fantastic, but none of the JL/Kicker/Rockford stuff sounds anywhere near good.

Great door prep will make a decent speaker sound great. No door prep will make a fantastic speaker sound like shit. Since 80% of your music comes from your front components, prep your doors.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:29 AM   #338
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Star View Post
I need to figure out how to mount the Infinity's in the front doors. Probably going to end up going with a fiberglass set up for the amp rack so I can get a better fit in the spare tire well. Not sure if I want to keep the same style sub box as the sub has just enough room for full excursion. Like literally millimeters. I'm open to suggestions on both if anyone has any. I would also like to upgrade from the kenwood for my components.
How are you struggling with the front doors? Also make sure you use sound deadening to seal off all of the access holes on the door. You will achieve much better mid-bass by insuring that the front waves do not interact with the back waves of the speaker. Not to mention it will cut down on rattles and resonation.

As for the sub, maybe sell that thing and buy a couple 8's, 10's or a single 10". You could then slide the box up under the rear deck behind the rear seat and fire them back... because firing that thing up into the trunk like you have it is the worst way. You could have so much better bass with your exact setup if it just wasn't firing up. You would probably have better bass response with a 10" loaded correctly than that 12" loaded incorrectly. You may want to check out the new Hybrid Audio 8" and 10" Imagine series subs coming out. They should easily be the best sub on the market in their respective price range. Let me know if you want more info or pricing.

As for upgrading your amplifier, I have been thoroughly impressed with the new ARC Audio XDi series amplifiers. A decent amount of power, in an ULTRA small chassis, at a super friendly price for what you are getting. Very nice build quality and good sound quality. I use their SE series in competition vehicles, but I'm pretty sure you do not want to spend $1300+ on a single amplifier. Believe it or not, the XDi 5-channel would actually give you more power to your components and almost the same to your subs in a chassis that is only 11.25"x6.5"x2.25". The 4 channels would bridge down to 2 x 240 watts and the 5th channel is 400 watts at 2-ohm. I'm assuming you would just keep your Slash series though and buy the 4-channel XDi-804, bridge that down to 2 channels and have 2 x 240 watts... chassis size: 8.125"x6.5"x2.25". The sound quality is good and on par with a JL Audio Slash series. Keep in mind this is ARC's entry level amplifier and it's competing with JL's best amplifier. It will definitely have better sound quality than the Kenwood that you have. You can find a tad bit of info here:

Arc Audio - XDi Amplifiers

Unfortunately they have not updated their actual site with the XDi series yet. Please let me know if you have any questions at all and/or if you need pricing on the ARC or Hybrid Audio gear.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #339
Trap Star
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks for the response man, its nice to see there are still some knowledgeable and helpful people out there. I'll definitely check out everything you've mentioned. Fitting smaller subs and only having one amp would definitely be nice. I'd like to be able to have some room for storage in my trunk since I drive from Atlanta to Florida several times a year. I've been away from the audio stuff for a little while now and it looks like I've got some catching up to do.

Edit: The problem I'm having with my doors is finding a spot to mount the crossovers. There really isn't any space for them behind the door panels.

Last edited by Trap Star; 09-12-2011 at 11:10 AM..
Trap Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:51 AM   #340
brandonb2124
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
brandonb2124 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have no knowledge in speakers or anything but i want some new speakers and a sub and amp. Can some give me a basic set up so i can get good sound but not extremely expensive? I know this is vague but black friday is coming up so alot of this stuff on sale...
brandonb2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:07 AM   #341
qwerth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (25)
qwerth is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
anyone have any experience with the infinity basslink? seems pretty cheap and worth it
qwerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:20 AM   #342
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

NoPistons! is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
10" L7's are fantastic for SPL in smallish enclosures. SQ isn't fantastic, but none of the JL/Kicker/Rockford stuff sounds anywhere near good.

