Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 01-21-2003, 02:14 PM   #1
moose
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
moose is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ricer this, ricer that

I read the posts and all I hear is:
oh he's a ricer, or got any rice?
Like what the heck? Is a ricer only someone who modifies they're car in funky colours or body parts? Or is it cheap mods and crappy orange/yellow color?
If people customize their cars, they shouldn't be hounded for it, should they?

So really, what is a ricer??
Old 01-21-2003, 02:26 PM   #2
Fresh 240SX
Zilvia Junkie

Fresh 240SX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Fresh 240SX Send a message via Yahoo to Fresh 240SX
Well this is sorta a grey area... some ppl on here would call people who like to put JDM things on there cars ricers.... as other like myself would call ppl who put big non functional wings on there FF Cars, actually its more of bad taste than rice BUT.... its there car, there money so i don't really care anymore... However... the group of people i dislike... are the ones who use the cheapest parts possible.. and throw togeather a car in a matter of weeks just do be in this "scene" whatever.... you get the idea.... i dunno i believe that if your gonna do something, take the time to do it right... dont do it half assed where your getting a $100 paint job just so you can say your car is done and go show off to your buddys at the local cruise night.. or an un-named example from where I live... a kid with a '94 Z24 puts a stock Honda civic bumper on his car.... Just tape and bondo and maybe a few screws..... just tossed it on there...... took it off maybe a month later because of all the ridicule.... anyways my definition of a ricer is someone whos got a half assed car with crap all over it thinking he/she knows what there doing and that they have something that its not... ie... a race car or in most cases.... a nice car LOL
Old 01-21-2003, 02:32 PM   #3
thelinja
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
thelinja is making a name for him/her selfthelinja is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
There was a thread on this a couple weeks ago. This belongs in OT too.
Most people define a "ricer" as someone who adds "fast looking" parts to a slow car without actually buying and equiping performance parts. Most of these "ricers" also add "high performance" non-functional mufflers whcih also make them sound fast. Ricers used to piss me off, but now I could care less..I just get pissed when I see a "riced" 240.

Example: Teen buys his first car. He buys a Hyundai Accent because it's the only "import" he can afford. He gets a job and makes some money and then takes it to MAACO and get's an orange paint job for $200. He goes to AutoZone and buys an APC shift knob, APC neon lights, an APC conefilter, APC exhaust tip, and an APC wing. He then puts all of this **** on his car, and covers it with APC stickers. He now thinks he has a fast import.

Last edited by thelinja; 01-21-2003 at 02:36 PM..
thelinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 03:15 PM   #4
Bbandit
Post Whore!

Bbandit is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Bbandit Send a message via AIM to Bbandit
im getting tired of this question that has been asked a gajillion times

i will give you the most simplest definition
rice = modding your car to LOOK fast..

==>>TGL GARAGE<<==.. RIP!
S13 coupe KA-T @ 0.5 Bar = SOLD!
A31 Cefiro + SR = Current
Bbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 03:25 PM   #5
hooter
Leaky Injector

hooter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to hooter
Quote:
Example: Teen buys his first car. He buys a Hyundai Accent because it's the only "import" he can afford. He gets a job and makes some money and then takes it to MAACO and get's an orange paint job for $200. He goes to AutoZone and buys an APC shift knob, APC neon lights, an APC conefilter, APC exhaust tip, and an APC wing. He then puts all of this **** on his car, and covers it with APC stickers. He now thinks he has a fast import.
What if he feels his car is still slow, but just likes the way it looks?

How about some dude who drives a 240sx and talks about KA this and SR that. HKS here and JIC and Tein this. Cusco, zenki, chouki, boro, sileighty, chokudori, Keichi, blah blah blah. Has a JDM air freshener (maybe and Air Spencer or my shaldan squash scent) to go with his Nismo shift knob. And of course the requisite Silvia and K's badges to go with his otherwise stock car. Never seen a racetrack nor spent more than 10 minutes at any time under his hood (had to call 4 of his friends to help him install his Injen intake). Yet will be the first to answer a question about driving technique, brake pad reccomendations, exhaust or wheel fitment because he "learned" a lot on the internet. Rice?

Not specifically aimed at you, thelinja. Just at all these hotshot internet cowboys.

-Charlie
hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 03:32 PM   #6
Bbandit
Post Whore!

Bbandit is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Bbandit Send a message via AIM to Bbandit
the more you think and talk about the 'ricer' definition... the vague it will be...
so read my definition again (a couple of posts above)
and take it as a joke!
its all a joke! dont you see! its not really a formal term
so stop asking this stupid "what is a ricer" stuff..

i dont even know why i responded to this thread

==>>TGL GARAGE<<==.. RIP!
S13 coupe KA-T @ 0.5 Bar = SOLD!
A31 Cefiro + SR = Current
Bbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 03:39 PM   #7
Fresh 240SX
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by hooter
What if he feels his car is still slow, but just likes the way it looks?

How about some dude who drives a 240sx and talks about KA this and SR that. HKS here and JIC and Tein this. Cusco, zenki, chouki, boro, sileighty, chokudori, Keichi, blah blah blah. Has a JDM air freshener (maybe and Air Spencer or my shaldan squash scent) to go with his Nismo shift knob. And of course the requisite Silvia and K's badges to go with his otherwise stock car. Never seen a racetrack nor spent more than 10 minutes at any time under his hood (had to call 4 of his friends to help him install his Injen intake). Yet will be the first to answer a question about driving technique, brake pad reccomendations, exhaust or wheel fitment because he "learned" a lot on the internet. Rice?

Not specifically aimed at you, thelinja. Just at all these hotshot internet cowboys.

-Charlie
You raise many valid points and i would like to subscribe to your newsletter
Old 01-21-2003, 04:04 PM   #8
uiuc240
Nissanaholic!

uiuc240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to uiuc240
wtf is "boro"? i've seen it for quite some time now and realize i have no clue what that is. engrish prease!

does it just mean "Ol' Skool?"

EDIT: Found it...Thanks to Nadine...Boro = beat up/ghetto. Great.

Eric

Last edited by uiuc240; 01-21-2003 at 04:06 PM..
uiuc240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 04:12 PM   #9
toddnappi
Zilvia Junkie

toddnappi is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to toddnappi
I dont understand why we get so upset over some people's personal preferences in cars.

What about all the latest clothing fads? I happen to like jeans, but some of these people have been been buying jeans and putting chains or getting them really big (whats the point of that? must be one of those mods that doesnt actually do anything other than look). Some people even write on them with sharpie marker! I'd never do that to my jeans! So now I need a name for them... hmm... well Japanese people "burn rice", and somehow that makes them ricers, even though the people we just stated were ricers are Americans (did that make sense?) and then...
toddnappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 04:20 PM   #10
X-Iceman
Zilvia Junkie

X-Iceman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to X-Iceman
I just have to say everyone to their own. If you want to put a giant spoiler made by wings west then go ahead. but if i hear you sayin that your giant spoiler is a carbon fiber cwest spoiler and you have a giant cwest sticker on your car, then your a ricer. So a liar=a ricer in my opinion. That goes from sayin your car is fast when its not or puttin stickers on your car of performance parts that you dont have. Now those japanese stickers, thats just bad taste.
X-Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 05:32 PM   #11
whateverjames
Nissanaholic!

whateverjames has a little shameless behavior in the past
Send a message via AIM to whateverjames
i visit and s10/blazer forum because i own a blazer, and everything is rice. talk about some good ole all american boys. there is a guy with a nissan sentra that visits the site with a turbo. it runs 13.4 with bad traction. guess what. it's rice. a guy with a 350 in an s10 beat a 'tricked out rx7' he called it. since he won, he called it rice. a guy with a stock s10 raced a celica GTS, and the S10 lost, so he went on about how ricey the (stock) celica was.... another guy wouldn't accept the fact that an S2000 would beat a stock s10 because the 'ricey thing' only has 142 lbs of torque vs 250. and 'some' of these are the same guys with altezza lights on their trucks.

at least it's not that bad.

02 Blazer X - 90 240SX w/SR

oh noes
whateverjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 05:34 PM   #12
MikeFD3S
Zilvia Member

MikeFD3S is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MikeFD3S
hey what's wrong with being boro?

When I hear kouki tail lights, and zenki bumper... i don't get mad... just confused.

For me, a ricer is someone who doesn't understand the simple principle of form following function-- someone who buys a car/truck/suv for all the wrong reasons.

we all love generalizations, so here ya go:

dry rice - they aspire to be fast, but they are more concerned with body modifications that make them have the 'racer' look. They LOVE to show off. They have no car knowledge whatsoever and love to bench race. Their CAI and 'chip' adds 40hp. These are the rice that never made it into the cooker, and ultimately have no substance.

sticky rice - the poseur wannabe type that apire to be JDM incarnate. The TEIN HA's that they shelled out for may be functional, but they only bought it because JDM makes you more t3h l33t. They don't know how to drive, and they tend to stick together in clumps of other rice. They have some general car knowledge, but do not put any effort into expanding it.

moldy rice - They are usually knowledgeable about their car, but their close mindedness will make you want to vomit. Usually comes in the form of: "My car is better than your car" or "the XXXX can nevar l0se!" This rice may have been fresh at one point, but it is rotten to the core.

fried rice - clean cars, with the right kind of modifications. This is a grey area. Like fried rice at a cheap chinese buffet, it looks good and the price is right...but you don't how long it's been sitting out. It might be a nice car with a cool driver, or it might just be some spoiled kid with a trust fund/parents who doesn't know jack shiet.

im sure there are more
'90 240SX Hatch

'89 240SX Coupe [dead]
'91 Geo Storm [dead]
'86 FC3S GXL [gone]
MikeFD3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 05:37 PM   #13
MikeFD3S
Zilvia Member

MikeFD3S is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MikeFD3S
Quote:
Originally posted by whateverjames
i visit and s10/blazer forum because i own a blazer, and everything is rice. talk about some good ole all american boys. there is a guy with a nissan sentra that visits the site with a turbo. it runs 13.4 with bad traction. guess what. it's rice. a guy with a 350 in an s10 beat a 'tricked out rx7' he called it. since he won, he called it rice. a guy with a stock s10 raced a celica GTS, and the S10 lost, so he went on about how ricey the (stock) celica was.... another guy wouldn't accept the fact that an S2000 would beat a stock s10 because the 'ricey thing' only has 142 lbs of torque vs 250. and 'some' of these are the same guys with altezza lights on their trucks.

lol i hate those lowered trucks with altezzas. They're all over the place where i live. eminem emulating focks...
MikeFD3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 06:22 PM   #14
KoukiS14
Zilvia Addict

KoukiS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to KoukiS14 Send a message via AIM to KoukiS14 Send a message via Yahoo to KoukiS14
A ricer is usually a dumbass, and he/she generally well. . rices their car out, in tasteless, cheap ****. APC.. Almost everything made by APC is CRAP, and therefore is rice.

Just. . colorblindness, lack of taste, and direction will lead to a ricey car.

But, most will agree with this one statement "Hey, as long as you're happy with it"

my .02

EDIT: 'course... if you drive a domestic, ALL import drivers = ricer... But, then if you're dumb enough to drive a dom. . . . (j/k hehe)
KoukiS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 06:24 PM   #15
KoukiS14
Zilvia Addict

Send a message via ICQ to KoukiS14 Send a message via AIM to KoukiS14 Send a message via Yahoo to KoukiS14
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeFD3S
lol i hate those lowered trucks with altezzas. They're all over the place where i live. eminem emulating focks...
Oh no, my brotha. . those are "EURO LIGHTS" not Altezzas. .
lol . .

They'd never do it, if they knew that that style is from a JAPANESE car. .

I want to buy an IS300 and swap Civic tails onto it haha
Old 01-21-2003, 06:35 PM   #16
TheTimanator
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
TheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by whateverjames

Most domestic lovers in my area call all imports "ricers" or "rice burners". They don't care if its moddified or not! Even if it's moddified for performance reasons only and is actually quick. Some people are just stuborn.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:36 PM   #17
KoukiS14
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by TheTimanator
Most domestic lovers in my area call all imports "ricers" or "rice burners". They don't care if its moddified or not! Even if it's moddified for performance reasons only and is actually quick. Some people are just stuborn.
I get glared at by corndicks when I drive my 97 S14!!! They must think it's modded haha (100% stock exterior)
Old 01-21-2003, 07:38 PM   #18
KoukiS14
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bbandit
im getting tired of this question that has been asked a gajillion times

i will give you the most simplest definition
rice = modding your car to LOOK fast..
My car LOOKS fast.

It's not.

It's stock haha
Old 01-21-2003, 07:54 PM   #19
moose
Zilvia Member

moose is an unknown quantity at this point
gee I didn't think one question could spark so much emotion. Somebody's right into the soaps, either that or its wrestling. I don't know?
Old 01-21-2003, 08:53 PM   #20
KoukiS14
Zilvia Addict

lol soaps. . wrestling. . whaaaaaat? haha ya lost me =)

There is a lot of emotion inherent with that topic. . *shrug*
People like their cars, and nobody will admit to being wrong, especially after spending a lot of money. . .
Old 01-21-2003, 09:21 PM   #21
Jeff240sx
I hate you too...

Jeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by KoukiS14
Just. . colorblindness... will lead to a ricey car.
Um. I'm color blind. What's it to you?!?
-Jeff
Old 01-21-2003, 09:22 PM   #22
Fresh 240SX
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
nobody will admit to being wrong, especially after spending a lot of money. . .
Point and case...
Checkmate........
Old 01-22-2003, 12:48 AM   #23
midnights14
Zilvia Junkie

midnights14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to midnights14
Well to many, a "rice-rocket" is pretty much any import with any kind of modifications to it.

**Asian guy driving the car is a bonus rice point.**
Old 01-22-2003, 07:01 AM   #24
KoukiS14
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff240sx
Um. I'm color blind. What's it to you?!?
-Jeff
lol whoops. .
Old 01-22-2003, 07:02 AM   #25
KoukiS14
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by James
Ricers have a "loud" style.
guys on internet forums have a "clean" style.

So who is right?
1. The magazines + companies + import "sticker" shops sure the hell cater + support the loud style.
2. ricers + magazine readers NOT on the internet...
OUTNUMBER--> the guys on internet.
I think ya'll should just give in.

Did you ever realize you're opinions on cars were the minority and your voice is only heard on the internet? Think about it.
It's your opinion vs. theirs
It's their car --> they can do whatever the hell they want with it, and probably actually enjoy and have fun doing it.
While guys on the internet can't have any stickers or painted interior parts and can only buy parts that are deemed "acceptable" by everyone else.
/devils advocate

the diferent styles in the import scene change yearly based on region etc. It's alot like fashionable clothing etc. The hottest cars from 5 years ago would be called rice in a second today.
I'll admit the import scene isn't as fun as it used to be.
Before you were respected for do-it-yourself mods.
Now you are either a racer or poser.
Very valid case here. .

My .02 again...
You CAN have a loud car, and it'll look good, but you have to know what you're doing and generally spend a buttload of money on it.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:16 AM   #26
gregsr20
Zilvia Member

gregsr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
a ricer is a person who gets a kia sephia. slaps every type r badge he can imagine in the inside and out, adds a huge aluminum wing, neons, apc exhaust, with led exhaust tip, neons in the car, cheap kukimoto rae intake he bought at pep boys, painted factory wheels, and mmost of all THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS CD PLAYING IN THE CD PLAYER.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:18 AM   #27
gregsr20
Zilvia Member

when will the "ricers" realize, fast and the furious is ****ing bull****, its a slack ass attempt, so don't ruin your 75 hp kia, its not meant for that.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:53 PM   #28
KoukiS14
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by James
When will you realize:
It's their car --> they can do whatever the hell they want with it, and probably actually enjoy and have fun doing it.
The constant B_tching on the internet is pointless and might only prove you have low-self esteem and have to insult others to make yourself feel good.

Which is usually the case for people in real life who go around making fun of other people out loud.
If it's a really nasty lookin' car, and it makes me laugh. . it makes me laugh lol. . *shrug* not much to do about that.

But, you're right .. I give 'em thumbs up for finding something that they enjoy... And SOME of those cars, truly are fast.
Like the guy in town with the Hyundai Elantra. . (90 something) that claims to be the best rally driver in the city, and also claims he has a Spoon engine in there "Not sure which one," he says "but it's in there"

Old 01-22-2003, 02:21 PM   #29
gregsr20
Zilvia Member

what the **** ever, when people think about guys like us, they automatically thing abou those ****ing ricers, and i am sick and ****ing TIRED OF IT!!!!!!!!!, put that in your pipe and smoke it