Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-17-2003, 05:50 PM   #1
docrice
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
docrice is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to docrice
s14 Got a few questions about mods

Well, i'm starting to mod my car and i have a few questions, any advice would be appreciated.
First: I want to do a full exhaust on my 240. I already decided on Hotshot headers and probably a random tech cat, and since i'm NOT going turbo i want to go with either 2.25" or 2.5" tubing after that. I want something that sounds good, NOT too loud or raspy. I'd like a dual tip that looks at least pseudo-stock. i don't care whether it's muffler only or cat back, since i know a guy that does custom bends...muffler only would be preferable,mainly for the cost factor, which i would like to keep this fairly inexpensive. so i'd like your reccomendations, sound clips would be GREAT if possible.
Second: I tried to remove the speed limiter on my car as reccomended on the 240sx.org FAQ's and got a check engine light. my car is a 96 and they seem to say it would only affect Cali. cars. Is there a way i can trick the ECU or fake a sensor input? My idea was to use a switch to control either input direct from the sensor to ecu or input with an amp/resistor, depending on how its measured, and just hitting the switch once i near the speed limiter. any ideas/personal experience would be great
Old 02-17-2003, 05:58 PM   #2
Dream240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Dream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Talking

The Hotshot, Random tech cat is the way I went and those parts alone cost me about 550.00. 250.00 for the headers and 220.00 for the cat, plus you need to order the O2brackets for your 2nd O2 sensor from Hotshot. That part is a pain in the ass. I had to take the part and my car down to a weld shop that would actually do the quick weld for me. Most shops wont. And I went with the Apexi N1 dual, but my cars REALLY loud, with no silencer. Get one if you decide that route trust me.

Good Luck!
Old 02-17-2003, 08:21 PM   #3
95Blue240sx
Post Whore!

95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection
thats weird. i have the hs header and it eliminates the cat. the only place there would be to add a cat is between the header and rest of the exhaust. i know that there is a resonator right there, right under the driver seat.

Please leave me feedback
95Blue240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 12:13 PM   #4
Dream240
Nissanaholic!

Dream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Actually you're partially right. The HS header removes the only TRUE CAT on the OBD II 240. The second canister that looks like a CAT, just after the new HS header, is actually hollow!! Just a guess but I'd say that Nissan used it for something else in Japan and just brouht the version straight over for us. When you but a High flow CAT from Random Technologies, or whomever, it will replace this hollow piece. Also the Random Tech CAT comes with flared flanges that don't require a gasket, just bolt it up to the header and exhaust and you're in business. I actually went to the local hardware store and bought 4 matching nuts, lock washers, and bolts for the CAT to bolt up between my header and N1 exhaust. It's funny but all the after market parts actually fit better together than the stock pieces did!
Oh yeah, remove the stickers on the CAT cause they'll just burn off and smoke the first time you drive off and probably freak you out. Don't forget that you'll need to move your second O2 sensor to the exhaust behind the new CAT or you'll get an engine light that will ultimately lean out your mixture and make you run really ****ty.

Have fun and good luck!
Old 02-18-2003, 02:23 PM   #5
AceInHole
Autox Technician

AceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfection
Just a heads up: I've got a friend running a '97 with no 2nd O2 sensor and his CEL came and went. Car runs fine. He has a JWT ECU though. I had my 2nd O2 sensor unplugged on 2 seperate occasions and the CEL never came up (maybe not enough key cycles to trigger it).
Old 02-18-2003, 02:48 PM   #6
Jeff240sx
I hate you too...

Jeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond repute
Screw the CEL. I've had one on my car for months. It's bitching about 3 things.. and I don't really care.
And yea... HS/hi-flow cat/exhaust is the only way to go NA.
-Jeff
Old 02-18-2003, 05:47 PM   #7
Dream240
Nissanaholic!

Talking

Yeah the JWT ECU will avoid that problem because you can fine tune your fuel mixtures. Also the light will not trigger for about 1000 miles, but once it does, and you reset it, without fixing the problem, it will come back on almost immediately. Smart little suckers!!

I'm looking into a JWT ECU, but maybe later. Jeff I feel you on the ECU, when I first bought mine I had failed a speed sensor, leaking intake manifold, and bad O2 sensors. That light got so annoying that I just put a little black electrical tape over it until I got them fixed. Was much nicer at night!!
Old 04-12-2005, 01:23 PM   #8
madwilly240
Zilvia Junkie

madwilly240 is an unknown quantity at this point
so when I install my HS header, and my RSR cat back, theres still gonna be a stock piece in there between the 2?

And the random tech cat will take care of that? Catco would be the same too right..?
madwilly240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:37 PM   #9
Replicant_S14
Zilvia Junkie

Replicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwilly240
so when I install my HS header, and my RSR cat back, theres still gonna be a stock piece in there between the 2?

And the random tech cat will take care of that? Catco would be the same too right..?
yes and yes
Rules of Boozing #10: Do not make eye contact with the bartender if you do not want a drink.
Replicant_S14 is offline   Reply With Quote