Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
vinyl wrapped drift cars

When my car runs i'm going to wrap it in lue of a real paint since I don't have money for the kit i really want to put together or the paint id want on it. How hard is it to do?

i was thinking of something like this... but blue or pearl

and incase you want to know what kit i want its

these fender flares

these sides and rear

this front

and maybe an origin hood
Old 12-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
Kn1ves
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
Kn1ves is close to perfectionKn1ves is close to perfectionKn1ves is close to perfectionKn1ves is close to perfectionKn1ves is close to perfectionKn1ves is close to perfectionKn1ves is close to perfectionKn1ves is close to perfectionKn1ves is close to perfectionKn1ves is close to perfectionKn1ves is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kn1ves
I thought wrapping cars in vinyl cost just as much, if not more, than painting it.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
OTG Vinyl
Zilvia Member

OTG Vinyl is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kn1ves View Post
I thought wrapping cars in vinyl cost just as much, if not more, than painting it.
Correct. With vinyl, you're lucky if it lasts ten years. If paint only lasts ten years, you did it wrong.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
well the vinyl i want is ~$44 a roll thats 2 feet x 30, 2 of those should be more than plenty to wrap a car multiple times...all i really need is a heat gun
Old 12-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
OTG Vinyl
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
well the vinyl i want is ~$44 a roll thats 2 feet x 30, 2 of those should be more than plenty to wrap a car multiple times...all i really need is a heat gun
What brand is it?

And you're going to need wider than 24" vinyl, unless you want seams all over it. Most rolls are 150 feet, not 30.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
drftwerks
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
drftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drftwerks Send a message via MSN to drftwerks
there is no way that car will look good with all that shit on it
Old 12-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTG Vinyl View Post
What brand is it?

And you're going to need wider than 24" vinyl, unless you want seams all over it. Most rolls are 150 feet, not 30.
Im doing the same with the cheap vynal off ebay.
I already have dibs on the cherry red flake stuff fuckers.

Im gonna live with seems.
but I think it will be ok since its a drift car with full over fenders.
When I had paint, and would hit cars during tandem, or have cones and driveways break my aero, I couldnt get it to look decent, even with paint.

So I figure vinyl on a drift car is the better, cheaper way to go.
No paint matching when i fix stuff, or buy a new bumper.

So how hard is it?
I heard something about soap and water and heat guns?? Im more concerned about the curves in the front aero.
And might as well do the dash and center consile while im at it

with the paint

See, its ok. But I think vinyl would have looked a little cleaner as things fell apart. I could just go over stuff with the vinyl.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
Quote:
When my car runs i'm going to wrap it in lue of a real paint since I don't have money for the kit i really want to put together or the paint id want on it. How hard is it to do?

i was thinking of something like this... but blue or pearl

and incase you want to know what kit i want its

these fender flares

these sides and rear

this front

and maybe an origin hood

nice decepticon. i don't remember any gay transformers, but i guess there's a first time for anything
Old 12-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
ericcastro
Post Whore!

ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
^ though funny, I dont know what that means ?? lol
Old 12-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #10
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcastro View Post
^ though funny, I dont know what that means ?? lol
you snuck a post in rarrrr
i was referring to OP
Old 12-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
drftwerks
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
drftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drftwerks Send a message via MSN to drftwerks
Quote:

are there really no free shells in socal that you can have???

i want to get you one.

this is why "drifitng" in america is the way it is.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #12
ericcastro
Post Whore!

I dont need a shell.
I live in an apartment in Hollywood.
Cant even change spark plugs at my place. lol

Plus its gonna be specifically for drifting when i get a daily.
fucking drift missle.
I already dont worry about tapping other cars while running tandem.
the frame is fine. the dent on the drivers door is almost all the way out and overfendered.
all new aero.
No reason for a shell, its just gonna get beat too.

I dont know what "drifting in america" means??
I see so many cars worse than mine on the Japanese drift videos.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #13
ESmorz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
ESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ESmorz
I'm officially against this.

I'm all for cheap drift cars and such but, vinyl looks like ass and costs just as much as painting it yourself or having an experienced friend do it.

You're going to blow all that money on aero but you can't afford some paint?
Old 12-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #14
neverrain
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
neverrain has much to be proud ofneverrain has much to be proud ofneverrain has much to be proud ofneverrain has much to be proud ofneverrain has much to be proud ofneverrain has much to be proud ofneverrain has much to be proud ofneverrain has much to be proud ofneverrain has much to be proud ofneverrain has much to be proud ofneverrain has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESmorz View Post
I
You're going to blow all that money on aero but you can't afford some paint?
Seriously, this is what I was thinking. That kit is like what, 6 grand? Paint it. Don't be stupid. The vinyl won't made a difference if you slam into a wall.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:59 PM   #15
ericcastro
Post Whore!