Great door prep will make a decent speaker sound great. No door prep will make a fantastic speaker sound like shit. Since 80% of your music comes from your front components, prep your doors.

I agree with this. Back in highschool when i used to drag here....i mean, back in highschool when we all used to sit in the library and religiously read through super street, ride magazine, thrasher and CRUTCHFIELD they did sell these cool rubber things you put your door speakers in and then you install the whole thing in the door. It's like a box that isolates the sound from inside of the door and lets the speaker do it's job.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:19 AM   #343
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPistons! View Post
they did sell these cool rubber things you put your door speakers in and then you install the whole thing in the door. It's like a box that isolates the sound from inside of the door and lets the speaker do it's job.
That is the worst possible thing you could do to a speaker... aside from not having it hooked up at all. Actually I would rather not have it hooked up at all than have it in one of those foam baffles. Automotive speakers are designed to use the entire door as it's enclosure. So using those baffles will only choke it off, thus preventing any mid-bass output. Some of your really good speakers, and I don't mean JL Audio/Alpine/Rockford/Infinity crap, I'm talking about something like Hybrid Audio... are IB(infinite baffle). So the bigger the enclosure the better. It would actually operate best if it used the entire outdoors as it's enclosure. The main thing you have to consider though is that you need to isolate the front waves from the back waves... so just sitting the speaker out on your driveway is going to do nothing. But if you had your house all shut up and cut a hole in the wall to the outside and mounted the speaker facing in... it would sound amazing. So this is why it's important to use sound deadening to seal up all of the access holes in your door when installing speakers. If I'm doing a competition level system with Hybrid speakers, and they are being mounted down in the kicks, l will actually vent that area out into the fender ares to take advantage of the airspace of the great outdoors.

This would be an example of sealing up all of the access holes in door. The square holes remaining are the holes where the door clips slide into to hold the door card onto the door:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerth View Post
anyone have any experience with the infinity basslink? seems pretty cheap and worth it
It is fairly cheap and compact, but it's not going to output much sub-bass. If you are looking for just a little fill, then it will suit you just fine. There is no replacement for a conventional subwoofer in some form of a conventional enclosure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonb2124 View Post
I have no knowledge in speakers or anything but i want some new speakers and a sub and amp. Can some give me a basic set up so i can get good sound but not extremely expensive? I know this is vague but black friday is coming up so alot of this stuff on sale...
What is your budget? PM me and I can set you up with the best possible system that is within your budget. I am always willing to work out a deal, Black Friday or not

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 11-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #344
CMFD13coupe

Trader Rating: (2)
CMFD13coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
2x JL W3V2 in Ported Box
600W Kenwood Amp
1.5F Cap
Unknown Kenwood Headunit
..... Stock blown components....

Upgrading to 6.5 JL components all the way around and possibly removing one sub so i can fit it in the trunk. Will to components sound good running from my HU or do you guys recommend getting an amp?

Tell me this isn't the stupidest thing you've ever seen lol
CMFD13coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #345
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMFD13coupe View Post
Upgrading to 6.5 JL components all the way around and possibly removing one sub so i can fit it in the trunk. Will to components sound good running from my HU or do you guys recommend getting an amp?
An amplifier is highly recommended, especially if the component set has an outboard x-over setup. The x-over eats up wattage and head units only have 18 watts RMS, at most, to begin with.

First of all I would NOT recommend JL Audio speakers... and I'm even a JL dealer. I would recommend Hybrid Audio for your speakers... slightly cheaper and WAY better. They are not even in the same ball park. Hybrid Audio actually has an entry level component(Imagine Series) set that does not have a power robbing x-over. It uses a simple cap on the tweeter and that's it. The reason they can do this and still sound correct is because the mid rolls off naturally and still maintains a flat, natural sounding frequency response. Not many mid's can do that "properly". It's no secret that the Imagine Series speakers perform as well as most other manufacturer's $500 sets of speakers... the Imagines retail for half of that. Hybrid also has the Mirius series which is half the price of the Imagine... but they do not offer it in a component. So you could always do those in the rear... or also the front if you are on a super tight budget. Please PM me if you need pricing on the speakers or an amplifier for that matter.

As for the amplifier, the speakers will always perform much better with an outboard amplifier. You will get better mid-bass response, better dynamics and more volume. But like I said, you can "get by" with head unit power if the speaker does not utilize an outboard x-over.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 11-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #346
zo0d
Zilvia Member

zo0d is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMFD13coupe View Post
2x JL W3V2 in Ported Box
600W Kenwood Amp
1.5F Cap
Unknown Kenwood Headunit
..... Stock blown components....

Tell me this isn't the stupidest thing you've ever seen lol

You're begging for your car to get broken into.

C'mon bra!
zo0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #347
Darren
Zilvia Addict

Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
An amplifier is highly recommended, especially if the component set has an outboard x-over setup. The x-over eats up wattage and head units only have 18 watts RMS, at most, to begin with.

As for the amplifier, the speakers will always perform much better with an outboard amplifier. You will get better mid-bass response, better dynamics and more volume. But like I said, you can "get by" with head unit power if the speaker does not utilize an outboard x-over.

A typical outboard amplifier is also a lot cleaner than the inboard amp, making even a 35 watt per channel amp feel more lively and powerful than the deck power.
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #348
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
This would be an example of sealing up all of the access holes in door. The square holes remaining are the holes where the door clips slide into to hold the door card onto the door:

for an s13 would you do the same or also line the inside? (behind glass)

just curious.
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #349
Shift n Drift
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
Shift n Drift has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
clarion 7" flip up
four kenwood components with the tweeters
rockford fosgate 900 watt mono block amp
two 12" alpine type E's in a bandpass box, in the back seat with seats removed
Shift n Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #350
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hOngsterr View Post
for an s13 would you do the same or also line the inside? (behind glass)

just curious.
That wouldn't make a difference in keeping the front and rear waves from interfering obviously, but it would help with resonation of the outer door skin.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 01-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #351
crozzover69
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
crozzover69 is making his/her stupidity well-knowncrozzover69 is making his/her stupidity well-knowncrozzover69 is making his/her stupidity well-knowncrozzover69 is making his/her stupidity well-knowncrozzover69 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just Installed my 6.5 kappa components up front and kappa 6x9 in the quarter panels. Nothing major just wanted clean sound with respectable bass.

I am using the Alpine MRP-F300.

I really like the clear sound and the deeper base compared to my 4x6's and even my older coaxial 6.5's. The 6x9 is mounted in a crevice where the quarter panels are and they are secure enough. (In Homer Simpson voice) I'm not some fancy, big-city audiophile so I don't know a ton about in-vehicle sound acoustics (I did work in Magnolia Hometheater for 2 years though haha). I did however use Mr. Broadfield's prior advice to block as many holes in the door panel worked like a charm! That is where my components are. The rear quater panels sound great and like I said they are pretty secure and don't rattle either.

Thanks foor looking. And thanks for the inspiration everyone

crozzover69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #352
Purestock240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (8)
Purestock240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
currently have a 12" 1300w sony sub in my xterra with a 600w sony amp in a box that occupies most of the cargo space in my Xterra, also a realllly nice single din deck, forget if its pioneer or sony, stock speakers rest of the way around,
doesnt sound that good but for $120 for amp, sub and box, a free deck and wires i can't really complain
Purestock240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #353
indytrucks
Leaky Injector

indytrucks is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I have nothing in my S14 yet (just bought it) but my E36 had:
DCT-100 HU
JBK MS8
2 Boston GT5750's
1 GT2300
2 1508's in a horn.
Hybrid Legatia L841-3 Pro's
And some electrical upgrades.

My Jeep TJ aint got jack squat.

My Jeep JK unlimited has:
Pio. AVIC- D3
Obsidian 12" D4 woofer.
Cadence ZRS C65
All stock speakers.

I plan on doing some stuff in this S14 too. I have plans, I'll share when I get around to doing it.
indytrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #354
Conrad 2NR
Zilvia Member

Conrad 2NR is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by crozzover69 View Post
Just Installed my 6.5 kappa components up front and kappa 6x9 in the quarter panels. Nothing major just wanted clean sound with respectable bass.

I am using the Alpine MRP-F300.

I really like the clear sound and the deeper base compared to my 4x6's and even my older coaxial 6.5's. The 6x9 is mounted in a crevice where the quarter panels are and they are secure enough. (In Homer Simpson voice) I'm not some fancy, big-city audiophile so I don't know a ton about in-vehicle sound acoustics (I did work in Magnolia Hometheater for 2 years though haha). I did however use Mr. Broadfield's prior advice to block as many holes in the door panel worked like a charm! That is where my components are. The rear quater panels sound great and like I said they are pretty secure and don't rattle either.

Thanks foor looking. And thanks for the inspiration everyone

So the 6x9 fits in the rear quarter panel with relatively lil' mods?

No other holes blocked in the quarters?

How well do the plastic covers fit over it?
Old 01-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #355
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Nicelyphe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I got some Pioneer 3-way 6-1/2's in the front doors. Deleted the rears[when you have a sub the rears are pointless due to the sound being drowned out by the bass, technically you cant really even hear it correctly, so I only push sound to the front]. Ran fresh new 14gauge wire through the doors to the amp in the back for my fronts. Also have 2 10" Kicker comp10's which sound better than all these 12" set-ups I've heard around town here, even my previous 12 setup. 1k watt amp bridged to the 10's, 250 watt amp to the fronts. A custom 7" double din glass capacitive touch panel, 450NITT LED screen, nice and bright, none of that foggy look, or that terrible touch response. A slim design PC in my glovebox running Ride Runner as my multi-media interface. Also a plywood carpetted trunk layout. That OEM stuff sucks. Soon will be running consult and live gauge monitering from the screen aswell, just waiting on my cable! Will be upgrading my SR alt to a Quest alt using codyace's conversion kit. 80amps alt is just not enough..

And for the pictures.[56k warning]

No audio equipment is visible from outside the vehicle. 10" box is perfect hieght.

Last edited by Nicelyphe; 01-20-2012 at 11:20 AM..
Nicelyphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #356
bogert
BANNED

bogert is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an Audionic speaker with an amplifier.
bogert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #357
94spitfire91
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (15)
94spitfire91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I have stock speakers and no head unit/radio.... in my 240sx lol
but my audis got 9 bose speakers with a sub under the back seat that puts aftermarket to shame haha
94spitfire91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #358
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94spitfire91 View Post
but my audis got 9 bose speakers with a sub under the back seat that puts aftermarket to shame haha
LOL, you must be listening to some real shitty aftermarket setups!?!

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 01-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #359
JDM king240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JDM king240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I got full diamond Audi speakers and and 2 12's and diamond audio amps
JDM king240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #360
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
my future set up which im still gathering my items what do you guys think. red is what i already have

Focal 165 KRX
upfront, rear qtr panels, 6x9 infinity reference speakers
running alpine pdx F6 amp for the 2 speakers, rear speakers routed to the pioneer premier 700bt single din with a 10in audiobahn sub w/ported box & 840w amp, RCA cable will be monster 4 gauge, power will be either JL/Kicker 4 gauge wire, and 10 gauge speaker wire, with a capacitor. of course a box of dynamat, maybe more.

(later on maybe a pioneer double din 7in for the built in eq and navi etc)
(later on focal v30 in the rear)
(later on with the v30 speakers, maybe run audison 1k-4 ch)
(later on JL AUDIO W7 10in ported box, or (2) 8" W7's w/ alpine bass controller.)
(later on kinetik secondary battery.)
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote