Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
TTZ33

Trader Rating: (0)
TTZ33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool Clutch slip with sr swap?

New member here. I swapped my sr from coup to my hatch. Clutch slipped a day or two later. So I put in a new one. Now this one is slipping and only drove the car 45 miles. Not beating it and its only a stock boost sr. The driveshaft looks like it sticks out more than I remember but both cars are non abs. Driveshaft is same one that was if the coup. Nico fest is this weekend and I need to get it going by tomorrow. Any help to include bashing me is appreciated.
TTZ33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
DennisC
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
DennisC is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Did you adjust your clutch pedal?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
what slave cylinder are you using? you can't use a stock ka slave cylinder, it will put too much pressure on it and cause it to slip.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisC View Post
Did you adjust your clutch pedal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdrift View Post
what slave cylinder are you using? you can't use a stock ka slave cylinder, it will put too much pressure on it and cause it to slip.

WTF These responses make no sense what so ever....

Clutch pedal adjustment makes no difference for when the clutch is engaged..

Slave cylinder makes no sense since the SR and KA one are the same once again does not matter once the clutch is engaged...

What clutch are you using and how much Torque is your SR making? and you do know there is a break in period longer than 45 miles.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post

Slave cylinder makes no sense since the SR and KA one are the same once again does not matter once the clutch is engaged...

What clutch are you using and how much Torque is your SR making? and you do know there is a break in period longer than 45 miles.
slave cylinder actually does make sense, i know from experience (not the internet, actual working on a car) that a ka slave cylinder will not work with an sr, the piston is too long and keeps the clutch engaged a bit, causing the clutch to slip on throttle. i had to grind mine down roughly 1/4" for it to stop slipping, and that did completely solve it. anyways, you need to break in your clutch roughly 3-500 miles before actually boosting, did you re-surface the flywheel?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Anyone have pictures of SR next to KA slave cylinder? I've never heard of such differences before. Hell, Nismo offers the same slave cylinder for both KA/SR.

ps. I'm using a KA slave cylinder on my SR right now with no issues.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post

Only thing is if the engagement is too high on the pedal, that you could potentially preloading the clutch. I've seen it happen once, adjusted the pedal engagement point lower and fixed the slipping issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdrift View Post
slave cylinder actually does make sense, i know from experience (not the internet, actual working on a car) that a ka slave cylinder will not work with an sr, the piston is too long and keeps the clutch engaged a bit, causing the clutch to slip on throttle. i had to grind mine down roughly 1/4" for it to stop slipping, and that did completely solve it. anyways, you need to break in your clutch roughly 3-500 miles before actually boosting, did you re-surface the flywheel?
KA and SR slaves are the exactly the same. Your issue is probably the TOB. TOB/carrier might have been shorter or taller.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Only thing is if the engagement is too high on the pedal, that you could potentially preloading the clutch. I've seen it happen once, adjusted the pedal engagement point lower and fixed the slipping issue.

hmmm I dont knooowwww.....

The only way I could see that happening is if he adjusted the pedal after installation.

Cuz if it was like that before then he wouldnt be able to install the Slave cuz it wouldnt be allowed to compress it to bolt it down.

But i have seen some crazy shit before. lol
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Old 05-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #9
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
are you sure there is a clutch disk between the pressure plate and flywheel?

sorry, everyone else is trolling today so I just needed to get my troll in... If you have a new clutch, don't forget the flywheel may be worn down too much. you may need a new flywheel.
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #10
TTZ33

Thanks for all the posts! Yes! There is a clutch plate. Both on the old and new. The "NEW" is a stock SR clutch, plate and wheel from a black top I picked up last year. Its "Like New" already broken in. The old clutch is an exidy. Three puck with matching plate. Stock fly wheel. Not the same stock fly wheel as the one I trued after the first slipping. The slave cylinder is KA. As is the clutch pedal. The engagement is at the top. Almost all the way out. I have a act six puck with plate and Fidanza wheel in the garage but its a trends. Its most likely going on tonight but adjustment seems like the best bet. I ran the 3one puck with no problems until I switched what car it was in.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:16 AM   #11
bookoo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
bookoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What year is the car?

Sohc cars have a different slave cylinder than dohc cars...I use a dohc...measure them then talk to me.
bookoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #12
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
Leaky Injector

ST3ALTHPSYCH0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTZ33 View Post
Thanks for all the posts! Yes! There is a clutch plate. Both on the old and new. The "NEW" is a stock SR clutch, plate and wheel from a black top I picked up last year. Its "Like New" already broken in. The old clutch is an exidy. Three puck with matching plate. Stock fly wheel. Not the same stock fly wheel as the one I trued after the first slipping. The slave cylinder is KA. As is the clutch pedal. The engagement is at the top. Almost all the way out. I have a act six puck with plate and Fidanza wheel in the garage but its a trends. Its most likely going on tonight but adjustment seems like the best bet. I ran the 3one puck with no problems until I switched what car it was in.
Wow. I'm new and I'll admit to being shadetree at beat, and dangerous at worst, but my clutch grabs to low that I stall with a bit of frequency, and I've been driving a stick for 12 years (like ALWAYS had a manual through that time). I have a spare slave cyl off the SR tranny I bought last summer sitting in the tool box. We'll talk turkey if anyone can confirm that you don't have the correct unit.
ST3ALTHPSYCH0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:48 AM   #13
TTZ33

Swap was in a sohc car now in a Dohc car. This is not my first swap by any means but the first time this has happened. It does feel like partial engagement. Both clutches are in good shape. May sound crazy but I never adjusted a hydraulic clutch before. Never had to. Any pointers are welcome.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #14
TTZ33

Slave cylinder is new. That's the only thing that makes any sense. Im gona try to grind it today. Worst I can do is waste a s/c. A shorter stroke should give a stiffer engagement. I hope.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #15
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
Leaky Injector

Fully extended, the unit on my imported tranny is ~4 3/8". I snapped a pic if you want it uploaded
Old 05-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #16
TTZ33

4 3/8 tip to tip?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
TTZ33

Tip to tip?
Old 05-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #18
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
Leaky Injector

4 3/8 from the rear of the unit to the extended tip.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #19
TTZ33

Ok. So I measured the shaft its self since you can compress the cylinder. It is 2 3/4 inch. I had alot of tension on it while still on the cars ar and the fork moved almost 3/4 of an inch once it was unbolted. Time to grind. Hope this is the trick.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #20
TTZ33

Ok. So it took longer to put it on the lift than to fix it. You got to love days like that!

Thanks so much to SHIFTDRIFT! You nailed it. You are a giant among men.

Also thanks go out to ST3ALTHPSYCHO for parts digging and the photo! You can tell im not on Nico.

Grinder the shaft off at the end of the ball end. "1/4 inch". Then rounded it off. Clutch engages perfect!
Old 05-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #21
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTZ33 View Post
Ok. So it took longer to put it on the lift than to fix it. You got to love days like that!

Thanks so much to SHIFTDRIFT! You nailed it. You are a giant among men.

Also thanks go out to ST3ALTHPSYCHO for parts digging and the photo! You can tell im not on Nico.

Grinder the shaft off at the end of the ball end. "1/4 inch". Then rounded it off. Clutch engages perfect!
NICE! Wish my issue were so easy
Old 05-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #22
Boost Barn
Leaky Injector

Boost Barn is an unknown quantity at this point
Dont get the slippage with the KA slave cylinder, beacuse thats whats on my car and i ran a 50trim t3/t4 on 14psi and made 285whp and 228tq on factory clutch and KA slave cylinder, 0 slip
Boost Barn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #23
Dorifto Machine
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
Dorifto Machine is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Weird, So is it confirmed that the KA slave is different than the SR slave or is it just the tip thats slightly further out ?

Im actually about to put my SR in and have a new KA slave I was going to use from my previous KA...

Boost Barn, Are you running a Ka-t or SR20?
Dorifto Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #24
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

The tip to tip length is gonna vary depening on the spring inside pushing the pin outward.

You'll have to measure each part individually.

my 8 years dealing with SR's Ive never had an issue with the KA slave
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 05-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #25
NISR20MO
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (29)
NISR20MO is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Glad you got it fixed but figured since I'm here... KA slaves are just fine on a SR, been there done that.

If your engagement is at the top of the pedal, it's not adjusted right, my whitebunny KA setup was like that when I adjusted to factory "pedal" freeplay spec (grabbed at the top, clutch assembly was much taller than stock). It was terrible to drive and slipped on my stock KA. I adjusted the clutch pedal engagement to where I liked the clutch to grab. Which put engagement pretty much a little bit closer to the floor than halfway through the pedal travel. Or right where the spring that assists with pedal return starts to work in reverse and would pull the pedal to the floor if your hydraulics weren't connected.

It grabs like a boss and drives soooo much better now.

The slave needs some freeplay before it starts pushing the clutch fork, you should be able to pull the slave pushrod out of the clutch fork dimple with your fingers ~1/3inch, and when you let it go it should stick itself right back into where it was. Have a friend adjust the rod, while you check freeplay at the slave.
NISR20MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #26
Boost Barn
Leaky Injector

Boost Barn is an unknown quantity at this point
im running an s13sr20 in an s14
Boost Barn is offline   Reply With Quote