Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #2791
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Damon, let's get some landscaping up in this thread. And start mowing the grass diagonal. Ask Toby for pointers at the BBQ.

I would say something like 'awesome build' or 'I hate those wheels' but c'mon cars are dumb..
Old 09-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #2792
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te37 View Post
I'm sorry, the car is built amazing, but the rims make me not like this car.
is this a for-real post? or is it pretend?
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #2793
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
is this a for-real post? or is it pretend?
Look at his SN, TE37 or death mofos
Old 09-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #2794
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
gbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoukiMonsta View Post
Look at his SN, Grids or death mofos
I gotchu bebe.
gbaby2089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:33 AM   #2795
kraven9
Zilvia Member

kraven9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Car looks great as usual. Nice pics.
kraven9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #2796
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
I finally got the brass to attempt driving this thing yesterday. So many suspension changes always make me nervous after getting it all back together, but it went fairly well. I still have some rubbing to address on all four corners, so I'll set out to do that early this week as I have time. Feels great to drive it though!

Just under four weeks until the trip down to Toby and Kyle's!

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #2797
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Next year I have to make it out there. Once I have something to show lol
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #2798
drscooper
Zilvia Addict

drscooper is an unknown quantity at this point
very nice, must feel great to drive it and see it come so far!
drscooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #2799
Levan. B
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
Levan. B is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
I finally got the brass to attempt driving this thing yesterday. So many suspension changes always make me nervous after getting it all back together, but it went fairly well. I still have some rubbing to address on all four corners, so I'll set out to do that early this week as I have time. Feels great to drive it though!

Just under four weeks until the trip down to Toby and Kyle's!
Do your rear wheels hit your chassis on the inner lips?

Lookin gangster as always.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #2800
Darren
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nice work Damon! looks really good
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #2801
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levan. B View Post
Do your rear wheels hit your chassis on the inner lips?
I didn't think so, but upon a closer inspection last night they do. That must be the harsh rubbing sound I heard a couple times coming from the rear of the car. I took an angle grinder to the areas that were rubbing last night and applied fresh undercoating. I am going to try to take what camber out of the rear I can tonight and take it for a spin again to see if the problem has been corrected. Did you have the same issue with your setup?

After the rear is sorted out, I'm going to adjust the front to try to take care of the rubbing up there as much as I can. Then I'll hopefully be able to take it in for an alignment sometime next week!

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 09-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #2802
Levan. B
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Thanks guys!

I didn't think so, but upon a closer inspection last night they do. That must be the harsh rubbing sound I heard a couple times coming from the rear of the car. I took an angle grinder to the areas that were rubbing last night and applied fresh undercoating. I am going to try to take what camber out of the rear I can tonight and take it for a spin again to see if the problem has been corrected. Did you have the same issue with your setup?

After the rear is sorted out, I'm going to adjust the front to try to take care of the rubbing up there as much as I can. Then I'll hopefully be able to take it in for an alignment sometime next week!

Ah! I forgot your wheel specs but I just figured they would rub with your ride height regardless. I do have the same problem, But my car isn't as low as yours. It only rubs when I compress the suspension down. I did the same thing, Ground down the inner chassis a little bit. The only other option was a small spacer or less camber.

Better find a sweet in-ground alignment rack
Old 09-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #2803
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
My LMGT4's are 9.5 +23 effectively and I scrape the inside of the rim under hard compression... I need to remove some of the rear camber (currently at -5*) but can't do that until I roll and pull the rear fenders.

Levan, if you need an in-ground alignment rack PM me, I have a guy at Firestone I've been going to for years. Only person I let touch my car.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #2804
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Quote:
Ah! I forgot your wheel specs but I just figured they would rub with your ride height regardless. I do have the same problem, But my car isn't as low as yours. It only rubs when I compress the suspension down. I did the same thing, Ground down the inner chassis a little bit. The only other option was a small spacer or less camber.

Better find a sweet in-ground alignment rack
Ah yeah man, my wheels are 17x9.5 +10 (probably like +3 effectively with the widened FLCAs) and the rears are 18x10.5 +20. The front is really close to touching the coilover springs- probably about a sheet of paper between them, haha. I guess you can't really stuff much more wheel than this under an S13 on stock metal. I knew it would be more aggressive than my old setup, but I didn't think it would be this close. Glad it worked out for the most part- got lucky!

The place that did my alignment last time has a drive-on flush rack, but my oil pan and front subframe didn't clear the jack that sits in the middle of the rack or the lip of the ramps. They ended up getting some boards for me to get the car aligned on, haha. So hopefully they can do it again! I really just need the toe corrected more than anything.

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 09-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #2805
Levan. B
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post

Levan, if you need an in-ground alignment rack PM me, I have a guy at Firestone I've been going to for years. Only person I let touch my car.
Thanks man. I'll let you know if I end up needing it.

Quote:
Ah yeah man, my wheels are 17x9.5 +10 (probably like +3 effectively with the widened FLCAs) and the rears are 18x10.5 +20. The front is really close to touching the coilover springs- probably about a sheet of paper between them, haha. I guess you can't really stuff much more wheel than this under an S13 on stock metal. I knew it would be more aggressive than my old setup, but I didn't think it would be this close. Glad it worked out for the most part- got lucky!

The place that did my alignment last time has a drive-on flush rack, but my oil pan and front subframe didn't clear the jack that sits in the middle of the rack or the lip of the ramps. They ended up getting some boards for me to get the car aligned on, haha. So hopefully they can do it again! I really just need the toe corrected more than anything.
Dang yours must rub like crazy then. Mine are 18x10 +18.. I'm surprised you have room to pull camber haha.

You better bring more wood this time since it's lower! I'm sure when the toe is corrected it will help the rubbing some.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #2806
Te37
Zilvia Addict

Te37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby2089 View Post
I gotchu bebe.
Haters are going to hate.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #2807
EazyS13
Zilvia Member

EazyS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
god this car is sexy
EazyS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:43 AM   #2808
Kevin920415
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kevin920415 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Thanks Damon! They are in good hands now
Old 09-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #2809
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Quote:
Dang yours must rub like crazy then. Mine are 18x10 +18.. I'm surprised you have room to pull camber haha.
haha dang, crazy! I was able to take one turn of the RUCA's worth of camber out, but that's about it. Seems to be good now, knock on wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin920415 View Post
Thanks Damon! They are in good hands now
Glad you like them dude!

I went and got groceries yesterday, lol:

Finally getting an alignment this week. I'm considering going with a different turbo setup this winter to keep me occupied, but we'll see what happens. For sure starting to look into it a little bit though...

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 09-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #2810
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Just got it on the road. And already going under again. Must be nice to have the bread to throw.

Still stock internals?
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #2811
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Well, with the weather in my part of the country, the car won't be leaving the garage for 4-5 months anyway. Might as well find something to do to pass the time! I'm not 100% that I am going to do it yet, but I'm for sure strongly considering it.

I think the bottom end will stay stock for now. I'm also considering building up a second block over time as a long-term project, but who knows. Maybe I'm just dreaming, lol.

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 09-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #2812
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Should install a diaper changing table in the back of the hatch.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #2813
OutlawLui
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
OutlawLui is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Four door conversion
Old 09-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #2814
Darren
Zilvia Addict

Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
....I went and got groceries yesterday, lol:...
I like this, what's the point in building a street car if you can't do normal, everyday things with it!

To me, this is the sign of a well built car, stock-like functionality
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #2815
OiyItsC4ry
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
OiyItsC4ry is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
omg...so dope bro! Keep it up!
OiyItsC4ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #2816
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

^ Thanks man!

Well, it has been a while since I have done much of anything with the car to be honest. I've been kind of down on it lately. I took it to get aligned a week and a half ago, and everything went fairly well to begin with. The car has been jumping harshly to over large bumps and it was downright scrary to drive. I assumed this was due to the alignment.

Here are a couple pics from getting the car aligned:

Everything was pretty out of whack. The front was aligned to -6 degrees of camber, and the rear was all over the place at 3.8 on one side and 5.2 on the other. The tire was the same distance from the fender on both sides, which told me that my pull was not even. So that's on my list of things to address- I need to pull the driver's side a little bit more, and will probably do both to get to about -3 degrees of camber out back on each side.