All the Aero was free through a sponsor.
front and rear over fenders, side skirts, front and rear bumper.

I dont wanna have to paint match a fender and a front bumper and hood everytime I have a crash while drifting.
i will have the vinyl at home, and be able to put it on the replacement part, walk outside and ziptie it on.

To me it just makes sense.
Getting a single stage paint job is better than vinyl for looks. But no one is closer than 50' while Im drifting anyways.

For me, it just seems cost effective for my purposes.

This car probably wont be around in 2 years. Its gonna be in a wall or into another car at some point.
I dont plan on it, but the reality of trying to push things to the next level make this a real possability.
i watched alot of guys I have drifted with go into the wall at the redbull longbeach, and thats the compitition level i wanna be at in the next 2 years. So the probability of crashing is definatly there.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #16
ESmorz
Post Whore!

ESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfection
Quote:
But no one is closer than 50' while Im drifting anyways.
You're doing it wrong.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #17
ericcastro
Post Whore!

^Har Har, lol
no one that isn't driving
Old 12-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #18
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
44 for 24" by 10 yards is gonna get you like level 2 (out of 4) vinyl. It should work fine for a few years. We've lettered trailers with cheaper Oracal vinyl and it's lasted longer (on corners and the sort) than some better quality stuff.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 12-25-2008, 05:52 PM   #19
ESmorz
Post Whore!

Quote:
^Har Har, lol
no one that isn't driving

I was more referring to the OP though.

That's some baller tits aero, that I assume he is paying for. To vinyl them would be a shame.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:07 PM   #20
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
44 for 24" by 10 yards is gonna get you like level 2 (out of 4) vinyl. It should work fine for a few years. We've lettered trailers with cheaper Oracal vinyl and it's lasted longer (on corners and the sort) than some better quality stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESmorz View Post

Thankyou

I was more referring to the OP though.

That's some baller tits aero, that I assume he is paying for. To vinyl them would be a shame.
Ah, I see.
Yeah, I don't know the OP's full plan.
For me it makes sense, and I realize its not a paint job.
But if the cars not gonna get its but kicked, then go single stage paint.
Need a decent shop here in LA, PM me and I can get you a cheap shop.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #21
OTG Vinyl
Zilvia Member

Quote:
So how hard is it?
I heard something about soap and water and heat guns?? Im more concerned about the curves in the front aero.
It takes experience to do it properly and quickly. Plus there are tricks to it, which a beginner won't know.

Soapy water and heat guns are needed.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:38 PM   #22
ericcastro
Post Whore!

^Imma have to look it up on some forums and figure it out.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:40 PM   #23
OTG Vinyl
Zilvia Member

Quote:
^Imma have to look it up on some forums and figure it out.
If you were close, i'd be more than happy to show you.

I've done pretty large format before:

Old 12-25-2008, 07:45 PM   #24
ESmorz
Post Whore!

Quote:
Ah, I see.
Yeah, I don't know the OP's full plan.
For me it makes sense, and I realize its not a paint job.
But if the cars not gonna get its but kicked, then go single stage paint.
Need a decent shop here in LA, PM me and I can get you a cheap shop.
Hmm I'm going to need some paint and minor body work soon. Was going to do it myself, but if the deal is a deal than it's a deal.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:23 PM   #25
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
irax i think you might catch alot of law enforcement attention with the vinyl wrap on your daily driver dude.. esp in socal man.. you up to that?
Old 12-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #26
ericcastro
Post Whore!

good point Hypertek

this is me after 1 1/2 years here in LA. Im 32, work in the film industry and don't come off like a punk kid either.
Only one is for speeding.
And this is with a blue car thats kitted.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:41 PM   #27
93superHICAS
Zilvia Member

93superHICAS is just really nice93superHICAS is just really nice93superHICAS is just really nice93superHICAS is just really nice93superHICAS is just really nice93superHICAS is just really nice93superHICAS is just really nice93superHICAS is just really nice93superHICAS is just really nice93superHICAS is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to 93superHICAS Send a message via Yahoo to 93superHICAS
all those fix it tickets?
Old 12-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #28
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
Am I going to be the first one to say that Rocket Bunny flares with URAS GT aero will look like complete shit?
Old 12-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #29
ericcastro
Post Whore!

^umm, no, I think homeboy meant the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drftwerks View Post
there is no way that car will look good with all that shit on it

yeah. half the time, I would just go in and have things signed off.
Its basically just a bunch of Police Harassment. Once I moved into LA/Hollywood, I havent had a problem.

i started filing complaints against the officers. So I may pay $10, but they're getting passed up when raises come around.
Only way to fight back.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:19 PM   #30
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
oooOo

all that money on the kit/aero and cheap out to vinyl!? !!!!!!