Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #2851
240sx123$
BANNED

Trader Rating: (2)
240sx123$ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My mechanic aligned my car on a Hunter alignment rack, and the results were okay, but slightly inconsistent. He told me I need RUCA's and a front camber kit to adjust camber so its even on both sides. The rear is the main offender. So I bought some SPL RUCA's, and I was wondering..

A) Should I wait to install them until right before going back for an alignment?

B) If I decide to install them now, can I simply hold up the stock ones to the new ones, and use that as a basis of measurement for length? In my mind this would allow me to install them now, without affecting the current alignment.

C) Are there camber plates available for strut/spring combo's, or do I need to use the camber bolt kit for the front?

Car is an s14 by the way.
240sx123$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #2852
VNG704
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
VNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Will the front strut brace from DC Sports for the S14 fit with an sr20? Not sure if there is any clearance difference between the ka and sr.
VNG704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:06 AM   #2853
240sx123$
BANNED

With which SR? I know itll fit with an S13 SR, but ive never worked on an S14 SR so i cant be sure on that.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #2854
VNG704
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
VNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sx123$ View Post
With which SR? I know itll fit with an S13 SR, but ive never worked on an S14 SR so i cant be sure on that.
S13 SR in S14, thanks.
VNG704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #2855
240sx123$
BANNED

Yeah thatll fit no problem.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #2856
bnadeau73

Trader Rating: (4)
bnadeau73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftnuts View Post
hey guys i need help here i did a clutch master and clutch slave on a friends car. He still has barely any pressure at all. Know what it could be? I tightened everything even the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder is tight. OH and its really hard to put in gear!
The clutch system take a long time to bleed, longer than brakes. Just keep pumping and bleeding it until it is good. I can't remember if there is a bleeder valve on the master, but if there is try there first until the air is out, then go to the slave cylinder.

-Brandon
bnadeau73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:18 PM   #2857
driftnuts
In time-out for misbehaving.

Trader Rating: (1)
driftnuts is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
found out it was the clutch block thanks guys!
driftnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:18 PM   #2858
RNGWLD
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
RNGWLD is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
[QUOTE=driftnuts
hey guys i need help here i did a clutch master and clutch slave on a friends car. He still has barely any pressure at all. Know what it could be? I tightened everything even the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder is tight. OH and its really hard to put in gear![/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnadeau73 View Post
The clutch system take a long time to bleed, longer than brakes. Just keep pumping and bleeding it until it is good. I can't remember if there is a bleeder valve on the master, but if there is try there first until the air is out, then go to the slave cylinder.

-Brandon
Delete the clutch dampner. It takes like 5-10 mins to bleed it then.
RNGWLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #2859
Wake
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (8)
Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wake Send a message via Yahoo to Wake
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sx123$ View Post
My mechanic aligned my car on a Hunter alignment rack, and the results were okay, but slightly inconsistent. He told me I need RUCA's and a front camber kit to adjust camber so its even on both sides. The rear is the main offender. So I bought some SPL RUCA's, and I was wondering..

A) Should I wait to install them until right before going back for an alignment?

B) If I decide to install them now, can I simply hold up the stock ones to the new ones, and use that as a basis of measurement for length? In my mind this would allow me to install them now, without affecting the current alignment.

C) Are there camber plates available for strut/spring combo's, or do I need to use the camber bolt kit for the front?

Car is an s14 by the way.
A) If you dont want your tires to wear unevenly i would wait until the alignment.

B) Yes, for the most pat

C) Camber bolt is cheaper and easier, but there are companies that make camber plates but you may need to get smaller (dia.) front springs.
S.P.P.S. Member #00
**CoUpe LOve** Member #00
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #2860
240sx123$
BANNED

Thanks man!
Old 09-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #2861
herbieS13
Zilvia Junkie

herbieS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to herbieS13
so today i did a 3rd gear pull (i rarely get on my car but like to open it up every now and then) roughly 4000rpm when i downshifted to 3rd hit full boost and around 6000-6500rpm i was completely engulfed in smoke, smelled kinda like oil, checked the turbo on the conpressor side little to no oil residue found. checked hot pipe same thing, motor was rebuilt roughly 6000k miles/1 year ago, any ideas on what it could be? i'm thinking it could be the valve cover/spark plug gasket, hoping its not a piston ring but can anyone give me some insight or an opinion on what it could be and how to check it if it is a bad piston ring? my setup as far as what i think is important to know - redtop sr bc stroker kit, 262 cams, valve spring retainers, arp head studs cometic head gasket acl bearings gt2871r

edit please pm me!!
herbieS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:35 AM   #2862
IrvinAmbil

Trader Rating: (0)
IrvinAmbil is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is Rodknock and what causes it?

Is Rodknock fixable? If so how??

Do you have to entirely fix the engine or whatever?

thanks

Last edited by IrvinAmbil; 09-25-2010 at 01:46 AM.. Reason: Found answer to my previous question
IrvinAmbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #2863
thenooblet
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
thenooblet is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvinAmbil View Post
Is Rodknock fixable? If so how??

Do you have to entirely fix the engine or whatever?

thanks
taken off of a euro forum
Quote:
well rod knock is something to be worried about. If you are hearing rod knock I would stop driving the car and take it to your mechanic. I had rod knock on my 944 turbo and my rod bearing was worn and close to breaking. If this happens you will most likely send your crank into the block and need a new motor. If caught early enough like mine on the 944 you can remedy it for cheaper than a new motor. It will still cost a pretty penny because the bottom end of your motor probably needs to be removed to fix the bearings. But i suggest if you have rod knock DO NOT drive the car
thenooblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #2864
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
have you guys ever read the last pages of all the forums? The last page on chat has alot of wierd stuff lol, its pretty cool. Kinda like a time capsule
Old 09-25-2010, 02:19 PM   #2865
akina_speedstar

akina_speedstar is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought I saw some where before that the KA was turbo charged form factory at one point now I cant find anything saying yes or no can some on give me a straight answer please and thank you.
akina_speedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #2866
Wake
Premium Member

Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
NO KA was ever turboed from the factory not even JDM ones.

There were High Compression Single cams randomly over here but thats it.
I believe a supercharged V6 was offered in some of the same trucks that the KA came in but no supercharged KAs either
S.P.P.S. Member #00
Old 09-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #2867
.jrmyrmx
Leaky Injector

.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice
My clutch has no feedback anymore and it wont shift into gears. I checked and there is fluid but it is dirty. how do i figure out which to replace, the slave cylinder or the master, and can i do it without special tools? Also, I dont have to mess with the master brake cylinder at all right?
.jrmyrmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #2868
Wake
Premium Member

Replace both master and slave. About $30 for both at most parts stores. If you still have issues its going to be clutch/TO bearing related.

Leave brake master alone.
S.P.P.S. Member #00
Old 09-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #2869
akina_speedstar

akina_speedstar is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks wakeBHR
akina_speedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #2870
.jrmyrmx
Leaky Injector

.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeBHR View Post
Replace both master and slave. About $30 for both at most parts stores. If you still have issues its going to be clutch/TO bearing related.

Leave brake master alone.
awesome, thanks! do i have to do anything special after i throw them in or can i just fill it up and drive? this small questions thread is great, i hope more people start using this instead of posting on answer questions in new threads.
.jrmyrmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #2871
icycooL

icycooL is an unknown quantity at this point
I have another small question I need help with.

For some reason my headlights are stuck up. When I try to put them down manually they go down then pop back up again automatically. I'm certain the fuses are fine, the motor is fine, obviously because it's working automatically. It's just not going down when I turn the headlights off. Anyone have a clue why?
Old 09-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #2872
.jrmyrmx
Leaky Injector

did you push the button on the left side of the steering wheel which keeps the headlights up after you turn them off?
Old 09-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #2873
Wake
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .jrmyrmx View Post
awesome, thanks! do i have to do anything special after i throw them in or can i just fill it up and drive? this small questions thread is great, i hope more people start using this instead of posting on answer questions in new threads.
I agree, this thread certainly has served its purpose. Still seems like more people need to know about it tho. Still a ton of stupid pointless threads.

Anyway yeah replace them, you should remove the bleeder block at the same time if you have already done so. Bleed the system. tighten everything up and top it off if needed, then drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icycooL View Post
I have another small question I need help with.

For some reason my headlights are stuck up. When I try to put them down manually they go down then pop back up again automatically. I'm certain the fuses are fine, the motor is fine, obviously because it's working automatically. It's just not going down when I turn the headlights off. Anyone have a clue why?
pull out your headlight switch and se if the brown wire is cut behind it. If it is somebody already did the lazy, non-lit, sleepy eye "mod".
S.P.P.S. Member #00
Old 09-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #2874
EndLeSS8
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
EndLeSS8 will become famous soon enoughEndLeSS8 will become famous soon enoughEndLeSS8 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I'm running 8mm spacers in the front of my S14
Front inner fender linings removed, and hammered/rolled in front

I tried to switch to 10mm spacers in the front this morning, and suddenly I'm rubbing tire to fender under regular braking, only on the driver side. It's wierd because it's only my driver's side, not passenger

I switched back to my 8mm spacers and no problems again.

Which part of the fender do I need to roll/hammer more to stop the tire rubbing under regular braking? Front of fender? Rear of fender?
Will rubbing occur under turns?

Thanks in advance, peace.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #2875
Wake
Premium Member

are you sure its not rubbing on your wiring harness?
S.P.P.S. Member #00
Old 09-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #2876
EndLeSS8
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
EndLeSS8 will become famous soon enoughEndLeSS8 will become famous soon enoughEndLeSS8 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I don't think it's the wiring harness, because my S14 is green, and I put touchup paint on the underside of front fenders after the hammering/rolling (Had some very small paint cracks in the inner metal lip of front fenders)
After driving for 10 minutes with my 10mm spacers, the driver's side tire has some green paint on the sidewall of the tire.

Wiring harness has been completely tucked and ziptied up to as close as the body as possible. I only rub the harness when I do full lock left turns (usually when I exit my garage or pull into parking spots).

This is kinda strange to me because I'm not super slammed. Here are some pictures of my front driver's side fender setup. Front tire is 225/45/17 with +17 offset -8mm = +9

Edit: hmm I checked again this morning, and I have less than 2 fingergap's worth of space from fender to tire, so I guess this is why even with the extra 2mm it's rubbing.

Last edited by EndLeSS8; 09-26-2010 at 01:14 PM..
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #2877
icycooL

icycooL is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by .jrmyrmx View Post
did you push the button on the left side of the steering wheel which keeps the headlights up after you turn them off?
Yes I have, and I think that may be the problem. The button could be broken, I'll have to check it out.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #2878
hartig
Zilvia Member

hartig is an unknown quantity at this point
how good is the isis radiator quality-wise? it says its comparable to koyo, but obviously they're going to talk up their own product.
i'm asking because my radiator is leaking and i need a new one.
hartig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #2879
bnadeau73

bnadeau73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartig View Post
how good is the isis radiator quality-wise? it says its comparable to koyo, but obviously they're going to talk up their own product.
i'm asking because my radiator is leaking and i need a new one.
A 2 core copper Koyo radiator will work wonders and it isn't that expensive.
bnadeau73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #2880
doomviillain
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
doomviillain is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to doomviillain
me again. a question about the butterflies on an s13 KA. I took mines out cuz i plan on boosting it soon. Whats the consequence if you dont weld those holes shut? will it cause too much air turbulence for each cylinder or what?
doomviillain is offline   Reply With Quote