Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
irun240sx

Trader Rating: (0)
irun240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ASAP need my car for school.. OIL SMOKE problem

hey i already posted in small questions thread but im impatient
i have been trying for about half a year to stop the oil-smoke coming out of my car. im running 10w40 it drops like half a quart of oil every 20 miles so i have to refill after every stop. it smokes up when the oil is low. i have swapped the headgasket with mls and arp studs, i rebuilt my turbo new seals, i have new dual radiator cuz i thought the oil was getting burned somehow, new valve cover gasket, my 3rd cylinder is little less shiny than the other cylinders but its not DIRTY, i put an air compressor on each of the cylinders to check for cracks in the head/block but no bubbles came out of the radiator so i think im fine, my compression is 140 on the front two; 150 on the back two, im replacing the pvc valve and adding a oil catch can on the left side of the valve cover "T" right now ill let you know if it works, next is the valve stems seals but im not sure if thats the problem. could it be the piston rings? what else could be the problem?
irun240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #2
Fuego
Zilvia Addict

Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Piston rings. Do a compression test.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
1 qt of oil every 40 miles. For 6 months time. Lets say you drive 200 miles a week. That's 5 qts of oil a week. Half a year is 26 weeks. 26 weeks x 5qts of oil = 130 qts of oil, lets say at a price of $7 a quart... $910. Could swap in a known good KA for half of that. Yikes.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
irun240sx

what kind of numbers should i be expecting if the piston rings are fried? already did a compression test i got 140, 140, 150, 150. i looked them up and their healthy numbers.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
140, 140, 150, 150 is not healthy on a stock KA24DE setup. Did you warm the engine up first?
Old 09-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #6
Dillinja666
Leaky Injector

Dillinja666 is an unknown quantity at this point
pull the down pipe and look for oil coming out the back of the turbo. That's the other place where you can be losing oil. At the rate you are talking though it would be a smoke screen behind your car when you drive.
Dillinja666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #7
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
LEAKDOWN TEST. LEAKDOWN TEST. LEAKDOWN TEST!!!

I can't believe no one else told you to do one. And no, its not the same as a compression test. The concept is similar to what you did with the compressed air.

That should have been your next step after all that other shit. Stop throwing parts at it, its not going to help you, and apparently asking on zilvia doesn't get you too far either.

jesus help us.
bataangpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #8
irun240sx

BTW i forgot to post this!! i am working on a redtop sr20det!!!!! SORRY!

also my oil smells like gas and its black.

Yes unfortunately it is a smokescreen behind me, i have been pulled over by the police for it. (no ticket cuz my car passed emisions last year)
Old 09-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #9
DillPickle
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (-1)
DillPickle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
have you checked your turbo if the oil eal is blown
DillPickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #10
irun240sx

i have put new seals in the turbo last week unless there's a way for them to blow since then i doubt it but ill check anyways.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #11
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by irun240sx View Post
i have put new seals in the turbo last week unless there's a way for them to blow since then i doubt it but ill check anyways.
leakdown test
Old 09-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #12
DJ 21o3
Zilvia Junkie

DJ 21o3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Leak down test. If you have gas in your oil, then one of your rings is probably buggered. Maybe a fuel injector is stuck open and washing the walls down?
DJ 21o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #13
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bataangpinoy View Post
LEAKDOWN TEST. LEAKDOWN TEST. LEAKDOWN TEST!!!

I can't believe no one else told you to do one. And no, its not the same as a compression test. The concept is similar to what you did with the compressed air.

That should have been your next step after all that other shit. Stop throwing parts at it, its not going to help you, and apparently asking on zilvia doesn't get you too far either.

jesus help us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ 21o3 View Post
Leak down test. If you have gas in your oil, then one of your rings is probably buggered. Maybe a fuel injector is stuck open and washing the walls down?
thank god its not just me