The drive home was a nightmare. Not only was it dark out and raining (my wipers were not installed,) but the car was pulling like CRAZY over bumps. I couldn't safely exceed 45 MPH, and the car was constantly jutting into oncoming traffic or the shoulder of the road. What the hell? In addition to this, I hit two bumps in the road that resulted in very heavy impacts to my oil pan. After entirely too long of a drive, I finally got the filthy and jenky thing home safely, lol.

My initial assumption was that something I had changed on the front suspension caused the car to behave this way. I had just installed Ikeya Formula FLCAs to widen the front track of the car and add additional camber, as well as Kazama tie rod ends. The car did not behave this way prior to these changes and the new wheels, so I decided to simply return to my previous setup of stock S13 FLCAs and Tein tie rod ends.

Come to find out (only after tearing everything apart) my right front tire had no air in it. It was completely flat. Are you kidding me? I couldn't even tell aside from the car darting all over the road on large bumps. Anyway, pretty embarrassing discovery, but it seems to have a slow leak. I believe this is due to the wheel not being sealed properly after it was relipped, but I really can't say for certain until I have a chance to take the tire off and have it inspected. Regardless, I am excited to return to my previous setup that has less camber and is slightly higher off the ground. -6 degrees up front and the height I was at is just too wild for me- I need to be able to actually drive this thing, or I am not going to get any enjoyment out of it and I am going to need to move on.

Pretty frustrating and embarrassing. The car was filthy and had a myriad of issues hit all at once. I discovered the oil pan leaking when I got home, so that had to be removed and inspected. It's banged up, but I think the leak was simply from the seal being broken between the lower and uuper pans. Everything is back together now, and I am going to try taking the car out tonight to see how it behaves. I'm hoping that all of my issues are solved so that I can take the car down to Kyle and Toby's for his BBQ on Friday. I guess we'll see how it goes!

Sitting in the garage last night:

Oh, and I put my damn wipers back on too. lol.

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 10-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #2817
CleanAndLegit
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
CleanAndLegit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
car bouncing could be due to the fact that you have so much camber, your probably not used to it
Old 10-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #2818
spartanmisfit
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
spartanmisfit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Im sorry to do this, but why do you have soo many vertical lines in your garage? Is that drywall compound? Lol its driven me crazy for awhile.
spartanmisfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:29 AM   #2819
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Wow, insane!

My car was having similar issues of instability. Every time I would hit a bump the rear end felt very uneasy to say the least. In wet weather, the issue was 10 times worse. It ended up being my rear toe out of wack due to me adjusting camber manually.

Once I had the toe properly set, car was golden again. Hope you get everything worked out for the BBQ! Wish I could go.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #2820
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanAndLegit View Post
car bouncing could be due to the fact that you have so much camber, your probably not used to it
The car does bounce, but I didn't mention it doing that in my post. I think all low S13s on cheap coilovers bounce, haha. The steering wheel was suddenly jabbing to the left or right on bumps, causing the car to pull HARD to one side or the other. I looked like Ricky Bobby trying to fight the steering wheel and keep it on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanmisfit View Post
Im sorry to do this, but why do you have soo many vertical lines in your garage? Is that drywall compound? Lol its driven me crazy for awhile.
Bought it that way man. It's drywalled, taped & mudded, it just needs to be painted. I've been too busy making TYPE Xs and babies to paint it, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
Wow, insane!

My car was having similar issues of instability. Every time I would hit a bump the rear end felt very uneasy to say the least. In wet weather, the issue was 10 times worse. It ended up being my rear toe out of wack due to me adjusting camber manually.

Once I had the toe properly set, car was golden again. Hope you get everything worked out for the BBQ! Wish I could go.
I've experience the rear toe issue too, especially in the rain. This was clearly the front wheels/steering causing the car to jump around. The rear felt pretty stable the whole time. (TWSS)

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

I took the car out for a bit last night with the "new" old setup installed, and it drives really nicely. The leaking wheel/tire doesn't lose much air overnight, so I'll have to just keep an eye on it through the rest of the season (about a month.) The flat tire was for sure the cause of the car driving all wild-like.

I'm planning to drive it to work tomorrow, and then down to Kyle's place on Friday. Hopefully things go smoothly!

Gassing up last night:

CamryOnBronze.com