Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #2491
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
silly question (and sorry if it's been asked already).

when trying to correct front suspension geometry on a lowered car, why hasn't anyone just re-drilled the bolt points for the front lower control arm where it bolts to the sub-frame?

EDIT: Yes I realize the sway bar and tension rod bolt points on the lower control arm would be a stupid angles in this scenario, but both of these are easily corrected imo.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #2492
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehundredoctane View Post
silly question (and sorry if it's been asked already).

when trying to correct front suspension geometry on a lowered car, why hasn't anyone just re-drilled the bolt points for the front lower control arm where it bolts to the sub-frame?
Read through the first few pages. It changes the relationship between the LCA and the steering rack/tie rods, and would make for some nasty bumpsteer. You'd have to move your rack up as well.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #2493
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think this bumpsteer problem is just as correctable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Read through the first few pages. It changes the relationship between the LCA and the steering rack/tie rods, and would make for some nasty bumpsteer. You'd have to move your rack up as well.
Couldn't you just put a spacer above the outer tie rods to correct that? The spl parts even include "T2024 spacers" that should work perfect.
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #2494
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by SicBastard View Post
Couldn't you just put a spacer above the outer tie rods to correct that? The spl parts even include "T2024 spacers" that should work perfect.
Unless you're low enough to need those spacers anyway. Then you have to think about the arcs of the control arm vs the tie rod. Are they going to be in sync now?

Old 03-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #2495
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
roboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobne View Post
I really need this kit for the s13 chassi. When will it be available??

is that the front control arm?? when is this gonna be available?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #2496
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

But then you could use a rack spacer like this, instead of installing it in this oreintaion you could rotate it 90 degrees clockwise. Your thoughts. . . ?
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #2497
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehundredoctane View Post

But then you could use a rack spacer like this, instead of installing it in this oreintaion you could rotate it 90 degrees clockwise. Your thoughts. . . ?
Ask nieko how he likes it. He moved his a little up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboticnissan View Post
S-chassis front lower arm/tension rod combo should be available this month according to Dan's last report.

Last edited by PoorMans180SX; 03-02-2011 at 06:04 AM..
Old 03-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #2498
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
isnt it gonna be the full package with the drop spindle?... and will they address the issue of having some kind of lock limiter for grip guys as i run pretty beefy 295s up front... i wants to buyz...
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #2499
Mobne

Mobne is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboticnissan View Post
Actually this is for the s chassi. Found the picture at side 50 or something.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #2500
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Anyone got a price estimate for the MAX kit? Are we looking at like 1k range?
singlecamslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #2501
Mobne

Mobne is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlecamslam View Post
Really hope its not that expensive because i want this kit
Old 03-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #2502
ballinnmiami240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
ballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I want those rack spacers......When can i buyz?
Old 03-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #2503
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripTerror View Post
isnt it gonna be the full package with the drop spindle?... and will they address the issue of having some kind of lock limiter for grip guys as i run pretty beefy 295s up front... i wants to buyz...
It's just the FLCA/tension rod combo. I highly doubt they will combine it with their knuckle service.

You could have them just do the ball joint mount drop on your knuckles, and not their angle kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinnmiami240sx View Post
I want those rack spacers......When can i buyz?
Driftworks GeoMaster - Offset Rack Spacers Driftworks Shop

Rack or spacers need to be modified for correct LHD fitment.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:20 AM   #2504
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Do people even SEMI read threads anymore? Holy shit...
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:26 AM   #2505
Slidin' Sam
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin' Sam is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
So, back in Jan. I was talking about a conversation I had with Shinji from HeyMan! about steering knuckles. He was explaining how if you shorten the knuckle too much, it makes the steering too fast, and the rear of the car will oversteer TOO much and your car will feel very loose.

Well flash forward to the other day. I was watching a TV show on NASCAR wrecks and stuff. I noticed that every time a car would spin out, the driver would countersteer the car (duh), but the steering angle was minimal! Then it dawned on me, NASCAR's need a lot of grip for the driving they are doing. I believe one way they get some grip is by the steering set-up. Their cars are set up with slower steering, which results in more rear grip.

I just thought I would try to explain this here, maybe it will help some people understand knuckles more, idk. Hopefully I made sense in this post, lol
Old 03-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #2506
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Slower steering ratio gives you no more grip.

Faster steering is only a problem if the driver is so unskilled they can't adjust to it.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #2507
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidin' Sam View Post
Well flash forward to the other day. I was watching a TV show on NASCAR wrecks and stuff. I noticed that every time a car would spin out, the driver would countersteer the car (duh), but the steering angle was minimal! Then it dawned on me, NASCAR's need a lot of grip for the driving they are doing. I believe one way they get some grip is by the steering set-up. Their cars are set up with slower steering, which results in more rear grip.
The other thing to consider with Nascar's minimal steering angle is the fact that they realyl don't need much to begin with...with the way they are setup, and to help the drivers for endurance, it takes only a minimal amount of wheel movement to make them go where they need to...if the wheels had huge arcs lock to lock, they'd be in much more accidents.

It's not so much grip dependent, it's just how to keep them safe at 190mph

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #2508
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

I think sometimes in Japan, philosophy trumps logic.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #2509
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
our cars suck in rear grip thats all
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #2510
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripTerror View Post
our cars suck in rear grip thats all

Well if they suck in rear grip, they REALLY suck in front grip.

It's really just that people suck at balancing the suspension, which is the reason this thread was made.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #2511
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nieko View Post
Do people even SEMI read threads anymore? Holy shit...
No, it's Zilvia. the answer to half of the questions on this site are 3 posts above the questions.

1. hey guys I got hot dogs at pinks, they're delicious.
2. man those dogs look good.
3. yum (mglngth)
4. i'm hungry now.
5. excuse me can you explain where you got these hot dogs from, I would like to try them out in my stomach someday.

WELCOME TO ZILVIA!!!
Old 03-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #2512
nieko
Post Whore!

nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Well if they suck in rear grip, they REALLY suck in front grip.

It's really just that people suck at balancing the suspension, which is the reason this thread was made.

THISSS.

I've noticed such huge improvements on my car.

I want to go to a damn road course and see what this thing can really do now.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #2513
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:
THISSS.

You will want to raise up your car. You'll find that you'll be pulling more lateral G's and needing much more suspension travel.

Just a little suggestion so you enjoy yourself first time out on track.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:39 AM   #2514
articdragon192
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
Quote:
THISSS.

I'm always ready to go...

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Can't find what you're looking for?
Here you go.
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #2515
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
THISSS.

yo I forget but did you get the driftworks spindles? I haven't bothered reading the last million posts hehe. if so let's hit up streets of willow. I was able to test out the front gp sports knuckles, but now with the driftworks knuckles I'm curious to know how they are.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #2516
Csomme
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
Csomme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdb View Post
yo I forget but did you get the driftworks spindles? I haven't bothered reading the last million posts hehe. if so let's hit up streets of willow. I was able to test out the front gp sports knuckles, but now with the driftworks knuckles I'm curious to know how they are.
Are you fucking kidding me? I hope this is a joke...
Csomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #2517
nieko
Post Whore!

Why do you hope it is a joke? I'm quite confused.

Oh, because of the not checking through the whole thread huh? lololol
Old 03-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #2518
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Honestly who the hell is going to read 84 pages to get one simple answer thats on page like 45.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #2519
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Honestly who the hell is going to read 84 pages to get one simple answer thats on page like 45.
Someone who is actually interested in learning instead of shoveling out their opinion to everyone.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #2520
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

I read all 84 pages already, i was talking about Nieko and his DW knuckles. Plus most of the info is on the first page.