Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #2941
s14fbs
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
s14fbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14fbs
pbm hmic does not block air flow to the radiator my water temp dropped 15-20 degrees from the fmic i ran on hot days
s14fbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #2942
dopplganger1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
dopplganger1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Huffandpuff^^^ I have an Isis manifold now but still have my stock one. And I've seen you're setup list and have been waiting for you to get it running to see the results especially since your local. What shop is tuning yours?

For the hmic from what I've read it should be fine and also given that up here we have generally cold weather that should give some aid right? and also if I'm running e85 combustion temps will be lower also and shouldn't that help even if I am bringing in air that's a lil hotter?
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
dopplganger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #2943
dopplganger1
Zilvia Member

Towlie- how much clearance would you gain with the mid mount outside of the core? Because I've had an Isis intercooler and a mishimoto both front mount and have been able to tuck them up pretty well I had to make my own brackets for the mishimoto but I still had to much piping imo
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #2944
towlie
Post Whore!

towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopplganger1 View Post
Towlie- how much clearance would you gain with the mid mount outside of the core? Because I've had an Isis intercooler and a mishimoto both front mount and have been able to tuck them up pretty well I had to make my own brackets for the mishimoto but I still had to much piping imo
I don't have anything specific in mind yet, I've always ran eBay ic (yeah whatever) and it sits completely terrible.. I just wanna make it so it sits nice and high off the ground.. Up past the headlight brackets if that makes sense

But I figure it shouldn't block airflow to the rad becuase air can still flow behind it

I'm buying some metal brackets from summit and ill figure something out lol
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #2945
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14fbs View Post
pbm hmic does not block air flow to the radiator my water temp dropped 15-20 degrees from the fmic i ran on hot days
Congrats your Coolant temps went down. The thing about that is, either way they will rise, and your fans will take over.

What you don't know is your intake temps are through the roof.

Ask me how I know.

It's a shitty IC. Period.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #2946
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by towlie View Post
I was set on the PBM HMIC until I started doing homework.. It looks like an ideal concept, but it seems to limit airflow to rad :/

Zach, once your cars running youll have to give us an extended review

I will proabably purchase ebay/cxracing fmic kit, flip it upside down w/ custom brackets so it sits nice and high (ive already destryord one and dented another with the shit brackets they include), then jimmy up the piping for shortest possible length.

Best of both worlds imo.. cost efficent, stupid massive core, nice position, and low pipe length

like this kindof (except outside the core support)

Thoughts?
I ran mine like this remember? Coolant temps were really high, i built that shroud in the front to try and battle that. Mine is still upside down, but not so close to the radiator. Alot better.
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #2947
towlie
Post Whore!

towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Lol nah I don't remember but ill have to look closer next time I see you car.

You get it back from psi yet? Aem solve your issues? What kind of numbers u put down?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #2948
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
I'm using a ka aem ems on an sr, so they had a little bit to work on. It's running, they did cold and hot start maps, dyno in the morning. I'll post up.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #2949
towlie
Post Whore!

That's kinda funky but use what you got right lol..

I hope this solves your a/r issues

Sounds promising tho
Old 02-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #2950
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

before

now
Old 02-13-2013, 02:53 AM   #2951
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
this was my original mid mount setup before switching to oem fan/shroud. it would get warm, but never over heated. its what i made 330whp/315tq at 18lbs with.

this intercooler and pbm hmic are around same total cubic inces, pbm placement just puts it out of airflow. ducting can fix that.
huffandpuff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #2952
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

A sidenote, adding an oil cooler droped coolant temps alot too. Drifting without was 230+, drifting with one it's hard to get to 210.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #2953
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
I'm going to use my GReddy core and have it fabbed up to be the same concept as PBM, with the pipes shooting straight back, but it's going to be a front mount. Where it belongs.

My coolant temps with the PBM actually ROSE.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #2954
MedHat240sx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
MedHat240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone know where to get a t3 exhaust housing with a internal wastegate with flapper for a GT2871r?????
MedHat240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #2955
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

And clutch friiiiiiiiied.
The high tq number is from the spike when the clutch slipped. couldn't go any higher without the loop-da-loop.
16 lbs of boost.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #2956
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808
ATPTurbo

msglnt
* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #2957
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Dang you have the worst luck with clutches!
huffandpuff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #2958
towlie
Post Whore!

Yeah man that ic is exactly what I had in mind.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #2959
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Actually it's the same clutch as before. When we thought it was slipping, it was actually the gt2871 compressor wheel grinding the housing lol.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #2960
jdo180
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
jdo180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
need feedback !!
mods....
late model 180sx blacktop
gt2871r .64 t25 style housing
power fc w/ map
apexi head gasket
arp head studs
stock exhaust manifold
tomie outlet
full exhaust
fmic
new valve guides and seal in head
stock bottom end
stock cams
1000cc injectors
16psi

300 and 289 torque

sound about right for 16pounds or should i find another tuner???
jdo180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #2961
boniomario
Zilvia Member

boniomario is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdo180 View Post
need feedback !!
mods....
power fc w/ map
apexi head gasket
arp head studs
stock exhaust manifold
tomie outlet
full exhaust
fmic
stock bottom end
stock cams
1000cc injectors
16psi

300 and 289 torque

do you have a fuel pump and FPR for the injectors?

sounds in the region but I know for a fact you can get more out of it, closer to 350 if the tune is done right
Old 03-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #2962
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
need feedback !!
mods....
power fc w/ map
apexi head gasket
arp head studs
stock exhaust manifold
tomie outlet
full exhaust
fmic
stock bottom end
stock cams
1000cc injectors
16psi

300 and 289 torque

Sounds roughly in line for 16 psi on stock cams. Get cams - the stock ones are really mild and hold the power back around 300 rwhp big time. 16 psi is also pretty low boost, run more if you want more power.

If you really want the "big boy" dyno numbers, be prepared to deal with phantom knock at all times, and serious knock when it gets hot and you wail on the engine. There is no free lunch when it comes to "good dyno numbers" - as more timing will make more power on pump gas, beyond where knock starts.

It doesn't take skill to tweak up the timing to unsafe levels, it takes skill to know when to stop and say "this is safe, and beyond that will not be safe when you drive the car hard because your EMS designed in the 90's doesn't have much in the way of safeguards and advanced trim maps."

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniomario View Post
do you have a fuel pump and FPR for the injectors?

sounds in the region but I know for a fact you can get more out of it, closer to 350 if the tune is done right
Never getting 350 rwhp out of a stock cam SR and a .64 2871R. He does need a fuel pump (I would assume it's done with 1000 cc injectors), but not a FPR.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #2963
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsChassisLove View Post
Congrats your Coolant temps went down. The thing about that is, either way they will rise, and your fans will take over.

What you don't know is your intake temps are through the roof.

Ask me how I know.

It's a shitty IC. Period.
Preach On!

I tried telling people this forever ago, yet the drifters wanted to banish me to cool guy island hah.

Edit: Seriously though, I think most gains people see with the PBM High Mount is due to upgrading from a really shitty core, to a less crappy one.

Quote:
300 and 289 torque

Sounds about right for stock cams. Put a set of JWT S3 or S4's, or HKS 264s or Tomeis, and you should make an EASY 50more whp.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy

Last edited by codyace; 03-04-2013 at 02:47 PM..
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #2964
boniomario
Zilvia Member

boniomario is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
Sounds roughly in line for 16 psi on stock cams. Get cams - the stock ones are really mild and hold the power back around 300 rwhp big time. 16 psi is also pretty low boost, run more if you want more power.

If you really want the "big boy" dyno numbers, be prepared to deal with phantom knock at all times, and serious knock when it gets hot and you wail on the engine. There is no free lunch when it comes to "good dyno numbers" - as more timing will make more power on pump gas, beyond where knock starts.

It doesn't take skill to tweak up the timing to unsafe levels, it takes skill to know when to stop and say "this is safe, and beyond that will not be safe when you drive the car hard because your EMS designed in the 90's doesn't have much in the way of safeguards and advanced trim maps."

Never getting 350 rwhp out of a stock cam SR and a .64 2871R. He does need a fuel pump (I would assume it's done with 1000 cc injectors), but not a FPR.
Right I did not see that his AR was 0.64 with stock cams ... do what ^^^ he says or what Codyace says and you will get there
Old 03-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #2965
dopplganger1
Zilvia Member

Why the 1000cc injectors with that power? that seems to be over kill even if you ran E85
Old 03-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #2966
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopplganger1 View Post
Why the 1000cc injectors with that power? that seems to be over kill even if you ran E85
lol, comes down to "why not?"
Old 03-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #2967
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by di-devol View Post
lol, comes down to "why not?"
Of course.

There is never "Over Kill" on injectors.

having 1000cc injectors doesn't mean you are running full 1000cc all the time.
Always good to have bigger injectors so you won't max out.
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #2968
Seraphim38
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
Seraphim38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Seraphim38
Of course there is overkill on injectors: too much injector and the ECU can have problems getting it to idle as it dishes out too much fuel even when dialed back as far as possible.

Apexi Power FCs don't like low impedence injectors and don't like injectors over 800cc, unless they are Injector Dynamics. (I have IC1000s and at my last dyno session, 340rwhp, 18 psi, 342rwhp, 51% was the max duty I ever needed). Now that I have upgraded from my 2871, we'll see if I can max them out

I bought 1000cc top feeds anticipating that I could move up to a larger turbo later without having to buy new injectors. It turned out to be a good idea...
Seraphim38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #2969
jdo180
Zilvia Member

jdo180 is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for all the feedback guys..

and yes i am running a walburo pump with a nismo adjustable fpr..
was wanting to run the 2871 at 19-20 pounds hoping for 335-350 with my set-up ... sound right?

and im running 1000cc because im going to be running e85 mid summer
just running 91 now..

and ya after reading thought this tread all day ill have to do some cams before switching fuel types..
jdo180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #2970
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
At 16psi you should be around 320 minimum, i tune 93octane an see this regularly with very little work and stock cams. The stock cams usually bang out around 330-335 when boost is turned up to 17-17.5psi, running the 2871r, 555cc or larger and z32mafs. I know that with just an intake cam(256) you can hit 350. I know some new enthusiast choose for me to tune this setup, because the vacuum is still strong with the stock exhaust cam.
It's now my recommendation for 350-370 power range. After a year or so, you'll be wanting more anyway.

My bad you have the gt28r compressor housing, never really pushed that housing on a 2871r, so maybe it flows like the gt28r? if that's the case you are actually right were you should be.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote