Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 01-14-2003, 08:54 PM   #1
MovinUp-1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
MovinUp-1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need race wheels suggestions

I need a good set of lightweight wheels to use for autocrossing my 240. My first choice is 16x8 using a 245/45/16 kumho tire. I haven't had much luck finding this size wheel with a 4x114.3 bolt pattern. The least expensive I have seen so far is the good old Real wheels in 3-pice aluminum for $230 each. Anybody know of something less expensive?

Thanks,
Allen
MovinUp-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2003, 11:43 PM   #2
tnord
Nissanaholic!

tnord is an unknown quantity at this point
kosei k-1 racing. team dynamics pro-N1 er somethin, anything Rota, some enkei's. that should be enough for now. 245 is too big of a tire on a NA KA though.
tnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 01:06 AM   #3
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You're not too likely to find a 16x8 in 4x114 without importing something ($$$) though I know wheels in this size are available in Japan.

Here in the US the widest/lightest/best for the $ wheels for that pattern I'd say are the Kosei K1 in 16x7.5 and the Enkei RP01 in 16x7. Both are good for a 225/50-16.

But... neither of those wheels are sold in the US in that fitment anymore. But they used to! I'm currently scouring the nation for a set of one or the other.

jspec.com has the Black Racing N1 Pro in 4x114 16x8, +35 and +25 offsets. They list ¥29000 apiece, about $230, but that doesn't include whatever shipping they might ask.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 01:14 AM   #4
Kareem
Leaky Injector

Kareem is an unknown quantity at this point
You might want to check out Axis VPD. At 16x7 they weigh only 14 lbs and the 17x7 weighs 16 lbs.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:46 AM   #5
Kareem
Leaky Injector

Here's my light wheels thing. They're all fairly cheap. I'm pretty sure that they all come in the right bolt patern.

Enkei RPO-1 16x7 15.8
Axis VPD 16x7 14.0
5Zigen 5ZR Copse 16x7 15.7
GAB Sports 16x8 16.3
Kosei K1 Racing 16x7.5 15.5
Kosei K1 Racing 16x8.5 16.2
Rota Subzero 16x7 14.5
Stern Aguzze-S07 16x7 14.8
Stern Aguzze-S07 16x8 16.1

Good luck.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:13 AM   #6
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
The Kosei K1 and Enkei RP01 I know no longer exist in 4x114 ~+30 in the US. Tirerack is the eclusive distributor of the K1 in the US and they no longer list the 240SX fitment. Ditto for Discount Tire and the RP01.

The Rota Subzero and Axis VPD are both high-offset wheels, they won't clear coilovers if he has 'em.

The GABs are good but kind of pricey.

Where are you finding a 16" Copse? All I can find is 17x7.5.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:22 AM   #7
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

HippoSleek is an unknown quantity at this point
Before you go out and drop coin on wheels, I suggest you take a look at the class rules in your region. In other words, unless you are in Street Mod or higher, you can't run more than a 7.5" wheel.
HippoSleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 11:13 AM   #8
Kareem
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally posted by AKADriver
The GABs are good but kind of pricey.
Where are you finding a 16" Copse? All I can find is 17x7.5.
I just found it on some wheel weight site. Now that I look around, I don't think they exist. They aren't even on 5Zigen's website.

I found the GAB's here http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-6134.cfm for $350 for all 4 wheels.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:10 PM   #9
MovinUp-1
Zilvia Member

Guess I should have told everyone a little more about the car: I'm building it to run in street mod and track days. I have a DET in the car and Koni SA with ground control coilovers. IMO, a 245 tire is as small as I should go and hope to be competitive in SM. I've been autocrossing since '95, mostly in CP so the size of this car leaves me giddy thinking about how much easier it will be fitting it between the cones

I'm gonna check some of these other wheels you guys have mentioned and let you know what I have found. Thanks for the info.

Allen
Old 01-15-2003, 12:16 PM   #10
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

Thumbs up

Glad to hear! Sorry - I've just seen too many people do something to a car and not realize that they just spent $500-2000 to class the car right out of ever being competitive.

Glad to hear someone with some seat time putting an DET (KA or SR) into SM. Are you running any tour events?
Old 01-15-2003, 12:38 PM   #11
Kareem
Leaky Injector

How much money are you planning on spending on wheels/tires?
Old 01-15-2003, 01:42 PM   #12
tnord
Nissanaholic!

tnord is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

thumbs up to this guy. i don't know how much power you are making, but i still wouldn't say a 245 tire would be the minimum you should buy. i would still recommend a width from 235-255. especially in autox, getting those massive things to stop and start turning is a bit more significant than driving at road america.
tnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 02:31 PM   #13
MovinUp-1
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Glad to hear someone with some seat time putting an DET (KA or SR) into SM. Are you running any tour events?
I don't think I'll do a tour in the 240 this year. Can't leave the camaro at home for a big event. Especially since I've not done too bad in CP, place 3rd and 4th in the last two tours (Meridian 2000 and Houston 2001). I plan to run the 240 at local events and in our state championship series, the Trans Louisiana Autocross Challenge (TLAC). Forgot to mention the motor in the 240 is an SR20DET. The plan is to at least run an S-AFC and a boost controller on it this year. It still won't match the camaro's power, but it'll be a lot of fun.

Quote:
i don't know how much power you are making, but i still wouldn't say a 245 tire would be the minimum you should buy. i would still recommend a width from 235-255. especially in autox, getting those massive things to stop and start turning is a bit more significant than driving at road america.
Well I'm trying to keep the wheels as light as my budget will allow, and I understand what you're saying about rotational mass. But, big meats win meets. Most everyone in ESP is going from the 275/40/17 tire they thought was big enough to 315/35/17. I know the 240 is several hundred pounds lighter than your average pony car but it's still about 2700lbs. I feel the 245 tire is big enough for now. It should be able to handle the power of the SR and the braking forces of the (eventually) 300zx brakes. Besides, I'm no little fellow, this little car is gonna need big tires with me in it!

The first autocross of the season locally is in february at another region's site. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:17 PM   #14
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

IIRC, SM gets to use the tire from SP. Does SP allow R compounds? I think that is the biggest factor. (since you reference Kumhos, I'm guessing you can).

I agree that I wouldn't look any smaller than a 245 for an SR w/ a boost controller in autox. If you have to use street tires, I'd look for the biggest thing you can fit in there. If R's are allowed, I'd guess 275 in back and I'd chose the front based on sway bars and how the car's working now.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:29 PM   #15
LanceS13
AutoX Junkie

LanceS13 is making a name for him/her selfLanceS13 is making a name for him/her self
Any DOT approved tire is legal, even in stock classes. So VictorRacers/Ecsta V700's, Hoosier A3S03/R3S03's, Yoko A032R's, and probably a few others are legal. You just can't run road race slicks.
If you're willing to modifiy the fenders, I think several of the heavier (heavier than a '89 civic hatchback) National cars are running 275's on 9.5 and 10" rims.
LanceS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 03:37 PM   #16
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kareem
I found the GAB's here http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-6134.cfm for $350 for all 4 wheels.
Wow that's cheap - they won't fit well, though, not without a decent spacer (+45).

I just noticed that Jspec.com also has a set of four 5Zigen N1R Beckett, 16x7 4x114 +33.

Back on the topic, this sounds like a cool car