Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
My turbo should be here Thursday or Friday, and go figure I'm going to be a musy mofugga Friday and Saturday. Hope to have it on Sunday, weld up the dump on Monday and then dyno by end of week.

GTX2867, .64 housing

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
g_mac530
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
g_mac530 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to g_mac530
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
then dyno by end of week.
GTX2867, .64 housing
Hey Cody, you going to strap the car down at Diehl Paving?? If you wouldn't mind I would like to stop by and see the car in action.
g_mac530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffandpuff00 View Post
@Seraphim38
Yeah I see that both you and the OP used the MVR(44mm) ewg, but I just figured if I used the shorter MVS(38mm) one I would be able to make it fit straight off the side. PSI should have the flange welded on today and ceramic coated tomorrow, so I think I should have a picture of it all installed next week.

Also I thought you need a smaller wg for more boost. I will be running 20lbs, so isn't the 38mm better at regulating the boost?

I figured the dump pipe would be loud, but I am running PBM straight pipe exhaust anyways and the cops here in Beaverton don't get too worked up about how loud cars are!
Wastegate sizing is funny. If you're running big boost you can get away with a smaller wastegate, as you're putting most energy through the turbo itself. If you're running smaller boost you would want a larger gate, as it helps vent more pressure and has more control.

In theory, a larger gate typically works better than a smaller gate on a normal street car that isn't running huge boost all the time...but in the same regard, that does not me the smaller gate won't work equally either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_mac530 View Post
Hey Cody, you going to strap the car down at Diehl Paving?? If you wouldn't mind I would like to stop by and see the car in action.
I'm really fraekin hoping to. Deihl now rents the garage to another company so I'm still working the logistics out of it all. I'll let ya know.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Wastegate sizing is funny. If you're running big boost you can get away with a smaller wastegate, as you're putting most energy through the turbo itself. If you're running smaller boost you would want a larger gate, as it helps vent more pressure and has more control.

In theory, a larger gate typically works better than a smaller gate on a normal street car that isn't running huge boost all the time...but in the same regard, that does not me the smaller gate won't work equally either.

I'm really fraekin hoping to. Deihl now rents the garage to another company so I'm still working the logistics out of it all. I'll let ya know.
if you run too large of a wastegate you can drop a few psi when it opens. this is because a 38mm hole with the diaphragm open 1/8 of an inch will move much less air than a 44mm hole open the same 1/8 inch. if the wastegate diaphragm has a minimum movement of 1/8 of an inch; but will pass too much gas at that lift (38mm vs 44mm hole) to keep the boost level steady, the wastegate is too big. if the wastegate hole is too small boost will overshoot the target boost. this is where the high boost low boost small gate big gate come in.

just to add, i run a 38mm at 18 psi and still see a small drop in psi when the gate opens.
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote