Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #241
racer98
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (128)
racer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 128 reviews
Send a message via AIM to racer98 Send a message via MSN to racer98
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer20 View Post
So which one is hard to swap an rb25 or the rb26. I am thinking of doing this swap down the road.
ASK your self these important questions.

1)How much money do I have to do this swap ?

2)Who will do the install ?
a-Shop.
b-You.

3)When I do buy a motor, what will be my goals with it?
a-Show.
b-Race.
c-Display.
d-Daily driver with a/c.

4) Will I be making a life changing choice with in the time period I plan to buy this RB motor packge ?

5) If I make a choice of buying the motor and I have to sell it all due to finanaces issues, how much money should I have on the side for this project?

6) How much in parts $ should I have on the side if I buy a builder RB motor.

7) What parts need to be changed out before installing an RB into my car

8) Who will do the intercooler piping.

9) Who will do the wiring

Figure a budget of $12K for the swap to be done properly for an RB26DETT swap,

Do not buy the mount kits. make your own and in the process of the swap corner balance the car while performing the swap. Will return the best results. This also goes the same for the oil pan as well.
racer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2008, 02:41 PM   #242
racer98
Post Whore!

racer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant future
btw; FD3S RX7 injectors are top feed (850cc) & (550cc) Stock
. Dont know if any one has tried this ????
Old 03-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #243
Behind Horizon
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Behind Horizon will become famous soon enoughBehind Horizon will become famous soon enoughBehind Horizon will become famous soon enoughBehind Horizon will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hello guys,

what kind of transmission mount member do i need for the S13 RB25DET Syko Performance kit ? Will the stock KA24DE fit or do i need a R33 GTS-t one ?

Thanks in advance.
Behind Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:18 AM   #244
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

kouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kouki_s14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Horizon View Post
Hello guys,

what kind of transmission mount member do i need for the S13 RB25DET Syko Performance kit ? Will the stock KA24DE fit or do i need a R33 GTS-t one ?

Thanks in advance.
either use the R33 GTS-T one or an AUTOMATIC KA transmission crossmember, they are both the same. Manual KA ones do not fit properly
kouki_s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #245
bloodangels13
Zilvia Junkie

bloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to bloodangels13
i was thinking of starting a RB25 project this winter and was wanting to do custom twin turbo set up... do aftermarket rb26 twin t28 style eghaust manifolds work on a rb25? i havent paid enough attention to the eghoust stud layout.. also what do you guys think about running twin gt28r s15 turbos on the rb25 with greddy intake mani q45 throttle body , mild cams , upgraded injectors and power fc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
This post was brought to you by the number: Rum
And by the letter: Go Fuck Yourself
And also by viewers like you.
bloodangels13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:44 PM   #246
Mi Beardo es Loco
Nissanaholic!

Location: A place where boob jobs ruined the best thing about being a fat chick.
Mi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodangels13 View Post
i was thinking of starting a RB25 project this winter and was wanting to do custom twin turbo set up... do aftermarket rb26 twin t28 style eghaust manifolds work on a rb25? i havent paid enough attention to the eghoust stud layout.. also what do you guys think about running twin gt28r s15 turbos on the rb25 with greddy intake mani q45 throttle body , mild cams , upgraded injectors and power fc?
Sounds good but also sounds costly. Pretty much sounds like a 10k project motor.

I really don't know much about rb's either and a friend of mine just got a great deal on an rb20 and was telling me that he's going twin also on that. I told him I didn't think the rb26 exhaust manifolds bolted up. After reading a little up on them a few things bolt up and are interchangeable but how about the exhaust manifold between the 20 and 26?
Mi Beardo es Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #247
bloodangels13
Zilvia Junkie

bloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of light
first a buddy of mine is a manager at a engine import shop so the RB motorset with trans will be at s very good price, also I can get some of the parts ill need while im in thialand this summer for cheap... that and my best friend works at a local Nissan dealer so all oem parts are employee cost..(get jdm parts thru nissan motorsports hotline) plus he can get me two new gt28r turbos for a sweet deal from nissan

Quote:

Last edited by bloodangels13; 03-21-2008 at 12:43 PM..
Old 03-14-2008, 12:48 AM   #248
GoodOl'S13
Zilvia Addict

GoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to GoodOl'S13
Where can i find intercooler piping for a S13 rb25 w/ Greddy IM?

+rep for help

Secret Society
GoodOl'S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:32 AM   #249
Mi Beardo es Loco
Nissanaholic!

Location: A place where boob jobs ruined the best thing about being a fat chick.
Mi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOl'S13 View Post

+rep for help
in a fabricators shop. Don't think anyone makes them for production.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:51 AM   #250
LloydXmas
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
LloydXmas is just really niceLloydXmas is just really niceLloydXmas is just really niceLloydXmas is just really niceLloydXmas is just really niceLloydXmas is just really niceLloydXmas is just really niceLloydXmas is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
alright thinking about ditching the ole' sr and going 26 with my s13, what places have good prices and good quality rb26 motors?
LloydXmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #251
swpdwgn
Leaky Injector

swpdwgn is making a name for him/her selfswpdwgn is making a name for him/her selfswpdwgn is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to swpdwgn
alright i just ordered an rb25det rear main seal for my r20det. im assuming the 20 and 25 seals are the same am i correct?
swpdwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #252
GoodOl'S13
Zilvia Addict

GoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfection
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi Beardo es Loco View Post
in a fabricators shop. Don't think anyone makes them for production.
Just found out mckinney has a intercooler kit for the S13 rb25.

Secret Society
Old 03-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #253
Mi Beardo es Loco
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Just found out mckinney has a intercooler kit for the S13 rb25.
really, oh shiz. how much? my buddy just got a rb20 and this might be of interest since I work in Temecula.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:29 PM   #254
Sicknick 3030
Leaky Injector

Sicknick 3030 has a reputation beyond reputeSicknick 3030 has a reputation beyond reputeSicknick 3030 has a reputation beyond reputeSicknick 3030 has a reputation beyond reputeSicknick 3030 has a reputation beyond reputeSicknick 3030 has a reputation beyond reputeSicknick 3030 has a reputation beyond reputeSicknick 3030 has a reputation beyond reputeSicknick 3030 has a reputation beyond reputeSicknick 3030 has a reputation beyond reputeSicknick 3030 has a reputation beyond repute
Also check out rb-performance.net, they have an intercooler kit for rb20/25
Old 03-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #255
Yum-Yum
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
Yum-Yum is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
will a s1/s2 shifter work for a NEO tranny? if not what about a z32?
Yum-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 01:21 AM   #256
Oo_Skyline_oO
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
Oo_Skyline_oO has much to be proud ofOo_Skyline_oO has much to be proud ofOo_Skyline_oO has much to be proud ofOo_Skyline_oO has much to be proud ofOo_Skyline_oO has much to be proud ofOo_Skyline_oO has much to be proud ofOo_Skyline_oO has much to be proud ofOo_Skyline_oO has much to be proud ofOo_Skyline_oO has much to be proud ofOo_Skyline_oO has much to be proud ofOo_Skyline_oO has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Oo_Skyline_oO
RB20 down pipe

I got a question, does anyone know if an SR down pipe will fit on a s13 chasi with mckinney mounts and RB20???
Oo_Skyline_oO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:29 AM   #257
GoodOl'S13
Zilvia Addict

Cool

http://mckinneymotorsports.com/products
$850 price for both kits with or w/o greddy IM

http://rb-performance.net/index.php?...id=9&Itemid=30
$325 rb25 stock IM
(Rb-performance doesnt offer a kit for the RB with greddy IM.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi Beardo es Loco View Post
really, oh shiz. how much? my buddy just got a rb20 and this might be of interest since I work in Temecula.

Secret Society

Last edited by GoodOl'S13; 03-23-2008 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: additional info
Old 03-26-2008, 01:13 PM   #258
swpdwgn
Leaky Injector

swpdwgn is making a name for him/her selfswpdwgn is making a name for him/her selfswpdwgn is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to swpdwgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by swpdwgn View Post
alright i just ordered an rb25det rear main seal for my r20det. im assuming the 20 and 25 seals are the same am i correct?
already asked this question once. never got an answer...

can anyone tell me if they are the same rear seals?
swpdwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:36 PM   #259
timlush
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
timlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to timlush
Shouldn't you have figured this out BEFORE you ordered??
timlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:47 AM   #260
timlush
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
timlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to timlush
Ok, do you have to hammer in the firewall on an S14 with the Syko mount kit?
timlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:40 AM   #261
bloodangels13
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlush View Post
Ok, do you have to hammer in the firewall on an S14 with the Syko mount kit?
'
that is a no on that one.... old miss information... look at there website for the details on the kit.. ive been lookin at it for awhile now but i forgot some of the small stuff

Quote:
Old 04-02-2008, 11:14 AM   #262
godzillarb
Zilvia Junkie

godzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to all
Oil starvation at high RPMs kills RBs!

The most common oiling system failures are the result of pump hardware failure and oil pickup starvation. Oil pickup starvation can cause pump failure. The best way to cause your oil pump to fail is to rev above 8000 rpm, or bounce off the rev limiter. Bouncing off the rev limiter and over-reving "shock" the pump, which will kill it in no time at all. As far as the oil pickup leading to failure, that will occur when the pickup sucks in foamy oil or air. Oil pickup starvation will occur on extreme longitudinal and/or lateral acceleration. Below is a list of some limits on the stock oil pump hardware from various generations and aftermarket companies.

* Stock BNR32 GTR pump - Max 7500 rpm. Maximum of 500whp for street or drag, and 450whp for road racing. If you decide to do a rebuild, throw the stock oil pump in the garbage and open up your wallet for a quality aftermarket pump.
* BNR33 or BNR34 wide drive pump - Max 7500 rpm. Maximum of 500whp. Throw these pumps out if you chose to do a rebuild.
* Nissan N1-spec pump - It's a stock pump with a higher rate pressure relief spring.
* Greddy pump - Max 8000 rpm. Maximum of 600whp.
* HKS pump - Max 8500 rpm. Maximum of 1000whp if drag racing, maximum of 800whp if road racing.
* Tomei pump - Max 9000rpm. Maximum of 1000whp if drag racing, maximum of 800whp if road racing. One of the most recommended aftermarket pumps available.

At the bare minimum, a quality aftermarket oilpan baffle is a must. This prevents the oil pickup from sucking foamy oil or air under hard acceleration and high G cornering. For a serious car, a quality aftermarket oil pan, combined with oil baffle, will provide the most reliability.

Oil coolers are another highly-recommended upgrade for ANY GTR, reguardless of level of modifications. The RB26 is a long engine with tons of bearing surfaces, and a cramped engine bay. Oil temperatures are already fairly hot in a stock RB26. Even Nismo bearings are unable to handle sustained oil temperatures of 110 degree's celcius. Companies like Trust, Tomei, and HKS all make excellent oil-cooling systems for the RB26.

Information taken from: http://hubpages.com/hub/nissan_rb26
Old 04-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #263
racer98
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzillarb View Post
Oil starvation at high RPMs kills RBs!

The most common oiling system failures are the result of pump hardware failure and oil pickup starvation. Oil pickup starvation can cause pump failure. The best way to cause your oil pump to fail is to rev above 8000 rpm, or bounce off the rev limiter. Bouncing off the rev limiter and over-reving "shock" the pump, which will kill it in no time at all. As far as the oil pickup leading to failure, that will occur when the pickup sucks in foamy oil or air. Oil pickup starvation will occur on extreme longitudinal and/or lateral acceleration. Below is a list of some limits on the stock oil pump hardware from various generations and aftermarket companies.

* Stock BNR32 GTR pump - Max 7500 rpm. Maximum of 500whp for street or drag, and 450whp for road racing. If you decide to do a rebuild, throw the stock oil pump in the garbage and open up your wallet for a quality aftermarket pump.
* BNR33 or BNR34 wide drive pump - Max 7500 rpm. Maximum of 500whp. Throw these pumps out if you chose to do a rebuild.
* Nissan N1-spec pump - It's a stock pump with a higher rate pressure relief spring.
* Greddy pump - Max 8000 rpm. Maximum of 600whp.
* HKS pump - Max 8500 rpm. Maximum of 1000whp if drag racing, maximum of 800whp if road racing.
* Tomei pump - Max 9000rpm. Maximum of 1000whp if drag racing, maximum of 800whp if road racing. One of the most recommended aftermarket pumps available.

At the bare minimum, a quality aftermarket oilpan baffle is a must. This prevents the oil pickup from sucking foamy oil or air under hard acceleration and high G cornering. For a serious car, a quality aftermarket oil pan, combined with oil baffle, will provide the most reliability.

Oil coolers are another highly-recommended upgrade for ANY GTR, reguardless of level of modifications. The RB26 is a long engine with tons of bearing surfaces, and a cramped engine bay. Oil temperatures are already fairly hot in a stock RB26. Even Nismo bearings are unable to handle sustained oil temperatures of 110 degree's celcius. Companies like Trust, Tomei, and HKS all make excellent oil-cooling systems for the RB26.

Information taken from: http://hubpages.com/hub/nissan_rb26

good info, but you might want to share with other people of certain vendors online selling JUN, HKS , Tomei oil pumps just selling a stock R34 Gtr oil pump, not even an N1 pump, should share more info on how to identify them,
Old 04-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #264
godzillarb
Zilvia Junkie

godzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to all
If I find info on how to tell the difference between the pumps I'll post that up.

But for now, to all the guys with stock pumps: don't beat too hard on your RB above 7500. A buddy of mine killed his RB26 because he was constantly hitting the rev-limiter in between shifts. 3 months later, the motor spun a bearing.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #265
Yum-Yum
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
Yum-Yum is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
im using a 96' 5 speed pathfinder slave cylinder on my NEO tranny, works fine.
Yum-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:34 PM   #266
tekon

tekon is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
http://mckinneymotorsports.com/products
$850 price for both kits with or w/o greddy IM

http://rb-performance.net/index.php?...id=9&Itemid=30
$325 rb25 stock IM
(Rb-performance doesnt offer a kit for the RB with greddy IM.)

does anyone know the specs of this intercooler? and does it fit s14's with rb25 swaps as well?
tekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:11 AM   #267
Rizzo

Rizzo is making a name for him/her selfRizzo is making a name for him/her self
Quote:

+rep for help

www.sykoperformance.com has what you are looking for. I just got my piping from them about a week ago.
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:57 AM   #268
wacerx

wacerx is making his/her stupidity well-knownwacerx is making his/her stupidity well-knownwacerx is making his/her stupidity well-knownwacerx is making his/her stupidity well-known
ok. im trying to find a kit that sells mounts for the stock crossmember. i know that most require the R33 crossmember but i dont want to buy a entire front clip. if using the stock x-member is not encouraged does anyone know where i can get just the r33 xmember?

also Mckinney says that when they do the wire splicing they will not wire up the a/c. how hard is it to wire up the a/c?
wacerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:16 AM   #269
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Tenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
last time i checked syko will wire up AC for a fee. but you have to get some custom AC pieces made to make it all play together nice.

and syko makes greddy IM piping.

and try to keep questions to the boards and and FAQS here
Tenchuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #270
Rizzo

Rizzo is making a name for him/her selfRizzo is making a name for him/her self
I am getting close to finishing my swap and I am running into a couple things I have searched for but cannot find.

This was a sohc ka24e 1990 s13. putting a series 1 rb25det in with syko mounts etc,

1. what throttle cable needs to be used with this swap? will a kade work?

2 I can not find a decent wire harness. I bought one from someone on here ( knowing it had a burnt wire or 2) but the wire had burnt all the way to the ecu connector and melted a small area around that pin. I can get the harness that was originally w/ the swap which has been converted by Syko Performance but it was converted for an s14. I did not think I would have so much trouble finding a s1 rb25 harness. IF someone has a stock harness (in good cond) they want to trade plus cash for a professionally converted harness hit me up.

3 I added an Earls oil cool 13 x 4 x 2 and #10 an lines. will i need to add extra oil? When car is running will I run the chance of oil starvation without adding more oil than what the dipstick should read?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote