Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
SLiguykyle
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
SLiguykyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SLiguykyle Send a message via MSN to SLiguykyle Send a message via Yahoo to SLiguykyle
SR SR20DET -> SR20DE conversion or sell/buy? (warning: long post)

Okay, that thread title might not make a lot of sense, but let me explain.
I know a lot of people on here are rockin' SR20DETs. I myself have been included in this club for quite a while(though not nearly as long as some of you). now, I am currently trying to sell my SR setup, because i am trying to see if i can fund a non-turbo SR S13 half-cut, since my daily needs... quite a bit of help... and the car that had the sr is going to become LS powered... but in the event that i don't ever sell my SR (because for some reason no one wants a really nice SR swap) I have been tossing around the idea of just converting it to an SR20DE motor, which in my head could be cool because i would get to keep things like the DIS coil-on-plug ignition system, as well as what appears to be a lot more parts support, and i wouldn't have a turbo.

my question here, would be: am I right in thinking that with:
butchered crank, higher compression pistons(thinking 10.5:1), re-built head (to favor an NA build rather than turbo), ITBs, stand-alone ecu, headers, and a real good tune, the SR20DET would make a pretty decent high-revving NA motor correct?

or

are there so many little differences in the motors that I haven't found yet in my research, that it makes more sense to just buy an S13 SR20DE and build that instead... from what i've gathered they're actually very similar.

just looking for HELP or more INFO if anyone here has heard of this ever being done or if i should just stick to plan A (Sell sr and buy na sr and build that) If anyone knows of anywhere i can get a bunch of info for this stuff, please let me know. I am looking for the really technical stuff here, not just bolt on info. Im looking to see if there's anywhere i can compare what is compatible/incompatible from motor to motor, and what the pros and cons of each are as well as what kind of cams would work best, who can tune it, etc. etc. any info will be a great help. (I have been doing lots of research but it seems info is hard to come by) thank you in advance, zilvia. play nice! don't hurt my feelings too bad! I already know most of you on here are going to hate on me for this, but if that's the case, please relax on the flaming, like seriously. i've heard it all before and i am fully aware of what i'm getting myself into. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Why stop at 10.5:1? Autech is 11.7:1
May want to look into a Neo VVL head if you want revs.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
SLiguykyle
Leaky Injector

SLiguykyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to SLiguykyle Send a message via MSN to SLiguykyle Send a message via Yahoo to SLiguykyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Why stop at 10.5:1? Autech is 11.7:1
May want to look into a Neo VVL head if you want revs.
10.5:1 because i want to keep it pump gas, and i have looked into the neo VVL head, but i don't like the way it engages. is there a way to make it always stuck in the more aggressive timing? or maybe have it kick in a lot sooner? seems like it'd be simpler to just PNP a normal S13 head and run longer duration cams/ bigger valves. thanks for the input. if you could fill me in on ^^^ this paragraph that'd be great!